Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Snoke has a pretty dope jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rough Lobster posted:

Snoke has a pretty dope jacket

It looked like poo poo EXCEPT for the slight suggestion that he was naked underneath it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It seemed vaguely Elvis-ish to me. I remember it having sequins, which may not be correct.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Allegedly, Rian Johnson wanted Jay-Z’s “Big Pimpin” to play during the throne room scene, but Disney vetoed that idea.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Well at least now that they've totally rehashed most of the OT, they can move on to new and exciting ideas in the upcoming movies.

Or maybe they'll just start copypasting poo poo from the PT's instead. Odds about 50/50

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

After seeing this three times now, yeah, I'm still gushing over the throne room brawl since seeing it again last night. Think it's become my favorite sequence in the entire saga. Not just the fight itself, but everything from the moment Rey is taken in by Ben. That fight though :stwoon: All the hits are so weighty, and everything feels so vicious. The choreography is just amazing. When Rey does that one flourish while yelling and looking angry, I love that so much, haha.

Also, relevant to my post, a boutique VFX studio is re-imagining the Vader vs Obi-Wan duel from ANH in the style of the fights from the ST. The teaser for it looks great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmOPXhFensg

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That is amazing and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just saw this.

I loved it. I'll have to give it some thought but it may beat out ESB as my favorite.
Seeing Leia finally use The Force was wonderful. It would have been easy to use that scene to kill her off since Carrie Fisher died but I'm glad they didn't. I was expecting her to die and Kylo to slaughter the TIE pilots that swooped in.

How in the hell they are going to write her out for the sequel is a mystery.

Luke's arc was also handled really well. Rey thinks he's cut himself off from The Force because he does not show up in her meditation. Then he force pulls the antenna off to defend against and you realize that he's never been more in tune. One must make the assumption that he could cloak himself from others using The Force to see/track him.
His projection trick at the end was a really nice surprise.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

teagone posted:

Also, relevant to my post, a boutique VFX studio is re-imagining the Vader vs Obi-Wan duel from ANH in the style of the fights from the ST. The teaser for it looks great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmOPXhFensg

I appreciate that they still look like old men waving around heavy, unwieldy swords, because that's an essential part of that scene that shouldn't be changed too much.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

Do you not see how incredibly obvious it is that this idea has become popular because it comforts nerds? Specifically, by allowing them to justify their love of Star Wars by dissociating it from George Lucas. Good lord! It's pretty much the entire purpose of people referencing it, and the whole problem is that it's become mythologized into a sort of "oh well, everyone knows Lucas pretty much pooped on a film reel and then it was Magically Edited into a movie. But that's just what I heard."

I said he helped out you weirdo. He obviously was involved with it the entire time.

But one person does not make a film by themself. It’s called collaborating and that’s what Lucas did on the first Star Wars.

Like they’re Tarantino’s movies, but Sally Menke edited the gently caress out of his films and made them the masterpieces they are known as. Her presence in his films are sorely missed.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

McCloud posted:

Well at least now that they've totally rehashed most of the OT,

Ya think so

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Question: there’s a shot of C-3PO at the end where he’s backlit with floodlight, and you can basically only make out his silhouette and his glowing eyes, looking like a classic alien. It feels like a reference to something but I can’t figure out what. My mind keeps traveling to the original cover of John Carpenter’s The Thing, but I don’t think that’s quite it

edit: I think it’s the glowing eyes from Ghostbusters II

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 24, 2017

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I said he helped out you weirdo. He obviously was involved with it the entire time.

But one person does not make a film by themself. It’s called collaborating and that’s what Lucas did on the first Star Wars.

Like they’re Tarantino’s movies, but Sally Menke edited the gently caress out of his films and made them the masterpieces they are known as. Her presence in his films are sorely missed.
Nobody says Quentin Tarantino "helped out" while making Quentin Tarantino movies. I have trouble believing you're not aware of the narrative being pushed by that message and the reason for it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

euphronius posted:

Hahah that is not well known.

It actually is though?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

s.i.r.e. posted:

It actually is though?

Everyone knows the best films are shot by men and edited by women.

Or shot and edited by women.

Men are trash.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

the real question is why the hell did he go from a janitor to being on the frontlines

He’s not an officer. He’s a regular soldier and that means one day you’re cleaning the latrine and the next you’re on the front lines.

I really liked this movie. Unlike TFA, this one stands on its own and tells a different story than what we’ve seen before.

I’m glad Ren decided to do his own thing by offing the “Supreme Leader” and assuming command himself. It’s cool that Rey is immediately intrigued by the dark side. She doesn’t turn but they played it up enough that it seemed plausible. There is a major rivalry between Ren and Hux that didn’t just disappear when Ren took over. I expect that to be a major plot point in Episode IX. Speaking of major plot points, Rey and Ren have a direct connection to each other in a way that Luke and his pops never had. Even with telephone operator Snape out of the picture, I expect that link to remain.

Honestly I believe this one will stand as one of the best of the series. If nothing else it clears out a lot of left over cruft from previous episodes and sets the stage for IX to tell its own unique story.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Saw the film for the second time today. It felt a lot shorter (or I guess a lot better paced) now that I knew the main story beats.

Throne Room fight continues to be amazing, and I noticed this time that while Rey was very emotive and angry, Kylo seemed like the one who was in control of his emotions and rather calm through the fight.

Also maybe I was just stupid and missed it on my first time, but I noticed the end of Canto Bight explicitly setting up Finn and Roses' character arcs in a single short exchange between them when they think they're cornered. Went something like
Finn: "It was worth it - to put a fist through their pretty city."
Rose, after freeing the big alien horse thing and letting it run off to join the others: "Now it was worth it."

Just thought that was neat for already setting up that Finn wants to destroy the things he hates, Rose wants to protect the things she loves, and just enough time passes between that moment and the Battering Ram Cannon (I wish they'd come up with a better name for that, but that's a minor nitpick) showdown that I kinda forgot that they already outright said what would happen. Or maybe I'm an idiot and just didn't see it, either works.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Weird movie. Cool movie, but weird. Much of it felt pointless and like they were just giving characters stuff to do (and inventing new characters to give them stuff to do) but not sure where it stands as a Star Wars movie. Vice admiral H should make it to a new fight, somehow.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ship fuel
So they needed a ticking clock, I get that.
but if their ships were not accelerating or changing course, what was eating up the fuel; electrical systems? Maybe the shield?
i would have appreciated either them saying the shield was depleting the fuel or whatever.
Ruined my immersion a bit.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Ship fuel
but if their ships were not accelerating or changing course, what was eating up the fuel; electrical systems? Maybe the shield?
i would have appreciated either them saying the shield was depleting the fuel or whatever.

they were accelerating sorry about your immersion

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Ship fuel

Space is an ocean in Star Wars.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Throne Room fight continues to be amazing, and I noticed this time that while Rey was very emotive and angry, Kylo seemed like the one who was in control of his emotions and rather calm through the fight.

Rey also notches the first three kills against the guards. Swift, aggressive, and brutal. She owns.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Like all ships in the SW universe, they are continuously accelerating "upwards", in addition to their other movements, so as to simulate continuous downward gravity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

Nobody says Quentin Tarantino "helped out" while making Quentin Tarantino movies. I have trouble believing you're not aware of the narrative being pushed by that message and the reason for it.

Lucas doesn’t work so good by himself. He works better with other people. So that’s the narrative I see. Because his Star Wars movie where he all control were very bad to me. And I tried to watch them again and they were almost impossible to get through.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Did SMG really get probed for spoiling the Star Wars 8 movie on the hundredth page of the Star Wars 8 thread? Who thinks "yes I'd love to keep abreast of the goon narrative around this film but I Do Not Want to know what happens in it"?

Lowtax please stop allowing the good posters to get probed for dumb bullshit like this, your forum is dying

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

One month no spoilers

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I find all this to be both capricious and arbitrary. Who benefits from this rule?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Keep the rule.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mameluke posted:

Did SMG really get probed for spoiling the Star Wars 8 movie on the hundredth page of the Star Wars 8 thread? Who thinks "yes I'd love to keep abreast of the goon narrative around this film but I Do Not Want to know what happens in it"?

Lowtax please stop allowing the good posters to get probed for dumb bullshit like this, your forum is dying

It's cool. Maybe he'll actually watch the movie with his time off

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Mameluke posted:

I find all this to be both capricious and arbitrary. Who benefits from this rule?

Suck it up

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Inzombiac posted:

Ship fuel

Star wars can do anything. I didn't realize this until a few days after I saw the movie and it makes it super dumb when you think about it.

Bip Roberts posted:

they were accelerating sorry about your immersion

This is the dumbest explanation for anything in a movie ever. This is clearly a case of you doing the work of the director by bridging the gap left. Its never mentioned or talked about that in space there is no friction or that star wars space has friction.

In reality, who knows how space combat really works. Maybe everyone will look back into all space combat movies like this clip of Zorak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEQ4fZmkctI&t=357s

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 24, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008

euphronius posted:

Hahah that is not well known.

That is like a hugely well known and ubiquitous piece of trivia.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Still waiting for Vulptex merch, because those foxes deserve so much more for their contribution to the film than the porgs - who are still absolutely adorable, but didn't add anything to the narrative, aside from a certain scene with Chewie, who lives up to his nickname

Parts of the film feel like they're trying to ape the MCU formula (shoving comedy into everything when it's clearly not needed), which doesn't really fit in the SW universe; especially not a numbered film

Maybe for a new spinoff with original characters...

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

You're right that it's not a Big Shocking Twist, but who said it was?

A whole shitload of people, dude. Come on.

The MSJ posted:

I think the funniest thing about The Clone Wars is the revelation that Boba Fett was not really part of the Mandalorian culture despite being a symbol of it for so long. After Jango got killed, he was mostly raised by bounty hunters Aurra Sing and Bossk before joining the business fully when he’s physically a teenager. He wears the armor more because of Jango than his heritage.

The Mandalorians are also actually pacifists who remained neutral in the Clone Wars, and the warrior race thing was part of a minority group who eventually took over the planet, before themselves being taken over by Darth Maul and then the Emperor himself. In other words, the proud warriors of Mandalore were the reason their entire culture was turned into tools of the Empire.

What Rian Johnson did with TLJ is just following the examples of Dave Filoni and George Lucas himself.

Boba Fett was never actually a Mandalorian though. All that Lucas ever established about him (in the background info that made it into early art books and promotional material) was that he was wearing Mandalorian armor, which the EU naturally ran absolutely wild with and blew up into something it was completely never meant to be.

From the way Dave Filoni tells it, George came to him wanting to do a Mandalorian arc, Dave showed him all the EU material they could draw from, and George basically just confusedly went: "But Boba Fett isn't a Mandalorian." Jango and Boba are hardscrabble, dark-complexioned salt-of-the-earth types who shamelessly scavenged their armor from a dead race of white-skinned Aryan warriors obsessed with societal conformity and notions of racial purity, and used it to ends that would appall the actual Mandalorians: to build their own rugged, individualistic identities operating in the gutters and societal margins, as mercenary bounty hunters and killers-for-hire willing to do anything and work for anyone in order to get ahead and make their way in the universe. The irony is that the Mandalorians would reject Jango and Boba simply because they aren't a part of their racial and ideological tribe, belonging instead to a detestable class of "common bounty hunter" (as the Mandalorian prime minister dismissively refers to Jango), even though Jango and Boba are clearly both specimens of peak humanity whose deeds and reputation have proven them equal to or greater than the greatest Mandalorian warrior.

Boba Fett not being a Mandalorian wasn't some attempt to be iconoclastic. It was going back to what Boba Fett was actually supposed to be, while adding depth by revealing the true nature of the Mandalorians who created the armor he wears.

e: And going back to the Luke issue: It's really not that I'm just so ardently against Luke experiencing any failure, but it would have been far more interesting and more acceptable if it was when facing some completely new challenge that comes with building and/or maintaining a Jedi Order, the kind of issue the Luke of ROTJ had never contended with at all and would be believably challenging for him. Like, if the ST had continued on from the conclusion of ROTJ naturally and featured a new Jedi Order being led by Luke, perhaps we could have delved deeper into the challenges of the Jedi Order staying true to the will of the Force while balancing the obligations of remaining accountable to the democracy it serves. This was a theme present in the PT but in the ST there could have been an opportunity to explore it in more depth and maybe even provide a solution which the PT Jedi couldn't figure out. If Luke tripped and stumbled in confronting this new challenge it would have come across as natural and understandable--and most of all, legitimately interesting--rather than as a simple regression of his character in service of some trite and played-out lesson. But of course then the ST would have had to deal with a large Jedi Order and fully present Republic political structure, both things which would have harked back to the dreaded PT and potentially lost them a small handful of dollars at the box office (at worst). Obviously that was never an option.

Anyway, that's just one idea. I'm not saying that's the one way it had to be. But the point is there are so many other ways the ST could have gone that would have moved the story forward without compromising the characters of the original heroes or undermining their past accomplishments.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 24, 2017

SgCloud
Oct 30, 2011
Edit: Found it more sensible to post my thoughts in the thread with spoilers allowed, which I missed before that. Sorry wasting space here.

SgCloud fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 24, 2017

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Saw movie. Never really been Star Wars fan. Have question

Why is the empire so bad exactly? As far as I can tell it's just dudes on a spaceship and something about the dark side or whatever but that doesn't mean they're bad governors or administrators

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Fixing the pacing and tone. Usual things. It’s pretty well known that Marcia Lucas pretty much helped make the film the masterpiece it is today.

Except that's not really true, as anyone who actually knows anything about the way the film was made knows that

• Lucas was the head editor who often worked personally cutting the film in the editing room along with everyone else (as Michael Kaminski of The Secret History of Star Wars documents) and even cut the gunport sequence, one of the best examples of editing in the movie, entirely by himself (as related by Richard Chew, the editor assigned to that scene);
  • Marcia was only in charge of editing the Death Star sequence and the deleted scenes of Luke on Tatooine (which she naturally pushed to keep in the film, contrary to George's instincts), with the rest of the work divided up between the other two editors no one ever talks about for some reason;
  • Marcia left Star Wars to work on one of Martin Scorsese's films before the final cut was even brought together (again, as Michael Kaminski notes);
  • the disastrous initial cut of the film which people always cite as evidence was done entirely by an editor named John Jympson who started working while filming was going on in Tunisia and whom George fired upon returning to England and finally viewing it, which specifically forced George to take a more active editing role;
  • and the famous disastrous screening which people also frequently cite as evidence of George's ineptitude was not only not as disastrous as it's often made out to be, but was in fact a cut which Marcia Lucas fully participated in (the fact is that the cut lacked Williams' music and completed special effects, making it hard to get a real sense of the film; also, there were actually two "first" screenings that often get mixed up in the telling, one for the Fox executives and one for George's friends; the reaction from the Fox executives was surprisingly quite positive while the reaction from Geroge's friends was more mixed).

The people who actually sully Marcia Lucas's legacy the most are the ones who inflate her role so much that people interested in the actual truth are practically forced to come across like they're downplaying her contribution, which is really not my intention at all. She was obviously a very talented editor who did a lot to make Star Wars the success that it was and she absolutely deserved every bit of her Academy Award. But that doesn't mean Star Wars was a lovely movie that she somehow made singlehandedly great through what must have been quite literally a miraculous feat of editing (that's really not how movies work), or that she deserves more of the credit than the actual creator, writer, and director, and co-editor of the movie. It means she was a good editor who contributed with many other people to making the film great. But the primary credit lies with the person who had a hand in all the aspects of production, whose unique vision and skill as a filmmaker made it all happen, and that shouldn't be controversial.

I'm pretty sure we've been over these facts time and time again this thread and you've probably been around for at least one of those occasions, so I don't understand why this has become necessary yet again.

echronorian posted:

I'd love to see Lucas' cut of ANH

Well I have some very good news for you.

Furia posted:

Saw movie. Never really been Star Wars fan. Have question

Why is the empire so bad exactly? As far as I can tell it's just dudes on a spaceship and something about the dark side or whatever but that doesn't mean they're bad governors or administrators

They had the unfortunate luck of getting saddled with the Homeric epithet "evil Empire" very early on, basically just because it was catchy and easy to remember. They could never quite recover from that reputation-wise and so they eventually just decided to lean into it and start blowing up planets and torturing beautiful princesses. A tragic case of nominative determinism more than anything else. Grand Moff Tarkin was actually a really nice guy when he wasn't on the clock. He was so laid-back he wore slippers in public, and he was quite active in combating sexual assault in his community (some dude was going around terrorizing women and getting away with it because he was some sort of European aristocrat).

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 24, 2017

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the galactic empire seems very british in the way it's based around a big naval power bullying smaller states

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Lucas doesn’t work so good by himself. He works better with other people. So that’s the narrative I see. Because his Star Wars movie where he all control were very bad to me. And I tried to watch them again and they were almost impossible to get through.
When someone asks about the fact that Lucas didn't direct all three of the OT and what that implies about his role in all of it, you take a very general idea like:

quote:

It’s pretty well known that Marcia Lucas pretty much helped make the film the masterpiece it is today.
(something that could be said of pretty much any good editor and their role in any great movie)
and blatantly skew it into:

quote:

The first film was kind of a weird disaster that was saved by the edit.
It's just super transparent as a way of attacking Lucas.

And then you manage to act all "good lord!! i was merely relaying what I've heard" when someone reacts to it. It's kind of stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

gohmak posted:

It's cool. Maybe he'll actually watch the movie with his time off

Posting god SMG should not be able to be probated for petty offenses such as spoilers. If he had that analysis without even watching the drat movie then that only serves to impress me more.