Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Combat Theory posted:

you dont need Bug Reports even

just look at this hot piece of 3.0 Live Goodness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB1q1nuCbYY

I like that every time he hyperspaces it spawns some more asteroids? What the hell is going on over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

"What is truth?" asks Pontius Pilate

"What is polish?" asks the Citizen

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Golli posted:

Thanks - that makes sense. It's not for me, but if it works and everyone is used to it.

Do companies like CIG have an internal IT staff who are dedicated to setting up and maintaining their networks, servers, workstations, etc? Making sure the security is up-to-date, creating standard builds for dev workstations, testing software updates (OS patches, etc) - or is it a collateral duty that someone does in their spare time?

If it is based on company size, what is a typical inflection point size-wise that the overhead of such a staff is typically incurred?

The video from a little while back, of the guy responsible for building their internal servers, made it seem like everything is pretty slapdash. They had a full content leak because Lando accidentally showed a url.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress
In terms of space games that actually exist, what are opinions on the following:

Everspace (I thought I'd read positive reviews in this thread)
COD: Infinite Warfare (seems to be positive opinions over the last few pages, on the understanding that it is still a sci-fi themed COD).

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Sarsapariller posted:

I like that every time he hyperspaces it spawns some more asteroids? What the hell is going on over there?

apparently hes hitting the 'random encounter' feature but it gives him the exact same 'random' encounter over and over, which happens to be some asteroids. the exact same asteroids.

i'm always shocked by how nightmarishly cluttered the hud and the cockpit views are in this game. real life military vehicles are getting closer to using outside mounted cameras to let the pilot see through the plane itself, meanwhile in the year 3000 people are trapped in a loving lobster pot with an excel spreadsheet being projected into their eyes

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
I'm going to start streaming Star Citizen 3.0 shitperformance just to make all the Citizen's happy, because they tell me all the time how much they appreciate it every time I even mention Star Citizen.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I turned on a Star Citizen Twitch channel just to get a laugh and holy poo poo you have to point your face at the ENGINE TURN ON button to press it to start your ship oh my god I'm dead

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ewe2 posted:

This guy completely forgot his analogy halfway into the second paragraph.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

juggalo baby coffin posted:

apparently hes hitting the 'random encounter' feature but it gives him the exact same 'random' encounter over and over, which happens to be some asteroids. the exact same asteroids.

i'm always shocked by how nightmarishly cluttered the hud and the cockpit views are in this game. real life military vehicles are getting closer to using outside mounted cameras to let the pilot see through the plane itself, meanwhile in the year 3000 people are trapped in a loving lobster pot with an excel spreadsheet being projected into their eyes

Okay, and they didn't set any boundaries for encounter spawns, and the spawns are persistent for everyone throughout the server. I guess this explains the asteroids all over Port Olisar.

It's like they tried to do Elite's unknown signal encounters without understanding that dropping out of supercruise puts the player in their own instance. There's no drat way you can have an mmo where one person's random spawns are visible and persistent. That's guaranteed memory overload.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Just disregard it. It's unenforceable.

iospace posted:

I think if they threaten, make a stink about it with the game news sites

Yeah they can p. much go gently caress themselves. Suing a backer over negative views would be a deathblow to them in the media.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
The equitable remedies clause is pretty meaningless because equitable remedies basically amounts to a judge having leeway to do whatever seems fair by weighing the interests of both sides. Which were available even without the clause. CIG can say they don’t have to show any impending harm, but good luck convincing a judge that something is unfair with no interests on your side of the scale.

So it’s like the no-refunds clause. It’s something written to scare people off, not to survive actual litigation.

I’m more interested in this part: “This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of California and the United States without regard to its conflicts of laws rules and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in Los Angeles County, California.”

So they’re abandoned the arbitration clause that I thought they used to have, and they’re insisting on being sued in open court in a consumer-friendly jurisdiction? An interesting choice.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah they can p. much go gently caress themselves. Suing a backer over negative views would be a deathblow to them in the media.

What part of the TOS says you can't exercise your first amendment rights? The injunction clause is only in play if you break another term of service, if I read it correctly.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

FailureToReport posted:

I'm going to start streaming Star Citizen 3.0 shitperformance just to make all the Citizen's happy, because they tell me all the time how much they appreciate it every time I even mention Star Citizen.

If you're doing it tonight, I might wander by your stream and say things to you. It all depends on if I get through my backlog of watching youtubes of kids reacting to things, and idiots reviewing terrible movies.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Remember when Notch stole the idea for minecraft, made it, sold it for billions of dollars, and hosed over his employees? Chris Roberts is way better at that stuff.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

XK posted:

This guy completely forgot his analogy halfway into the second paragraph.

You say that like it's a bad thing :confused: :colbert: :yarg:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

AngusPodgorny posted:

The equitable remedies clause is pretty meaningless because equitable remedies basically amounts to a judge having leeway to do whatever seems fair by weighing the interests of both sides. Which were available even without the clause. CIG can say they don’t have to show any impending harm, but good luck convincing a judge that something is unfair with no interests on your side of the scale.

So it’s like the no-refunds clause. It’s something written to scare people off, not to survive actual litigation.

I’m more interested in this part: “This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of California and the United States without regard to its conflicts of laws rules and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in Los Angeles County, California.”

So they’re abandoned the arbitration clause that I thought they used to have, and they’re insisting on being sued in open court in a consumer-friendly jurisdiction? An interesting choice.

Where is this new ToS, anyway? Just in case anyone wants to cite it.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I'm just going by what's quoted on page 3268. I don't care enough to actually download 3.0 (not that I even have an account) or wherever it originally came from.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Someone find the video of the guy beating Arena Commander with just a mouse.

A mouse using his feet

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Sat through the entire hour of the SQ42 gameplay stream for science.

An absolute clunky mess of total poo poo from start to loving finish. I hope everyone who worked on it is thoroughly ashamed. Total loving bollocks. The stupid bobbly helmet hud, no fluidity in the player movement, hard janks cutting between playable moments and cutscenes, endless corridors, crap flight mechanics, a needlessly dull flight down to the planet, REALLY BAD DIALOGUE, stupid grabby hands that you can't even see what you're doing, that stupid fiddly pop-up menu to do anything...

The inner thoughts being read aloud, it's just so weird and unsettling and it's the kind of thing you'd expect in an arty, experimental indie game dealing with mental illness. That's how bad it is. All player movement and interaction looks fiddly and awkward and annoying, what in the gently caress was that combat bit about, all of a sudden it looks like a 90s game that's been reskinned with hd textures. The stealth kill, gently caress me.

CIG have taken all of these backers for a ride and are taking the piss showing that rubbish. And there's supposed to be 18 hours of that poo poo?!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

The relation of size between the fighters and the carrier is the same as a slice of toast and your toaster.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

ewe2 posted:

Normally, when you start off a discussion with a subject, it being an analogy in this case, you double check yourself at the end to make sure you didn't completely lose the foundation of where you started.

Losing the foundation of where you started pretty much defines this entire project.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

AngusPodgorny posted:

I'm just going by what's quoted on page 3268. I don't care enough to actually download 3.0 (not that I even have an account) or wherever it originally came from.

The bit on p 3268 is an End User License Agreement, which is probably different from a Terms of Service in some subtle but (legally) meaningful way, since the EULA is for the game itself, but the ToS covers use of the website and associated services (and maybe the game too?).

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

XK posted:

Losing the foundation of where you started pretty much defines this entire project.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ewe2 posted:

Hey seeing how that chair turned out was the most interesting thing I've read on reddit since day 1

XK
Jul 9, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

The inner thoughts being read aloud, it's just so weird and unsettling and it's the kind of thing you'd expect in an arty, experimental indie game dealing with mental illness.

Hellblade already did inner thoughts being read aloud due to mental illness.

It was amazing and award winning.

Crobblered again. Suck it, Chris.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

You wake up in your wankpod/wankbunk, then you put on clothes from your closet, then you walk down a bunch of corridors, then you go to a bank of computers (Star Citizen) or a long meeting with Ser Davos (Squadron 42). Then you reserve your ship (Star Citizen) or have Mark Hamill tell you to get into your ship (Squadron 42). Then you get into your ship, unless it's upside down or unavailable (Star Citizen), then you fly endlessly to a place through a bunch of space dandruff. Then hopefully you land somewhere without crashing. Then you run down a bunch of corridors and maybe shoot some dudes or take some space cigars (Star Citizen) or stab some dudes with your space knife (Squadron 42).

Another thing you can do in Star Citizen is fly endlessly through the space dandruff to planets with nothing on them, where you can zoom around on your hover bike unless it turns upside down or clips through the planet's surface. You can also shoot some dudes if there are any dudes to shoot, but there usually aren't. Sometimes you can pick up a box and play Space UPS to earn credits, if the box doesn't disappear before you get it to Space UPS store.

Be sure to get a flashlight before you get into your ship because everything is as dark as gently caress. Also, you can wear different suits.

There will be space tanks someday. And space real estate. And Chinese space turtles.

This game sounds bad

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
You see, Star Citizen is a bit like a car, you buy the car but hey, it only has three wheels! So you ask the salesman and he says 'The other wheel in in production, it will be awesome when it's done'. Then of course, the car has no windows, eh! You ask the salesman and he says he'll go find out about the windows.
Elite Dangerous is pretty barebones OH LOOK A DUCK waaayyyy ehh, this keyboard is cool, it has RGB lights on it oh poo poo my pizza

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

ewe2 posted:

How the actual gently caress do they describe such a widely recognised term so absolutely incorrectly?

Xmas Eve (online) Citizens quiz

"What happens when you polish a table?"

Is it:

A: The act of the legs being fitted to the useable upper surface.
B: The act of timber being cut to length to form the various components.
C: A final shine is added as a means to beautify the finished product.

Helpful Hint, it's not A or B you loving retards.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

ewe2 posted:

I only really wanted to comment on that post about how the chair fell apart and gave me splinters. It lost the plot so quickly I couldn't even do that.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

XK posted:

I only really wanted to comment on that post about how the chair fell apart and gave me splinters. It lost the plot so quickly I couldn't even do that.

Lol yeah I was just doing a Citizen bit which is their fallback position to everything including their own stupid BS.

:effort: edit:

More verbosely it's a great example of how Citizens make lemonade out of lemons. It's almost reflexive by now: when CIG's version of reality is shown to be incorrect, redefine reality so that it not only fits but is superior to all other definitions. They don't even realize they're doing it which is why that analogy disappears when it's no longer needed because now the Citizen feels better about the CIG universe and the bad thing doesn't matter any more. This is exactly the process by which Alpha 3.0 is slowly but surely turning into THE 3.0 which therefore disproves Derek Smart :colbert: qed.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 24, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

ewe2 posted:

Lol yeah I was just doing a Citizen bit which is their fallback position to everything including their own stupid BS.

:effort: edit:

More verbosely it's a great example of how Citizens make lemonade out of lemons. It's almost reflexive by now: when CIG's version of reality is shown to be incorrect, redefine reality so that it not only fits but is superior to all other definitions. They don't even realize they're doing it which is why that analogy disappears when it's no longer needed because now the Citizen feels better about the CIG universe and the bad thing doesn't matter any more. This is exactly the process by which Alpha 3.0 is slowly but surely turning into THE 3.0 which therefore disproves Derek Smart :colbert: qed.

Where's my chair?

I bet it's those loving goons that took it.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

AlbieQuirky posted:

You wake up in your wankpod/wankbunk, then you put on clothes from your closet, then you walk down a bunch of corridors, then you go to a bank of computers (Star Citizen) or a long meeting with Ser Davos (Squadron 42). Then you reserve your ship (Star Citizen) or have Mark Hamill tell you to get into your ship (Squadron 42). Then you get into your ship, unless it's upside down or unavailable (Star Citizen), then you fly endlessly to a place through a bunch of space dandruff. Then hopefully you land somewhere without crashing. Then you run down a bunch of corridors and maybe shoot some dudes or take some space cigars (Star Citizen) or stab some dudes with your space knife (Squadron 42).

Another thing you can do in Star Citizen is fly endlessly through the space dandruff to planets with nothing on them, where you can zoom around on your hover bike unless it turns upside down or clips through the planet's surface. You can also shoot some dudes if there are any dudes to shoot, but there usually aren't. Sometimes you can pick up a box and play Space UPS to earn credits, if the box doesn't disappear before you get it to Space UPS store.

Be sure to get a flashlight before you get into your ship because everything is as dark as gently caress. Also, you can wear different suits.

There will be space tanks someday. And space real estate. And Chinese space turtles.

lmao :five:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

We weren't polishing. We were Polishing. You idiot.

Meet our new team member, Jakob Kowalczyk.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

IT BEGINS

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tokamak posted:

IT BEGINS

These people are beyond all hope. If Chris Roberts hadn't stolen their money someone else would have.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tokamak posted:

IT BEGINS

Since the current version of 3.0 has been pushed to live, I guess that's it. It's done, 3.0 has been released?

Like, I guess so? Enjoy your 3.0 release, everybody.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Well this is an early Christmas present from CIG for those of you who were going to spend time griefing players in 3.0: now you don't have to, since the 3.X PTU updates will grief the Star Citizens for you over this long holiday weekend.

So enjoy your time off!

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Tokamak posted:

IT BEGINS

You beat me to it :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010