Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
What is “tether”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

lazorexplosion posted:

And like easily $20 of that is spent by the miners on electricity. Imagine an economy that uses $20 of electricity to buy a beer.

I'm suddenly extremely excited that I will be starting a new assignment at the Electric utility portion of my company at the beginning of the year.

They're the real winners in the bitcoin mania.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

What is “tether”?

Simplest explanation

Bitfinex got hacked, took 37% of everybody's money to make up for it. They then replaced it with Tether tokens that they pegged to USD 1:1 so people could trade on the exchange with the token that represent what was taken from them.They have since made 1.25 billion more of those tokens and used them to to pump up the price every time it fell a little bit. They claim to have $1 USD in their reserves for every tether they have produced. They refuse to prove it, they refuse to exchange USD for tethers.

It's basically fake USD that can be used on a few different exchanges and they just keep printing them all willy nilly.

It's the $1,250,000,000 elephant in the room.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Powershift posted:

Simplest explanation

Bitfinex got hacked, took 37% of everybody's money to make up for it. They then replaced it with Tether tokens that they pegged to USD 1:1 so people could trade on the exchange with the token that represent what was taken from them.They have since made 1.25 billion more of those tokens and used them to to pump up the price every time it fell a little bit. They claim to have $1 USD in their reserves for every tether they have produced. They refuse to prove it, they refuse to exchange USD for tethers.

It's basically fake USD that can be used on a few different exchanges and they just keep printing them all willy nilly.

Hahaha well of course. Thx for the explanation of idiocy and gullibility that is btc in its latest form.

Where is bitinex based? And do they trade inside the us?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

What is “tether”?

The long version is that it works like this: You give me $1 and I will give you 1 tether, the exciting new cryptocurrency paradigm that's actually backed by fiat currency. Now you can spend your tether as a virtual $1 bill, because the value of a tether is pegged to USD. Also, the terms of service specifically say I will not redeem your tether for $1. Also, I can issue infinitely many tethers at a par value of $1 (that they cannot be redeemed for) based only on my say-so that I have enough USD to back them 1:1.

The short version is that it works like this: You give me $1 and

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

Hahaha well of course. Thx for the explanation of idiocy and gullibility that is btc in its latest form.

Where is bitinex based? And do they trade inside the us?

Hong Kong. They keep getting bank accounts closed for money laundering, and are currently using a polish farmers bank that only has $198 million in assets.

They don't serve US customers themselves, but other exchanges like Bittrex's only USD related item is USDT which is tether, and does operate within the united states. So you sell your bitcoin for tethers on Bittrex, then ask Tether to trade your tethers for USD and they tell you to gently caress off.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Powershift posted:

Simplest explanation

allegedly

there's enough reason to be concerned, but several of those allegations are unproven. there's no question that they need to submit to a full audit though. i'm not trading on a tether exchange until they do

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uranium 235 posted:

allegedly

there's enough reason to be concerned, but several of those allegations are unproven. there's no question that they need to submit to a full audit though. i'm not trading on a tether exchange until they do

Does coinbase submit to full audits? Idk like someone they don’t pick.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Burt Sexual posted:

What is “tether”?

It makes my head hurt but I think I understand it sort of. Basically trading bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies within an exchange is has much less transaction fees than trading bitcoin for USD, is much faster and doesn't trigger capital gains tax. So instead you make a digital currency that is tethered to the USD, called 'tether' by only ever having one tether for every USD backing it. So if you wanted to get into crypto you could instead buy tether and if you thought bitcoin was going to go up against the USD you sell the tether to buy bitcoin and if you thought it was going to go down you sell bitcoin to buy tether and it's like you cashed out into USD but technically you didn't so you're okay and when you wanted to cash out you could sell the tether for 1 per 1 USD because every tether has a USD - it is pegged.

All this only works if it is actually pegged and it would be incredibly easy for a shady company to only pretend they has $1 USD for every tether, and if they don't they're effectively ripping people off who are holding tether and creating what looks like USD out of thin air to pump and dump or whatever they want. So of course crypto nerds bought like a billion dollars of it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uranium 235 posted:

allegedly

Just like when the front of the titanic was allegedly heading for an iceberg, best to stay at the back of the boat where it's safe.

Burt Sexual posted:

Here's a comprehensive list of large bitcoin companies that act as banks or trading platforms that have submitted to an external audit:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Also it literally says

quote:

PURCHASE AND REDEMPTION OF TETHERS: The Site is an environment for the purchase and redemption of Tethers. Once you have Tethers, you can trade them, keep them, or use them to pay persons that will accept your Tethers. However, Tethers are not money and are not monetary instruments. They are also not stored value or currency. There is no contractual right or other right or legal claim against us to redeem or exchange your Tethers for money. We do not guarantee any right of redemption or exchange of Tethers by us for money. There is no guarantee against losses when you buy, trade, sell, or redeem Tethers.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Although to be fair though when I say they bought a billion of them I mean some of them maybe bought some tether for USD and others maybe traded bitcoin for tether and the rest may or may not be completely made up? Who knows.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
fuckin lol at tether, that’s genius

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does ham sandwich know any answers to my ignorance? * I read my foxnews app as well as WaPo

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

yes it's a condition of their NY state license

ctrl-f "reports and financial disclosures"

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/legal/regulations/adoptions/dfsp200t.pdf

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

It's a $1 giftcard to buy more $1 giftcards

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uranium 235 posted:

Why tie a crypto to a US dollar?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

lol tether is basically a bunch of imaginary "I owe you $1", except not even written on paper like a real IOU.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Burt Sexual posted:

Tether is a different outfit. And because giving fake dollars to idiots is lucrative.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Powershift posted:

Just like when the front of the titanic was allegedly heading for an iceberg, best to stay at the back of the boat where it's safe.

Here's a comprehensive list of large bitcoin companies that act as banks or trading platforms that have submitted to an external audit:
lol look at you being wrong

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uranium 235 posted:

ctrl-f "reports and financial disclosures"

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/legal/regulations/adoptions/dfsp200t.pdf

That seems to be the reg, can I see the audit?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

are you asking about tether? why are you asking me?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

That seems to be the reg, can I see the audit?
maybe if you ask the ny state department of financial services they'll show it to you?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Uranium 235 posted:

maybe if you ask the ny state department of financial services they'll show it to you?

so it doesn’t exist because they have a year from filing the registration?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
wow I sure hope they don’t get hacked within that year and shutdown since all the money disappears

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

XK posted:

Tether is a different outfit. And because giving fake dollars to idiots is lucrative.

What is tether tethered to?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
actually lol that’s their business plan

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uranium 235 posted:

They are public records? Which are required to be online I thought.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

tether is a bitfinex thing not a coinbase thing

I am led to believe bitfinex is completely shut off from the banking system and part of the reason for tethers was because of this

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uranium 235 posted:

are you asking about tether? why are you asking me?

You know a lot about crypto :shrug:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

comedyblissoption posted:

tether is a bitfinex thing not a coinbase thing

I am led to believe bitfinex is completely shut off from the banking system and part of the reason for tethers was because of this

How do I get usd in and out of this new tether crypto? I want to go in eyes wide open.

E wait. Are independent audits good or bad to crypto currencies? Are there any in existence? Idk

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 24, 2017

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Uranium 235 posted:

allegedly

:one:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Hey guys! My video card made some numbers.

Somebody is supposed to give me money now?

Please advise.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

let it mellow posted:

so it doesn’t exist because they have a year from filing the registration?
i don't think we know what the expectation is for when the first audit should be submitted. if it's a year from filing date then they have three weeks, but that doesn't mean they haven't already done it

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Uranium 235 posted:

i don't think we know what the expectation is for when the first audit should be submitted. if it's a year from filing date then they have three weeks, but that doesn't mean they haven't already done it

so you don’t know? then why u tell the guy that wants in on this stuff to make a NY public records request when it’s Christmas Eve in NY?

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

XK posted:

Please advise.

You need to show feet first.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

XK posted:

Please advise.

So far I’ve heard don’t use tether, for now. So idk about that one, yet. Use bitcoin because it’s platforms are regulated and fully audited.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uranium 235 posted:

You seem to be sending me on a fools errand. Please be respectful.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Hold on, I'm trading shares in futures of my video card numbers on the Chicago Board of Exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

They are public records? Which are required to be online I thought.
i think gemini has had bitlicense longer than coinbase, so if any records are obtainable by the public, it would probably be easier to find theirs

does regulators audit conventional financial services companies? are those public? i have no idea :shrug: