Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cribbage is good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

hifi posted:

cribbage is good too

:agreed:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Spades is the best family game

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Spoeank posted:

All this board game talk reminds me that my ex got me the bsg board game nine goddamn years ago and I still haven't played it even though I want to. I can't find enough people who do :(

I got Lord of the Rings (movies not books) Trivial Pursuit for Christmas years ago and played it approximately once because my family realized that they would never be able to beat me in it :(

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Anyone else out there play Snake Oil? I've always had a lot of fun with that my wife and I are weird hermits and its rare we have enough people to play it with.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Spades is the best family game

Agreed

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I decided to watch TV for the first time in a long while

I was informed that this is a thing that exists and now I'm not sad about moving away anymore

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My gf is a huge board game fan and I have some opinions.

She brought Ticket to Ride up and it’s really fun. You basically try to build train lines around-9th century Europe. It’s for up to five people.

My parents got her Onitama for Xmas. That’s a really cool two person chess lite game.

We also like Jaipur, which is a trading game.

I had another gf who was super into board games and loved really intricate ones. She played one that was about trading in the Caribbean that was really cool.

My friends and I used to play risk at a bar. You had to drink a beer every time you had a battle. We’d get loving loaded and had iPhone calculators tell us who won the battle.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Codenames is a really fun, simple game that works will groups of all sizes.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

hifi posted:

cribbage is good too

I have learned and forgotten the rules to cribbage 4 times now. I remember loving it every time I play.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Edit: wrong thread.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I have learned and forgotten the rules to cribbage 4 times now. I remember loving it every time I play.

it's me and my dad's go to game to have something to do while shooting the poo poo.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Play Machikoro, it's the best city building board game

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
We have Ticket To Ride too but it’s set in America. It’s really fun

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Play chess its what the cool people do.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

OxySnake posted:

Play chess its what the cool people do.

I kinda want to get into Go but it's intimidating to think about. I mean the rules aren't hard, it's the getting halfway decent at it that intimidates me.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Does anyone else have a world of poo poo waiting for them in 2018 and kind of upset at how fast the holidays are going by

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Does anyone else have a world of poo poo waiting for them in 2018 and kind of upset at how fast the holidays are going by

Depends on whether or not the phone interviews I've had in the last couple of weeks turn into actual interviews. If I'm stuck at my current job through the first half of 2018 then yes it will be a world of poo poo.

Also my wife and I are still looking at buying our own place in 2018 AND her family is amping up the pressure on her to have kids so there might be a lot of poo poo soon!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
For Christmas when my sister is in town my family plays some fairly cutthroat pinochle (last year I won the final bidder's out bid at 43. I had a run and hundred aces, my dad who was bidding against me had 30 point pinochle but no power) and the best board game

FIREBALL ISLAND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ujgywX-z9c

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

WHOOPS posted:

Co-signed.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is complicated, but great.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I’m giving my family an 8 month old Great Dane/German Shepard mix for Christmas, so yeah, it’s gonna be a time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Quiet Feet posted:

I made chocolate mint chip cookies for my family's Christmas Eve party tomorrow. They's good.

I'm making rum balls :getin:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Also, Secret Hitler is the best board game for never trusting your friends ever again. 10/10 game, my favorite of the lying games

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Good thing I’m already drinking.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I legit don't know anybody who plays those old family board games anymore. Everyone plays Settlers or Carcassone or some poo poo with their families.

Joking Hazard is a fun game when you're drinking.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm flying home in 7 hours and my dad has been retweeting a bunch of anti Trump stuff (good) from loving evil people (bad). I don't care how much they hate Trump, Bill Kristol and Joe Scarborough are not loving allies. I'm not sure how I'm going talk to him about it, our political views align closely, but loving christ, don't give those assholes any loving credit.

poo poo, every time Bill Kristol tweets about how there's going to be consequences for Trump I get scared because I used to be able to make money on political bets by just betting the opposite of whatever he predicted.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How can I invest in guillotine futures?
https://twitter.com/ValTheSpiderQ/status/944592827018825728

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Risk is the worst loving board game ever
All I remember when someone brought out for the one day at our school where we played board games (despite being in like the 6th grade) was we would set up the RISK board and game and then get immediately board and give up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

achillesforever6 posted:

All I remember when someone brought out for the one day at our school where we played board games (despite being in like the 6th grade) was we would set up the RISK board and game and then get immediately board and give up.

It's a pretty good game for making people mad/getting mad yourself once you get into it. Lots of opportunities for both backstabbing and feeling like you're getting poo poo on by dice rolls.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, Secret Hitler is the best board game for never trusting your friends ever again. 10/10 game, my favorite of the lying games

I just looked at how it's played. So it's basically mafia/werewolf?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Intruder posted:

I just looked at how it's played. So it's basically mafia/werewolf?

The voting mechanics are fun, plus you get to spend 45 minutes calling your friends fascists

Plus, it includes a Trump sticker that you put on the Hitler card

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

WHOOPS posted:

I played this with 2 non-native English speakers once, and that's a trip. Someone kept looking at buck to mean male deer, but the other person kept describing it as a dollar. Good game, I should buy it for myself.

I'm personally a fan of cranium.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Shangri-Law School posted:

Betrayal at House on the Hill is complicated, but great.

That game loving owns and is arguably the platonic ideal of a Halloween game.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Creationary is really good. Its Pictionary with Lego.

Also Cranium is pretty fun.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Axis and Allies is good if you have a full group and at least a literal day to learn the rules

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Thirding Betrayal at the House on the Hill. It's an awesome game for 3-6 people. You explore an old mansion which triggers different hauntings that create about 100 different scenarios to play through. My favorite thus far was when a Giant bird grabbed the house and you had to compete against your teammates to find a parachute and jump to safety before the bird dropped the house out of the sky.

I always really liked lying games like Resistance so I may have to check out Secret Hitler.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/944790800818466816

lol

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
an important update:
https://twitter.com/mrpolo_/status/944560607893868544

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Oh my god I love it