Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Bright probably should have been written by a person of color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gaunab posted:

Bright probably should have been written by a person of color.

Max Landis is a victim of creepaphobia and neoptiphobia, as well as discrimination against douchebags, are you saying that’s not enough?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Finished Bright. It was alright. Every instance of it tackling a social issue was embarrassing and the story is pretty predictable but Will Smith's and Joel Edgerton's charisma and chemistry are enough to keep your attention. 3/5.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Landis just got accused of sexual assault.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
With that haircut I am not surprised

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My favorite Lexi Alexander quote is "If I'd know how it would have upset him, I'd have blocked Max Landis on Twitter much earlier."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
holy gently caress Max Landis is done

IT'S A GODDAMN CHRISTMAS loving MIRACLE

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is a failure of helicopter parenting

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

e: and I did enjoy Dirk Gently

stupid fucker

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

I hope there was some bleedover into The Post, and Meryl Streep casually starts listing all her favorite Kajagoogoo songs

I hope this leads to the Tom Hanks Cinematic Universe when Woody shows up at the end and invites him to THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOTS.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gaunab posted:

Finished Bright. It was alright. Every instance of it tackling a social issue was embarrassing and the story is pretty predictable but Will Smith's and Joel Edgerton's charisma and chemistry are enough to keep your attention. 3/5.

We just saw it and I was about to post the same thing. The cast in general saves it and it was pretty fun overall. Nothing groundbreaking but I'm surprised at how unkind those early reviews were now.

I'm excited that Netflix has already green-lighted a sequel, because I'd love to see this same cast of folks and setting but not written by Max Landis.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

:drat:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

We just saw it and I was about to post the same thing. The cast in general saves it and it was pretty fun overall. Nothing groundbreaking but I'm surprised at how unkind those early reviews were now.

I'm excited that Netflix has already green-lighted a sequel, because I'd love to see this same cast of folks and setting but not written by Max Landis.

Pretty much my exact reaction. The plot gets a bit too cliched and predictable towards the end (and it was a bit weird that they spent so much time at the start establishing the hobo wizard character and his gang for them not to reappear again) so it didn't stick the landing but I'd tune in for #2. The setting felt pretty restricted as far as magic items and magic users are concerned but I'm sure there's still a ton of fun stories they can squeeze out of it.

I wanna see some stories with those police cavalry officers. :cop::horse:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 23, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Casimir Radon posted:

Landis just got accused of sexual assault.
I'm not happy about what happened to his victim but I sure am glad he won't be getting any more work (hopefully).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Landis Family sucks

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol I'm at a party and they turned on bright. The production company is Trigger Warning Entertainment and the app crashed before we even got past the opening credits

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Was looking at the weekend box office returns and there are some really impressive bombs being put out this holiday/star wars season:
  • The Greatest Showman(3000 theater opening, reported $84 million budget) made $13 million through it's first weekend. No international numbers reported yet but it's a biopic about an American guy, the sort of movie that frequently do not get big international pushes

• Downsizing(2700 theaters, $68 million budget) made $5 million this wekend. Can't see weirdo sci fi dramedy making any money overseas

• Father Figures(2900 theaters, but a modest $25 million budget) made just $3 million. No reason to expect any international run for an R rated english language comedy

• Finally, John Cena animated vehicle Ferdinand(initial opening of 3600 theaters, $111 million budget) has made $34 million worldwide through two weeks
I dunno if the January failure dumping ground has expanded to December now or what but that's a lot of expensive fuckups over a couple weeks. They're all pretty commercial films that have no chance at major awards too

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I could see Father Figures making money back later on home video/streaming whatever.

Did all these movies get murdered by Star Wars?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Honestly, a Coen brothers style movie showcasing all the insane cons Barnum did who've been way more interesting. Why whitewash someone's life who was actually interesting, if terrible? Save that for some boring British royal or something.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

holy gently caress Max Landis is done

IT'S A GODDAMN CHRISTMAS loving MIRACLE

See you next Wednesday, Max.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

joe football posted:

Was looking at the weekend box office returns and there are some really impressive bombs being put out this holiday/star wars season:
  • The Greatest Showman(3000 theater opening, reported $84 million budget) made $13 million through it's first weekend. No international numbers reported yet but it's a biopic about an American guy, the sort of movie that frequently do not get big international pushes

• Downsizing(2700 theaters, $68 million budget) made $5 million this wekend. Can't see weirdo sci fi dramedy making any money overseas

• Father Figures(2900 theaters, but a modest $25 million budget) made just $3 million. No reason to expect any international run for an R rated english language comedy

• Finally, John Cena animated vehicle Ferdinand(initial opening of 3600 theaters, $111 million budget) has made $34 million worldwide through two weeks
I dunno if the January failure dumping ground has expanded to December now or what but that's a lot of expensive fuckups over a couple weeks. They're all pretty commercial films that have no chance at major awards too

Ferdinand is reviewing well at least, it'll probably have legs for another month as parents take their kids to a movie if they're not old enough for star wars
Downsizing reviews ping it as a "think of those less fortunate" for liberals
I still want to see Showman, but it sounds more like a generic "follow your dreams" movie with barnum's name mad-libs'd in.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I watched Jackie Chan's new flick Bleeding Steel and will be writing a lot more about it today, but Jackie Chan fights goth cyborgs on a star destroyer and that's only a tiny bit of the ridiculous things that happen.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tars Tarkas posted:

I watched Jackie Chan's new flick Bleeding Steel and will be writing a lot more about it today, but Jackie Chan fights goth cyborgs on a star destroyer and that's only a tiny bit of the ridiculous things that happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLCuqnqGvVk

Visually it looks really good.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

That woman you see putting on lingerie in the opening shots is a dude, who seduces a book writer to steal his notes and money because a witch dressed in tribal witch doctor clothes (and with a midget) has been selling the writer the dreams of Jackie Chan's dead daughter who was brought back to life via a cyborg heart and magic blood.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

joe football posted:

lmao, I think I first saw a trailer for Downsizing last month before seeing another movie in theaters and I was thinking "Who would possibly want to see this?" It looks like that movie where Eddie Murphy gets shrunk except Matt Damon doesn't have the charisma to carry a movie like that like Eddie Murphy does.

Also I literally only heard about Father Figures like last week when Ed Helms was on Conan promoting it. Seen zero marketing for it outside of that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also I literally only heard about Father Figures like last week when Ed Helms was on Conan promoting it. Seen zero marketing for it outside of that.

I can't escape commercials for that drat film

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tars Tarkas posted:

That woman you see putting on lingerie in the opening shots is a dude, who seduces a book writer to steal his notes and money because a witch dressed in tribal witch doctor clothes (and with a midget) has been selling the writer the dreams of Jackie Chan's dead daughter who was brought back to life via a cyborg heart and magic blood.

Go on...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Thundercracker posted:

Honestly, a Coen brothers style movie showcasing all the insane cons Barnum did who've been way more interesting. Why whitewash someone's life who was actually interesting, if terrible? Save that for some boring British royal or something.

Well there's always that Robert Ripley biopic that never gets off the ground.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Tars Tarkas posted:

If it wasn't for the fact that I'd already seen a 2017 Jackie Chan film where he carries out Guerilla Warfare on not-the-IRA (who are given a really weird name in political terms) including taking down Pierce Brosnan doing a great not-Gerry-Adams I'd be more excited for this.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

In the final fight against the cyborg goth who looks like the Borg meets Mr. Freeze (and is now nude), a one-armed Jackie Chan has his missing arm grow back due to his daughter's magic blood so he can use it to rip out the bad guy's mechanical heart and punch the bad guy into an explosion

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ah, brilliant!

[HomerWatchingTwinPeaks.jpg]

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

If it wasn't for the fact that I'd already seen a 2017 Jackie Chan film where he carries out Guerilla Warfare on not-the-IRA (who are given a really weird name in political terms) including taking down Pierce Brosnan doing a great not-Gerry-Adams I'd be more excited for this.

It's a great movie that really emphasizes that Chan is both old and also a badass. I mean the badass part is a given, but I think this is the first Jackie Chan movie I see where it admits that he's an old dude.

I also saw Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle this weekend. This is actually pretty entertaining.
- The story is pretty average, but the cast really sells it. The Rock is kinda believable as an introverted nerd, while Kevin Hart is playing a typical Kevin Hart character. Karen Gillen, however, is pretty good playing someone socially awkward and Jack Black is maybe way too believable as a popular teen girl. There's a scene with both Gillen and Black that emphasizes their contrasting personalities. Nick Jonas is just kinda there, but he's serviceable.
- There villain is also not really given much attention, but I like that they give the name of the British hunter from the first movie to a power hungry American guy who wants to assert control over Jumanji.
- When the two female characters from different backgrounds talk to each other, they immediately get along and come to an understanding, and later one of them even let the other borrow her outfit. When the two guys who used to be friends talk to each other to work out their isses, one of them tries to 'kill' the other one.
-The movie has a maybe unintentional callback to David Cronenberg's eXistenz. The non-'real' characters in the game all give canned responses that were 'programmed' into them and they will repeat the same lines until you say something that will make the story progress. There several times in the movie where the characters fail to do something because they are thinking in real world logic instead of video game logic. They even used this to subvert a 'hot female character seduces bad guys to distract them' scene.
-One disappointment I have: early in the movie, there is a flashback to the game's backstory and one of the characters ask how can they be seeing this to which another character explain that it's a cutscene. The movie later switches to the villain's perspective a couple of times but there's no indication that the main characters can see them too.
-Like GOTG2, this is another PG13 movie that has prominent penis jokes. And I mean jokes about actual penises instead of just vague references using phallic shapes. Safe to say, the crowd I watch with loves them.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone seen the trailer for A Wrinkle In Time?

I mean what was the art direction crew thinking?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Oz the Great and Powerful meets Donnie Darko

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheNewt posted:

Has anyone seen the trailer for A Wrinkle In Time?

Saw it yesterday, what a boring trailer.

Also EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN TRAILER in front of Star Wars had some slowed down pop song. I really hate this trend.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
As someone who has fond memories of the book, I did like the shots of what I assume is Camazotz, though the bits with that kung-fu master and all the talk about "becoming warriors of light" don't really fill me with confidence.

TheNewt posted:

Maybe it's just me but a lot of live-action Disney movies seem to have the same kind of aesthetic. I'm not really sure how to describe it other than "way too bright and way too much obvious CGI".

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 25, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FCKGW posted:

Saw it yesterday, what a boring trailer.

Also EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN TRAILER in front of Star Wars had some slowed down pop song. I really hate this trend.

I got a chuckle out of All the Money using a slow version of Power.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wanna do a trailer that has a power violence cover of a slow and sad song.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alternatively:
A ska cover of the MASH theme.

Polka cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Just Entry of the Gladiators playing throughout the entire trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm waiting for a trailer to just straight up use a chipmunkson16speed track

• Locked thread