Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Duke Igthorn posted:

I'm just not sure "I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF CONSENT" should be the main thrust of your comic starring middle school children.

The key thing here is that the people making these comics don't see the current wave of sexual abusers being outed as, well, sexual abusers being outed.

They see it as "anyone can claim they've been sexually assaulted for any reason and the accused harasser will be demonized by society regardless of any evidence."

I realized this when I had a conversation with my dad last week in which he said "if you're a man, you'd have to be an idiot to ever hire a woman again." They're not thinking about this from the perspective of the abused, they're thinking about what this means for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pakled posted:

The key thing here is that the people making these comics don't see the current wave of sexual abusers being outed as, well, sexual abusers being outed.

They see it as "anyone can claim they've been sexually assaulted for any reason and the accused harasser will be demonized by society regardless of any evidence."

I realized this when I had a conversation with my dad last week in which he said "if you're a man, you'd have to be an idiot to ever hire a woman again." They're not thinking about this from the perspective of the abused, they're thinking about what this means for themselves.

That is one of the pillars of conservatism.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Picnic Princess posted:

The gop IS big government you turkey brain

Coming into political awareness in the South during the Bush years, it always amazed me how the GOP managed to successfully frame the Democratic party as the party of big government even as they constantly used government to curtail individual freedoms. Like sure, we want to spy on American citizens, enact more draconian laws with harsher sentencing, use the powers of the state to enforce the mores of a small, religiously fervent minority on the population as a whole, censor speech we deem unpatriotic or immoral, and increase the size and power of intelligence agencies, the military, and the police, but those other guys? They want to regulate business and spend more on domestic programs. Big. Government.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atahualpa posted:

Coming into political awareness in the South during the Bush years, it always amazed me how the GOP managed to successfully frame the Democratic party as the party of big government even as they constantly used government to curtail individual freedoms. Like sure, we want to spy on American citizens, enact more draconian laws with harsher sentencing, use the powers of the state to enforce the mores of a small, religiously fervent minority on the population as a whole, censor speech we deem unpatriotic or immoral, and increase the size and power of intelligence agencies, the military, and the police, but those other guys? They want to regulate business and spend more on domestic programs. Big. Government.

Republican presidencies always massively grow the deficit, too, despite them complaining about it all the time during Democratic presidencies. They cut the funding of tons of essential government agencies and still manage to go more into debt. They're not the party of small government, they're the party of ineffective government, trying to break as many parts of it as possible so they can do what they want and punish people they dislike.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Normally I would think a cartoon celebrating the passports being a different colour while showing the opponents of Brexit as crying little children could only be sarcastic, but this is the loving Telegraph and it's British politics in 2017 so all bets are off.

Neodoomium posted:

I really, really love whoever keeps drawing Theresa May as a melting ghost.

Martin Rowson, and yes, it's very fitting and much better than Steve Bell's weird creepy clown thing that stopped being relevant over a year back.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Well, there was Ambrose.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:irony:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

loving, gently caress, gently caress, gently caress....

Every year the same goddamned thing.

Let's try it once more.

The "X" is the Greek letter "Chi", which is the first letter in the spelling of "CHrist".

And it's not new, Xmas goes back to the 16th loving century.

And X has represented Christ almost since the beginning.

So the sign is literally saying "Putting the Christ back in Christmas"

Putz.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wait, why’s Jesus handing some guy a dead bird?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

The first hipster.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

Cat Jesus.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

MrUnderbridge posted:

loving, gently caress, gently caress, gently caress....

Every year the same goddamned thing.

Let's try it once more.

The "X" is the Greek letter "Chi", which is the first letter in the spelling of "CHrist".

And it's not new, Xmas goes back to the 16th loving century.

And X has represented Christ almost since the beginning.

So the sign is literally saying "Putting the Christ back in Christmas"

Putz.

Ahem. I believe you'll find that we speak 'Murican here in America. And the letter X is clearly not the word "WhiteBabyJesusChrist"
Ergo, ipso facto and irregardless, the X is the opening volley of the war on WhiteBabyJesusChristmas.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Regalingualius posted:

Mallard has sacrificed himself for the greater good. The strip ends tomorrow. All is right with the world.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Angepain posted:

Normally I would think a cartoon celebrating the passports being a different colour while showing the opponents of Brexit as crying little children could only be sarcastic, but this is the loving Telegraph and it's British politics in 2017 so all bets are off.

Best part about this is that the U.K. could change their passport to blue (like Croatia) because the EU is ok with that. The people preventing it were the U.K. government.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The cartoonist who draws Zelda made this for christmas:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Alhazred posted:

The cartoonist who draws Zelda made this for christmas:

That's an uh. Mighty jaw.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Jay Rust posted:

I was thinking about Dees earlier today.

He doesn't date his cartoons so I have no idea if these have been posted before. Just went to his site to grab a few I haven't seen.

And my fave:

It's amazing these all seem downright sensible compared to anything Garrison has done this year.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Conservatives are aware of this text? So they're actually aware that they hate Jesus and pursue every avenue they can to make Him miserable and disenfranchised?

Angepain posted:

I didn't connect this with the blue passport thing at first and thought Santa was clad in the color of the EU flag.

But yeah, the attitude of the caricatures didn't match.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Sunday Times:

Happy Holidays, all!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Let's quote the whole parable, shall we?

quote:

31 And when the Son of man shall come in his majesty, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit upon the seat of his majesty.
32 And all nations shall be gathered together before him, and he shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left.
34 Then shall the king say to them that shall be on his right hand: Come, ye blessed of my Father, possess you the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
35 For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and you took me in:
36 Naked, and you covered me: sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me.
37 Then shall the just answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, and fed thee; thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 And when did we see thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and covered thee?
39 Or when did we see thee sick or in prison, and came to thee?
40 And the king answering, shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me.
41 Then he shall say to them also that shall be on his left hand: Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels.
42 For I was hungry, and you gave me not to eat: I was thirsty, and you gave me not to drink.
43 I was a stranger, and you took me not in: naked, and you covered me not: sick and in prison, and you did not visit me.
44 Then they also shall answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister to thee?
45 Then he shall answer them, saying: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it not to one of these least, neither did you do it to me.
46 And these shall go into everlasting punishment: but the just, into life everlasting.

You and the rest of your miserable party are going to hell you drunk son of a bitch.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Sunday Times:

Happy Holidays, all!

Why is Rudolph in back?

Also, Naughty list is longer than the Nice list? 2017 was harsh

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Katt posted:

That's an uh. Mighty jaw.

So it is?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Why is Rudolph in back?

It's not foggy.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's not foggy.

In London? :colbert:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Scholtz posted:

In London? :colbert:

I believe that's "Ye Olde London Towne", guv!

Pip-pip, cheerio, ha'penny for the Guy, Bob's your uncle, mind the gap, care for some tea luv?, I say, Elementary Watson!, have a go joe?, God Save The Queen!:britain:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Stultus Maximus posted:

You and the rest of your miserable party are going to hell you drunk son of a bitch.

Motion to make republican animal a goat.

As a lapsed Catholic I still just do not understand how people who profess to follow Jesus can ignore every single thing he ever said when it comes to politics. Jesus would have absolutely loved a strong social safety net. If there is one thing Jesus was unequivocally for, it was helping the poor and the sick.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Sanders posted:

As a kid I never wanted to sit on Santa's lap, it was always my parents and I went along with it because what else am I supposed to do? This situation of kids lining up to do it themselves is unknown to me.

edit: and then there's a girl who apparently lined up to do it herself but doesn't want to do it? I'm double confused.

Most of those kids are told to do things and obey, others are presented it as the normal thing to do and they do it because its an idea that is all over the Christmas mall kitsch. Plus some kids are gullible and small enough to think it is Santa, but then, why have them sit on his lap?

mistaya posted:

As a lapsed Catholic I still just do not understand how people who profess to follow Jesus can ignore every single thing he ever said when it comes to politics. Jesus would have absolutely loved a strong social safety net. If there is one thing Jesus was unequivocally for, it was helping the poor and the sick.

They believe themselves to be the true deserving ones and that's all it is. Us good, you bad. The faith has been used as a weapon ever since Constantine made it a state religion. These are people who never thought to look into the bible, a book that is all about chronology and setting the record straight of whom is the son of whom is the son of whom is the etc.; and never thought "Gee, why wouldn't this specifically state that Jesus Christ, the messiah, was born on the 25 of December". Because that was just getting Romans who loved Saturnalia to convert easier by just taking elements that people like and sticking Jesus on it.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 24, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mistaya posted:

"woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort." is another one they seem to miss.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

mistaya posted:

It's sort of like when you point out the whole "thou shalt not kill" to the gun loving Christians. They are quick to point out that it's just a translation error and that the real wording is "though shalt not murder" in that justified killing is okay.

People can't even go one mortal lifetime without rules lawyering themselves in the clear about taking a human life. As opposed to never killing someone. They're willing to gamble their immortal souls for an eternity in hell on a translation error.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

Conservatives are aware of this text? So they're actually aware that they hate Jesus and pursue every avenue they can to make Him miserable and disenfranchised?

Uh, but TRUE CHRISTIANS know that Jesus meant the people who really DESERVE such treatment, those who sit quietly and don't make a fuss and wait for their charity. None of that disgraceful "asking" bullshit, it's like the Bible says: "If thoust hast time to ask for help, thou hast time to work to help thyself" or, equally as evil, those that ask for help helping others. I mean: YOU aren't poor, why aren't YOU selling all your worldly goods and living as a pauper on the bare minimum you need to survive before asking me for $5? Hypocrite much??

See The Poor are pure, holy creatures that sit quietly and wait, suffer in silence and don't bother people. THOSE are the ones that deserve help. The ones you can't see or find. I'd give the shirt off my back for The Poor provided I actually find one and it doesn't inconvenience me or talk to me or look at me or interact with me in any way including asking for the shirt of my back or indicating, in any way, that they need a shirt.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I was thinking about Dees earlier today.

He doesn't date his cartoons so I have no idea if these have been posted before. Just went to his site to grab a few I haven't seen.

And my fave:

Comparing Dees and Garrison is like comparing David Ike and Alex Jones; it's instantaneously clear who's a true believer and who's just a shill in it for money.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
In spite of his insane antisemitism and general racism,at least dees isnt big on murdercops

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

"The Last Christmas Gift"

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

My brother 100% believes this. Is this confirmed in any way?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Apple confirmed that they were doing it, supposedly in an attempt to prevent problems with the old batteries causing instant shutdowns in the old phones.

source: http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/21/technology/apple-slows-down-old-iphones/index.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

Apple confirmed that they were doing it, supposedly in an attempt to prevent problems with the old batteries causing instant shutdowns in the old phones.

source: http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/21/technology/apple-slows-down-old-iphones/index.html

If a three-year-old pocket computer system cum mobile telephone needs to be slowed down to make its battery not shut down on it's own, that just means they've sold people extremely lovely batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

sirtommygunn posted:

quote:

Apple (AAPL) said in its statement that it will continue to use the feature with other products in the future.

Naturally and people will keep buying them because it's a loving cult.

• Locked thread