Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m going to try making gravlax for New Years. Anybody made it? Will high end grocery store salmon work or do I need higher quality. I’m pretty inland so off the boat isn’t going to happen.

I used rly lovely walmart salmon when I made it and it was good, but they were little chunks instead of a full fillet so they were quite small, especially after shrinking. I used it in sushi and also just ate some. 10/10 would do again

salmon is much safer if it's been previously frozen, which I'm assuming the stuff at a fish counter not on the coast would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

A nice filet from the fish counter will be fine. What recipe are you gonna use?

Haven’t picked one yet, so I’m taking suggestions!

But probably a hodgepodge of several recipes. Dry brine will be more salt than sugar. I’m thinking about adding in parsley and some wild onion sprigs from my yard with the dill.

naem
May 29, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Look Sir Droids posted:

Haven’t picked one yet, so I’m taking suggestions!

But probably a hodgepodge of several recipes. Dry brine will be more salt than sugar. I’m thinking about adding in parsley and some wild onion sprigs from my yard with the dill.

Coriander seed and juniper berries were well-received on my last attempt. I think I did Alton Brown's recipe that time. One of the challenges of what should otherwise be a pretty simple cure is finding a recipe that doesn't overcure the fish too easily.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

this is how I want to die

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Look Sir Droids posted:

Saw a YouTube of a guy frying canned dines to go with a chimichurri sauce. He put parchment paper in the pan to prevent splattering and scorching the fishes. Just pour the can out on top of the parchment paper.

oh my God my life just changed

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

It must be st. swithens day because I'm about to have me some kippers

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Sardines, toast, and coffee for breakfast. :coffeepal: A powerful start to the day.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I made fish cakes with a 50/50 mixture of canned albacore and dines in EVOO. Highly recommended! :discourse:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I hit up the King Oscar facebook page at just the right time a week or so ago, 5 mins after the post for free 'dines. I never got a confirmation email or anything though? I'm just hoping I get some sweet free 'dines in the mail at some point.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hell yeah, I got my free 'dines in the mail today.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

WarEternal posted:

Hell yeah, I got my free 'dines in the mail today.

:respek:

What are you plans for them?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
sardines+guac+triscuits absolutely can not be hosed with. it makes me wish i still drank so i could drunk-eat two whole tins

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Do it sober you loving pussy

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

drink you loving pussy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Yesterday I got a King Oscar Royal Taster Kit in the mail, with a can of the new Tapatio 'dines and a plastic lid to cover an open can in the fridge.

They also have a haiku contest going on right now, on their Facebook page.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

used my last KO coupon to get some mackerel for my dad for xmas :3:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I have become a huge fan of whitefish salad sandwiches. The deli near my mom’s place here in Rockville, MD carries it, along with herring Fillets & chopped chicken livers.

I think I’m becoming a big fan of Jewish food.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

I have become a huge fan of whitefish salad sandwiches. The deli near my mom’s place here in Rockville, MD carries it, along with herring Fillets & chopped chicken livers.

I think I’m becoming a big fan of Jewish food.

Whitefish salad, pickled herring, and chopped liver are good eats. Jewish deli food like that might be my favorite cuisine of all time, and it's not typically easy to find around here (Central Florida).

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Inkfish posted:

Do it sober you loving pussy

sorry it's not the same

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I spent a lot of time on my haiku

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Dads I picked up some pickled herring from Costco and drat is it good

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

jerry seinfel posted:

Dads I picked up some pickled herring from Costco and drat is it good

Blue Hill Bay in the big glass jar? That stuff is amazing.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Christmas is coming, I've got gravlax and grav-whitefish and three different kinds of cured and pickled herring lined up in the fridge :dance:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

just wanted to pop in and say i ate sardines with a girl i met on the internet last weekend

e: and brunswick seafood snacks

naem
May 29, 2011

Misogynice Job! posted:

just wanted to pop in and say i ate sardines with a girl i met on the internet last weekend

e: and brunswick seafood snacks

Impregnate her and your transition to dad is complete

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

barbecue at the folks posted:

Christmas is coming, I've got gravlax and grav-whitefish and three different kinds of cured and pickled herring lined up in the fridge :dance:

gravlax caviar on knäckebröd is probably my favorite part of christmas

Brolander fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 24, 2017

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Have any of y'all ever had a proper swedish Christmas dinner? My family used to always eat this on Christmas Eve: Solöga or "Sun's Eye"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I don’t know what that is but now I desire it.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

MetaJew posted:

Have any of y'all ever had a proper swedish Christmas dinner? My family used to always eat this on Christmas Eve: Solöga or "Sun's Eye"

ah yes a raw egg yolk, nothing says 'it's christmas' like a raw egg yolk.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Sounds like you could use a bit of noooog!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MetaJew posted:

I don't know what that is but I want it in my body

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
we eat lots of herring and cured salmon, Jansson’s Frestelse and Sill Salladat at christmas, with shots of Akvavit in between meat/fish courses

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Riga Sprats.

Holy gently caress, boys, these are good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

berth ell pup posted:

Riga Sprats.

Yea yea, I like Riga sprats more than any other canned sardine-type fish I've tried, including KOs.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Android Apocalypse posted:

I don’t know what that is but now I desire it.

Renegret posted:

I don't know what that is but I want it in my body

Chopped up anchovies, diced onions, beets, potato, parsley, and an egg yolk.

Mix it up into a paste and eat it on Wasa crackers.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
That sounds awesome. I want to try raw egg dishes like that and tamago Gohan, but I don’t trust eggs here. It’s either grocery store or somebody that has backyard chickens.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Shrug. I've eaten a lot of raw egg stuff in the US. I just buy free range eggs.

Also, I don't recall my family putting beets or potatoes in our Solöga, but it's probably been at least 15 years since I last had it. I recall it being very salty.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Can't partake in potatoes but beyond that that looks delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

berth ell pup posted:

Riga Sprats.

I can’t find riga gold sprats anywhere, the store I work at stopped stocking them and refuse to get more