Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

one of the best selling books of all time is a modern-day fantasy novel, and I don't think doing specifically tolkien-derived modern day fantasy is really that much of an extra innovation

Yeah, they're also going to probably enjoy it more because they don't start ranting about world building midway through the story. Most of the reviews have been middling to bad but I'm sure enough people will watch it over the holiday to make it worthwhile to Netflix.

Hostile V posted:

Apparently there's a centaur police officer which makes me want the movie where they hire the first centaur cop and it's a really clunky disability metaphor instead of a really clunky race metaphor.

Only if there's scenes of perps escaping the centaur by climbing a ladder or running over a series of bars on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bright is garbage made by garbage people please stop watching it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Lurdiak posted:

How do releases like this work on Netflix? Do you have to pay extra to watch it or is it just part of normal access? I mean can they make extra money off of people watching this?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

starkebn posted:

How do releases like this work on Netflix? Do you have to pay extra to watch it or is it just part of normal access? I mean can they make extra money off of people watching this?

There's no extra fees. They make money from people subbing to Netflix to watch these shows, and it's a bonus if they stick around because they see other stuff they like. That kind of thing.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A wise man once said:
https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Dialect just dropped, and Unity as mentioned last week is supposed to be out tomorrow. Nice timing for Christmas.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's closing in on midnight where I am, so I wanted to wish everyone in TG a happy holiday. 2017 has been difficult on the whole, but you folks have helped, and I hope I have been entertaining in return

special shoutout to my D&D group - we've come a long way, and there's still a ways to go!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bedlamdan posted:

The joke is that it actually is, because the concept is never explored all that much outside of Shadowrun and normies don't give a gently caress about rpg settings.
That's what I mean. Almost everything else about it is trash, so if it's not a novel concept or you're actively being paid to pay attention beyond the premise then it's uh not good.

Geostorm, now that's a good bad film from this year.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 24, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

xiw posted:

Dialect just dropped, and Unity as mentioned last week is supposed to be out tomorrow. Nice timing for Christmas.
Crazy thing about Unity is that he's hitting the project goal for the pdf release.

I know it shouldn't be crazy, but

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

xiw posted:

I'm probably going to run a Dialect pbp once I get back from holidays. I liked downfall so this should be fun.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

dwarf74 posted:

Crazy thing about Unity is that he's hitting the project goal for the pdf release.

I know it shouldn't be crazy, but

Let's put it this way:

A one man show, on his first kickstarter, has nailed his release date nearly to the day. The funding for it was, per person, within 2 dollars of the first physical tier, which means it didn't have a heavy whale carrying it. It was basically RPG Kickstarter: The Complete Success Story. That's what is crazy.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's closing in on midnight where I am, so I wanted to wish everyone in TG a happy holiday. 2017 has been difficult on the whole, but you folks have helped, and I hope I have been entertaining in return

special shoutout to my D&D group - we've come a long way, and there's still a ways to go!
:glomp:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

thelazyblank posted:

Let's put it this way:

A one man show, on his first kickstarter, has nailed his release date nearly to the day. The funding for it was, per person, within 2 dollars of the first physical tier, which means it didn't have a heavy whale carrying it. It was basically RPG Kickstarter: The Complete Success Story. That's what is crazy.

This is the power of having the game complete before you start the kickstarter, having artist already picked out and have their prices pre-negotiated, having pre negotiations done with your print on demand and other individuals, and just plain having your poo poo together on day one.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Merry Christmas tradgoons.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I changed my mind, it's good now.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Why did we have to get a messy Max Landis turd instead of a cool and good real Shadowrun movie?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Why did we have to get a messy Max Landis turd instead of a cool and good real Shadowrun movie?

Because Shadowrun itself is a messy turd

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The thread of prophecy was severed when Thomas-Alexandre Dumas was captured in Naples and thus failed to prevent Napoleon from becoming emperor. We must now suffer and die in a doomed universe.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Bedlamdan posted:

You know what was a really good movie about race relations and police officers in a fantasy world? Zootopia

Yep. If you're going to go with fantastical races as a metaphor for actual race issues, you have to go all the way. Placing something like Bright in a contemporary setting just sets it up for direct comparisons to actual oppression, and I can't see a scenario where that doesn't turn out to be somewhat poo poo.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

The thread of prophecy was severed when Thomas-Alexandre Dumas was captured in Naples and thus failed to prevent Napoleon from becoming emperor. We must now suffer and die in a doomed universe.

*When Churchill and Stalin wimped out after defeating Germany instead of immediately attacking each other

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Shadowrun is all about racial :biotruths: so I don't know how good it would be.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plutonis posted:

same

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yep. If you're going to go with fantastical races as a metaphor for actual race issues, you have to go all the way. Placing something like Bright in a contemporary setting just sets it up for direct comparisons to actual oppression, and I can't see a scenario where that doesn't turn out to be somewhat poo poo.

Beastars is zootopia the manga with teen angst instead of police procedurals

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Lax Mantis

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thelazyblank posted:

Let's put it this way:

... And wow, the pre-release just dropped.

Nice. Reading it now.

e: Wow, nice art.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 25, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

fool_of_sound posted:

Because Shadowrun itself is a messy turd

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

Nice. Reading it now.

Be sure to send in any errors or typos if you find them. I caught one just now going through the various class powers.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

is max landis the guy that made that kinda funny death of superman video

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

S.J. posted:

is max landis the guy that made that kinda funny death of superman video

Yes. He peaked early.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Plutonis posted:

It's nice to know people would rather side with rapists than me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Shadowrun is all about racial :biotruths: so I don't know how good it would be.

Yeah, it can be a bit nasty. The whole trolls having penalized mental stats bit is pretty uncomfortable. The direct flesh-eating ghouls as a take on AIDS stuff is pretty heinous too, if you want to really pick apart the metaphors.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 25, 2017

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Shadowrun, but not terrible wouldn't look much like Shadowrun.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bright being awful and Bright being Shadowrun the Movie are congruent

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah. I honestly find Dredd or the newer Total Recall scratches my Shadowrun movie itch better.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Strange Days is also cyberpunk as hell and should be on anyone's list of Shadowrun itch scratchers.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

dwarf74 posted:

Nice. Reading it now.

I don't see anything on the website, is there a public release planned after backers get their copies?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Merry Christmas, you goddamn nerds.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah. I honestly find Dredd or the newer Total Recall scratches my Shadowrun movie itch better.

Dredd is getting a TV show soon :toot:

Also the new Blade Runner was really good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

whydirt posted:

I don't see anything on the website, is there a public release planned after backers get their copies?
This is still technically v0.9 without the complete index and backer names. He's asking us to give it a once over before finalizing and printing. Should be public before long!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Dredd is getting a TV show soon :toot:

Hell yeah Karl Urban still starring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Hell yeah Karl Urban still starring

They shelled out for him? Sweet. That's sold me on watching that.

• Locked thread