Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Olanphonia posted:

Investigate the government and bring some buns back with you when you're done. We're having a barbeque down here in biology!

This sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Investigate the government! They're not the man anymore, xcom is!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

When you kick open the Senate door looking for aliens make sure to say something like “Now WE perform the confessional inquiry!”

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
We need to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebA-TKVeyMw

Except instead of Mutons it's crazed cyborgs and psychics and we also shoot the aliens afterwards we shoot the aliens instead of the politicians.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

pre:
    .-'~~~`-.          
  .' R  I  P `.    
  |  Sammus   | 
  |           |          
  | VAPORIZED |   
\\| 10 kills  |//

:cry::cry::cry:

I guess I can't say I'm surprised though.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I have us check out some gov buildings. No aliens in the office. Our guys blow up some roads and cult cars.

No aliens in the apartments.

We get to the Senate. This is probably the worst possible place for aliens. And this is where they are.

Squad Select:
S1: Jawdins, Chillgamesh, Molothecat, PenguinSalsa
S2: Waffle House, SnotGrumble, Grem, Alan Smithee

p fuckin swanky. Basement is less swank.

S2 sees a spitter down by the actual senate floor. I have Grem scout the forum or whatever bullshit zone where they debate, but there's noting. Lotta marble and poo poo like that tho

I have no idea what the gently caress this room is supposed to be, but jawdins sees an alien in it and does some brain waving.
https://i.imgur.com/G16yadA.gifv

jawdins is potentially hosed. 3 HP and had both severe mangled legs and arm, was only able to fix the legs this turn because of extreme low TUs.

Penguin gets retribution but is not in a position to take out the other one. Gotta lay some smoke down and hope.
https://i.imgur.com/Nm8VkSt.gifv

Jawdins succumbs before we can stabilize. rip.

Molo was able to sneak thru the basement and spots the other aliens, but has practically no TUs. Gonna be tricky.

I have molo pop back down, bring up everyone else, right before ending turn Chill is able to destroy a ton of priceless hyperglass panels and land one shot that instantly kills the last alien

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
pre:
        _.---,._,'
       /' _.--.<
         /'     `'
       /' _.---._____
       \.'   ___, .-'`
           /'    \\            
         /'       `-.          
 X-COM  |                       
Memorial|        .-'~~~`-.        .-'~~~`-.        .-'~~~`-.
Landfill|      .' R  I  P `.    .' R  I  P `.    .' R  I  P `.
        |      |   Free    |    |  Resting  |    |Brazillian-|
        |      |  Hubcaps  |    | B1tchface |    | peanutwar |
        |      |FELL  700FT|    |BRAINSUCKED|    |BRAINSUCKED|
         \   \\|  0 Kills  |//\\|  1 Kill   |//\\|  0 Kills  |//
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    .-'~~~`-.        .-'~~~`-.        .-'~~~`-.        .-'~~~`-.    
  .' R  I  P `.    .' R  I  P `.    .' R  I  p `.    .' R  I  P `.  
  | Honky Dong|    |  Away all |    | Yvershek  |    | Harveygod |  
  |  Country  |    |   Goats   |    |           |    |           |  
  |BRAINSUCKED|    | BLOWN UP  |    | BLOWN UP  |    | VAPORIZED |  
\\| 16 Kills  |//\\|  4 Kills  |//\\|  9 Kills  |//\\| 10 Kills  |//
  .' R  I  P `.    .' R  i  P `.    .' R  I  p `.    .' R  I  P `.  
  |  Sammus   |    |  Jawdins  |    |           |    |           |  
  |           |    |           |    |           |    |           |  
  | VAPORIZED |    | BLED  OUT |    |           |    |           |  
\\| 10 kills  |//\\|  6 Kills  |//\\|           |//\\|           |//

On the way home we kill a couple more cult cars and successfully cave in the road to the point where the pilot cannot figure out how to get back to the base and I have to manually order it to go the crazy long rear end way around.

So it looks like the Government is safe. The cult may begin to climb again, I dunno. Also Osiron is getting infected again and Diablo isn't completely resolved.

Eh, it'll be fine. Gonna FF to get a research and

hooboy this is bad news

e: more people get killed first turn

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 22, 2017

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just a reminder that I am definitely a lover and not a fighter, please do not put me in coach.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

hooboy this is bad news

:suspense:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Dong Quixote posted:

Just a reminder that I am definitely a lover and not a fighter, please do not put me in coach.

oh no bud, everyone's in. Period. The guys with 2 hitpoints like Who What Now have to pick up a gun. This is do or die.

Even if we somehow lose the base we still have our second one so it's not gonna be a total game over, but yeah, it's a bad situation

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Good thing I built that security station. Dunno how much it'll really help tho. I honestly didn't think this would happen. We must've pissed someone off bad

Base Defense -- Enfield:
S1: pop fly to McGillicutty, poverty goat, Who What Now, Waffle House, HBar
S2: a hole-y ghost, PhantomPayne, PathAsc, DeadMansSuspenders, vortmax, Vadun
S3: Blue Train, ChickenHeart, The Protagonist, William Henry Hairytaint
S4: Chillgamesh, Molothecat, mind the walrus, Deadbeat Poetry
S5: AbbadonOfHell, Big Beef City, Graa, Comfy Fleece Sweater, Prince of Space, Lurks Morington
S6: A Pack of Kobolds, poisonpill, Cheap Hubcaps, Fister Roboto, Olanphonia

This is it guys, the nerds are gonna get some combat experience. Time to show ur mettle, where heros are born, all that type of poo poo

the map is goddamn huge. Most of the scientists are in their labs or living quarters, most of the agents are loving around in the training rooms or living quarters.

Priority one is getting these nerd squads the gently caress outta here. Most will be fine, because they're not acutally working, they're just hanging out in the living quarters near the entrance. They'll probably be fine.
https://i.imgur.com/PcqtmUH.gifv
These dicks, who surely are not all physicists but are chilling in the physics lab will have to sneak thru the garage to get to the exit. Not gonna work.

I bring as many agents as close as I can and hide the nerds in closets and basements. Ghost is forced to run closer to the entrance. The gangsters fire on him, but he makes it without getting shot. They have some disruptors. Guess we shouldn't have sold that poo poo on the black market.
https://i.imgur.com/lUmsNvf.gifv
I leave ChickenHeart exposed hoping the gangsters will focus on him
https://i.imgur.com/pFpoEf9.gifv

Most of the nerds make it out, except for the guys hiding in physics and Big Beef City + Comfy Fleece Sweater, who are pretty severely exposed. The guys who killed Ghost are right behind them, our agents are pretty far away, and their only hope is that the gang doesn't see them or the security station somehow saves their lives.
https://i.imgur.com/FJiGGee.gifv

I'm able to get taint eyes on the enemy and one is mind controlled.

Lester Hudson has a plasma pistol and a grenade, and notices some guys on the lower level of the repair bay headed towards the physics lab. Can't do anything about them rn.
https://i.imgur.com/Tj3O3wq.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/0XYuy8C.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/FRm98V0.gifv
Get the nerds out, start killin. Blue Train & Chickenheart do pretty good.

Protag kills the guy who killed Ghost and checks the hall, nobody else that way. Pop Fly is able to murder another gangster but I can hear screams from more than one person down there, so it seems like they really brought a shitload of guys to this. Also every one of them apparently carries a bunch of grenades and poo poo.
https://i.imgur.com/e3pW4KE.gifv

They're broken. I can hear them panicking, going berserk. A few explosions go off, I think one killed themselves by accident. Chicken walks down and kills that one that was under the catwalk.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
pre:
        _.---,._,'
       /' _.--.<
         /'     `'
       /' _.---._____
       \.'   ___, .-'`
           /'    \\            
         /'       `-.          
 X-COM  |                       
Memorial|        .-'~~~`-.        .-'~~~`-.        .-'~~~`-.
Landfill|      .' R  I  P `.    .' R  I  P `.    .' R  I  P `.
        |      |   Free    |    |  Resting  |    |Brazillian-|
        |      |  Hubcaps  |    | B1tchface |    | peanutwar |
        |      |FELL  700FT|    |BRAINSUCKED|    |BRAINSUCKED|
         \   \\|  0 Kills  |//\\|  1 Kill   |//\\|  0 Kills  |//
  .' R  I  P `.    .' R  I  P `.    .' R  I  p `.    .' R  I  P `.  
  | Honky Dong|    |  Away all |    | Yvershek  |    | Harveygod |  
  |  Country  |    |   Goats   |    |           |    |           |  
  |BRAINSUCKED|    | BLOWN UP  |    | BLOWN UP  |    | VAPORIZED |  
\\| 16 Kills  |//\\|  4 Kills  |//\\|  9 Kills  |//\\| 10 Kills  |//
  .' R  I  P `.    .' R  i  P `.    .' R  I  p `.    .' R  I  P `.  
  |  Sammus   |    |  Jawdins  |    | a hole-y  |    |           |  
  |           |    |           |    |   ghost   |    |           |  
  | VAPORIZED |    | BLED  OUT |    | VAPORIZED |    |           |  
\\| 10 kills  |//\\|  6 Kills  |//\\|16 Projects|//\\|           |//

We get the gear they had that wasn't destroyed. Mostly stuff we've already had like distruptors, snipers and poo poo. We get a new kind of missile launcher that I haven't shown off before.

I gotta do some finishing touches on this project I've been working on, so it might be a few more days before the update. We're gonna have to hire up some more agents and someone to take over for ghost. If you got idears for this belt em outi'll still post, just not gonna be these bigass updates

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You know I feel like the protagonist somehow has plot armor or something. Like he starts as a noob rising thru the ranks and has all these situations like right now where he avenges poor noble ghost and poo poo like this.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Who invaded your base, was it a criminal gang? I always thought aliens invaded X-com bases, but never got that far in Apocalypse.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yep, it was Psyke. They're between the Cult and us in strength. They have much better stats than the cult and even better stats than most of our guys, but they don't appear to have armor. They do have access to weak alien weapons and apparently most human ones.

Nobody's ever fielded psi against us tho, so I dunno what would have to happen to get people to mind attack us.

I guess this illustrates a concern about base design. They came in from the garage, but if this was the other base they would have only been able to enter thru the access lift. Which means I couldn't have gotten the scientists out at all, they would have to hide. If we load up more security stations it would be easier and safer to get them out because they could just run underneath the turrets. If the other base had security stations the attackers would have to get through the plasma storm before interacting with anything in the actual base.

For our first base, it's not really going to be effective to completely isolate the base from the outside with security stations.

We'd have to move or get rid of the small physics lab, a general store a living quarters, the medbay, and the big biology lab. Huge pain in the rear end. The physics lab and general stores would be the easiest to move. The big lab would be the hardest because it would take 8 days to do, would be pretty expensive, and we'd either have to move more buildings first or buy a whole new base

with our other base we could just plonk down 4 security stations and it'll be pretty drat secure.

Another thing is we had so many scientists and engineers in one base that they were pretty vulnerable.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

gently caress talking base defense, let's saddle up and counter attack Psyke. Nobody shits where we eat.

OUR HOUSE.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Put me down on the agent list. Pretty sure I've played every xcom apart from apocalypse (yes even interceptor) and even completed TftD so I have the alien slaying skills.

Will probably die to falling or gangs though.

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib
Yeah, put me down on the agent list as well - with the rate of attrition we’re experiencing...

This game seems pretty brutal and arbitrary compared to UFO: Enemy Unknown, glad I never played it.

Ponderous Saxon fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 22, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
on the list

IMO it's not arbitrary at all. Everything bad that happened was because I overextended somebody, or I didn't prepare and go into the mission well equipped.

We are in the position now where the alien weapons are much more dangerous than earlier, but that's just the game. The first two you don't even start with armor, you run out with rifles and your rear end in the wind. So it's either figure out better armor, or play in a way where you don't end a turn with your face directly pressed up against a gun barrel.

If the thread decides to counterraid Psyke we're going to go in much harder than usual and completely burn the place to the ground. Although it's a slum so it's mostly slag anyway. +we are gonna wanna make sure we can recover enough cash to pay for the missiles at least.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 22, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I did always think it was a bit dumb that in the first two you're a multinational funded organisation with elite soldiers and engineers and flying poo poo but apparently spent all your money on branding and marketing because you have to go into the field wearing jumpsuits with zero armour, not even a helmet.

Edit:I guess TftD had helmets actually, but on top of what was basically a wetsuit.

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib
Maybe it’s the combination of large levels/destructible terrain/generally nastier aliens? Either way, the margin of error in UFO:EU seems a lot greater.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I did always think it was a bit dumb that in the first two you're a multinational funded organisation with elite soldiers and engineers and flying poo poo but apparently spent all your money on branding and marketing because you have to go into the field wearing jumpsuits with zero armour, not even a helmet.

Edit:I guess TftD had helmets actually, but on top of what was basically a wetsuit.

Were any militaries wearing armour plates and poo poo back then? I thought it was just helmets until the 2000's where elite soldiers had to pay for their own armour.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Wait did you actually get any kind of benefit from those in TFTD? I thought it was just cosmetic. Why the gently caress would they take them off during surface missions then

Ponderous Saxon posted:

Maybe it’s the combination of large levels/destructible terrain/generally nastier aliens? Either way, the margin of error in UFO:EU seems a lot greater.

Well, EU had the difficulty bug where it always reset back to the easiest every time you loaded the game. We haven't really been through any major setbacks tbh. Even when I wrecked the last interceptor, if it was really down to the wire we could have just not bought a new one and let the UFO wrecks suicide. Bought it back next week or whatever. We haven't been in real serious danger of game over yet, except if we had been decimated by this base attack or possibly on hell day if I had got a bad run of extremely terrible missions and most of our guys had died. That's a lovely situation that can be difficult to dig out from, just because you need to be super careful with rookies after a certain point, they're so weak and slow and dumb compared to vets.

Because of that I like to trickle in noobs at all times, because there's been a trickling out of vets who get killed. That's easier to deal with then a wipe and rebuilding the force from scratch.

Talkin about the older xcoms, one thing that's cool is xcom used an early(?) implementation of voxels. They aren't visible in the actual graphics, but all the shots and objects in the game are voxel based under the hood. Years ago someone figured out a way to translate what the game "sees" in terms of visibility, shots hitting, where grenades can end up, etc, and it looks like this:

you remember thos fuckin farms. Check out the fences. The behavior of shooting a gun between the slats would be exactly like it's shown here, the fenceposts were never real, they just show up in the graphics.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Woden posted:

Were any militaries wearing armour plates and poo poo back then? I thought it was just helmets until the 2000's where elite soldiers had to pay for their own armour.

This is interesting as gently caress, and the answer according to Wikipedia apparently was yes. By the 80s it seems like Kevlar is out. In Vietnam some guys had armor. In WW2 the soviets had some use of ballistic vests and development of stuff that's noticeably more similar to modern armor and less knights in armor started around 1900 or so. Civil war had steel-based vests but it was a mixed bag because half was faulty and half worked fine and half the time your buds would call you a coward for it and half the time you would just abandon it because of how loving heavy it was.

Seems like ceramic took a while to percolate out from specialized uses to regular guys tho. I guess the whole deal with no armor in Iraq was that the world is an rear end in a top hat for making them go out there and it they also just never issued the armor? Don't remember and i'm not gonna look into it that far I think

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bio here, we have grafted psilocybin mushrooms to poison dart frogs like a goddamn venusaur. It's a weapon and a drug, you're welcome

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

You know I feel like the protagonist somehow has plot armor or something. Like he starts as a noob rising thru the ranks and has all these situations like right now where he avenges poor noble ghost and poo poo like this.

Yeah I'm feelin' it. Don't jinx it now I'm in til the end.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

PathAsc posted:

Bio here, we have grafted psilocybin mushrooms to poison dart frogs like a goddamn venusaur. It's a weapon and a drug, you're welcome

Soon we complete Project Marinade, which breaks down the toxins and converts alien blood into a smoky barbeque sauce.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

MilkmanLuke posted:

Soon we complete Project Marinade, which breaks down the toxins and converts alien blood into a smoky barbeque sauce.

It's like a self-basting roast!

I mean...it's a deadly weapon we can use to fight off the alien invaders

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Sign me up for maintenance duty or something

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Oh man, my fuckin ribs are gonna be off the hook once that project is done

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

That attack ruined a perfectly good nap

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

guns for tits posted:

Sign me up for maintenance duty or something

on the list

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

That attack ruined a perfectly good nap

You may want to avoid sleeping in the a next time, or at least sleep in the engineering bay and play it off that you were deeply thinking about work. fyi

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Kill the small physics lab and put in security. You want to get rid of it anyway right?

Also kick Psyche's rear end into the ground. You gently caress with xcom, you pay dearly. ☠

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I agree Psyke must die.

oh eh...*rattles chains and wails uncontrollably, spraying ectoplasm everywhere*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well, seeing as I had some time to kill waiting for the sun to come up, and I was bored as poo poo, and the thread went gold, and it's Christmas, instead of updating the game I ripped all the agent faces out of the gamefiles and scaled them as close to avatar size that I could. The next size up that excludes lovely artifacts is 15px larger than max av size on the forums.

The hardest part of doing this was wrangling the urls out of imgur (apparently the only way to do that other than manually grabbing them from each pic would be to use their API? dunno), and the second hardest part was actually uploading them. I had to do it in batches or the upload would fail. Actually getting them, converting them to a modern file type, and resizing them took like 5 mins with "PCKMANIP.EXE" and Image Magick. I should have checked to see if png was the optimal choice before I tried to upload them but gently caress that i'm not gonna go back and do it over again.

Merry X-Mas from all the agents or w/e

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

I'm the guy who blinked for his ID photo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lol. That dude is an obvious 90s video game badass tho

It's weird, when I tried to do the opposite, insert avs into the game, it blew the gently caress up and crashed every time I tried to start a mission. Probably something to do with accidentally inserting wrong sized images, or inserting them into the wrong pck, or believing the tool that said it could load bitmaps. Maybe I could try converting to pcx first, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end to even update the stats.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
My fav is the guy with tanning goggles & a Mohawk on the front half of his head only

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 24, 2017

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Don't post my picture without permission tia

• Locked thread