Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I literally held a Montagne hostage for probably over a minute on Cav one time until he turned just enough for another teammate to clip him on the side. Thankfully he probably wasn't communicating with his team or it would have been a much more tense situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does Montange need a corner to stay safe from bullets or just a wall? Does his shield cover 180 degrees? It's not very clear.

Also what is his role exactly? An indestructible drone + distraction?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Jack Trades posted:

Does Montange need a corner to stay safe from bullets or just a wall? Does his shield cover 180 degrees? It's not very clear.

It covers about 90 degrees in front of him so he's basically untouchable in a corner except for a little tiny bit on each side. But if it's you versus him, he can just turn slighty to adjust as necessary. Plus it's finicky as hell so even if you have help it's still a pain.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
all he needs is a doorframe

his hard counter is Smoke's warcrime cannister. you can also use ela's grzmot mine to force his shield to collapse until he re-toggles it. otherwise it'll take some sneaky traps or good positioning to get above/under/behind him. an effective thing to do once you get some map knowledge is to wait till he forgets he is near wood and wallbang him.

he is more resistant to getting his shield knocked back than blitz or fuze which ironically makes him the most capable of aggresively pushing in to attack op4 under direct fire

Jack Trades posted:

p much. think of him like a tank in a game like WoW where your job is to hold aggro and not stand in the fire.

actively contesting the obj sends defenders into a panic and makes them do dumb poo poo outside of higher ranked games. the really good montes will troll enemy teams by letting his shield drop. it makes a loud audible que and forces them the snapshot their aim back at him to counter. with proper positioning and timing this splits their defense and lets your teammates effectively flank them.

you can use smokes and flashes to waltz right in and cause chaos.

you can sperg out with which pistok you like. sometime having more ammo to take pot shots with is better to pressure them than outright kill them with the revolver.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

To be clear shields are objectively the worst choice from an "I want to win" standpoint even if they're fun and can work. Monty is the best at actually using his shield. 1v1 he's effectively unkillable if you have something you can back up to. 1v2+ is more or less unwinnable (even with a wall/door) against decent players, but if you're playing right you usually won't push too far from your support.

Team up with your group's fragger and you'll be making plays.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

1v1 at lower skill levels, the defender will inevitably unload their clip into you and reload, giving you a chance to unshield and plug them. Sometimes they will also turn their back and move away, giving you the same chance.

Higher players will try to fool you into unshielding or otherwise turning and will kill you.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
If you want to be a kill-y shield I would say pick up Blitz instead, even if his hitbox is

suspect

For Monty, I usually park myself into a window or door way and ping/callout where the bad dudes are in the objective, with them fairly helpless to stop me. It's pretty dangerous to actually go for a shot, though. Another silly trick that can work under rare conditions is on bomb to park yourself on the other site after the diffuser is planted, particularly in the door. If both sites happen to be clear because lol let's all roam guys then you can trick the enemy into thinking you've planted on the other site. I've done this on clubhouse a few times. Otherwise it's better to just sit on the diffuser itself in a corner or something, but that's not as chat-lmao worthy.

Think of shields are the loudest most obnoxious drone and you'll go far.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So in neat console news, microsoft poland apparently released details that they are going to integrate mouse and keyboard support for the Xbox One. It got deleted shortly after that so maybe an offical announcement is coming out?

Hard, i swear on your ghost that if you make Ubisoft enable this feature for Seige i will buy every season pass and elite uniform bullshit that comes put from that date forward.

tjones
May 13, 2005
That would be good, I guess. There are way too many people running XIMs in gold ranks and up, especially when you get to plat.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

To be clear shields are objectively the worst choice from an "I want to win" standpoint even if they're fun and can work. Monty is the best at actually using his shield. 1v1 he's effectively unkillable if you have something you can back up to. 1v2+ is more or less unwinnable (even with a wall/door) against decent players, but if you're playing right you usually won't push too far from your support.

Team up with your group's fragger and you'll be making plays.

There's some funny/dumb gimmicky poo poo in Bomb with Monty. Turn away while planting the defuser to get some decent cover in a corner/door then deploy shield and stand on it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol the turtleshell smoke spam plant works every time

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

No Monty trick is funnier than standing on the hostage and baiting some idiot to throw a nitro or smoke at you.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Just got the game and decided to run some Terrohunts to get a good feel for the controls/maps.
First 4 games were a dude TK everyone at round start, another dude downing/rezzing the hostage til he got bored and just iced him, another TK, and some child and his child friends begging a dude to let him play Smoke I think.

Welcome to Siege I guess.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Just got the game and decided to run some Terrohunts to get a good feel for the controls/maps.
First 4 games were a dude TK everyone at round start, another dude downing/rezzing the hostage til he got bored and just iced him, another TK, and some child and his child friends begging a dude to let him play Smoke I think.

For some reason Terrohunt mode has an insane amount of TKers. From my experience people very rarely TK in any other gamemode.

I recommend starting with Situations instead.
They go through a large chunk of the map roster, progressively introduce you to all the game mechanics and let you test pilot a bunch of original operators.
Also you can get 200x3 Renown per Situation by doing the challenges in them which adds up quite nicely, especially when you just start playing.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Play through the situations. They will teach you a lot more than t-hunt. I find if you queue for Hard T-hunt (instead of normal) you usually get people who aren't just there for warmups between rounds. Like 80% of the people in hard t-hunt are 30-40 year old dudes who just want to play a Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six game and are chill. I haven't run into many toxic people in a while, so that's good. But yeah trolls are a fact of life in a game where you can TK. Report them and move on

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

That first game TK didn't even make me mad.
Just said to myself "Glad we got that out of the way"

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

also watch the tutorial videos, you'll get renown for each and more for watching all 3.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCMfENqjBPE

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

"I need better headphones" gently caress yeah boy, I heard that poo poo on my phone's speakers

Nice flick to the glaz.

The Damascus Steel skin rules, what didn't rule is that I bought that charm that costs 1 Rainbow Buck and now I am literally 1 currency away from getting a legendary skin

Womp womp

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know what the exact rules for being allowed to vault through a barricaded door are?
Sometimes it lets me vault through after one melee strike, sometimes it needs two strikes.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Penpal posted:

"I need better headphones" gently caress yeah boy, I heard that poo poo on my phone's speakers

Nice flick to the glaz.

The Damascus Steel skin rules, what didn't rule is that I bought that charm that costs 1 Rainbow Buck and now I am literally 1 currency away from getting a legendary skin

Womp womp

i didnt get it recorded but he proceeded to complain bout not hearing what direction anything is coming from "and NO, my headphones arent backwards"

*30 seconds later*

"Guys, my headphones were on backwards"

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol vigil is the king of peeks now. his gun is pretty comparable to jager's even.

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know what the exact rules for being allowed to vault through a barricaded door are?
Sometimes it lets me vault through after one melee strike, sometimes it needs two strikes.

i think if you hit it at the right spot near the middle you can vault right through. i heard something about using the spraypainted "X" as a reference but haven't hosed around with it.

as a defender i just go around x2 hitting my favorite windows/doors to grief people that hold sprint after spawning

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Jack Trades posted:

If you break 3 boards with 1 hit you can vault through it. There are a couple of sweet spots for doors/windows but they're quite finicky to get consistently right.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Just run it lone wolf.

Or join discord and we will show you the ropes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

If you break 3 boards with 1 hit you can vault through it. There are a couple of sweet spots for doors/windows but they're quite finicky to get consistently right.

Ah, 3 board, got it. Thanks.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Jack Trades posted:

Ah, 3 board, got it. Thanks.

It's actually 2. 3 melee strikes will break a barricade.

Edit: oh I see you're talking about doing it in one hit. Just hit the bottom twice SMDH.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

equip this materia just in case your entire team dies in the first minute but you're smashing the entire opposite end of the building apart as shotgun sledge and won't be on the obj until the last 30s:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Remember a while ago Aus goons were tying to organise and play together? No, of course not. Well, did it happen? Is there a Discord or whatever, because now I知 settled in Brissy I知 already bored of pub solo queue.

(If the answer is no I値l just make one for you lazy fucks.)

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Shockeh posted:

Remember a while ago Aus goons were tying to organise and play together? No, of course not. Well, did it happen? Is there a Discord or whatever, because now I知 settled in Brissy I知 already bored of pub solo queue.

(If the answer is no I値l just make one for you lazy fucks.)

Discord info in the OP

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I really envy pubbie teams that have good montagne synergy. Whenever I play him my team is never with me and I have to fight three guys alone at the same time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

keyframe posted:

I really envy pubbie teams that have good montagne synergy. Whenever I play him my team is never with me and I have to fight three guys alone at the same time.

I've given up getting people to follow me, and instead go with whatever the bigger group is.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've given up getting people to follow me, and instead go with whatever the bigger group is.

So, the 3 guys peeking over each others shoulders at the same window.

I prefer standing menacingly in door frames even if it isn't as effective as chasing the pubbies for help.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
I've stopped playing Monty. Used to have a ton of fun with him, but more often than not lately I'm taking hits even with my shield up.

Also, not sure if its a bug or intentional, but if you are fully extended (hehe) in a window, someone can vault through you/shoot/kill you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

So, the 3 guys peeking over each others shoulders at the same window.

I prefer standing menacingly in door frames even if it isn't as effective as chasing the pubbies for help.

I don't play with pubbies :colbert:

(I'm aware the original post is about pubbies)

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
So, I just started playing Siege (picked it up in the steam sale, and have to say that I am absoutely loving it so far; best shooter I've played in years, far better than Overwatch. Now, how do I Git gud? I'm finding myself with really low K/D ratios right now :( I'm currently learning how to play mostly Twitch and Thatcher on the Offense, and Valkyrie and Ela on the defence. (I was mucking about with Mira for a bit, but I really suck as her). I guess I don't have the lightning reflex reaction times as other people because I've come from RTSs and TBSs.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

tomdidiot posted:

So, I just started playing Siege (picked it up in the steam sale, and have to say that I am absoutely loving it so far; best shooter I've played in years, far better than Overwatch. Now, how do I Git gud? I'm finding myself with really low K/D ratios right now :( I'm currently learning how to play mostly Twitch and Thatcher on the Offense, and Valkyrie and Ela on the defence. (I was mucking about with Mira for a bit, but I really suck as her). I guess I don't have the lightning reflex reaction times as other people because I've come from RTSs and TBSs.

Hop on discord and join a group. As long as you can aim and shoot the rest is just map knowledge and practice.

-If you are a new player do not roam the map on defense. Just learn to be patient and cover one or two angles.

-Do NOT peek the attackers if you know they are coming to you. It is much better to get a great angle to shoot them from and stay quiet. We have enough lovely players on discord that can't resist to run into the room with rook making a ton of sound then go "gently caress!" when they get domed.

-When you are attacking drone ahead. Always drone ahead before breaking doors or whatever. That ten seconds you spend droning will save your life.

-Do not break away from team and go in solo when attacking especially when you don't know the maps. You will just get interrogated by Caveira and ruin the rest of the team.

Again just hop on discord and play with us. Siege is meant to be played in a group that communicates.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

keyframe posted:

Hop on discord and join a group. As long as you can aim and shoot the rest is just map knowledge and practice.

-If you are a new player do not roam the map on defense. Just learn to be patient and cover one or two angles.

-Do NOT peek the attackers if you know they are coming to you. It is much better to get a great angle to shoot them from and stay quiet. We have enough lovely players on discord that can't resist to run into the room with rook making a ton of sound then go "gently caress!" when they get domed.

-When you are attacking drone ahead. Always drone ahead before breaking doors or whatever. That ten seconds you spend droning will save your life.

-Do not break away from team and go in solo when attacking especially when you don't know the maps. You will just get interrogated by Caveira and ruin the rest of the team.

Again just hop on discord and play with us. Siege is meant to be played in a group that communicates.

Yeah, just finished a match where it was a 3-on-1... we all ran in one at a time and the defender picked us off 1 by 1. I should have coordinated better as not only did I have a drone left, I was literally Twitch, so could shock/harass with the drone while the others pushed. Could have made a difference.

On the bright side, I actually killed someone with a Twitch drone - I tihnk they must have lost about half their health or something already because it only took about 4 shots to down them.

EDIT: Have also just joined the discord!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

tomdidiot posted:

On the bright side, I actually killed someone with a Twitch drone - I tihnk they must have lost about half their health or something already because it only took about 4 shots to down them.

Yeah, the Shock Drone does 10 damage per shot.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Anyone know if the Ubisoft store chibis become bubbleheads on shields like the regular chibis? Google couldn't help me.

I'm tempted to get the one below because of how smug it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

one of the regulars in discord bought one so you'll probably get a response faster there. either @iceorb or keyframe iirc they got an IQ one because she is the coolest waifu

• Locked thread