Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

All wheels are wear items, and all wheels will break.

True, but not all wheels are created equal either. I wouldn't use Rotas as track wheels personally but see no problem with them as street wheels. Not worth the risk when you can get RPF1s for pretty reasonable prices (and they look a gently caress ton better on pretty much any vehicle, just like TE37 look good on anything. :v:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm tracking RPF1s, but they don't clear larger than stock calipers in the offset / width I need so now I'm hosed :v:
Weds TC105N it shall be.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 20, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just saw a guy in the parking lot with RPF1s. It made me happy.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So I am about 8 months into owning my Golf R and one of the reasons I bought it was for AWD and the fact that it might help me deal with slick roads during the winter. This morning we had an early morning ice storm with lots of black ice. I had put snow tires on 2 weeks ago and holy poo poo does it just MUNCH on icy pavement. I love it. It's the most fun thing I've ever driven, and even in "drive" shifting and "comfort" tuning, when you drop the hammer it loving roars.

Do always buy Golf R.

Plus two super cute girls that go to my gym drive GTis and they're always looking at me my car :( enviously.

I love the looks of the Golf R but could never bring myself to actually spend money on it over the GTI. Last year when I was looking to replace my 2010 GTI the price difference was $10k+ between a loaded GTI (with dealers putting cash on the hood) and a Golf R at MSRP. It's hard to justify paying 40% of the purchase price on a trim level. Is the R really that much better?

I miss having a real hatchback.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 21, 2017

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Quick price check for a GTI in the Houston area, advertised for the S trim is $21k for 2017s.

Good? Bad? That seems to be the going price for that trim. I'm buying through our credit union's car buying service so there may not be much wiggle room.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 21, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sounds about right. Be wary on the Houston dealers, a lot of them won’t give you a written price, making you go down there on only a verbal promise that’s the price.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yeah, I have two quotes in writing, otherwise I won't bother. Traffic is going to suck this weekend.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

BlackMK4 posted:

All wheels are wear items, and all wheels will break.

Yeah, no. Wear items are things that are expected to need replacement within the normal life span of the vehicle (ie, clutches, tires, batteries, etc). The overwhelming majority of wheels you see in the road are factory original, and will last longer than the useful life of the car. I'll even go for a stretch and say that the overwhelming majority of aftermarket wheels were installed for reasons not including breakage of the factory wheels. That said, there are pretty hilarious failures of factory wheels - ie a tech leaving a wrench or screwdriver in the well, which led to a field failure description including the phrase 'hand grenade', as well as the occasional external puncture of things like channel steel or rebar. Most of the failures aren't in a part of the wheel that the wheel engineers have ownership over anyway, since the geometry of the tire cavity is largely owned by the national standards body in the manufacturer's country of origin - ie, JATMA or the US/EU equivalent.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MarsellusWallace posted:

Yeah, no. Wear items are things that are expected to need replacement within the normal life span of the vehicle (ie, clutches, tires, batteries, etc). The overwhelming majority of wheels you see in the road are factory original, and will last longer than the useful life of the car. I'll even go for a stretch and say that the overwhelming majority of aftermarket wheels were installed for reasons not including breakage of the factory wheels. That said, there are pretty hilarious failures of factory wheels - ie a tech leaving a wrench or screwdriver in the well, which led to a field failure description including the phrase 'hand grenade', as well as the occasional external puncture of things like channel steel or rebar. Most of the failures aren't in a part of the wheel that the wheel engineers have ownership over anyway, since the geometry of the tire cavity is largely owned by the national standards body in the manufacturer's country of origin - ie, JATMA or the US/EU equivalent.

Aluminum wheels are wear items on tracked cars, there, let me narrow down what I said a bit. Most failure happen to the spokes.
And when I say all wheels will break, I am talking about people posting pictures of broken wheels due to impacts along with some tagline like 'dont buy reps' because somehow the branded wheel wouldn't have failed in the same incident after leaving the road at 70mph.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 22, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Residency Evil posted:

I love the looks of the Golf R but could never bring myself to actually spend money on it over the GTI. Last year when I was looking to replace my 2010 GTI the price difference was $10k+ between a loaded GTI (with dealers putting cash on the hood) and a Golf R at MSRP. It's hard to justify paying 40% of the purchase price on a trim level. Is the R really that much better?

I miss having a real hatchback.

Wow, did I get lucky? I got well under MSRP on the 2018 Golf R I ordered, although they didn't seem thrilled to do it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

PT6A posted:

Wow, did I get lucky? I got well under MSRP on the 2018 Golf R I ordered, although they didn't seem thrilled to do it.

How far under were you able to get?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Residency Evil posted:

How far under were you able to get?

I think the final amount was $2000 off, which, granted, isn't amazing but it's significantly better than MSRP and I was fairly satisfied with it on a limited production vehicle that's not even being built yet, much less in stock.

EDIT: Independent of trade-in and financing, too.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 22, 2017

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Crescendo posted:

Thanks, I'll post the actual pics in this thread when I get them mounted next year.

As to your question, first up let me say that I'm definitely no expert - anyone actually competent is welcome to dispense their knowledge.

I really appreciate the detailed response, thank you.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Well guys, I finally did it. S trim in black and this car (even taking it easy) is a ball to drive.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 23, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a mysterious cloak posted:

Well guys, I finally did it. S trim in black and this car (even taking it easy) is a ball to drive.

Nice! Get it tinted and throw some new rubber on. It’ll be a riot.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

But the Sport trim is so good and such a great value right now...

e: sorry I should elaborate, and I don't want to reduce anyone's new car sensation, but I bought a GTI myself last week and have been doing insane amounts of negotiating and research for a solid month before that.

And the fact is, for anyone looking to buy a GTI right now, the Sport trim is by far, no contest, the best trim to get and dealers are willing to play ball on reducing the price level of that trim to be more competitive (which is crazy because it was always the best trim). I was consistently able to get the Sport trim within $1,000 of the S trim. And for that money you get:

- The excellent limited Slip Diff
- Golf R brakes
- Extra HP
- 18 inch Nogaro wheels
- Push button start, keyless ignition
- Xenon lighting package

It's a slam dunk and anyone looking for a new GTI should be getting the Sport package, no contest. It's such a good package that it arguably devalues the SE and Autobahn trims (and I think VW agrees because they are ELIMINATING the Sport package for 2018 after offering it for only one year- wonder why?!)

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 23, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Taima posted:

But the Sport trim is so good and such a great value right now...

e: sorry I should elaborate, and I don't want to reduce anyone's new car sensation, but I bought a GTI myself last week and have been doing insane amounts of negotiating and research for a solid month before that.

And the fact is, for anyone looking to buy a GTI right now, the Sport trim is by far, no contest, the best trim to get and dealers are willing to play ball on reducing the price level of that trim to be more competitive (which is crazy because it was always the best trim). I was consistently able to get the Sport trim within $1,000 of the S trim. And for that money you get:

- The excellent limited Slip Diff
- Golf R brakes
- Extra HP
- 18 inch Nogaro wheels
- Push button start, keyless ignition
- Xenon lighting package

It's a slam dunk and anyone looking for a new GTI should be getting the Sport package, no contest. It's such a good package that it arguably devalues the SE and Autobahn trims (and I think VW agrees because they are ELIMINATING the Sport package for 2018 after offering it for only one year- wonder why?!)

This is why I bought one. It was a no brainer and since it was only a 1 year thing, I couldn't resist. Had all the good stuff I wanted and none of the extra bullshit. Can't recommend it enough so far either. Love me some keyless entry and never having to get the key out of my pocket. It's silly little poo poo like this that make it an awesome all around package. The only things I want to do is get it tinted and get the autodimming/homelink mirror. I just added this little thing which makes android auto/carplay so much easier since there's no more fumbling with cables. http://www.d-docks.com/

I'm surprised you could get a Sport that cheap though compared to an S. I feel like you could get an S for like 20k.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 24, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

I'm surprised you could get a Sport that cheap though compared to an S. I feel like you could get an S for like 20k.
I swear I saw someone talking about an S advertised at something like $17k very recently. Probably one of those things that is impossible to qualify for all the incentives with, but it's probably still going to go for under $20k.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

A Sport would have been cool, but eh. The only thing that caught my eye about the package was the LSD and the upgraded brakes. 25 year old me would've hunted one down, but 47 year old me feels good with the S.

I really, really love this car. I do want to get it tinted, though.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Larrymer posted:

I just added this little thing which makes android auto/carplay so much easier since there's no more fumbling with cables. http://www.d-docks.com/
That's cool, ordering one for my car.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Larrymer posted:

I live in CA and we don't get those insane deals you see around (seemingly always on the East Coast) so anything I say regarding price will be very YMMV depending on where you live. The basic principle holds though: the Sport trim is the trim to beat.

The idea of getting a 2017 S trim for $17k is just totally foreign to me. If anyone is actually getting that deal then kudos. Even 20k makes no sense to me where I live. If you can get an S trim for more than $2,000 or so off compared to a Sport I guess that's fair enough. I would be hard pressed to buy a car in 2017 that doesn't have basic necessities like keyless entry and push to start though.

Larrymer posted:

I just added this little thing which makes android auto/carplay so much easier since there's no more fumbling with cables. http://www.d-docks.com/

Ahhhhh man thank you! I have been hating life with the insanely stupid carplay cord. Apparently some cars are starting to get wireless Carplay, to which my question is: why the gently caress didn't it start out as wireless...

anyways I'm totally ordering that, thanks.

Taima fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 24, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

That's cool, ordering one for my car.

Taima posted:

Ahhhhh man thank you!

Now I feel like a shill. I have no association with that dude, I promise. I just think it's a really good design and better than my half assed solution. I tried using another sort of dock in the cupholder but it looked like poo poo and didn't work half as well. I like how clean this is keeping everything contained in the cubby.

a mysterious cloak posted:

A Sport would have been cool, but eh. The only thing that caught my eye about the package was the LSD and the upgraded brakes. 25 year old me would've hunted one down, but 47 year old me feels good with the S.

I really, really love this car. I do want to get it tinted, though.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was dissing your brand new car. I too wonder if it's really worth it for me sometimes since I rarely put it in sport mode and put regular gas in it because the power is good 'nuff like that. :v: Glad you're enjoying it. :)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Goddamnit, I'm disappointed in how much I like this thing.

especially for 17 out the door with taxes
16, 2 door S, 6 speed, 19k miles. Need to address minor curbing on the passenger front but it got traded in at Jim Ellis Porsche so I don't even need to worry about scraping a dealer vinyl off which is nice. They just wanted to get it off their books before the end of the year.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 24, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
You guys are really warming me up to a GTI sport, especially at these prices. Back seat good enough for three kids NOT in car seats occasionally? Their primary ride is our explorer so the family truckster goes with them but will need to make sure they can fit from time to time.

I loved my 98 GTI VR6 and in the low 20s a 17 Sport should meet my needs if I can find a manual.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

TraderStav posted:

You guys are really warming me up to a GTI sport, especially at these prices. Back seat good enough for three kids NOT in car seats occasionally? Their primary ride is our explorer so the family truckster goes with them but will need to make sure they can fit from time to time.

I loved my 98 GTI VR6 and in the low 20s a 17 Sport should meet my needs if I can find a manual.

I don't have kids but I can fit full sized adults in the back seat no problem.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

TraderStav posted:

I'm 5'7" and the back seat is perfectly usable as long as no one over 6 foot is driving. Width wise, idk, I haven't had that many people in the back yet.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

3 kids should be fine if it’s only occasionally. It’s more suited to 2+2 but it’ll be fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm only 5'10 on a good day so leg room shouldn't be an issue, less so for kids. It's the width I'm concerned about. Smashing three brothers together never ends well.

What kind of real world mileage are you seeing with the Sport manual? I have a 38 mile commute with 80% highway and 20% country dirt roads. Was looking at plugin electrics but may go more towards fun with lower mileage.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Back seat good enough for three kids NOT in car seats occasionally?

Absolutely, especially if they aren't close to adult size.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

fknlo posted:

Absolutely, especially if they aren't close to adult size.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

3 kids should be fine if it’s only occasionally. It’s more suited to 2+2 but it’ll be fine.

Good to hear, thanks! They're 10,6,6 so will be some time. Also, it's more likely that by the time they're big enough to be a problem and I had all three my wife WOULDN'T be with me or else we'd just have taken the SUV. The oldest could sit shotgun and get away from the whole issue.

Hoping to see some low mileage 17 Sport manuals hit the low 20s in the Spring when I'm likely to pull the trigger.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Good to hear, thanks! They're 10,6,6 so will be some time.

You're fine for a while then. I managed to get 4 adults and all of our skiing/snowboarding gear inside my mk6 Golf after the roof rack attachment holding our boards and skis came off the top while driving to Colorado.

In news that I know affects a couple of people in this thread, it looks like Ford finally admitted that the Focus RS has some issues with the head gasket. I know that the issue was known, I don't think I'd seen that Ford had admitted it though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

fknlo posted:

You're fine for a while then. I managed to get 4 adults and all of our skiing/snowboarding gear inside my mk6 Golf after the roof rack attachment holding our boards and skis came off the top while driving to Colorado.

In news that I know affects a couple of people in this thread, it looks like Ford finally admitted that the Focus RS has some issues with the head gasket. I know that the issue was known, I don't think I'd seen that Ford had admitted it though.

Speaking of, is there a factory roof rack for the GTI or only the clamp on kind?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Speaking of, is there a factory roof rack for the GTI or only the clamp on kind?

Everything for the Golf and GTI is clamp on. I run the bars that would be considered OE though and they work great. My issue was with a lovely attachment rented from a ski shop coming off. The OE rack also looks the best.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I wish they had put mounting points in the roof. My Speed3 has them and it felt more secure than the clamp on variety.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TraderStav posted:

I'm only 5'10 on a good day so leg room shouldn't be an issue, less so for kids. It's the width I'm concerned about. Smashing three brothers together never ends well.

What kind of real world mileage are you seeing with the Sport manual? I have a 38 mile commute with 80% highway and 20% country dirt roads. Was looking at plugin electrics but may go more towards fun with lower mileage.

I averaged 32mpg with a similar commute.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I averaged 32mpg with a similar commute.

Pretty good. Will be able to finance a portion of it on mileage savings alone. Getting 18-19 in my explorer currently.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I wish they had put mounting points in the roof. My Speed3 has them and it felt more secure than the clamp on variety.

While mounting points would be great, the clamp on ones are plenty secure.

I'd be fine driving across the country with that. You do worry the first few times you pass a semi at 70+.

TraderStav posted:

Pretty good. Will be able to finance a portion of it on mileage savings alone. Getting 18-19 in my explorer currently.

Yeah, you'll get way more than that in a GTI. Most of my driving is city now and I'm still getting 22mpg and up, and I'm not easy on the gas pedal by any stretch of the imagination.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, city is alright but it does insanely well at 75-85mph on cruise.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
im averaging 27.5 mpg over the first 8k miles in my GTI and that's with the DSG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, city is alright but it does insanely well at 75-85mph on cruise.

I got 37mpg on a trip back to KC from Colorado before I moved. Not far off from what my TDI would usually get.