Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Raged posted:

Been running a gravy train passenger run for the last day and am up to 700+ mil and can't stop myself running it. When do you hit enough money to say gently caress it I'm good? So easy to sit on the couch and watch TV and run it.

Details on this run? I like passenger missions and run them in my Python.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah I’d like to know too I’ve been grinding up minor faction rank at diamond frog base but it’s slow money and more for just something to do. I’d love to earn enough to buy an FGS.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Raged posted:

Been running a gravy train passenger run for the last day and am up to 700+ mil and can't stop myself running it. When do you hit enough money to say gently caress it I'm good? So easy to sit on the couch and watch TV and run it.

Thirding the request for your run, my foray into piracy is...not going well

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

chaosapiant posted:

Details on this run? I like passenger missions and run them in my Python.

First off it's boring as batshit.

Parutis to Medb (Vela Dock)

Starts and you have to spend some time getting full loads but once you get your rep up, filling up speeds up a lot.

It takes about 35 min to get from jump into Vela Dock. Has given me plenty of time to wrap presents, clean the house and get dinner prepped for X-mas day. Highest run I have had so far has been 70m ish

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Raged posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Elite Dangerous: Horizons: Beyond - First off it's boring as batshit.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Raged posted:

Parutis to Medb (Vela Dock)

Starts and you have to spend some time getting full loads but once you get your rep up, filling up speeds up a lot.

It takes about 35 min to get from jump into Vela Dock. Has given me plenty of time to wrap presents, clean the house and get dinner prepped for X-mas day. Highest run I have had so far has been 70m ish

this is real good for listening to podcasts

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

I did the opposite recently. Just did one mission for barely 2 million bucks to get my alt friendly with the Diamond Frogs. Then I agreed to transport a team of DF-researchers to a star 3,5k light years away. For about 4,5 million space credits. About 500 ly in, I then nearly killed myself driving around on a moon with almost zero gravity and an incredibly rough landscape, resulting in lots of crashes into said landscape.

That said, this little expedition turned out more fun then expected! This moon I was on for example, had most of its surface consisting of small valleys between mountains, connected by rough and often impassable little canyons. (The valley I landed in was barely flat enough for my DBX to land, I shudder at the thought of attempting a landing here in a larger ship.)

Since I'm not doing this for the money, I immediately stopped after getting ready to launch again. Didn't want to overdo it, still 100+ jumps to go, after all. :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, how much level gain do you get with Felicity Farseer if you dump your explo data on her instead of grinding engineering rolls?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I leveled up to grade 5 with her almost completely on exploration data

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

iospace posted:

Question, how much level gain do you get with Felicity Farseer if you dump your explo data on her instead of grinding engineering rolls?

It depends how much you dump. I think I went from 0 to 5 with about 10M worth of data but it might be a lot less required.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Raged posted:

[...] Parutis to Medb (Vela Dock) [...]

This is great! Now I can make plenty of space :20bux: while adulting and cleaning the house!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

lemonadesweetheart posted:

It depends how much you dump. I think I went from 0 to 5 with about 10M worth of data but it might be a lot less required.

I'll probably end up giving her a lot more than that, especially if I save my data from this recent trip.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

iospace posted:

It takes a lot of data. I think it's easier to do rolls unless you already have the data.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Krycek posted:

It takes a lot of data. I think it's easier to do rolls unless you already have the data.

I just unlocked another engineer and it only takes like 3-4? rolls per tier if you just have tons of materials saved up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Krycek posted:

10 million exploration data isn't hard to come by.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Krycek posted:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6hhcpq/road_to_riches_web_app/

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Since I got my VIVE I’ve been flying my ‘conda and that’s fun enough, but if you’re doing similar you really need to step back down into a smaller ship - I have a half-engineered Vulture and the tight handling and big glass cockpit makes for amazing situational awareness and enemy tracking, it’s a far better use of VR.

Will two large multis punch through shields stock, or do they need an engineer effect on them?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Started engineering and whoever thought this was going to be fun/entertaining needs to be kicked in the nut repeatedly.

Also, really loving whatever bug that is making my Felicity Farseer rep stuck at 2/3 of the way to level 5. Restarting did not fix it.

Raged fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 25, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've been doing some merc work and the Cobra I'm using feels paper-thin. What's the better combat ship to upgrade to before the Vulture: Viper MK3, Viper MK4, or the Diamondback Scout? Addendum: I don't do trade runs, but I'm cool with ferrying goods one-way if only to encourage me to explore more.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

I've been doing some merc work and the Cobra I'm using feels paper-thin. What's the better combat ship to upgrade to before the Vulture: Viper MK3, Viper MK4, or the Diamondback Scout? Addendum: I don't do trade runs, but I'm cool with ferrying goods one-way if only to encourage me to explore more.

I've done ok in my Viper Mk 4, although I immediately missed how fast the Cobra was. Most intensely when I was being shot apart from behind. I think the dbs has more guns?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

I've done ok in my Viper Mk 4, although I immediately missed how fast the Cobra was. Most intensely when I was being shot apart from behind. I think the dbs has more guns?

Viper-3 is a great cheap heavy fighter that's pretty tanky for its size and fast as balls. Great fun to fly but suffers from a poor FSD and undersized power core.

Viper-4 is tankier and fixes the FSD and power grid issues, but loses out majorly in speed and agility. It's basically a fightier Cobra-3.

The Diamondback Scout meanwhile is little pricy, but super agile, has good hardpoint positioning, and a great frameshift range for something its size. It's a great workhorse ship if you want to get around while you're kicking rear end in a space helicopter gunship.

Edit: They all have the standard heavy fighter 2 small, 2 medium hardpoints, just positioned differently.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 25, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My dogfighting skills aren't so hot; I'm just doing the usual "pursue enemy from behind, do wide curves when I fly past a slower target or if the enemy is behind me" thing so I'm not confident in my ability to actually take advantage of good speeds. Therefore I'm kinda partial to a slower but tankier ship. That said, the Diamondback seems to be a lot more utilitarian so I can do more than just fight. Can it be specced to have good shields/hull without costing too much?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Since I got my VIVE I’ve been flying my ‘conda and that’s fun enough, but if you’re doing similar you really need to step back down into a smaller ship - I have a half-engineered Vulture and the tight handling and big glass cockpit makes for amazing situational awareness and enemy tracking, it’s a far better use of VR.

Will two large multis punch through shields stock, or do they need an engineer effect on them?

The basic rule of thumb is to use energy weapons on shields and dakka on hull.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

osirisisdead posted:

The basic rule of thumb is to use energy weapons on shields and dakka on hull.

The rule for your other thumb is that undersized dakka get a penalty against large hull classes whereas smaller lasers just do a bit less damage to shields, so put your multi cannon in the large slots and your lasers in the smaller slots.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That penalty sucks and should get outta town, imo.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Dandywalken posted:

That penalty sucks and should get outta town, imo.

It's a penalty against the most fun ships in the game. Worst fdev choice yet.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

My dogfighting skills aren't so hot; I'm just doing the usual "pursue enemy from behind, do wide curves when I fly past a slower target or if the enemy is behind me" thing so I'm not confident in my ability to actually take advantage of good speeds. Therefore I'm kinda partial to a slower but tankier ship. That said, the Diamondback seems to be a lot more utilitarian so I can do more than just fight. Can it be specced to have good shields/hull without costing too much?

It's decently tanky out of the box and has four aux hardpoints so you could go with something like scanner/chaff/shield booster X2. It's somewhat bigger than the Viper but can be pretty nimble - I think I've spent more time flying sideways in mine than straight forwards.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I like the Viper 3 a lot as a fighter. Its speed is really fun (especially when you crank up the drives), and you can see the two M hardpoints from the cockpit when they're deployed which I find adds a little something to combat.

If you're planning on moving to a Vulture the DBS isn't a bad option either; it'll give you practice flying in three dimensions, which is the Vulture's strength.

Also the DBS looks cool when it lands.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I like the Viper 3 a lot as a fighter. Its speed is really fun (especially when you crank up the drives), and you can see the two M hardpoints from the cockpit when they're deployed which I find adds a little something to combat.

If you're planning on moving to a Vulture the DBS isn't a bad option either; it'll give you practice flying in three dimensions, which is the Vulture's strength.

Also the DBS looks cool when it lands.

Actually those are the small hardpoints
:goonsay:

I love the Viper-3 a lot, that's why I'm so disappointed with the MKIV. The DBS is just so much more convenient thanks to the beefy FSD, travelling in a Viper-3 is just plain painful.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mike the TV posted:

It's a penalty against the most fun ships in the game. Worst fdev choice yet.

Counterpoint: smothering multicrew in the crib.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Did the traffic controller just say "oh-seven" to me as I was departing?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Bargearse posted:

Did the traffic controller just say "oh-seven" to me as I was departing?

Yep.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the answers, guys. I think I'll go for the Diamondback next; the utility is pretty good and I suppose I'll have to learn how to maneuver properly one day so might as well start with this one.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

toasterwarrior posted:

Thanks for the answers, guys. I think I'll go for the Diamondback next; the utility is pretty good and I suppose I'll have to learn how to maneuver properly one day so might as well start with this one.

The Diamondbacks and the Gunship are helicopters in an airplane game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

The Diamondbacks and the Gunship are helicopters in an airplane game.

This thing looks sweet as gently caress though.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

toasterwarrior posted:

This thing looks sweet as gently caress though.

I just multicrewed up and tried to find a Thargoid for the first time. It blew us to hell.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Well, there goes the fourth wall o7

Also I just got hyperdicted in VR, first time playing with the Vive, holy poo poo this is incredible

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bargearse posted:

Well, there goes the fourth wall o7

Also I just got hyperdicted in VR, first time playing with the Vive, holy poo poo this is incredible

Elite VR is the best game experience out right now; welcome!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I can't imagine playing it any other way, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Without VR it is one of the most boring monotonous games out today. Whoever said the gameplay is like EQ is dead on. Everything to get ahead in the game is painfully boring and monotonous. Seems like the devs took on the boring complaints and put out engineers as if to say "You thought the base game was boing? Well gently caress you have something worse"

• Locked thread