Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Bicyclops posted:

We are currently preparing for my grandfather's death (he's reached the point where he doesn't want to be in the hospital anymore, and soon they will be moving him home and making him as comfortable as they can), and I am extremely mad that, unless some miracle happens, he will die in a world where Nazis have regained so much drat power.

Make a world that would make your grandchildren angry that it regressed back to today’s level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

tumblr hype man posted:

A wide, flared base.

His base has to be wide, otherwise they might disappear up their own asses.

E : Second dog tax. Statue dog with hat.

r.y.f.s.o. fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 24, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you can't be gently caress you got mine when you aint got mine.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

American voters prove that statement incorrect by voting for fygm with the aspirations of having mine down the road.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

i am harry posted:

American voters prove that statement incorrect by voting for fygm with the aspirations of having mine down the road.

That turns out to be a bit of a myth.

People don't vote Republican because they're "temporarily embarrassed millionaires", they vote Republican because they're racist.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/12/15/16781222/trump-racism-economic-anxiety-study

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jaramin posted:

Most of gen Z is too young to really know where they'll land yet anyway. How many of us Millennials were lovely libertarians, or anti-gay marriage, etc. at some point in our rearing? I think for the most part, they'll come around if they don't already lean left. Sure, there are gonna be terrible ones, but I don't think there's going to be enough to replace the boomers.

Dumbass teenage libertarian checking in.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Teenage assclowns have always existed. Kids are surprisingly conservative. Any deviation from the norm is smothered out as quickly as possible, whether it be haircuts or your favorite band. I imagine it's marginally better now with the internet as a creative outlet, but that's going to cut both ways.

And some of these budding fascists will undoubtedly get worse as they stay in their echo chambers. Others will eventually get laid.

Here's the thing you need to remember about the new generation: the internet is no longer a separate environment. It is a seamless extension of everyday life and the same cliques, fads, and conformity pressure apply online and off. There is little haven to be had and more importantly there is no filter of shame preventing online poo poo from making its way into offline conversations.

Additionally there's a period of increased narcissism that naturally happens in your late teens and early twenties as you break out of that smothering middle and high school "conformity with the fad and clique is all that matters" environment but aren't secure enough in your own identity yet to be able to handle criticism or the idea that people aren't always thinking about you. It has always been there, social media and shifting social norms just makes it more visible.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

The cool part of American racism is that it always gives poor white people something to FYGM about!

Or as a poet said:

A South politician preaches to the poor white man
"You got more than the blacks, don't complain
You're better than them, you been born with white skin, " they explain
And the Negro's name
Is used, it is plain
For the politician's gain
As he rises to fame
And the poor white remains
On the caboose of the train
But it ain't him to blame
He's only a pawn in their game

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bottom Liner posted:

twitter is a good platform after all

i would absolutely watch rand paul’s drag race

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

i am harry posted:

That's it.

Well, that and the fulfillment of the thing we all need, group identity.

4 oz ineffectuality (real or imagined)
4 oz needs of a social animal
Dash of dehumanization of the blamed, to taste

Tbsb bitters

Muddle the truth, stir with tiki torch, serve steaming mad.

Nasty cocktail.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KickerOfMice posted:

Tbsb bitters

Nasty cocktail.

Now I wish I owned a bar, muddling the Bible as a base for a drink would get all the hipsters paying top dollar.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Make a world that would make your grandchildren angry that it regressed back to today’s level.

I'm having a kid in August and if we don't have full gay space communism by then, so help me!!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Most of those opinions and beliefs flourish in the absence of anything else. It's much easier to hang out with your own echo chamber in high school than when you get into college or the work force.

That's not to say it's cool and good that we have a bunch of new liddle fascists, but people are formed by experiences and right now none of these kids have experienced jack. Even less if they're middle-class White boys. We may be looking at a regression, but these kids are way ahead of high school Baby Boomers pouring drinks on protesters at lunch counter sit in's. We probably need a few years to know what's happening and whether we need another Vietnam. Fortunately we have just the President to make that happen.

It's amazing how the world self corrects.

I don't know if I agree with this... a lot of colleges, particularly the more privileged ones, constantly struggle with diversity issues. Stereotype threat for women in a lot of fields of study is still an issue. There are plenty of fields out there in which is it perfectly acceptable to low-key levels of racist, and people fired from a job with a competent human resources department blame their jobs, not themselves. I think it takes open-minded, devoted parents to teach empathy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Prester Jane posted:

The youngest generation is being successfully propagandized into being extremists but no worry guys we can just talk them all down. Also their beliefs don't line up completely with the beliefs of the older generation of extremists so there really is nothing to worry about.

The naivete in this thread about how pathological behavior spreads and evolves over time is one of the most depressing things sometimes.

On the other hand, your extreme alarmism leads to things like the panic of nonexistent mass right wing violence in November. Based on otherkin internet communities.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also academia is still chocked full of sexpests that just get the missing stair treatment because the people they abuse don't have the power to risk confronting them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KickerOfMice posted:

Tbsb bitters

Nasty cocktail.

Sounds awful. But I’ll drink one to own the libs

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also the group turning 18 are a lot less white than in the past, so I don’t think we have to worry about the group suddenly embracing the current form of the GOP.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That turns out to be a bit of a myth.

People don't vote Republican because they're "temporarily embarrassed millionaires", they vote Republican because they're racist.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/12/15/16781222/trump-racism-economic-anxiety-study

We need to change it from gently caress You, Got Mine to gently caress Me, Got You.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Trabisnikof posted:

Or as a poet Nobel Laureate said:

A South politician preaches to the poor white man
"You got more than the blacks, don't complain
You're better than them, you been born with white skin, " they explain
And the Negro's name
Is used, it is plain
For the politician's gain
As he rises to fame
And the poor white remains
On the caboose of the train
But it ain't him to blame
He's only a pawn in their game

Give Bobby D his proper respect

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

i am harry posted:

We need to change it from gently caress You, Got Mine to gently caress Me, Got You.

"gently caress you, don't have mine, but neither do you you loving friend of the family."

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Prester Jane posted:

Unfortunately Narrativism has now been weaponized into a form that appeals specifically to the minds of tweens and young teens. While Millenials are all lefties, Generation Z is turning out to be another matter entirely: https://twitter.com/MikeStuchbery_/status/942505043361697792

Narrativists like Mike Cernovich and PewDiePie are using gaming streams/Youtube to "Red Pill" (expose minds to Narrativism) the youngest generation and they are being successful.

Your bad social science is showing again. Most of Gen Z is just as liberal as millenials are because they are minority heavy- young white people are just like old white people: mostly racists and bigots.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Data Graham posted:

loving christ, it’s just a bar game? Not like some vexillology thing or 5000 year old grand heraldry tradition? Adding that to my goddamn list

They're basically expensive pogs for military nerds. It's one of the dumbest "traditions" in the US military and I'm seriously lmaoing to see people make a big deal about Trump's gaudy metal pog.

The people in the military who actually care about dumb traditions like this tend to be the biggest most conservative tools who are in for a career, so they'll just see it as a big strong coin made by big strong daddy Trump. Most of the people who aren't fond of their current CINC are cynics who don't give a poo poo about traditions and probably aren't going to stay in longer than their enlistment term or commitment.

That's a really big reason why the military skews conservative. The ones who drink the koolaid stay in and the ones who don't get out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

I'm having a kid in August and if we don't have full gay space communism by then, so help me!!

I don't know if I agree with this... a lot of colleges, particularly the more privileged ones, constantly struggle with diversity issues. Stereotype threat for women in a lot of fields of study is still an issue. There are plenty of fields out there in which is it perfectly acceptable to low-key levels of racist, and people fired from a job with a competent human resources department blame their jobs, not themselves. I think it takes open-minded, devoted parents to teach empathy.

It's tougher to ignore your bias in college. I'm not saying it's impossible, but unless you're attending Liberty University, you are going to be forced to interact with a wide variety of people. And if you don't go to college you'll enter the workforce which is the same difference. Isolating yourself gets progressively more difficult as you age. Then you get old enough to retire and watch Fox News all day and suddenly you're right back where you started.

What we are seeing is a weird side effect of social media where some people are becoming less tolerant, but the majority of generation Z is as progressive if not more so than previous ones. My oldest daughter is not colorblind like MLK dreamed she'd be, but that's not because she's racist. It's because she's made clear to us that she likes Black guys. So I guess that's progress.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Bottom Liner posted:

On the other hand, your extreme alarmism leads to things like the panic of nonexistent mass right wing violence in November. Based on otherkin internet communities.

Go gently caress yourself. We are right now experiencing a rise in terror attacks being perpetrated by the exact kinds of individuals (radicalized by online content) that I have been cautioning about :

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/942182618472288258

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/944771945077399552

I understand this poo poo because I have literally lived through it before. (And that is why I talk about my experiences in the Otherkin community) However when I was a radicalized Narrativist there were no political or corporate actors trying to manipulate me- as a result my crop of young radicals became Otherkin. At present the kinds of extremists who used to become obscure Otherkin cult leaders are now Alt-Right figureheads with hundreds of thousands of followers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzfRReJD9i8

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 24, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i went to a very left wing college when i was some sort of weird neocon/libertarian shithead and it didn't change me but working retail, the iraq quagmire, and the collapse of the global economy eradicated the blinders.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Peven Stan posted:

Your bad social science is showing again. Most of Gen Z is just as liberal as millenials are because they are minority heavy- young white people are just like old white people: mostly racists and bigots.

Young white people are not, statistically, as racist as the over 65 YT's (though they are bad, it's just not as bad).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I mean, a decade ago, it seemed like every young loud jackass was libertarian who completely missed the point of Bioshock

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, a decade ago, it seemed like every young loud jackass was libertarian who completely missed the point of Bioshock

If you completely missed the point of Bioshock you really are a moron. That game didn't have much of a light touch.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

uhh maybe they wanted to live in a lovely leaky rust bucket with a bunch of psychos?? ever think of that??

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

If you completely missed the point of Bioshock you really are a moron. That game didn't have much of a light touch.

Remember, many conservatives liked Colbert and thought he was mocking the libs.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

They did say 'young' and 'libertarian'.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Is there a cited definition of the word narrativist that is not from presters blog?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Children too young to vote don't actually have concrete political opinions yet. Political beliefs start gelling at around age 18. The data on post 18's doesn't show the kind of crisis you're talking about; it shows a small shift that's dwarfed by the larger movement.

You're aware of the fact that most of the posters in the early days of /pol/ were teenagers right

Hmm wonder where they ended up

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

mcmagic posted:

It had a really cool speech. So obviously..

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Phlegmatist posted:

You're aware of the fact that most of the posters in the early days of /pol/ were teenagers right

Hmm wonder where they ended up

most of the posters on /pol these days are russian bots so I'm not sure what your point is?

I'm talking statistics here not individuals. Radicalization is a problem but the statistics show that on average partisan loyalty sets in around 18.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/partisan-loyalty-begins-at-age-18/

y'all are having a really hard time with the difference between anecdote and data

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
There's a couple things about that counselor.txt post that need to be addressed before anyone takes it seriously:

1) Assuming it's true, what is number of kids observed acting like this compared to the size of the class? If it's a handful of kids in a 500 person class then who cares really. It's a couple of edgelords acting contrarian because they're teenagers. I'd be much more worried if it was like 25% of the class acting that way.

2) What is the location of this school? If it's somewhere that's already pretty conservative I wouldn't be as alarmed as if this were happening in a liberal, coastal city.

3) What are the credentials of this counselor? It's a bit suspicious that a counselor at a high school can't handle teenagers with lovely opinions and attitudes. I would think that's the meat and potatoes of their work.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Is there a cited definition of the word narrativist that is not from presters blog?
No because they made it up.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Prester Jane posted:

I understand this poo poo because I have literally lived through it before. (And that is why I talk about my experiences in the Otherkin community) However when I was a radicalized Narrativist there were no political or corporate actors trying to manipulate me- as a result my crop of young radicals became Otherkin. At present the kinds of extremists who used to become obscure Otherkin cult leaders are now Alt-Right figureheads with hundreds of thousands of followers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzfRReJD9i8

While you're correct, it's severity is not yet at the levels wherein we need to categorize them as a cult. In my opinion, I see it at a stage of Lone Wolf terrorism (which is, incidentally, a white supremacist idea), and it's a continuation of separatist domestic terrorism amplified by the Internet. And yes, the alt-right is responsible for its dogwhistles and parallel support and I consider them as guilty as the individuals who perpetrate the acts, and they should be treated as provocateurs complicit.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mcmagic posted:

I mean...

quote:

So I said okay, I had the floor, I was going to tell them about ancapism. And I tried to explain to them some Rothbard and Hoppe. I said the natural order in anarchy is that the best rise to the top, the market picks who is the best. They compete and are peaceful. They said what do we want instead of anarchy. I said we want private owners to own their own land and businesses, and to employ people. They said that is what we have now. I said no, it would be even better. One of the guys said it was like feudalism. And I said it is not feudalism.

Eventually one of the guys spoke up and I thought he was Greek, but he spoke English perfectly so he may have not been. He said he knew what anarcho-capitalism was and that we were basically fascists. He asked me if I thought everything should be private. And I said yes. And he asked me if I thought people were unequal. And I told him yes. And that not everyone would have equal rights. I said everyone has the right to own property and not be done aggression against. But that not everyone had to be treated equally by the owners. He said what about immigrants and racism. And I said that would not happen in a free market, but yes property owners could be racist if they wanted to. They had to respect property.

Then he called me a fascist again, and someone else said I was a fascist. And then they basically all started shouting fascist at me, and one of them grabbed me by the wrists. They pulled me out the door, it was up three floors, and basically drug me down the stairs on my back. It hurt really bad and I remember yelling "you're breaking the NAP" and things like that. "Stop initiating force against me." Then they kicked me around on the ground in the hallway, before they took my camera and threw me outside. I was crying and stuff, I just sat there. I was in shock because it was so sudden. Looking back there were warning signs though.

Yeah if is safe to reach the conclusion that these people are morons.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

y'all are having a really hard time with the difference between anecdote and data

lmfao you seem to be missing the entire problem here

Truly it is a great day for our society when only a small percentage of our children are becoming radicalized internet neo-Nazis

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

some dumbass posted:

He said what about immigrants and racism. And I said that would not happen in a free market, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Phlegmatist posted:

lmfao you seem to be missing the entire problem here

Truly it is a great day for our society when only a small percentage of our children are becoming radicalized internet neo-Nazis

Not an emptyquote.

• Locked thread