Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Yeah, the things besides Energy are neat. All the weird open-ended artifacts like Aetherflux Reservoir Ghirapur Orrery are interesting. Vehicles are a good take on the space equipment normally takes.

And before one of you skinny bitches spouts poo poo about Smuggler's Copter, that was a problem of removal being garbage - Abrade is a hell of a thing, you know - and one card being blatantly pushed, because no one's crying over Ixalan's vehicles.

So you're saying we should unban Copter.

Yes. Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It needs to be split second to keep them from using the energy on their stupid thopter guy.

The thing is this would just slot right into temur energy sideboard and be a card they race to find to screw the other guy.

It would have been better if solemnity was just a W mana.

Wouldn't stop it anyways, they wouldn't have priority until thopter man had a chance to fart out his buddy

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wouldn't stop it anyways, they wouldn't have priority until thopter man had a chance to fart out his buddy

Whirler Virtuoso's energy is an ETB trigger. :ssh:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Whirler Virtuoso's energy is an ETB trigger. :ssh:

So you put the ETB on the stack, cast your [split second?] energy-removing hoser, remove all their energy, then they... get the energy from the trigger...

Cosmic brain level move right there

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Maybe one thopter is better than 4?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

does anybody else asides from mark rosewater actually think kaladesh is one of his's best designs

The limited emviroment was extremely balanced between aggression and durdle. It's one of the rare sets where all the build-arounds actually work. Standard has never been good so I don't think that's a fair metric.

BJPaskoff posted:

Improvise hasn't backfired yet I suppose, good thing next set isn't full of easy ways to generate tons of artifacts for cheap though. :allears:

it's hilarious how deliberately nerfed improvise was compared to "arbitrarily large creature for two mana, what could possibly go wrong here?"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

does anybody else asides from mark rosewater actually think kaladesh is one of his's best designs

From a design perspective Kaladesh was fuckin incredible, and I totally see why he says what he does about the set. Its balance, not so much.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Shadow225 posted:

Maybe one thopter is better than 4?

So they hold priority and make 3 anyway in this imaginary world where they made that dumb card.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Energy is dumb.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Shortest Path posted:

From a design perspective Kaladesh was fuckin incredible, and I totally see why he says what he does about the set. Its balance, not so much.

Yeah it's worth remembering design and development are two different things and one of them has a good deal of influence over costing and poo poo that the other doesn't have

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i split a box of iconic masters with my good dude and he opened a pack with Mana drain and a foil Thoughtseize. I've already planned to buy a booster case of masters 25 which will probably net me 6 shivan dragons and a ton of other useless poo poo and set me back $800+

That being said I love magic and my favorite card is wee dragonauts because it's a funny card and a good common

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

suicidesteve posted:

So they hold priority and make 3 anyway in this imaginary world where they made that dumb card.

You can't hold priority when virtuoso goes on the stack forever. At some point the opponent gets it before the spell resolves.

Regardless it's a bad card that wouldn't save standard.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

stump collector posted:

That being said I love magic and my favorite card is wee dragonauts because it's a funny card and a good common

Checks out.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think probably having mana fixers that can put counters on creatures, help with removal, or create token creatures was maybe the straw that broke the camels back

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Print Goku, give him an ability that absorbs all energy

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

The design included a mechanic that seems like a nightmare to balance so I don't agree with this. Design and dev are separate but they're not completely isolated, there's not much dev can do with broken mechanics besides make every card they're on unplayable.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mark of the Commons posted:

Artifact
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
(Tap): Add a colorless mana.
Whenever a player would gain 2 or more energy, instead each player gains 1 energy.
"Among the lessers equality was quite appealing, if foreign."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Disgusting. Defiling a Tempest Mountain like that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Attorney at Funk posted:

Disgusting. Defiling a Tempest Mountain like that.

Sup fellow Tempest Mountain fan :hf:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

One less FoW for my opponents to be able to cast.

Edit: on another note I'm trying to figure out what to add to the collection next in modern. I think it might be goblin guides and another arid mesa to make burn. Right now my modern decks are this.

Grixis Deaths Shadow (can be jund or 5 color)
Jund
Soul Sisters (mono and norin and martyr proc)
Eldrazi Tron
Bant Eldrazi
Vizier Knightfall
Elves
Abzan Company
RW Prison Moon
8 Rack

The stuff I'm missing for the rest of the tier 1 decks are things in not interested in buying right now. Vials, another Karn, more mox opals, etc.

I'm not sure what to move into next. Any suggestions?

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 24, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Edit: on another note I'm trying to figure out what to add to the collection next in modern. I think it might be goblin guides and another arid mesa to make burn. Right now my modern decks are this.

Jund
Eldrazi Tron
Bant Eldrazi
Vizier Knightfall
Elves
Abzan Company
RW Prison Moon
8 Rack

The stuff I'm missing for the rest of the tier 1 decks are things in not interested in buying right now. Vials, another Karn, more mox opals, etc.

Any reason for wanting more decks? If you don't have burn then finish it off, but just play what you have man.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Jund
Eldrazi Tron
Bant Eldrazi
Vizier Knightfall
Elves
Abzan Company
RW Prison Moon
8 Rack

I have a similar selection of decks and I started moving into foiling my favorites rather than trying to get something new. Pretty much always at least one of those decks will be competitive.

So I moved into foiling Jeskai and Lantern and that's been a fun project

Edit: but if you need something, Jeskai and Lantern and good options

Walked fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 24, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

ShaneB posted:

Any reason for wanting more decks? If you don't have burn then finish it off, but just play what you have man.

I'm leaning towards finishing burn first and then finding something else. But I collect. So expanding the collection is half my reason for buying these dumb things.

Walked posted:

I have a similar selection of decks and I started moving into foiling my favorites rather than trying to get something new. Pretty much always at least one of those decks will be competitive.

So I moved into foiling Jeskai and Lantern and that's been a fun project

Edit: but if you need something, Jeskai and Lantern and good options

I thought about foiling but that's never been my thing. I'm not actually a fan of foil cards and usually trade them away for more non foils of what I need when I get them.

Jeskai is a good next after burn. I only need the geists and another few collonades. I should probably buy scapeshift as well but I'm waiting on a reprint to finish it out.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This is how you know you’re talking to a bullshitter:

They say “Modern is cheaper than Standard because you don’t have to buy more cards.” A statement which is only true if you don’t have a spending problem and everyone who owns a serious Modern deck has a spending problem.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

They say “Modern is cheaper than Standard because you don’t have to buy more cards.” A statement which is only true if you don’t have a spending problem and everyone who owns a serious Modern deck has a spending problem.

Whoops, tautology!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The layer of sarcasm is so thick that I can't tell what the difference between truth and irony are anymore.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

But either way you need 75 cards :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

suicidesteve posted:

But either way you need 75 cards :shrug:

Technically standard decks are a 2-for-1, since they're eligible in either format.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Happy Christmas Eve MTG goons.

My kid went shopping with her mom and I was surprised to learn we ended up getting each other the same gift: the latest duel deck set. :3:

Works out good... She can keep hers to play with her mother, I'll turn the ones she gave me into Commander decks.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 24, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Angry Grimace posted:

Also it depends on if you play standard consistently or occasionally and how much you trade for

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't care what's cheaper. I care that standard sucks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The trick is to just play commander, the Lord's own format

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I sold about $850 in cards this year and bought $1250 worth. :/ But now I have bgx. Cool...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

I sold about $850 in cards this year and bought $1250 worth. :/ But now I have bgx. Cool...

Yeah I really need to sell some poo poo but I often build decks by saying "I have half of these cards spread out across other decks already, I might as well just finish this deck" so I can't sell most staples without screwing my other lists.

At the same time if anyone wants to buy some Titan Shift pieces (minus the Scapeshifts) hmu :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

What is the cost of playing competitive standard for an entire year?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sickening posted:

What is the cost of playing competitive standard for an entire year?

Your self-worth.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

C-Euro posted:

At the same time if anyone wants to buy some Titan Shift pieces (minus the Scapeshifts) hmu :v:

My friend just buy blood moon and stormbreath dragons and build Ponza

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mtg community: wahhhhh lantern control
mtg community: yaaaay ponza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

mtg community: wahhhhh lantern control
mtg community: yaaaay ponza

I'd much rather lose quickly than be locked out of the game and slowly dying for 50 mins.