Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
When do we get the Mustang SUV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

EnergizerFellow posted:

Not enough for 90% of the population to really notice or care, especially relative to the convenience of a higher hip point.

Not to mention the ability to sit somewhat level with the other SUVs and modern pickup trucks you'll be commuting side-by-side with. Try parking an ordinary sedan from the 1990s or even the very early 2000s next to a modern SUV or truck.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Ecosport will also be the first Indian built vehicle sold in the US.

We do need more side swinging rear barn doors instead of boring hatches though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EnergizerFellow posted:

Expect the Flex, Taurus, and Explorer to all die at once once the new BOF Ranger/Bronco arrives as they are all based on the old Volvo-derived D3 platform (the Lincoln MKT has already been killed).

I don't think so, Tim. The Exploder is KILLING IT as a police car, and the Exploder based Aviator will probably take over from the MKT for livery use. It'll probably come factory has a 4 seater with 2 recliners in the back.

They've sold 242,565 Explorers in the US so far this year That's still outselling their most popular car, the fusion, by over 50k.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Powershift posted:

They're replacing the thing nobody bought with the thing people will probably buy.

For most people, the CUV version of the car has massive upside with almost no downside.

The fusion is probably dead in the US too.

What they should do is kill the Fusion and the Taurus and make a Mustang based 4 door. What they will do is kill the Fusion and replace the Taurus with a Chinese built Chinese spec Taurus.

Everything about this and the news that the focus is going to be built in China too is:

I will not buy a Chinese Ferd.

E: I mean FFS, like the stability of the fiesta(non ST) needed worsening, it's already banned from SCCA autox for being a rollover risk.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 24, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Powershift posted:

I don't think so, Tim. The Exploder is KILLING IT as a police car, and the Exploder based Aviator will probably take over from the MKT for livery use. It'll probably come factory has a 4 seater with 2 recliners in the back.

They've sold 242,565 Explorers in the US so far this year That's still outselling their most popular car, the fusion, by over 50k.

There's supposed to be a third model based on the Ranger platform. Could very well be the next Explorer.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Powershift posted:

The Explorer/Aviator twins will stick around as nameplates, yes, but expect their current D3 unibody forms to disappear in favor of the Global Ranger platform. I'll even bet money on it.

There's also a good chance we'll see the Chinese CD4-based Taurus though once the current Taurus inventory is gone and the Chinese model is refreshed.

Ford selling a CD4-based Edge/S-Max/Galaxy wagon branded as the 2-row Edge is a given in the US and there's some rumblings we'll see the 3-row Galaxy here as well. Any bets on the Edge/S-Max/Galaxy getting consolidated into a single CUV model with a 3rd row option?

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 24, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Q_res posted:

There's supposed to be a third model based on the Ranger platform. Could very well be the next Explorer.
Explorer is established as a 3 row big CUV, it won't go back to the Ranger platform. Ranger, Bronco, and some Lincoln model will likely be on the same platform.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Explorer is established as a 3 row big CUV, it won't go back to the Ranger platform. Ranger, Bronco, and some Lincoln model will likely be on the same platform.

The Global Ranger is more than big enough for Explorer. That and the Explorer literally was a Ranger wagon back in the day.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Even with the new Ecosport, Ford only has 5 SUVs now. BMW is working on number 7, and that's not even including the new 6 series which almost counts.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Let me put on my armchair strategists hat and tell you about why Ford should use the Mustang platform for a 4-door lift-back.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Let me put on my armchair strategists hat and tell you about why Ford should use the Mustang platform for a 4-door lift-back.

Wait and see how many dozen Stingers Kia sells.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

ilkhan posted:

Why wouldn't it? The Explorer is the last D3 model standing, and the replacement for D3 got shitcanned. Jeep and the Grand Cherokee show that you can be extremely successful selling a true SUV in the size range. A Lincoln version of the Bronco as a poor man's G-wagen could work, I'll admit I even like the idea. But they have to do something to replace the Explorer in the next few years.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Powershift posted:

Wait and see how many dozen Stingers Kia sells.

Audi seems to be doing OK selling the A5/S5 Sportback and A7/S7, plus there's the BMW 4-series Gran Coupe and Porsche Panamera. We'll also get to see how the 2018+ liftback versions of the Buick Regal are going to sell.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 24, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The Explorer is doing very well as a 3 row CUV, and using the ranger platform would result in a return to an SUV style vehicle. I don't think they need a 3-row SUV, the Bronco will do just fine filling the SUV niche as a 2 row.

What will underpin the next gen Explorer I don't know, I just don't think it'll be the Ranger platform. Not that I would complain if it did. The lack off off-road prowess is one of the things that pushed me to the F-150 over the Explorer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's still a small outside chance that the Bronco is a Wrangler competitor.

They also said in 2020 there will be a ground up EV CUV

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ilkhan posted:

The Explorer is doing very well as a 3 row CUV, and using the ranger platform would result in a return to an SUV style vehicle. I don't think they need a 3-row SUV, the Bronco will do just fine filling the SUV niche as a 2 row.

What will underpin the next gen Explorer I don't know, I just don't think it'll be the Ranger platform. Not that I would complain if it did. The lack off off-road prowess is one of the things that pushed me to the F-150 over the Explorer.

The Explorer could return to a stretched version of the Ranger platform, like how the current Durango is a stretched Grand Cherokee.

EnergizerFellow posted:

Audi seems to be doing OK selling the A5/S5 Sportback and A7/S7, plus there's the BMW 4-series Gran Coupe and Porsche Panamera. We'll also get to see how the 2018+ liftback versions of the Buick Regal are going to sell.

While those are all enthusiast sedans, they're all under luxury brands. In a shrinking sedan market, it's not unreasonable to doubt the success of an enthusiast sedan under a mainstream nameplate.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Godzilla07 posted:

While those are all enthusiast sedans, they're all under luxury brands. In a shrinking sedan market, it's not unreasonable to doubt the success of an enthusiast sedan under a mainstream nameplate.

I'd argue that in medium/long-term things will be CUV == old wagon/hatchback and liftback == old sedan with traditional sedan trunks as we know them today vanishing on anything smaller than an S-class, especially given how large something like the Civic is now. You already have things like the Volvo V60 which, while marketed as a wagon, is really more hatchback/liftback than wagon. Things like the Chevrolet Malibu and Mazda6 have had liftbacks already. You could even argue that the Chevrolet Malibu Maxx was way ahead of it's time.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KakerMix posted:

When do we get the Mustang SUV?

It was known as the Ford Territory

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

You Am I posted:

Huh, it doesn't look bad at all.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I really don't think they are going to convert the current Explorer plant to make a BOF Explorer. A BOF Explorer that has the same interior volume as the current one would be the size of an Expedition, the CAFE implications would be huge, supposing the president doesn't repeal CAFE or whatev...oh.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
A body on frame explorer wouldn’t ride as comfortably as the current one. I’d bet money it stays as a unibody.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

EnergizerFellow posted:

I'd argue that in medium/long-term things will be CUV == old wagon/hatchback and liftback == old sedan with traditional sedan trunks as we know them today vanishing on anything smaller than an S-class, especially given how large something like the Civic is now. You already have things like the Volvo V60 which, while marketed as a wagon, is really more hatchback/liftback than wagon. Things like the Chevrolet Malibu and Mazda6 have had liftbacks already. You could even argue that the Chevrolet Malibu Maxx was way ahead of it's time.

The V60 is very much a wagon. You are probably thinking of the V60 cross country which is lifted up

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The v90 is also around and god drat is it sexy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I had a v60 as a rental, and although I liked it, the interface design is complete poo poo. There's a separate button for EVERYTHING and you have to find it in that idiotic rectangle of shame they have where nothing is near anything else related to it.

gently caress, that poo poo was annoying.

Oh, and guess how to make the headrest go up. Go on, guess.

You cant. Or at least you're not supposed to. This was extremely uncomfortable for me so my work around was to half-remove it, which you do by crawling into the back seat and finding the hidden buttons behind the leather.

I had to YouTube that poo poo.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KillHour posted:

Wait, then what's that up arrow on the circle where the person-like figure's head is? Do hooks come down and pull your actual head up instead of the headrest?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

davebo posted:

Wait, then what's that up arrow on the circle where the person-like figure's head is? Do hooks come down and pull your actual head up instead of the headrest?

Guessing what we're looking at is HVAC controls and not seat adjustment controls. Pressing the head on that lil' guy means you get face air. Probably.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

You Am I posted:

KakerMix posted:

Huh, it doesn't look bad at all.

Which has since been replaced with this awkward looking thing based of the Ranger

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

dissss posted:

Which has since been replaced with this awkward looking thing based of the Ranger

It has the face of a creature that's run face-first into a glass door.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dissss posted:

:(

The lift and the 2? 3 extra inches of material in the height of that thing just throw the proportions off. At least make the wheels bigger or something to try to correct it!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
edit: nm

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

KillHour posted:

I had a v60 as a rental, and although I liked it, the interface design is complete poo poo. There's a separate button for EVERYTHING..."

Look how wrong you are. Buttons for everything is the right way to do interface design. Touch screens don't belong in cars.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Look how wrong you are. Buttons for everything is the right way to do interface design. Touch screens don't belong in cars.

While I agree with you, have you ever been inside a Porsche Cayenne? It's like the motherfucking Starship Enterprise.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KillHour posted:

I had a v60 as a rental, and although I liked it, the interface design is complete poo poo. There's a separate button for EVERYTHING and you have to find it in that idiotic rectangle of shame they have where nothing is near anything else related to it.

gently caress, that poo poo was annoying.

You cant. Or at least you're not supposed to. This was extremely uncomfortable for me so my work around was to half-remove it, which you do by crawling into the back seat and finding the hidden buttons behind the leather.

I had to YouTube that poo poo.

That headrest button is for disciplining unruly backseat passengers. They can fold their own headrests back up when the concussion they just received via the violently descending headrests finally recedes.

Also, that is the last-gen *60. The new car, which we haven’t seen other than the XC60, is going to be an SPA car.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

You Am I posted:

Thr biggest thing that let the territory (and the falcon in later years) down was the base spec taxi interior that spanned across all models. It always felt cheap and nasty and by the time it was retired felt like a 10 year old design, which in most ways it was.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yes but the buttons should be grouped based on function and not just to make a pretty design

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're not going to have a touch screen in your car, but still use on-screen controls for many of the functions of the car, you need to put a joystick in the center console instead of a knob on the passenger side next to the hvac controls.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Aargh posted:

Thr biggest thing that let the territory (and the falcon in later years) down was the base spec taxi interior that spanned across all models. It always felt cheap and nasty and by the time it was retired felt like a 10 year old design, which in most ways it was.

Yeah, but barra turbo, plus optional awd

I was watching barra turbo conversion vid last night. Top pick was the VP commodore (barradore), and the r32 skyline.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

is this a subtle reference to the carbon monoxide leaks that is affecting so many exploders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, but barra turbo, plus optional awd

I was watching barra turbo conversion vid last night. Top pick was the VP commodore (barradore), and the r32 skyline.

Pity the body/chassis rust was a standard feature (or at least it was until the facelift by which time the reputation was already trashed).

Also the turbo AWD was hilariously thirsty. I borrowed one to go skiing back in the day and saw well over 25l/100km over the course of the trip.