Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

premise that holding prisoners with no charge was immoral

He said Gitmo should closed but when did he say there would never be any POWs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
A random six year old was killed in Texas by police. Merry Christmas!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/six-year-old-shot-dead-accident-texas-kameron-prescott-a8127551.html

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

We will find out if Obama's faith in the public and our system is truly misplaced soon enough.

We will either make the nessisary changes, all leftward, or not. It's only possible right now. If those of you that see the nessesity of it, opt out of participation it won't happen. It's going to disappoint you, even if you do participate. But to put an ideal above what is and what is possible, will end up dissapointing you even more.

Three years. One more year of harm, two years of stagnation, then possibilty. One could spend the time circle jerking about purity. One could spend the time not mattering. But if one knows what is needed and how long one has. .. it's damnable cowardice to not be right now.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 25, 2017

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

He said Gitmo should closed but when did he say there would never be any POWs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8USRg3h4AdE

Here you go. Criticizing the suspension of habeus corpus

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i mean what were they supposed to do not open fire on a car thief in a crowded trailer park

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly, I agree about it being related to Obama's general feeling that you could rely on "smart/skilled" people (which generally happens to be defined as people with industry experience). I disagree with an interpretation that Obama was corrupt in the sense of actively trying to enrich (for example) the financial industry with an understanding that it wasn't good for the country. That being said, I think that sort of "having faith in other industry 'experts'" perspective is its own sort of corruption and probably describes most corruption on the Democratic side of the spectrum.

Regarding incrementalism, I feel like it's misleading to consider it some either/or thing where the options are "incrementalism" or violent revolution. Like, from my perspective (and probably many others on the left), something like single-payer or a dramatic tax increase on the wealthy IS incrementalism. The bad kind of incrementalism that is usually criticized is an attitude that any positive progress, no matter how small, is a good and acceptable outcome*. The issue with this viewpoint is that it ignores the opportunity cost. For every year various good things aren't accomplished, more people continue to suffer. It's for this reason that I believe this sort of "as long as things work out in the end" incrementalism is fundamentally a product of privilege. There should be a sense of urgency to achieve a more equitable society, because there's a steep cost for every year we continue to not have one.

* I think it's actually debatable whether the results of Democratic Party leadership will actually be considered positive in the long run. Their inaction on addressing various major issues could be considered a kind of harm through inaction.

My very generous interpretation of this is similar to the one GreyjoyBastard mentioned about appointing Geithner; I think that Obama simply listened to the recommendations of his staff and thought "I guess they know better than I do." (This isn't really a defense so much as a different interpretation of the way he was bad.)

I think the answer, in all honesty, was a pretty typical Democratic politician that didn't "ask too many questions" and generally went with the flow except for a couple instances (Iran, Cuba). In all honesty, he probably thought he was doing the right thing, and certainly, his advisers probably agreed with him. I think the Obama administration's failures were less than really about Obama but a particular political culture in DC. The big
difference was probably he was naturally a little more of dove than other Democrats (but obviously not a dove to his core).

quote:

(It seems a little weird IMO to combine both foreign policy and domestic economic/social policy under the header of "leftism." Like, both those things are important, but I don't think they're strictly related; someone could have ideology intended to create an equitable society while also being a hawk with terrible ideas about interventionism being helpful. Then again, I do think it makes sense to include social issues under "leftism", since they're just another type of inequality to address. I guess maybe you could draw a similar parallel to foreign policy?)

Granted, it does get a bit nuts if you are using left-wing social and economic policy (like LBJ) at home and napalming villages abroad. There is a sincerity gap there.

Also, war costs money and it is hard to have a domestic economic change with a bloated military budget.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Of course domestic and foreign policy are related. The problem isn't just war, but war (or coups) in favor of capital. The exact same impulses that led to wall Street being off the hook domestically led to the pressure to get rid of a vaguely left wing politician in Honduras or blocking the minimum wage increase in Haiti.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly, I agree about it being related to Obama's general feeling that you could rely on "smart/skilled" people (which generally happens to be defined as people with industry experience).

There are plenty of people with 20 years experience that can't hold a candle to people with 2 years experience - being extremely smart and motivated can in fact make up for decades of experience, at least in many ways. That's not to say that experience doesn't matter, but innate talent and drive comparatively matter so much more for in-demand tech companies.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
No one with two years experience in tech is anything but poo poo. Most two year experience folk that are good have been working for a decade, they have just been doing it for free. And even then they are usually woefully ignorant about important poo poo.

Luckily thats good enough since their job is mostly solving simple problems with plenty of time to do so and low consequences for failure. Also that bar is still too high for a great many tech hopefils to clear lmao.

For the hard problems in tech more experience than that tis absolutely required because you need not just your three to four years of foundational knowledge but also three to four years of specialized knowledge and skillls that arent easy to come by

And we are talking about politcal management, a field far more complex, with far more domain knowledge requirements, with far higher consequences for failure.

Of course its also got such poo poo people in it that even the poo poo rises to the top so lol at experience mattering most of the time.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

This kind of thing would literally bring down a government in another nation.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly, I agree about it being related to Obama's general feeling that you could rely on "smart/skilled" people (which generally happens to be defined as people with industry experience). I disagree with an interpretation that Obama was corrupt in the sense of actively trying to enrich (for example) the financial industry with an understanding that it wasn't good for the country. That being said, I think that sort of "having faith in other industry 'experts'" perspective is its own sort of corruption and probably describes most corruption on the Democratic side of the spectrum.

Obama actively worked to enrich the financial industry, because it probably would have collapsed if he didn't, and he believed that the financial industry both had a right to exist and was overall necessary to American life. Just like he actively worked to enrich the health insurance industry, because he believed that a private market-based insurance industry was good for Americans and shouldn't be pressured unnecessarily by government fiat.

With Obama, it wasn't really about corruption - he genuinely believed in capitalism, and thus believed that government's role was to protect and enrich private industry while at the same time pressuring it to limit its abuses. Just like the forty-three presidents before him.

The same goes for his foreign policy. His rhetoric and specific strategies were different from Bush's, but he did little to reshape the overall US foreign policy orthodoxy that bombing poor countries for no particular reason and funding random rebels all over unstable areas are both cool and good. I don't understand why people are so desperate to convince themselves that poor helpless innocent Obama was just being deceived and misled by all those evil advisers that he personally handpicked and also could have fired at any time.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah except in America the police are just doing their jobs and also a Patriotic Noble Service for the nation and any negative consequence of their actions is just a normal risk of their procedures and thus neither preventable nor worthy of discipline and if your child is murdered by them then you should just be happy that we live in a nation where property theft requires unaccountable deadly force. Merry Christmas!!!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I remember the time the Met blasted a random Brazilian for no reason and how it caused the Second English Civil War.

Also when everyone found out the police had been abetting child rape for 30 years and it caused the Third English Civil War.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Main Paineframe posted:

With Obama, it wasn't really about corruption - he genuinely believed in capitalism, and thus believed that government's role was to protect and enrich private industry while at the same time pressuring it to limit its abuses. Just like the forty-three presidents before him.
To be clear, a genuine belief in capitalism is corruption. Like other Presidents genuinely believing the best way to govern is to only allow white land owning men to vote were corrupt regardless of how genuine they were.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

That doesn't make any sense. Corrupt isn't just a synonym for bad, it means something specific.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The Kingfish posted:

That doesn't make any sense. Corrupt isn't just a synonym for bad, it means something specific.

I am genuinely interested in what you define as corrupt. Unsurprisingly it is actually a word with a great many wildly different and equally valid definitions

The basic definition though is unethical behavour by a person in a position of power so it actually is pretty close to a synonym of morally bad.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 25, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Corruption as defined by MW:

dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery. "the journalist who wants to expose corruption in high places"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

I am genuinely interested in what you define as corrupt. Unsurprisingly it is actually a word with a great many wildly different and equally valid definitions

The basic definition though is unethical behavour by a person in a position of power so it actually is pretty close to a synonym of morally bad.

Pretty much any ethical or moral calculus would include an element of intent, so a capitalist who sincerely believed that a capitalist system could be regulated for the general good would not necessarily be corrupt.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Pretty much any ethical or moral calculus would include an element of intent, so a capitalist who sincerely believed that a capitalist system could be regulated for the general good would not necessarily be corrupt.
The example I brought up seems relevant. Are white supremacists who legitimately believe society would be better off run exclusively by and for white people not behaving in a corrupt fashion?
edit:
Because I'm willing to say that capitalists and white supremacists are basically the same sort of bad. If that bad isn't "corruption" then fine, but it seems to fit to me.

twodot fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 25, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
No. Words have meaning, expand your loving lexicon.

White supremacists in charge who alter, skirt, or flaunt the established rules unfairly to favor their interests over others would be corrupt.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
E^^^ What he said.

GlyphGryph posted:

The definition of corruption virtually always includes not just illegal or immoral behavior, but some sort of quid-pro-quo for personal benefit. It's much more specific than "behaving badly while in office."

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

E^^^ What he said.

The definition of corruption virtually always includes not just illegal or immoral behavior, but some sort of quid-pro-quo for personal benefit.
Yes, any rich person that materially supports capitalism is both engaging in an immoral behavior (theft of value from laborers) and is engaging in a quid-pro-quo for personal benefit (accumulation of capital). Perhaps a poor person can support capitalism in a non-corrupt fashion, but we were talking about Obama.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Boon posted:

No. Words have meaning, expand your loving lexicon.

White supremacists in charge who alter, skirt, or flaunt the established rules unfairly to favor their interests over others would be corrupt.

Likewise, a leftist government with a strong anti-racist agenda would be corrupt if its members were susceptible to bribery.

E: ^that's not what "quid pro quo" means.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 25, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

twodot posted:

Yes, any rich person that materially supports capitalism is both engaging in an immoral behavior (theft of value from laborers) and is engaging in a quid-pro-quo for personal benefit (accumulation of capital). Perhaps a poor person can support capitalism in a non-corrupt fashion, but we were talking about Obama.
If you define "corruption" as supporting any policy which is better for the office holder than your preferred policy outcome, for any reason, you have redefined the word beyond usefulness. "Capitalism" as an idea isn't personally giving a consideration to Barack Obama for believing in it. If a Congressman doesn't support a 99% tax on Congressmen, that isn't using their office for personal benefit, even though they have more money than they would if they were taxed into poverty.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

Likewise, a leftist government with a strong anti-racist agenda would be corrupt if its members were susceptible to bribery.

E: ^that's not what "quid pro quo" means.
Bribery is one form of corruption. Supporting and entrenching a form of society systemically structured to advantage you, your family, and your friends at the expense of others is another. The fact that rich people have organized into a cohesive class that doesn't require explicit promises between individuals doesn't change the fact that supporting the capitalist class is an action that grants access to wealth and power.
edit:

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Capitalism" as an idea isn't personally giving a consideration to Barack Obama for believing in it.
And yet Obama, mysteriously, ended up with a 60 million dollar book deal, 400k speeches, and vacations on a literal private island with billionaires. Surely just a coincidence.

twodot fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 25, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
"Senator, do you support eating the rich, guillotining our rulers, and killing our parents?"
"No."
"Corruption! You perpetuate the status quo out of a desire to personally maintain your privilege of remaining un-eaten and un-guillotined! The only non-corrupt course available to you is to pledge your fealty to the DSA now!"

If you remove the element of quid-pro-quo, you're left splitting hairs about the definition of "advantage." If the Idaho potato farmers elect a potato farmer to Congress so that he will act in the interests of his fellow potato farmers, that's democracy, not corruption. If Congressman Potato places the interests of potato farmers above the welfare of the country to an unreasonable degree, that's bad, but not corruption. If Congressman Potato votes for a specific bill because his friends back home have promised to pay him above market prices for his potatoes, that's corruption. Same if Congressman Potato votes for a bill that enriches him personally to a far greater degree than other potato farmers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You can tell we're at a midpoint between elections

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is a boiled, bone-in rib a sandwich?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

twodot posted:

Bribery is one form of corruption. Supporting and entrenching a form of society systemically structured to advantage you, your family, and your friends at the expense of others is another. The fact that rich people have organized into a cohesive class that doesn't require explicit promises between individuals doesn't change the fact that supporting the capitalist class is an action that grants access to wealth and power.
edit:

And yet Obama, mysteriously, ended up with a 60 million dollar book deal, 400k speeches, and vacations on a literal private island with billionaires. Surely just a coincidence.

Getting paid is not inherently corrupt. You are stretching the definition of a word as far as possible instead of finding a more appropriate word for what you are describing. This is what idiots do. Don't be an idiot.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

You can tell we're at a midpoint between elections

There's actual poo poo happening in the world of US Politics but since re litigating the primaries is verboten, the new tactic is re litigating the Obama presidency because there's nothing more Internet leftist than Monday morning quarterbacking.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

There's actual poo poo happening in the world of US Politics but since re litigating the primaries is verboten, the new tactic is re litigating the Obama presidency because there's nothing more Internet leftist than Monday morning quarterbacking.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
as far as occupiers of the imperial blood throne go Obama was pretty good but the throne still needs to be smashed

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They've got to masterbate hard enough to keep the centrists out.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
It's not the same kind of corruption as in the saying about "power corrupting", is it? Because I always thought that was a stupid quote.
More sensible was "Power doesn't corrupt. It reveals.". Speak and act one way while campaigning and act according to your true belief in capitalism while in power.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Belief in a system and acting within that system is not corruption. It can be naive, stupid or even harmful but it is not corruption. Use your words.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BrandorKP posted:

They've got to masterbate hard enough to keep the centrists out.

I got a doxy for Christmas and plan to outdo the JO Bro lefties in short order

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

It's not the same kind of corruption as in the saying about "power corrupting", is it? Because I always thought that was a stupid quote.
More sensible was "Power doesn't corrupt. It reveals.". Speak and act one way while campaigning and act according to your true belief in capitalism while in power.
That's also stupid as gently caress, because politics inherently involves compromise, and it should be wholly unsurprising to any functioning adult that the goals people espouse while campaigning for office may be far more difficult to achieve once they confront the reality of government, where other people get a say.

Fluffdaddy posted:

You are stretching the definition of a word as far as possible instead of finding a more appropriate word for what you are describing. This is what idiots do. Don't be an idiot.
Nah, it's more "People generally agree that corruption is bad, so if I redefine behavior I don't like as corruption, I can completely short cut having to argue about anything on its merits and just bludgeon people with that word, insisting that anyone who disagrees with me is enabling corruption!"

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Nah, it's more "People generally agree that corruption is bad, so if I redefine behavior I don't like as corruption, I can completely short cut having to argue about anything on its merits and just bludgeon people with that word, insisting that anyone who disagrees with me is enabling corruption!"

This is a pretty popular tactic of the right wing in this country too. Hmm.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It is the ultimate expression of privilege to think that the way the US treats non citizens is some minor detail, because you can only do that if you know that you are not the one getting deported, you are not the one getting gang raped by Honduran security forces, you are not the one being sold into slavery in Libya, you are not the one getting starved to death in Yemen, it's not your kid getting droned in Afghanistan... Stuff that plenty of people have been pointing out for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fluffdaddy posted:

Belief in a system and acting within that system is not corruption. It can be naive, stupid or even harmful but it is not corruption. Use your words.

I don't know, allowing and expanding the systematic exploitation of the people you were elected to represent, in exchange for later monetary compensation, definitely seems to qualify. ie. Ajit Pai neglecting his responsibilities in exchange for $$$ later.

Would Obama be receiving tens of millions of dollars now, if he had held Wall Street accountable?

• Locked thread