Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

At times I was pretty sure Rocky was written to make the MMPR red ranger costume lose cool points, as part of the whole idea of building the show around Tommy for a couple years.

I figure it was three things happening in parallel: kids being totally into Tommy, writers knowing that Tommy was popular, and JDF being egotistical enough to ask that all the cool stuff be Tommy-centric.

I don't think it was ever confirmed, but that last one is why JDF and ASJ couldn't stand each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kimberly-Rita is basically the moment where you realize Amy Jo Johnson was the only one serious there about being an actress and she does an amazing job. It's one of my favourite moments of the original series, she gets everything right, from the tone of voice, to her movement.

Look at this blatant disrespect for Walter Jones.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

Walter Emanuel Jones (born November 30, 1970) is an American actor,[1] martial artist, and dancer, known for playing the role of Zack Taylor, the Black Ranger on the hit television series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.[2]

He also appeared in successful television shows including Family Matters, Step by Step, Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, Moesha, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Early Edition, NYPD Blue, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Off Centre and The Shield.

He played in movies including Backyard Dogs (2000), House of the Dead 2 (2005), The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) and recently in Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (2016).

He gave his voice talent to movies as Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007), Primeval (2007), Post Grad (2009), Warrior (2011), Chronicle (2012) and animated movies including Open Season 2 (2008) and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (2013).
:eyepop:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
He was also a voice for a Lost Galaxy monster, so at some point or another everybody came back except for the person who died early.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I was a really big Jason fan when the show started, and I remember dropping that and becoming a hardcore Tommy boy at some point? And watching through the early seasons again it's pretty clear how as soon as green joins the crew it's all about JDF.

Even when ASJ comes back in Gold, you'd think the sixth ranger would be getting some heavy focus but the entire thing still feels like the JDF show.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There's a reason they were going to give JDF his own show, dude was the poo poo to 8yo boys everywhere.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

Even when ASJ comes back in Gold, you'd think the sixth ranger would be getting some heavy focus but the entire thing still feels like the JDF show.

poo poo, they even had an episode where Jason and Tommy have a little pow-wow over leadership, and how Jason is totally ok with not being the leader again now that he's got a Gold suit.

It's the weirdest thing. Tommy was at his most popular as a White Ranger, and there was a lot of stuff done to sell that he's the leader (including a line about Zordon appointing him as the leader, a line a smiling Jason was clearly not originally reacting to during filming), but they almost managed to make a cohesive throughline out of it: Jason was relieved that he didn't have to be the leader of the Power Rangers anymore. Not only had he failed to get the green candle back and was still dealing with that, there was an episode a few before White Light where Jason had a rather serious crisis of leadership. Having his friend back, with powers, and not having to be the leader anymore, felt like a win-win for Jason.

Entirely likely that it's unintentional, but I still dug it.

e: tangentially related, I loved the they-are-looking-for-Serpentera reveal in Forever Red, just because there's this beat where Jason and Tommy look at each other with a "yeah, we're in the poo poo on this one" look. For everyone else, it's an abstract goal. For them, who actually witnessed Serpentera, it was an existential threat.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 24, 2017

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Burkion posted:

Make no mistake, David Yost was hired for his physical stuff too.

Dude was built like an ox under those nerd clothes
Even as a kid it we thought Billy got "less wimpy", looking at it now it's pretty clear that under those outfits he is jacked.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Burkion posted:

Look

Here's something I discovered about Rocky.

Like, Adam is remembered as The Quiet One who didn't do a whole lot

But Rocky wasn't even that. His greatest moment was when he got turned into a wall. Dude is just a brick in the shape of a person.

I'm not shocked at all that Adam was next in line to be leader

Rocky didn't get a personality until Zeo when he became the sarcastic one, but by then it was too little too late.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dreaming of a white Christmas? Dream no more!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Zedd posted:

Even as a kid it we thought Billy got "less wimpy", looking at it now it's pretty clear that under those outfits he is jacked.

After a certain point he stopped dressing like a dumpy nerd and more like a SoCal beach bro. Showing off his sweet guns every chance he got.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Johnny Yung Bosch was the English dub voice of Vash the Stampede.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MillennialVulcan posted:

Johnny Yung Bosch was the English dub voice of Vash the Stampede.
Dude's actually got a hell of a resume when it comes to anime dub stuff. He was the protag and Adachi in Persona 4, too.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

He also did the mocap for Nero in Devil May Cry 4.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
He's also in a movie with darth maul where he plays a ninja who wants to eat pancakes

Also a slasher ghost flick along with a yellow ranger which is great because they're horror flick victims who just bust out power ranger moves out of nowhere

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Was Tommy really only gone for like, five episodes? I remember Tommy coming back being a huge loving deal when I was a kid. Like, I got up from the TV and ran around the house screaming and started telling my parents about it (they obviously didn't care)

Was there like, a season break or something? I can't imagine it being only a few weeks between him leaving and coming back

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I checked the release dates, looks like it was 3 weeks.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Don't be silly, he was only gone for three episodes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: nvm not the question that was asked, derp.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

JT Smiley posted:

Rocky didn't get a personality until Zeo when he became the sarcastic one, but by then it was too little too late.

After that Twitch marathon, I honestly think they were writing Rocky as a complete loser in Zeo (the dude didn't even have a character in the prior series, and neither did anyone else really).

But hey, he was definitely a lovable loser, especially compared to what Blue Ranger succeeded him.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

MillennialVulcan posted:

I checked the release dates, looks like it was 3 weeks.

Man it felt like forever as a kid between him leaving and them doing the build up to the white ranger.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Three weeks is a long-rear end time for a child. I felt it far longer too but that's a child's time for you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It felt like the "IT'S COMING" previews for Zeo lasted half a year.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked Rocky when he figured out how to turn people back from being footballs (turn them backwards and upside down) because his uncle has dyslexia

Teenagers With Attitude has a great running gag where whenever they play an audio clip of the show if Rocky has a line they replace it with him saying "This is my dog, Buster!"

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 25, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MisterBibs posted:

Jason was relieved that he didn't have to be the leader of the Power Rangers anymore. Not only had he failed to get the green candle back and was still dealing with that, there was an episode a few before White Light where Jason had a rather serious crisis of leadership.

Jason’s angst over losing in The Green Candle is actually remembered three years later when Tommy is abducted in Zeo.

“I let him down once before, I’m not gonna do it again!”

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

Jason’s angst over losing in The Green Candle is actually remembered three years later when Tommy is abducted in Zeo.

“I let him down once before, I’m not gonna do it again!”

King for a Day is such a good goddamn thing.

It's seriously one of my favorite storylines in all of Power Rangers

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Honestly I think King for a Day is a better Bulk and Skull moment than Countdown to Destruction

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Honestly I think King for a Day is a better Bulk and Skull moment than Countdown to Destruction

Let's not say things we'll all regret. It's the Bulk and Skull moment in Countdown To Destruction, man. A civilian revolt against the big bad by a two dudes who started the show sexually harassing two of our heroes.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 25, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

King for a Day is such a good goddamn thing.

Kind of? It wouldn't be a proper Jason reunion if Tommy didn't want to fight him at some point, but the amount of weird contrivances and nonsense sort of, to use a wrestling term, "overbooks" it. Like apparently Tommy has never seen a mirror or noticed he's in a helmet. And the monster that "steals his power" or whatever is a loving chump and it feels like there's a huge amount of potential plot wasted because his spear has the Gold Ranger's helmet insignia on it and I'm curious to know what that monster's actual purpose was supposed to be.

The Dairanger episode with the keyhole monster that Zedd forgot, and the Ohranger episode with that gladiator dude are like my two "I have been wondering what the deal is since I was young and now I can find out and I'm not sure I want to know" mysteries.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 25, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's another monster Zedd creates and forgets in Season 3 that completely kicks the teams rear end in American footage. They run away.

Then the monster is completely forgotten and never fought again. It appears again briefly celebrating in Ernie's bar several episodes later with Master Vile.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Rewatching KfaD (because why not), and I'm not entirely sure which I like more: Zedd and Rita being out-of-work bad guys who have to help the Power Rangers to screw over other bad guys, or Tommy being saved from brainwashing by a pretty blonde girl in a cute dress.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Craptacular! posted:

And the monster that "steals his power" or whatever is a loving chump and it feels like there's a huge amount of potential plot wasted because his spear has the Gold Ranger's helmet insignia on it and I'm curious to know what that monster's actual purpose was supposed to be.

I looked it up for you. He was an evil robot built to make the Ohrangers think King Ranger had been turned into an evil robot. There's more than a few Oh kanji in his design, it turns out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Omg. I'm watching the Turbo movie for the first time. The grunts on the ship have face paint and aren't in full masks. Wtf? Also nice stock jungle footage and RIP Rocky.

Edit 1: Oh hey, Kimberly and Jason. Divatox is still as good as I remember though.

Edit 2: Oh boy, "They are powered with Turbo Technology"

Edit 3: Ayesha's reaction to Justin being the new ranger is the same as mine.

Edit 4: Let me just knock off this clearly bolted on cover with a few weak hits with a pipe.

Edit 5: The Evil Jason and Kim bit is amusing. Kim gets to be evil again and does a drat creepy good job of it and Jason basically goes "gently caress YOU, I WAS THE RED RANGER, I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE MOST POPULAR ONE"

Edit 6: They break out their unique weapons (I know why they don't break out the side arms) and they shoot the big bad with it except why are you shooting him with a sword? At least Malfegor's head animatronics are pretty good for PR.

Edit 7: That's a legit impressive shot for shot remake of the combination sequence from Carranger. The extra detailing on the Zord parts is really good.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 26, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If I remember correctly, the original plan was that the Turbo powers were Zeo Crystal derived, built by Billy. Turns out, the whole "Let's let all the crew call David Yost a human being all the time" thing prevented that thing from happening.

There's supposedly like an hour or deleted stuff from that movie, including the Zeo powers/Zords getting wrecked.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 26, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still hate that Saban's official line is that it was a wage dispute. Not that there weren't wage disputes, it's just kinda really lovely to not even PR-talk admit that they were in the wrong.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is there even a reason for that? Surely the vast majority of people responsible wouldn't even work for the modern Saban Brands anyway?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz-L posted:

Is there even a reason for that?
Saban said his riches were due to 'retards in spandex' so it's not like there's a reason for them to give half a poo poo.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

PMush Perfect posted:

I still hate that Saban's official line is that it was a wage dispute. Not that there weren't wage disputes, it's just kinda really lovely to not even PR-talk admit that they were in the wrong.

And the thing about Saban is that even the legit wage disputes still put them in an extraordinarily lovely light (hell, the entire Peace Conference/backstage wage issue is because Saban was almost criminally underpaying the actors and I remember reading they even hosed them out of royalties).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well yeah, and when you see they’re selling Legacy re-issue Of those lovely flip head figures in 2017 you can see how much additional money Saban has saved by not sharing royalty revenue to Austin St John and the others for their (sometimes more vague than others) likeness.

Fandom in the day, not aware of the homophobia, had been making fun of David Yost’s visible aging for a couple seasons; and I think the story that Billy turns into an old man was interpreted as shots fired to a fandom that was already calling him “the world’s oldest teenager” for months. It was time to move on, it’s just unfortunate how it actually happened.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

I heard Saban himself apologized for it at some point during the time the (new) movie came out?