Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Holy poo poo, just got back and wow, forget whether it's Star Wars enough, that was just incompetently made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The biggest problem Star Wars has is darth Vader is dead. 1 thru 6 are about darth Vader. There's an arc of innocence to cruelty to redemption beyond which, what the hell even is Star Wars? That said the Disney films are as good as I could imagine them being.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

McCloud posted:

You have this weird axe to grind against Lucas

It’s not that weird. He took the movies I loved and made it impossible to buy legally in the best current quality. That is kind of stupid and no contest argument is gonna get me on his side ever.

That being said, I appreciate when he collaborated with others on the OT.

Serf
May 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not that weird. He took the movies I loved and made it impossible to buy legally in the best current quality. That is kind of stupid and no contest argument is gonna get me on his side ever.

That being said, I appreciate when he collaborated with others on the OT.

you can purchase the star wars movies on blu-ray tho. i have copies right here actually

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Serf posted:

you can purchase the star wars movies on blu-ray tho. i have copies right here actually

He probably means the unedited theatrical versions of the originals.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
1. TLJ
2. Rogue One
3. TPM
4. RoS
5. AoC
6. ESB
7. ANH
8. ROTJ

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

They made cover sheets for the despecialized edition so you can print it yourself and put it in a dvd case, lol.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 25, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t want that. I want to watch and stream it without any work whatsoever.

I hate having to try and sync my iMac to my garbage Apple TV to play my stolen Star Wars movies

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah it’s called Plex lol

And it’s free

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

All you gotta do is wait for George Lucas to die(in a peaceful non hateful way) along with Disney wanting a payday and all of the non special star wars OT will be re-released.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 25, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

All you gotta do is wait for George Lucas to die(in a peaceful non hateful way) and Disney wants a payday and all of the non special star wars OT will be re-released.

Cool, can’t wait.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Through extensive research I have determined the best time to take a bathroom break is Rose and Finn's escape from Snoke's ship until The Resistance sets up their defenses on Crait.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

hiddenriverninja posted:

Through extensive research I have determined the best time to take a bathroom break is Rose and Finn's escape from Snoke's ship until The Resistance sets up their defenses on Crait.

I took a bathroom breakright when Benicio del Toro made Rose give him the amulet, and got back to Holdo chewing out Poe don't think I really missed anything

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the scene where DJ talked about the arms dealers made it pretty clear why no-one cared about the Resistance - to most of the galaxy they are just an armed group that buys weapons from the assholes who oppress everyone, much like the First Order. Doing poo poo like what Finn and Rose did is what they need to do to win the hearts and minds of the common people and create a true rebellion, just as much as they need to do flashy heroics with the force.

I like that a lot. I think you are on to something there.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Physically leave the cinema every time Luke, Kylo Ren, or Rey isn't involved in a scene.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

In It For The Tank posted:

Physically leave the cinema every time Luke, Kylo Ren, or Rey isn't involved in a scene.

yeah, Finn's entire storyline is pointless.

edit: ok, pointless wasn't the right word. Boring I guess.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 25, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Finns story directly affects the ending and whole point of the film. Jesus goddamn loving Christ

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I think the scene where DJ talked about the arms dealers made it pretty clear why no-one cared about the Resistance - to most of the galaxy they are just an armed group that buys weapons from the assholes who oppress everyone, much like the First Order. Doing poo poo like what Finn and Rose did is what they need to do to win the hearts and minds of the common people and create a true rebellion, just as much as they need to do flashy heroics with the force.

I thought that really tied into the moment when the remainder of the Resistance calls for help from the mining planet--and no one responded.

"The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power."

...and Kylo and Rey are alike in that using the force is a passionate affair for both of them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tenzarin posted:

They made cover sheets for the despecialized edition so you can print it yourself and put it in a dvd case, lol.

CelticPredator posted:

I hate having to try and sync my iMac to my garbage Apple TV to play my stolen Star Wars movies

The individually packaged Special Edition DVDs from 2006 and the 2008 box set of them include the 1993 Laserdisc edits along with the 2004 DVD versions. They’re not as clean as the 2004 “main” versions with all the disliked changes but they’re generally considered to be the most accessible version of the theatrical cuts out there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes I know.

That isn’t a Blu Ray version.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I remember being in a Hollywood video with my dad when the unaltered OT VHS was out for Christmas, it said all over the packaging it was the last time you'd be able to buy the original movies. I tried to talk my dad into buying it but he took it as a marketing ploy, which, fair, it sounded like BS. THANKS A LOT DAD

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

there are very fine people on both sides, on both sides

this movie literally gets worse by the hour

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CelticPredator posted:

Yes I know.

I agree. :smith:

Maybe Disney will make a set of official Despecialized Editions in the next 15-20 years that you’ll be able to exclusively see on their streaming service.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Finns story directly affects the ending and whole point of the film. Jesus goddamn loving Christ

Saying it won't make it so.

Wait which ending are we talking about?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Final minute of the film.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If only Finn had spent the entire runtime vandalizing various wealthy districts of cities, perhaps even more child slaves would have come to the aid of the good guys.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Seriously can't believe people are going back to see this again.

echronorian posted:

The biggest problem Star Wars has is darth Vader is dead. 1 thru 6 are about darth Vader. There's an arc of innocence to cruelty to redemption beyond which, what the hell even is Star Wars? That said the Disney films are as good as I could imagine them being.

Vader is just as available as Yoda, they just decided not to include him in this movie. I wonder if Hayden would take the part.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t believe people dislike this film

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CelticPredator posted:

There's some fascinating insight here about how you hate George Lucas and downplay his role in Star Wars but also carry a printer for the worst SW film since Clones.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah like good movies by Rian Johnson. Instead of Garbo by George.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Yes I know.

Okay at what point does that stop being an obligation, though. Is it a creator's duty to keep their work in print?

Like, yes, it would be a very good thing to have Blu Rays/UHD/ever onward scans of the original versions of the OT just for historical reference. It would be nice if that happened. But the idea of the film as fixed object that has to be maintained in a very specific state AND in the best possible shape is not really something that existed in 1977. FFS it's a miracle we have a full version of Lawrence of Arabia.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No one would argue against this with any other film. Only Star Wars

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

No one would argue against this with any other film. Only Star Wars

We will never see the opening night version of 2001: A Space Odyssey- after the premiere Kubrick cut some 20 minutes out of it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arglebargle III posted:

If only Finn had spent the entire runtime vandalizing various wealthy districts of cities, perhaps even more child slaves would have come to the aid of the good guys.

That's sincerely what I got out of the film. The whole conflict with the First Order isn't actually helping anyone aside from the rare occasions Finn pulls a Binks and accidentally does something useful.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

There's some fascinating insight here about how you hate George Lucas and downplay his role in Star Wars but also carry a printer for the worst SW film since Clones.

Weird statement considering Clones is the best Start Wars.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maxwell Lord posted:

We will never see the opening night version of 2001: A Space Odyssey- after the premiere Kubrick cut some 20 minutes out of it.

If it has a CGI monster in Tatooine, i don’t want it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

That's sincerely what I got out of the film. The whole conflict with the First Order isn't actually helping anyone aside from the rare occasions Finn pulls a Binks and accidentally does something useful.

The politics of the movie are bizarre, I agree. The Force Awakens showed us an unprovoked attack on the Republic that apparently succeeded in first-striking their fleet, and in The Last Jedi nobody apart from our heroes seems bothered by that at all. There's even a little speech about how Both Sides Are Bad. The message I took away was that cartoon fascism is impossible strong and good people don't give a poo poo, also it's important to shut up and listen to liberal leaders who have A Plan that turns out to be terrible. Better hope a hero from the 70s has been hanging out doing nothing for a decade because he's the only way out of this mess. It's garbled.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So tonight I was thinking to myself: why do the First Order’s Walkers have those huge front legs that look like they broke an ankle or are trying to imitate a gorilla using his hands as legs? What’s going on there and why did they make them look so weird.

I’m sure it’s answered in an art book or a visual encyclopedia, but I realized that’s probably the fix to keep idiot flyboys from trying the legs up with tow cable.

I mean, I sure hope so, because according to every Star Wars video game that dumbass circle-the-walker poo poo that was infuriating with early 3D cameras was the only way to beat those things. Seeing AT-ATs fought without tow cables was a highlight of Rogue One for me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In Shadows of the Empire the tow cable is best but you can also just shoot them in the head for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

In Shadows of the Empire the tow cable is best but you can also just shoot them in the head for a while

In the Empire Strikes Back game for Atari 2600, attacks on the walkers' legs did nothing; you just had to shoot their bodies like fifty times each.

Here, play it yourself: http://www.virtualatari.org/soft.php?soft=Star_Wars_Empire_Strikes_Back