Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Visidan posted:

the research I've read and interviews I've taken part in doesn't point to millennials and z being extra racist or conservative than earlier generations. there is some worrying things like where they get their news from (facebook/youtube) and that both sides are the same when it comes to politics, the spectre of ~centrism~ looms heavily

Gen Z is entering into a weird media landscape where Buzzfeed has actual good investigative journalists and Forbes lets loving anybody write :thunk:pieces for them.

High school US govt. classes should probably have a spotting fake news unit in them now imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

As cumshitter has already said, he claims to be a heaven's gate offshoot/schism member.

If he was gimmicking, he chose the lamest fuckin way to bow out.

back in the early 2010s era D&D, McDowell's gimmick was posting adam curtis documentary links constantly and also like poo poo from videodrome and (i think) garbled postmodernist quotes. i remember him finding and posting that heaven's gate video w/ the goofy bald guy one day and having a laugh. the cult poo poo's definitely just a new gimmick

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

The Phlegmatist posted:

Gen Z is entering into a weird media landscape where Buzzfeed has actual good investigative journalists and Forbes lets loving anybody write :thunk:pieces for them.

High school US govt. classes should probably have a spotting fake news unit in them now imo

even tho i say getting news from facebook and youtube is worrying, in some countries it's probably superior.

for example Australia where almost the entire media is Murdoch and buzzfeed is legit exposing some great stories haha

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

business hammocks posted:

They left one behind to run the website and liaise with media when necessary. It would be hilarious if he’s been recruiting. I think he was legit the only surviving one.

Naw, there are a couple around, waiting to die so they can be with the others. I saw a live interview with them a couple of years ago.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i’m not saying there aren’t violent right wingers around right now but this sounds like blatant russian agitprop

Nah, ukrainian groups, primarily Svoboda, have been training volunteers from Britain, Denmark and Sweden at least, it's a pretty open secret.

Tias has issued a correction as of 21:35 on Dec 24, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

one of the hosts on Last Podcast ran for Brooklyn borough president and occasionally works as one of fox's pet leftists, so the podcast is extremely cspam by association

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Phlegmatist posted:

those classes are needed before they get to highschool...

WSJ posted:

Some 82% of middle-schoolers couldn’t distinguish between an ad labeled “sponsored content” and a real news story on a website, according to a Stanford University study of 7,804 students from middle school through college. The study, set for release Tuesday, is the biggest so far on how teens evaluate information they find online. Many students judged the credibility of newsy tweets based on how much detail they contained or whether a large photo was attached, rather than on the source.

More than two out of three middle-schoolers couldn’t see any valid reason to mistrust a post written by a bank executive arguing that young adults need more financial-planning help. And nearly four in 10 high-school students believed, based on the headline, that a photo of deformed daisies on a photo-sharing site provided strong evidence of toxic conditions near the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in Japan, even though no source or location was given for the photo.

welcome to infohell

e: https://www.wsj.com/articles/most-students-dont-know-when-news-is-fake-stanford-study-finds-1479752576

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

one of the hosts on Last Podcast ran for Brooklyn borough president and occasionally works as one of fox's pet leftists, so the podcast is extremely cspam by association

He's p libertarian but of the sort that can be radicalized

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
did that antifa derailing the train poo poo get any traction anywhere, i checked the_donald as it was happening but even they agreed it was incredibly dumb

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pope Guilty posted:

This is a really good podcast and after episodes it's interesting to spot the patterns and commonalities.

Evasion is the smuggest loving book but it's basically the most Crimethinc thing ever written

I've seen like a million copies of this poster in my life though

I genuinely love the bullshit in Evasion and I'll cut any of you who talk bad about it

The ideas it tries to espouse are ins anely laughable tho

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also lmao at that poster haven't seen that in a while

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Visidan posted:

did that antifa derailing the train poo poo get any traction anywhere, i checked the_donald as it was happening but even they agreed it was incredibly dumb

yeah when /pol/ first released the image all the alt-right discord servers i'm spying on went crazy about how the media will never cover this obvious act of left wing terror until eventually someone said "that's dumb as gently caress, like that doesn't even make sense" and then they backpedaled and it went down the memory hole

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Visidan posted:

weird mike proposed it, then denied it

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
man the alt-right have been a mess since charlottesville, if you cant even trick the_donald with fake news what good are you

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
the_donald is actually pretty intelligent for the alt-right from what I've seen

yes this should scare you

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also lmao at that poster haven't seen that in a while

It's kinda like Goatsce, you just smile at it, like an old friend

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Don't the_donald mods aggressively moderate posts and content to keep the sub on the site?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

ATP_Power posted:

Don't the_donald mods aggressively moderate posts and content to keep the sub on the site?

not really

reddit is really lenient and is more likely to crack down on leftists

they aggressively moderate posts to remove dissent

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are more people who follow Ti and Do after their martyrdom than ever follwed them during their time in this evolutinary level.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

There are more people who follow Ti and Do after their martyrdom than ever follwed them during their time in this evolutinary level.

Maybe they'll also kill themselves?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From the increasingly distressed tone of their posts, i would not count out McDoWell as prime candidate for shedding their broken down vehicle and joining their older members in the evolutinary kingdom level above human

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

The evolutionary level above human is CSPAM poster.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Visidan posted:

the kid is 18 i think, he killed his girlfriends parents cause they got their daughter to break up with him cause he's racist. he shot himself in the head right after cause he's a pussy but lived anyway cause he's a loving moron

this is so sad

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The evolutionary level above human is CSPAM poster.

Make way for the Homo Superior!

*Waddles in dressed like a Soviet commissar with a chin-pube version of the Lenin beard*

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

MizPiz posted:

Make way for the Homo Superior!

*Waddles in dressed like a Soviet commissar with a chin-pube version of the Lenin beard*

Dont loving dox me

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ague Proof posted:

weird mike proposed it, then denied it

i thoruhgt that was a pissbitch thing

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It’s Christmas and I’m listening to my brother and sis’s boyfriend talk about investments in an amazing new cryptocurrency called Ripple.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rinkles posted:

this is so sad

Yeah it sucks that two people died because of this shitbag.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

snoremac posted:

It’s Christmas and I’m listening to my brother and sis’s boyfriend talk about investments in an amazing new cryptocurrency called Ripple.

Ripple was created from the guy who originally created Mt. Gox (and eDonkey) and was specifically created to be a payment processor and as stable as possible.

For some reason I keep seeing Ripple mention as the next big coin to go boom and as far as I can tell it’s because they have a large cap and are still priced pretty low. It’s actively designed to not swing higher.

why am I discussing this in the alt-right thread?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
when you've aligned yourself with one weird cult, why not align yourself with other! scarf down nootrophics, chug raw milk, never eat a vegetable, never eat a meat, drink soylent, discard your family!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

When you are an ancap Buttcoiner, it's only a few steps to becoming an anticom alt-righter.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

For anyone unaware, Glynn Washington is currently putting out a podcast about Heaven's Gate, it's just called Heaven's Gate and it's just great. He grew up in Herbert Armstrong's Worldwide Church of God, which gives him a really interesting perspective. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has even a passing interest in understanding cults in general or Heaven's Gate specifically.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

School shooter culture always was the proto-alt right so it makes sense that those broke brained fuckos are mudering people under a flag now

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Ague Proof posted:

not really

reddit is really lenient and is more likely to crack down on leftists

they aggressively moderate posts to remove dissent

more like reddit is more likely to crack down on nobody ever unless the entire world screams at them

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
however, i have looked at goat or whatever the right wing version is called a while ago and holy poo poo it’s so much worse, like literally cartoonishly nazi and racist

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Somewhat unrelated (though still related to political meme weirdness), can anyone explain Stirner memes?????

I feel out of my depth here and I’m relatively familiar with anarchism

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Neon Noodle posted:

Somewhat unrelated (though still related to political meme weirdness), can anyone explain Stirner memes?????

I feel out of my depth here and I’m relatively familiar with anarchism

A smirking Stirner face attracts shitposting young Ancapistan FYGMists who need something to ironically woke-off about fresh out of their AP Philosophy courses, and he's pretty edgy-looking.
At some point he was redrawn fellating himself because Egoism so sure, that makes sense.
The autofellatio was reposted, and now his doodled face is in everyone's meme groups forever.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh hey Julian Assange's Twitter account got nuked.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

lol

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

real one or one of the fakes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I think he did it himself