Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
er, mdm and data management were big selling points for bb well into the early iphone era.

winmo had poo poo mdm after it was finally added to exchange and it basically didn't exist on symbian/palm without god awful middleware that managed to make bes look good

i'm not defending blackberry here, they were poo poo from a butt for years before the whole modern smartphone thing, but their frankensteined email pager platform was really popular for a reason

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
lol if you have a company phone managed by your employer

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i still kinda wish danger had stuck around so i could see the next few iterations of the hiptop/sidekick we could've gotten instead of the kin

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

infernal machines posted:

er, mdm and data management were big selling points for bb well into the early iphone era.

winmo had poo poo mdm after it was finally added to exchange and it basically didn't exist on symbian/palm without god awful middleware that managed to make bes look good

i'm not defending blackberry here, they were poo poo from a butt for years before the whole modern smartphone thing, but their frankensteined email pager platform was really popular for a reason

Seriously, if you didn't have BB your alternative was MobileIron and I can tell you from experience that product was poo poo rear end poofuck compared to blackberry at the time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, like the contemporary alternatives could actually brick your mailbox in certain circumstances and accidentally downloading an attachment might cost you hundreds of dollars

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
blackberry was doomed the moment the ceo of every fortune 500 firm brought in his brand new iphone and told IT to "just make it work"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

notice how those are utterly irrelevant issues to the average consumer, and solutions were available for other platforms.

blackberry would never have been able to keep coasting on "we're the least worst solution for Serious Business" thing in the face of CEOs demanding the alternate reality extremely popular Motorola Windows Textr or whatever other phones would have gotten big. some third party solution would have gotten picked up by a platform holder, quickly meeting BES feature parity, etc

even in blackberry's best sales year, 2011, they only managed to sell 30 million phones across all their types. in modern years, 30 million phones get sold in a single day and theres just no way they'd ever meet those sorts of goals

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i guess, but you remember how reluctant large business and government were to give up bb as late as five years into their terminal marketshare tailspin?

obviously that could have happened without apple, but given what ms was doing at the time, and even google's og android concept was directly targeted at the blackberry, not so much a consumer device, i don't think it would have been as quick as it was.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 25, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

apple definitely sped the process up but it was only because steve's glowing aura showed the industry which direction to move for a few years. everyone would have figured it out eventually and bb would have been just as incapable of executing. whether they had a year to figure it out or five was immaterial imo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

although now that i think about it they may have been able to limp along much longer without apple unloading on their knees with a machine gun. but this is getting into alternate history 'what if hitler was actually in taoism' so who cares

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

apple definitely sped the process up but it was only because steve's glowing aura showed the industry which direction to move for a few years. everyone would have figured it out eventually and bb would have been just as incapable of executing. whether they had a year to figure it out or five was immaterial imo

well that and apple's negotiation with att made data plans with non comedy amounts of data a thing. part of the reason mobile web and data management existed was because you would pay $10/MB in some cases

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

the palm centro was kinda neat :unsmith:

I was a huge Palm guy from the Treo 600 up until the Pre failed.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
windows phone was garbage and was never going to get better. microsoft threw it out and started over again. twice. and that was after Apple showed them what a phone should be.
symbian s60 was similarly trash. it could not evolve into a mobile OS of the type we have today because Nokia was very bad at making software. they open sourced it because they knew it was hosed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

...yes, but what about android?

revolutionary

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

...yes, but what about android?

revolutionary

almost as if they copied the clear market leader in a sea of disaster mobile operating systems until a better one to copy came along.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

almost as if they copied the clear market leader in a sea of disaster mobile operating systems until a better one to copy came along.

yeah android became a lot better when it stopped copying the featurephone BlackBerry and instead copied the smartphone Symbian device.

though you also have to remember that android was also meant to run where BREW and the other mobile java phones ran at the moment, ie just calls, texts, photos and a tiny amount of apps, all the way up to what would be a modern "flagship" device

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

yeah android became a lot better when it stopped copying the featurephone BlackBerry and instead copied the smartphone Symbian device.

though you also have to remember that android was also meant to run where BREW and the other mobile java phones ran at the moment, ie just calls, texts, photos and a tiny amount of apps, all the way up to what would be a modern "flagship" device

sure they copied symbian the clear leader in mobile phones today.

fishmechin in rare form

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
mobile phones suck

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

sure they copied symbian the clear leader in mobile phones today.

fishmechin in rare form

They did copy Symbian. The first iPhone was a featurephone - no apps

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

a rare insight into the early anroid design process

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

They did copy Symbian. The first iPhone was a featurephone - no apps

lmao.

hundreds of apps made by literally *dozens* of developers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

lmao.

~*fishmech rages from within kitty jail*~

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

i guess, but you remember how reluctant large business and government were to give up bb as late as five years into their terminal marketshare tailspin?

worth saying that BB also had enormous amounts of good will at big telcos in that period - they drove blessed ARPU through BES subscriptions etc and a lot of sales people made filthy amounts of money selling the BB ecosystem. even when the playbook came out plenty of big stupid telcos were willing to give them a go just on past good will and tried to flog them into enterprises.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The gently caress is chromecast even for

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
it’s for casting chrome tabs of “watch X online” to the big screen

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
poors

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rex-Goliath posted:

there was a p deece book ("losing the signal") about the rise and fall of bbry which made it clear bbry was a dead company walking even at the height of their success. every year was a race to get that years phone models out the door, there was no roadmap, the company was doubling in headcount every 18 months, and their codebase was this exponentially growing tangle of unmaintained java spaghetti code. even their mainline phones (like later models of the bold) became slow and unstable and borderline unusable because of the technical debt they had stacked up during their hypergrowth phase

also the co-ceo thing worked when the company was growing like gangbusters but when things turned sour it absolutely killed them because no one was in charge and there was no clear line of authority and the two principals stopped talking to each other and left each other alone

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

poty posted:

the fact that cremnob was banned while fishmech is allowed to roam free is truly one of the greatest injustices of all time

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

lmao.

the iphone 1 had a 2g radio and its "apps" were shortcuts to webpages. it wasn't great.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

anthonypants posted:

the iphone 1 had a 2g radio and its "apps" were shortcuts to webpages. it wasn't great.

the iPhone 1 literally fixed the apps thing with a software update. it also had usable wifi and a real web browser and a giant touch screen. it was great for the time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Management posted:

the iPhone 1 literally fixed the apps thing with a software update. it also had usable wifi and a real web browser and a giant touch screen. it was great for the time.
real glad fishmech is eating a probe rn

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

anthonypants posted:

and this was where the iphone stopped development forever and was forgotten by history while symbian went on to be a huge market success that everyone just had to copy

what kind of ARG are you guys living in

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Management posted:

yeah they did a good job copying symbian

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

the worst one. Britain vote itself into an economic crisis, America elected a racist scammer for president, and people keep talking about bitcoins.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbqh i could have done with living in a reality without neither iphones nor nazis

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

and this was where the iphone stopped development forever and was forgotten by history while symbian went on to be a huge market success that everyone just had to copy

well it's not the one where someone's making that argument, that's for sure

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The S60 post-mortem is a great summary of all of Symbian's failings.

But didn't MeeGo have a shot if Elop didn't turn out to be a double-agent for Microsoft? It looked much better and Sailfish OS is the only remaining alt-OS for mobile out there besides Tizen.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

anthonypants posted:

well it's not the one where someone's making that argument, that's for sure

google changed android from a blackberry lookalike to an iphone lookalike, pretending that symbian was what google was copying because the iphone 1 didn’t have an app store at launch is just silly, android market launched a half a year after the iphone app store. no one was trying to copy symbian because it was a hot garbage dumpster fire.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

DELETE CASCADE posted:

wow, a million dollars? a whole million? gosh gee that's only the price of a 2br starter home in mountain view :rolleyes:

it’s hilarious how antsy and anxious people get when they have to confront the idea that their level of accumulated wealth might be excessive and immoral

the median household income is 47k. a million dollars is bougie as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

carry on then posted:

it’s hilarious how antsy and anxious people get when they have to confront the idea that their level of accumulated wealth might be excessive and immoral

the median household income is 47k. a million dollars is bougie as gently caress

"it can't be, I can't even afford a house near my job!"

• Locked thread