Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I will play whatever format allows me to sleeve up a playset of KotR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

My friend just buy blood moon and stormbreath dragons and build Ponza

I am! Just need another Stormbreath and some of the green spells I think. I said some pieces, not all!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 24, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

I will play whatever format allows me to sleeve up a playset of KotR

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

mtg community: wahhhhh lantern control
mtg community: yaaaay ponza

ponza is a midrange deck with land destruction now, rather than an LD deck

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Archenteron posted:

My friend just buy blood moon and stormbreath dragons and build Ponza

Oh dammit. This looks great. Now I need stormbreath and this loving acid moss card.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh dammit. This looks great. Now I need stormbreath and this loving acid moss card.

:kheldragar: good

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

ponza is a blood moon deck

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I feel that if you play Lantern you're obligated to provide refreshments to your opponent while you beat them.

A nice Fresca and some walnuts would be a welcome gift to any opponent locked out of playing wizard poker.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Lantern is one of those decks that I can't figure out how anyone beats even with Stony Silence or Kataki.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Star Man posted:

Lantern is one of those decks that I can't figure out how anyone beats even with Stony Silence or Kataki.

I've never seen it happen, but in theory they can just not draw Ensnaring Bridge and then their deck doesn't do anything.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

I've never seen it happen, but in theory they can just not draw Ensnaring Bridge and then their deck doesn't do anything.

In the whirl deck this happens even less than before.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I know that Lantern has an issue with resolved planeswalkers. Though that planeswalker better be something that erases permanents or deals direct damage.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Star Man posted:

I know that Lantern has an issue with resolved planeswalkers. Though that planeswalker better be something that erases permanents or deals direct damage.

In a 75 with 2/3 pithing needles I don't know if that is exactly true.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think Loam fucks them up real good in theory?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

In a 75 with 2/3 pithing needles I don't know if that is exactly true.

That's true.

The deck's got some kind of a gaping weakness because it's not like it destroys tournaments all the time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think Storm fries it pretty dead too

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

Shattering spree, lilianas, Stony silence, abrupt decay, pithing needle, phyrexian revoker, burn etc.

Lantern loses a lot. But much like playing agianst miracles just know when you have lost and concede.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

mtg community: wahhhhh lantern control
mtg community: yaaaay ponza

i honestly don't get all the hate for lantern. it's no less fair than 50% of the format and there's plenty of ways to interact with it. saying "it takes forever" is dumb as poo poo too. Know your outs and concede when they're gone.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

just play the real good guy of Modern

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I play lantern and the new version is so much better.

Storm isn't too bad. Tron is nearly impossible but past that I don't mind most matchups.

We have tutorable EE, witchbane orb, grafdiggers cage, and pithing needle mainboard. It's exceptionally good.

Biggest issues are:
- Unexpected early chalice
- blood moon if it strands multiple Whirs in hand
- World Breaker and Karn

Chalice isn't the end due to the ability to Whir EE on 0. But paired with pressure it can be ugly.

I rarely feel in a bad spot unless I'm against Tron.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The card you really want against Lantern is Ancient Grudge (here's to hoping they don't have Pyxis).

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The card you really want against Lantern is Ancient Grudge (here's to hoping they don't have Pyxis).

turn 2 thalia into turn 3 other thalia is also a good way to beat them

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The design of Kaladesh was bad if it included Aether Hub and Attune with Aether. Those turn energy from a parasitic mechanic that is fairly limited or fine as a subtheme into you get to run the best cards, regardless of color, and all energy outlets are already enabled by your manabase (and themselves) so they're often the best cards.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Star Man posted:

That's true.

The deck's got some kind of a gaping weakness because it's not like it destroys tournaments all the time.
It’s not as consistent as people think it is.

Sometimes your opponent just resolves a threat you can’t do anything about, e.g. Lingering Souls.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Play real Mill (and die when you can't kill any large creatures)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Star Man posted:

I'm old man Jund. Lantern is not great against Jund. Sideboarded it gets even better.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Most upsetting modern decks:
1. Lantern
2. Bant Spirits
3. As Foretold
4. Scapeshift (if only because the pilot invariably is a shady/sloppy fucker who tries his damnedest to conceal the precise quantity/state of his lands at all times (as well as forgetting exactly how many he's played each turn) generally short of outright having them in a perfect uniform stack)

Dishonorable Mention for Eldrazi (all kinds) and Tron (all kinds).

Edit to add:
Is it unreasonable to, going forward, make Scapeshift opponents play slowly and allow me to count publicly visible objects after each action he takes? 'Cause I really can't figure out another solution that isn't legally-actionable aggravated assault.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 25, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Tubgoat posted:

1. Lantern
2. Bant Spirits
3. As Foretold
4. Scapeshift (if only because the pilot invariably is a shady/sloppy fucker who tries his damnedest to conceal the precise quantity/state of his lands at all times (as well as forgetting exactly how many he's played each turn) generally short of outright having them in a perfect uniform stack)

Edit to add:
Is it unreasonable to, going forward, make Scapeshift opponents play slowly and allow me to count publicly visible objects after each action he takes? 'Cause I really can't figure out another solution that isn't legally-actionable aggravated assault.

You can tell them they have to display each land individually and not stack them. You are also allowed to move cards around by telling them you are going to do it. It is a rear end in a top hat move to reach across and move their lands to count them, but it's a bigger rear end in a top hat move to try to hide them in the first place

I also use a die to determine if a scapeshift fucker has played a land for a turn.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
As a former Valakut player anyone on that deck who isn't forthright with their land count has no honor and should be stricken down. If I'm going to blow you up with volcanoes I'm going to do it by the books :colbert:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

2. Bant Spirits

What

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tubgoat posted:

2. Bant Spirits

Fite me irl

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tubgoat posted:

1. Lantern
2. Bant Spirits
3. As Foretold

Edit to add:

I too am upset by bad modern decks existing.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Spirits is everything awful about faeries except immune to Volcanic Fallout as well. gently caress Spirits.

Oh, and their 2/3 flying counterspell counters uncounterable spells.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tubgoat posted:

Spirits is everything awful about faeries except immune to Volcanic Fallout as well. gently caress Spirits.

Oh, and their 2/3 flying counterspell counters uncounterable spells.

I am also upset about a current bad deck's successor being unfavourable to odd cards that see very little play even in modern sideboards.

Maybe you should instead be mad about playing a bad deck that loses to other bad decks?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Spirits is fun to play both with and against so I'm not sure what the problem is, exactly

I'm also not sure why As Foretold is suddenly evil

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm guessing the As Foretold deck that Tubgoat doesn't like is actually U/x Living End.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Settle the Wreckage sounds like pretty OP against spirits.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Settle the Wreckage sounds like pretty OP against spirits.

As long as they don’t have wanderer or queller then yeah that sounds correct.

In other news I stole a game against grixis deaths shadow as bant spirits by back to back phantasmagoric imaging a snap caster to cast path and coco from the yard.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/945324008056279041

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

gently caress yes.