Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

GeneX posted:

Spirits is fun to play both with and against so I'm not sure what the problem is, exactly

I'm also not sure why As Foretold is suddenly evil
What magical pile is this that doesn't lose to having its spells countered by creatures that can't be wiped by damage or wraths? To be clear, the compromise with blue has always been you have to pick between countering spells or playing creatures during your opponent's turn, with separate cards and the mana cost of separate cards, naturally restricting how many of your spells the little fuckers can counter. Nope! Whatever deck you describe, Spirits preys on it hard unless it's a turn 0 or 1 kill 'cause Queller can counter your 4-mana spell as early as turn 2.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I'm guessing the As Foretold deck that Tubgoat doesn't like is actually U/x Living End.
Honestly, I just wasn't prepared for As Foretold, and it pissed me off he was able to go off turn 3 and counter 2 spells a turn cycle for free once he landed a second. It's a very streamlined variant and I'll be fine when I add a second Back to Nature to the 'board.

Lantern is frustrating because they can prevent you from drawing any card they don't want you to draw when all you need is a literal single card out your deck. Does something from the 'yard? Pyxis is here! No, gently caress Lantern and gently caress everyone that plays it, go lose a bar fight with a steroid-abusing meth head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I, too, really hate known tier 7 deck Bant Spirits. It has such good cards as Spell Queller and Noble Hierarch and

It is truly oppressive having to play around a slightly worse Mystic Snake.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

suicidesteve posted:

I, too, really hate known tier 7 deck Bant Spirits. It has such good cards as Spell Queller and Noble Hierarch and

It is truly oppressive having to play around a slightly worse Mystic Snake.

That may be the most disingenuous argument I've ever read on these forums, and I flit between the Trump thread and the Suck Zone constantly.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Awesome.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tubgoat posted:

That may be the most disingenuous argument I've ever read on these forums, and I flit between the Trump thread and the Suck Zone constantly.

We can tell.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Dominaria is #MTGDOM
I hope the next set is underground, subterranean so afterwards it can be #MTGSUB
and we can really get kinky

Followed by the final dominaria set #MTGFINDOM

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Isn't Karn infected with Phyrexian oil or something?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Maarak posted:

Isn't Karn infected with Phyrexian oil or something?

He was, got corrupted on Mirrodin and it gradually became New Phyrexia, and then Venser and others came to rescue him - Venser died (I think he gave Karn his spark?) and Karn got Liberated.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm excited for cool and good planeswalkers

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Whenever Jace isn't in a set, all the other planeswalkers should be asking "Where's Jace?"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Whenever Jace isn't in a set, all the other planeswalkers should be asking "Where's Jace?"

No.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pretty sure that was admitted story design strategy from Wizards at one point. Or at least something Maro said.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wasn't Teferi supposed to be dead?

I've never bothered to read up on the details of the mending (if that's what it's called).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Rinkles posted:

Wasn't Teferi supposed to be dead?

I've never bothered to read up on the details of the mending (if that's what it's called).

He de-planeswalkered to save his part of the world. Pretty sure they didn't explicitly kill him.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
New Karn is going to either be over powered as gently caress or garbage.

Even though they should really just reprint Karn Liberated and not add to Tron.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I've been playing Magic for three months now and I am already loving tired of Jace

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Karan liberated in standard would be fine for sure. I doubt that will ever happen again with how often they do masters sets now.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm hype as gently caress for Jaya and Jhoria.

Karn looks blocky again. Good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Flip-walker Karn

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

only if he flips into Venser

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Have they ever reprinted walker cards in story expansions? I know they have in core sets and duel decks but I don't think they have in regular expansions.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ybrik posted:

only if he flips into Venser

Then it's revealed Karn is long dead and Venser has been riding around in his hallow golem body like an overly elaborate fatsuit.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I'm guessing the As Foretold deck that Tubgoat doesn't like is actually U/x Living End.

that's a funny deck that gets hard countered by like, a single 2/2 for 2.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

rabidsquid posted:

that's a funny deck that gets hard countered by like, a single 2/2 for 2.

Which bear is that? I'll start 'boarding it. I have way more beef with Spirits; As Foretold is cute and clever, just frustratingly consistent, but being back on Affinity means I can 'board five colors.

I'm excited for the new block structure and direction but not confident in WotC's ability to print remotely powerful cards ever again. Also this new cardstock and face is a real kick in the dick.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 25, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Which bear is that? I'll start 'boarding it. I have way more beef with Spirits; As Foretold is cute and clever, just frustratingly consistent, but being back on Affinity means I can 'board five colors.

I'm excited for the new block structure and direction but not confident in WotC's ability to print remotely powerful cards ever again. Also this new cardstock and face is a real kick in the dick.

Meddling Mage, probably. Also beef with a mediocre deck like spirits is still kinda weird

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i was being a bit hyperbolic but the deck isn't super threat dense and if they don't immediately go off it really struggles against scavenging ooze. if someone were actually going to play jund it would absolutely cream that mono blue living end/as foretold deck but i am pretty sure scavenging ooze by itself is fairly brutal. i watched a friend win with a mull to 3 just off a turn 2 ooze and an early lotv.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Mezzanon posted:

Dominaria is #MTGDOM
I hope the next set is underground, subterranean so afterwards it can be #MTGSUB
and we can really get kinky

Followed by the final dominaria set #MTGFINDOM

You have come to a plane called Dominaria *whipcrack*

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

No Christmas spoiler?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I seem to recall people saying Ugin wasn’t good enough for Tron because you couldn’t turn 3 it.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

meanolmrcloud posted:

No Christmas spoiler?

The Dominaria art is the spoiler.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Okay so my third day of playing Arena. This program sucks.

I have a computer that has no issue running large programs like Photoshop but Arena continually hangs and freezes. I have 8 gigs of RAM, Arena maxes out using around 1.8 and it still bogs down and dies constantly.

I know it's a closed beta but gently caress man. Maybe less shiny flashy backgrounds and more stability would be good. It crahses almost after every win I have.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have a computer that has no issue running large programs like Photoshop but Arena continually hangs and freezes. I have 8 gigs of RAM, Arena maxes out using around 1.8 and it still bogs down and dies constantly.

I know it's a closed beta but gently caress man. Maybe less shiny flashy backgrounds and more stability would be good. It crahses almost after every win I have.

It runs fine on my old rear end Surface pro 2 so :shrug:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Tainen posted:

It runs fine on my old rear end Surface pro 2 so :shrug:

I'm installing it on my MacBook to see if runs better there.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

:siren:Beta software crashes a lot!:siren:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Retromancer posted:

:siren:Beta software crashes a lot!:siren:

unfortunately years and years of demos being marketed as "betas" have conditioned people to expect release quality software. Just look at the beta forums and see the stupidity.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Tainen posted:

unfortunately years and years of demos being marketed as "betas" have conditioned people to expect release quality software. Just look at the beta forums and see the stupidity.

That's not quite what I'm saying considering I work with software development all the time. Im saying I can't seem to get through a game without this thing crashing.

If it works for other people I'm going to try different hardware and see how it goes.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Wizards has a long history of quality software development. I am sure all Beta issues will be fixed.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Errant Gin Monks posted:

maybe take your feedback to the beta forums so they have a chance to fix it?!?!

*e: the game runs just fine on my 3-year-old PC fwiw

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Just because a WotC digital product runs fine on your machine does not mean it will run fine even on more powerful machines. My lovely laptop runs MTGO faster than my gaming PC with four times the RAM and a substantially faster processor. Even doing a full clean install of Windows did not help MTGO run faster. WotC digital products are pretty underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Does Kess still let you cast a spell from your graveyard during the opponent's turn?

A lot of her results in the 1v1 commander leagues early on was most assuredly a result of that, not sure if they ever fixed it.