Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The panel where Cio gets her bug-eyed glasses back is going to own.

I miss them so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I want my promised gay now

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Motherfucker posted:

"I want my promised gay now"

- Drunk elf Cio

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

VanSandman posted:

We get it you vape played Morrowind.

I vape only the finest skooma, thank you.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

The panel where Cio gets her bug-eyed glasses back is going to own.

Cio is dead.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Her mask is doing alright

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Motherfucker posted:

I want my promised gay now

Gayer than a box of hats.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Make the demon and the evil girl fight. Than kiss, than keep fighting.

Also its gotta be a bitch putting stockings over stridulation organs.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 24, 2017

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Aumanor posted:

What about Sheng Seleris?

I gotta say I'm pretty sure "Okay so you can have Enlightenment or the Wo-" "THE WORLD" means sheng seleris is even more hideously powerful in K6BD (pretty impressive for a guy who has to be kept in hell by the Goddess of Keeping Sheng Seleris In Hell.) Could totally see Sheng as one of the guys who basically triggered the Second Conquest into being a massive free-for-all.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

reignonyourparade posted:

I gotta say I'm pretty sure "Okay so you can have Enlightenment or the Wo-" "THE WORLD" means sheng seleris is even more hideously powerful in K6BD (pretty impressive for a guy who has to be kept in hell by the Goddess of Keeping Sheng Seleris In Hell.) Could totally see Sheng as one of the guys who basically triggered the Second Conquest into being a massive free-for-all.

Ok so this made me Google that guy's name and it was an article on the Glorantha wiki and what in the hell did I just read? It's like Exalted and K6BD jumped in a blender with some Conan?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Archenteron posted:

Ok so this made me Google that guy's name and it was an article on the Glorantha wiki and what in the hell did I just read? It's like Exalted and K6BD jumped in a blender with some Conan?
Yeah, that's a pretty good description of Glorantha.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

quote:

The Jrusteli soon became a mighty sea-spanning Empire. At the time, the Waertagi had a monopoly on sea trade thanks to their dragon ships, but the God Learners summoned a series of water gods to invoke the God-Who-Burns-Water. This surprised the Waertagi, who did not believe water could also be fire, and they were destroyed.

This setting is amazing

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sheng Seleris was super crazy, but there's no law saying you can't be super crazy and also a living god. Fortunately for the rest of the world, the Red Emperor eventually reincarnated into a clever enough life to trick and defeat him. Unfortunately for the rest of the world, Argrath went on a heroquest into the special hell made just for Sheng to break him out for the coming cosmic war.

I'm not joking about Sheng having a special hell just for him. It was the only way to keep him from coming back.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

In brief, Glorantha as a setting is so wild because its creator (Greg Stafford) has actually studied a fair bit of anthropology and real-world mythologies. Most fantasical settings are created by people who are more experienced with the sanitized versions of said mythologies (often just the most common ones like Greek or Norse) or of pulp derivatives focused on one story at a time (as opposed to reflecting a cohesive worldview of a people). And that doesn't even get to the problem of having many writers with disparate aims working on a project at once, like Forgotten Realms or any of the comic book superhero canons.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

reignonyourparade posted:

I gotta say I'm pretty sure "Okay so you can have Enlightenment or the Wo-" "THE WORLD"

Rolyalty is saying 'gently caress you' and taking both.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Glorantha is an amazing setting. Definitely my favourite.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

If anyone wants to see some good Glorantha stuff, go read Prince of Sartar.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Rolyalty is saying 'gently caress you' and taking both.

Royalty is realizing that doing the second will achieve the first.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Favorite setting detail about glorantha is that the god of being a stuck up know it all legalistic prick has a beard and demands that all his followers have them as well.

Does this mean that his followers must all be men? No, it means that his women followers must make fake beards for themselves out of their hair.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Glorantha apparently had an empire of godwizards who basically figured out how to read the sourcebook of the setting/system and used it to gently caress around with existence until reality basically changed editions and nuked them out of being.

Apparently they once went "Country A and Country B both have Earth Goddesses. They're probably both aspects of the same being, let's swap their Goddesses and see what happens.

It apparently didn't end well.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The God Learners were the guys who observed a culture who had the rule of "people who can present a sword at the gathering get to vote" and immediately stole their swords overnight before the moot to see what would happen.

They literally brute forced their way through the timeless god plane of mythology by throwing fireballs at everything in sight. It would have been fine if they hadn't been messing up other people's myths and causing serious damage in the process.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Abbadon was heavily influenced by TES lore, and Michael Kirkbride who wrote a bunch of it was heavily influenced by Glorantha, so in a way I guess Glorantha is one of the grandpappies of K6BD

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Why is Donald Duck not a demiurge then

e: Zoss dethroned Donald Duck way back when, that's how he came to power

this is canon now

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Why is Donald Duck not a demiurge then

this is canon now

Some say the universe looks like a wheel, others a duck.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Donald Duck was a major power for several kalpa but ultimately he failed to understand the dethroning-resistant vest he relied upon.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Archenteron posted:

This setting is amazing

"A series of gods" doesn't really do it justice. They summoned up a regular-rear end water spirit, then made it summon its parent which was a pretty significant water spirit, and made IT summon up ITS parent which was the god of water spirits, who was made to summon it's Really Important Water God parent, who was THEN made to summon the god of setting water on fire that no one except the god learners actually knew existed (the god learners may not have known it existed either, but their Models presumably suggested that such a god must exist.)

Archenteron posted:

Apparently they once went "Country A and Country B both have Earth Goddesses. They're probably both aspects of the same being, let's swap their Goddesses and see what happens.

It apparently didn't end well.

Famine in the one country (it was the wrong type of grain and didn't grow in that climate), crippling divorce rates in the other (it wasn't just the primary grain goddess in that country, she was also the primary marriage goddess and process of swapping the two culminated in 'discovering' a myth where they had to swap husbands for a while.)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

By the way, the God Learners did the water-on-fire thing solely to break the maritime mercantile monopoly of the Waetagi (mermen) because the GLs were the magical society of the Middle Sea Empire and were sick to death of paying protection money. And because they could. They eventually created a facility that rapidly progressed myth-technicians through the stages of the most well-mapped and efficient heroquests to mass produce magical weapons.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I can't love the God Learner trope enough :allears: Nerdy math magicians thoroughly mapping out which secret handshake will set water on fire is just too perfect.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Really more Evil Wizard Anthropologists than Nerdy Math Magicians.

(That's evil Wizard-Anthropologists, not Evil-Wizard anthropologists. A very important distinction :v:)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wiegieman posted:

By the way, the God Learners did the water-on-fire thing solely to break the maritime mercantile monopoly of the Waetagi (mermen) because the GLs were the magical society of the Middle Sea Empire and were sick to death of paying protection money. And because they could. They eventually created a facility that rapidly progressed myth-technicians through the stages of the most well-mapped and efficient heroquests to mass produce magical weapons.

Reminds me of the Allagan Empire from Final Fantasy XIV, a long-extinct civilisation who were nuts even by FF villain standards. They were a magically and technologically advanced empire who had conquered most of the world except the continent of Meracydia, due to having certain theological issues. See, one breed of god in this setting (it’s a Final Fantasy MMO, of course there’s a whole bunch of different kinds of gods) is the primal, an immensely destructive creature summoned through the interaction of crystallised magic and the wishes of sentient beings. The more crystals and the stronger the wish, the more powerful the primal. Every time the Allagens tried to invade Meracydia, the tribes there would get angry and upset (for obvious reasons) and the anger would summon a primal. If they somehow killed a primal, the tribes’ outrage would cause them to summon it again, but bigger and angrier. The harder Allag pushed, the nastier the primals they’d find themselves up against.

The sorcerer-scientists of Allag pondered this problem, and eventually reached the obvious solution - resurrect the genius founder of the empire, Xande, as a twenty-foot-tall magical cyborg demigod and see if he had any ideas. As it turned out, he did. Reasoning that if life gave you lemons, it was time to make lemonade, he decided to capture the primals rather than kill them, imprison them with a bunch of their worshippers held in stasis and magically tortured to keep them begging for their primal’s help, and turn the whole wretched structure into a giant power plant. With this strategy, the Allagans swiftly conquered Meracydia and instituted a new golden age with this revolutionary form of energy, full of excitement, adventure, and amusement parks run by combat drones, with a free chimera for every house.

The good times were short-lived, though, because it turned out that Emperor Xande had other reasons for wanting quite so much energy. His first death had taught him that any achievements, no matter how glittering, are meaningless after you die, and he was sick and tired of the whole empire business, so he cribbed some notes from Doom and used the greatest of the Allagan power-plants, a structure the size of a small moon called Dalamud that housed the dragon-god Bahamut, to bore open a portal to hell and let Satan loose upon the world. He failed, thanks to internal sabotage, and the magical backlash destroyed the Empire but left most of the rest of the world intact, leading to a series of raids in the present day where his palace, the Crystal Tower, reactivates after another lunatic sorcerer brainwashed by a vengeful Bahamut and tries to drop the moon-reactor Dalamud on the planet, and you have to stop him from finishing his Satan-assisted suicide attempt.

Final Fantasy, everyone!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
A thing that always interested me about the God Learners is that their analytical magic way of understanding the world wasn't any less valid than any other. The trouble is how much more valid they considered it and what they were willing to do with that.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Darth Walrus posted:

Reminds me of the Allagan Empire from Final Fantasy XIV...

The most KSBD primal is, clearly, the primal-goddess Sophia, who perches on a severed and writhing angelic head, who preaches pure adherence to an idealised balance, and who - in her boundless compassion - bestows transcendant wisdom on her worshippers... leading to society's equilibrium via mortal murder-suicide.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The God Learners were basically cultural appropriation with a wand.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I'm just still tickled by the line "This surprised the Waertagi, who did not believe water could also be fire, and they were destroyed." :allears:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
All this Glorantha stuff is pretty interesting, but the wiki is pretty sparse, where can you read more about the setting?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You can learn more about the setting by playing King of Dragon Pass. There's also a sequel in the works called Six Ages that's supposedly been made feature complete quite recently and is in final testing, which is nice because it's been a long time underway.

Edit: Don't piss off the ducks.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 25, 2017

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

You can learn more about the setting by playing King of Dragon Pass. There's also a sequel in the works called Six Ages that's supposedly been made feature complete quite recently and is in final testing, which is nice because it's been a long time underway.

Edit: Don't piss off the ducks.

counterpoint, do piss off the ducks just to see what happens

its bad. its bad and you die and you deserve it for pissing off the ducks

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Actually the ducks have a fun kinda K6BD belief-angle going with them, where they're by and large a group of peaceful farmers who happen to live next to a haunted swamp full of zombies. So while pretty much all of them are mellow and skittish, the ones who aren't are some of the most powerful warriors of the god that is DEATH and are dedicated to making sure poo poo stays dead. They will not take poo poo off that haunted swamp and woe be to those who try to gently caress with them because they pretty much own the very concept of death. Deathdrakes are just a group of Maya's going around telling the idea of living gently caress off because our god is the Sword DEATH and anything can be killed.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yeah the best parts of the ducks is that you always start out next to some mellow folks with a name like the Cabbage Ducks

and then in the midgame a guy shows up in your hall in full armor like, yes hello im from the Western Ducks here as an emissary for HUMAKT THE GOD OF DEATH and we need to talk about KILLING SOME ZOMBIES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

yeah the best parts of the ducks is that you always start out next to some mellow folks with a name like the Cabbage Ducks

and then in the midgame a guy shows up in your hall in full armor like, yes hello im from the Western Ducks here as an emissary for HUMAKT THE GOD OF DEATH and we need to talk about KILLING SOME ZOMBIES

The ducks loving own and I love whenever a goon runs a King of Dragon Pass game. You always get hilarious stories from it, especially from tricksters.