Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't know what that even is, but okay. It does make me feel a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Arist posted:

I thought the switch from AP to WM was at 10 seconds left because the cooldowns for songs and Barrage/Raging Strikes are all 80 seconds.

This is pretty much my rule of thumb with it as well; The order is always Wanderer's -> Mages -> Army's, and once Raging Strikes is up, you'll want to go back to Wanderer's unless the timing on the songs got royally screwed up (otherwise, you should be able to cut Army's at least a half or 2/3rds early and still be fine).

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Basically a whole lot of people who play this game even at max level have no idea what they are doing (and it shows if you watch what they do or fail to do), so actually asking questions about how to play your job and making an effort to improve already puts you ahead.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't move into people's ley lines but you better believe I aint moving if you put it down near me.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Arist posted:

I thought the switch from AP to WM was at 10 seconds left because the cooldowns for songs and Barrage/Raging Strikes are all 80 seconds.

Yep. But this is all encounter dependent. There are times when you just want to ride Paeon out because a boss jump is coming up pretty soon. Exdeath Savages first jump happens about a minute in, so tag him with Paeon as he's leaving and you should be set for Minuet when he returns. The second jump should happen at the tail end of your Paeon if you keep it ticking lower than 10 seconds, and GCO should as well for NED. Each of Rofocales jumps also occur in that period. Don't waste your Minuets.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh god.

Trachtoum is back.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

TFRazorsaw posted:

Oh god.

Trachtoum is back.

I love that dude

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Cerberus is a real dick, and I usually forget about his "be with a buddy or you get Hysteria and probably run right into the vomit puddle" move that he does right before he dies.

relatedly, when did this get an actual graphic? i did it the other day and you now get a big black orb above you when you have Abandonment, i'm almost positive this was never the case previously.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

MarquiseMindfang posted:

relatedly, when did this get an actual graphic? i did it the other day and you now get a big black orb above you when you have Abandonment, i'm almost positive this was never the case previously.

If I had to guess it's when they did that pass a while back that nerfed the bone zone, changed LOTA to 3/6/15 instead of 6/6/12, and so on.

Also for the first two weeks of playing 70 Paladin I thought Fight or Flight affected Holy Spirit so I'd try to stack it with Requiem. Then I felt like an idiot.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't know what that even is, but okay. It does make me feel a bit better.

Ley Lines is a circle thing a black mage can drop that takes 25% off their GCD, so they want to spend as much time standing in it as possible. Nobody else gets any benefit from it, though.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

vOv posted:

Ley Lines is a circle thing a black mage can drop that takes 25% off their GCD, so they want to spend as much time standing in it as possible. Nobody else gets any benefit from it, though.

And the problem with standing it is that if you get targeted with an AoE. Then the blm has to move too, which sucks.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

itskage posted:

And the problem with standing it is that if you get targeted with an AoE. Then the blm has to move too, which sucks.

It's actually teaching the BLM player a very important lesson that's extremely relevant to current content.

The lesson is to stop playing BLM.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One time in A9S I was offtank and I couldn't see one of the bombs because leylines were on top of it

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

vOv posted:

Maybe if they did more people would play BLM. Probably not, though.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jenrai posted:

loving fight me

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I play BLM for the ultimate nerd experience. Every fight someone bigger than me slaps the books out of my hands, wrecks my carefully arranged stuff, and I'm just running around shouting "QUIT IT THIS ISN'T FAAAAIR YOU MESSED ME UP"

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Jenrai posted:

It's actually teaching the BLM player a very important lesson that's extremely relevant to current content.

never

you will take my 13k GCDs from my cold dead hands

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

vOv posted:

never

Enough about Tornado Kick,

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Renegret posted:

loving fight me

I would but your leylines is continually covered in AOEs and you can't get any casts off due to constant mandatory movement.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Eopia posted:

I would but your leylines is continually covered in AOEs and you can't get any casts off due to constant mandatory movement.

Aetherial Manipulation with fist held out front at head height. YOUR MOVE.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Phone posted:

Enough about Tornado Kick,

I want to donate TK to the local orphanage as my starlight gift this year.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I went through my first raid last night in Labyrinth of the Ancients and by god it was an effing nightmare.

Syrkus Tower went more smoothly but lord jesus the first team had no idea what it was doing.

Nice first run I guess.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

vOv posted:

never

The AOEs will both kill you and take your GCDs for me.

No effort required on my part.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

I went through my first raid last night in Labyrinth of the Ancients and by god it was an effing nightmare.

Syrkus Tower went more smoothly but lord jesus the first team had no idea what it was doing.

Nice first run I guess.

Syrcus can turn into a bit of a mess because DPS these days is such that you can ignore, like, 8/10ths of the previously required mechanics and come out the other side fine... but if your overall DPS is too low and people have either forgotten or don't know the required mechanics, it quickly goes pear-shaped.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

LotA is a mess because people try to just brute force all the mechanics now since if you're good you can blast through because everyone is overgeared.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It was Labyrinth that went pear shaped, not Syrkus, and it happened because the tanks and healers weren't doing their jobs, not the DPS.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

vOv posted:

never

My sam regularly does this with boring old normal combo hits. :colbert:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

It was Labyrinth that went pear shaped, not Syrkus, and it happened because the tanks and healers weren't doing their jobs, not the DPS.

It can happen, especially if you haven't healed or tanked it in a while. The massive increase in raid DPS from 2.X means that both Bone Dragon and King Behemoth quickly turn into huge, chaotic messes. You barely have time to kill the skeletons on Bone Dragon, much less drag them away sufficiently, and King Behemoth does an Ecliptic Meteor what feels like every 10-15s. If I'm not sitting dead center in my alliance and nonstop spamming Succor on Bone Dragon on the revives, it's usually a wipe.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
BONE ZONE

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

At this point, unless you're walking into LotA in ilevel 55, it's faster to just let the skeletons hit the boss. Which coincidentally goes even faster if you tank him the middle.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pubbies always find the dumbest way to play in any given scenario.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Nice first run I guess.

Are you on Aether? I did Syrcus Tower last night and Alliance A kept dying.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Syrcus Tower is so easy whaaat

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It is! But Alliance A kept screwing up somehow. Our Tank in Alliance B kept dying, too.

There were no wipes, though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Are you on Aether? I did Syrcus Tower last night and Alliance A kept dying.

No, I’m on Siren. And it was LotA that we failed on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure Siren is on Aether!

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I've had a couple instances in LotA where all three tanks absolutely refused to pull and wouldn't attempt to take the boss if someone else pulled. The first time we ended up kicking because they wouldn't even respond and getting new tanks but the second time one of them squeaked "I'm only in 110 gear, someone else tank" and that's when the vote abandon came out. Which is unfortunate because it is easy as hell replacing tanks in alliance roulette. I think alliance roulette is becoming a popular tank leveling method for people who don't want to tank and just pray to god someone else does it and they can hide.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm pretty sure Siren is on Aether!

See I’m not one hundred percent on how all this works

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

See I’m not one hundred percent on how all this works

Individual servers are clustered together into data centers. Servers in those data centers can communicate with eachother, which is how you get cross-server grouping in the duty finder and some of the newer features like cross-server friends. The Western release has two major data centers, Aether and Primal, with Siren being a server in the Aether data center.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chaos is a western data center, just European focused rather than US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Chaos is a western data center, just European focused rather than US.

Ah, yeah, I forgot about Chaos. It's relatively new, isn't it? I recall it only coming around last year or so.