Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

On HeroClix: the paint jobs don't help, but I think the sub Reaper rubbery plastic defies any attempts at holding fine detail.

Yeah, I bought some heroclix for a kid once and I think they're garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ah, shame to hear, since Heroclix really does have just about every possible license available in one game.

On Reaper: I actually think bonesium's resistance to paint is useful to newbie painters; it means you can identify top highlight areas just by playing around with the figure after priming it :v:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Red_Fred posted:

Can anyone recommend some good mini brands/lines for D&D 5e? I want to pick up some unpainted minis for our games to contribute but I'm struggling to choose. Ideally they would be good value but high quality plastic and of course unpainted.

Ideally I think our group needs some general humans (townsfolk, guards etc.) so I can only assume it would be cheaper to get some "non D&D" line of general medieval ones right?

If you're looking for NPCs, try here: http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/shop/product-category/npc-series-non-player-characters/

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

bonds0097 posted:

Finished my second 165 point Batman crew, the dynamic duo in bright colors!

Adam West would have been proud!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how the current iteration of Heroclix is but the first iteration had laughably bad paint jobs. It was very common to get figures that had blotches of paint where their eyes were and to be missing paint in awkward places, such as the crotch area for flying lady characters. The machine painting them in the factory was the paint equivalent of the makeup gun from the Simpsons.

bonds0097 posted:

These look really good. I like that they have a good gambit of Batman sculpts and Batman villain sculpts. It's a shame they lost the Marvel license.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Pendent posted:

Hixson, I'm sure you've talked about it before but I absolutely love that red. What are you using for a recipe?

Hey thanks, i dont know if I've shared the recipe or not

Its vallejo heavy read over a black primer with a grey preshade. Then highlighted with vga bloody red, then a bloody red line highlight and a black pin wash. It's all airbrushed except for the wash and line highlight

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Nurgle knights tend to be overdone so I wanted to do one right.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bonds0097 posted:

Im Batman's eye-line right to Robin's rear end.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

Im Batman's eye-line right to Robin's rear end.

I mean, that's literally why the Comic Code Authority exists.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
+3 speed whenever Batman has LoS of a pantsless Robin's rear end.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Ghazk posted:

This is fantastic. I've never described anything Nurgle as 'tasteful' before but this somehow counts.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ghazk posted:

You should be painting for money.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Not wanting to shell out 5200 yen for an apothecary for my Marines, I instead bashed one together with a spare primaris dude and some bits and bobs I had lying around.

(Looking at it, I need to touch up the red studs on his right shoulder a bit.) No way was I painting a guy all white, so I basically just swapped out most of the yellow on the standard scheme you can see on the command group below with white, giving a manageable - but still annoying - white surface area. His kit looks enough like something that could be a space med kit that I can call it a narthecium, and his color scheme further sets him out - job's a good 'un, I think.

Here he is with the whole command group so far. I'm on the hunt for an appropriate sword bit to bash up something I can paint with blue and call a librarian next.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghazk posted:

This is lovely.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Stephenls posted:

Twelve Reaper Bones lizardfolk primed gloss black in prep for tests of all twelve of my new Green Stuff World ColorShift "chameleon" metal paints -- that's metallic paints with at least two shades, set up so they show one or the other depending on viewing angle. This was a miserable experience; that much primer beats the absolute poo poo out of my airbrush, hence its disassembly and soak in a mason jar full of Simple Green for at least a few hours while I wait for the gloss primer to dry, and the hydrophobic Bones PVC can't accept primer that's been thinned at all, so I had to blow it through the airbrush undilited in about three layers per figure.

These paints were just released -- I had them preordered -- and the actual reason for the test is because I think four of the bottles are quality control failures and have just medium in them, but no pigment, and I want photographic proof of that so I can send in a complaint and get replacements. But it'll also be nice to see how the functional ones look. EDIT never mind some of the bottles look like they have no pigmentation but they definitely work, see in-progress pic:

Tomorrow I'll do another layer on each of 'em and then do spinny turnaround videos.

Thank you for doing this - I’m really interested in potentially blending these with an airbrush for simple but funky x-wing repaints.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the 30k thread:

Hamshot posted:

(cultist for scale)

Lacrimas Rosa, or the Bloody Rose, Legio Oculorrhexis, Forgeworld Meninx, a warlord titan aligned to the Warmaster.

Travels with the word bearers, so the corruption has already begun.

Fully magnetized and with a system for interchangeable weapons for every option.

More pictures, including some detail shots, here.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ghazk posted:

Having just finished reading Dark Imperium which had a lot of Nurgle (No knights, though), this guy is exactly how my minds eye was seeing the troops.

So many good painters here!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 24, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Hamshot posted:

loving :stare:

That is incredible. I love this loving game. It's name is just bananas awesome.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hamshot posted:

The whole thing is impressive as hell, but what really makes it for me is the banners. They really add a sense of scale and even dynamism to the thing, if that makes any sense.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted Valka, a Trollblood solo who wanders from battle to battle in the frozen north, wishing for (but never achieving) a glorious and heroic death.

That's christmasy, right?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Crap pics alert, been painting this while house-sitting and I would like some advice:

- Should I push the contrast between the darks and highlights of the flesh?

- Is the brown dark enough for the bone chitin, or should I go towards a more black direction?

- Do the pustules stand out as such well enough like this, and is the purple wash too sloppy/distracting?

Star Saga (and Deadzone, dirty reusage!!!) Plague Aberration, if anyone's curious. Also considering trying for a dual topcoat; testors matte on the chitin and future on the flesh, for a dry 'n wet effect.

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS
Here's my take on the same guy.

I struggled to increase contrast on the flesh. I picked out the veins with brighter red and chose to put some color on the chitin on the details where the flesh was poking through. There were a few pustules on the chitin so I hit them with an electric blue but I dislike how flat they look. I suck at eyes.

Chitin was based in bone, washed with a medium brown, highlighted with bone again, then white drybrush, I like how it turned out

I love the head on yours and I'm going to try the wet/dry look, that's a great idea!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got a light box for xmas, and a buddy got me a Scibor Cthulhu egg.

+

???!!!?!!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 25, 2017

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Philthy posted:

Got a light box for xmas, and a buddy got me a Scibor Cthulhu egg.

+

???!!!?!!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Painted up my first batch of Batman Objective Markers. These were a lot of fun.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Godamnit stop making me really want my a knight which I can't afford, those look so good

Hamshot posted:

Amazingggg. How did you do those banners? I've had similar in mind buy now to get that quality I haven't been sure of.

bonds0097 posted:

Painted up my first batch of Batman Objective Markers. These were a lot of fun.

Where's Mr freezes' marker? :colbert:

VolatileSky fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 25, 2017

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

VolatileSky posted:

Godamnit stop making me really want my a knight which I can't afford, those look so good

Amazingggg. How did you do those banners? I've had similar in mind buy now to get that quality I haven't been sure of.

Where's Mr freezes' marker? :colbert:

Just place an actual ice cube on the table :v:

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
This one was simple, but it looks like I'm off to a decent start with doing these from scratch! Just shame my bases took so long to get here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was looking through some old photo archives for something for a friend and found a few minis I painted, one a few years before the last mini I ever painted, then one a bit later, then the last one I ever did.

An old Vermin Lord, the classic metal one, where I had no concept of shading or lining stuff. The black on the warpstone orb on the staff end was supposed to be "highlighting" but :lol: no(also Paperclip Terminator for some reason I forgot). Oh, also, painted on bare metal.

a few years later, a step-by-step attempt at shading, inking, highlighting, etc on a space marine armless body

a second practice marine shortly after, a damaged one without a backpack I decided to paint in a semi-2nd-edition blood angels style

the last miniature I ever painted, a space marine terminator I worked my rear end off on, especially the helmet, shield and hammer. Unfortunately the crux got a bit hosed up during highlighting and some paint got into the crevices, which super sucks. But the helmet, hammer and shield I am really happy how they turned out.

Soon after the terminator was finished, my little sister was killed, and I never felt the desire to paint again. Someday I hope I will be able to, but we used to paint together, so it's particularly hard to go back to that.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

Someday I hope I will be able to, but we used to paint together, so it's particularly hard to go back to that.

I hope so too.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It's so hard not to spend ages painting these death guard from the Dark Imperium box. Each one looks fantastic as has as much detail as a $25 character model or whatever.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Ordered one of the Kingdom Death recasts off Aliexpress for shits and giggles.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Philthy posted:

I only ordered one so far, but they're pretty nice quality. My only real complaint is that they come in fewer pieces than the real ones, so some areas can be tricky to paint + harder to customize (I wanted to make a headless horsewoman Percival, but her head is merged with the body in the AE recasts).

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Philthy posted:

Could I get a link?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Beast Pussy posted:

Could I get a link?

I dont think TG is cool with linking recasters, but there's not much policing of KD recasts on Aliexpress; just search for the mini's name and you'll get most of them.

Personally, I don't feel bad about it because they dont come with any of the game materials, and great presentation is a huge part of KD's price.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 27, 2017

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Off topic but is there a dedicated Shadespire thread? I can't see it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Reince Penis posted:

Off topic but is there a dedicated Shadespire thread? I can't see it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837620

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I watched this video on how to paint Salamanders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Wv1Ppp_ww
I really love how simple it is and the color that the guy ends up with. But this technique clearly won't work with vehicles. Does anyone have any idea of a way that I could get a similar color without using a wash?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Captain Invictus posted:

Soon after the terminator was finished, my little sister was killed, and I never felt the desire to paint again. Someday I hope I will be able to, but we used to paint together, so it's particularly hard to go back to that.

:stonk:

Holy poo poo, man. That's loving heavy poo poo to deal with. Is it something you'd mind sharing, or are you gonna keep it close to the chest?

Either way, I'd at least try going to a therapist if you haven't already, as it's still something that's affecting your life enough that you're avoiding a hobby that you two used to share, and talking to someone (whether goons or a professional) can definitely help the healing process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Buddy of mine is a big fan of the Goon. Got some fun minis in...

Did some really basic shading on the skin and blocked in colors elsewhere, but he's starting to come together.