Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think that much time actually passed in the Rey plot. Luke said he'd basically teach her in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

We don't know anything about the new republic.

that they were born from the “alliance to restore the republic” does not exactly inspire confidence. and everything in the sequel movies leads you to the conclusion that they failed to fix the errors of the old government.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arglebargle III posted:

We don't know anything about the new republic.

Canto Bright exists, so we at least know the New Republic was at least permissive of slavery.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

One nitpick I've seen and subsequent explanation for said nitpick is

Rey seems to spend days on the Jedi planet while the fleet has six hours of fuel. The explanation I've seen given for this is relativity, the ships are going near light speed so time pass slower for them. Isn't the simplest explanation just that these scenes were not being shown in order and real time? and that time in the movie basically syncs up once she gets on the falcon?

The Last Jedi was released just a few days off from the first day of Hanukkah, so when that plot point came up I was half-expecting there to be some miracle of the force were the six hours of fuel lasts seven days.

I still don't know if I'm relieved or disappointed that didn't happen.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Serf posted:

that they were born from the “alliance to restore the republic” does not exactly inspire confidence. and everything in the sequel movies leads you to the conclusion that they failed to fix the errors of the old government.
But I'm unclear where you're getting the idea that the Republic was pro-slavery in government? Slavery was much more prevalent in the Outer Rim because the Republic couldn't be arsed to intervene in local affairs. Just because slavery existed doesn't mean the Republic was down with it like the Empire was.

edit: and I don't think Chewie would be screwing around with a bunch of people that would put him back in chains once they reclaim power

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 25, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
My read of The Old Republic and slavery was that it was de jure illegal, but also that the ability for the republic to enforce the laws against slavery were purposefully hobbled so that there was nothing they could do to actually stop it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Grey Fox posted:

But I'm unclear where you're getting the idea that the Republic was pro-slavery in government? Slavery was much more prevalent in the Outer Rim because the Republic couldn't be arsed to intervene in local affairs. Just because slavery existed doesn't mean the Republic was down with it like the Empire was.

edit: and I don't think Chewie would be screwing around with a bunch of people that would put him back in chains once they reclaim power

droids are held in bondage, clones are a slave army and they appear to have no issues with planets practicing slavery if TPM is anything to go by

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Note, also, that the Jedi are essentially slaves.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Ok those are all fair points. The anti-slavery Republic is primarily lip service.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

McCloud posted:

Yes, people like Han, Luke and Leia whose strong convictions defeated the empire, restored the republic and ushered in a new era of peace and prosp..oh...oh wait, no that's not quite how it worked out, did it? No, what happened was, they instead apparently brought back a republic so inept and corrupt that the citizens of the galaxy didn't give a poo poo that the equivalent of Washington DC being nuked by spaze nazis, who then took power.

So hurray for strong convictions, I guess?

Almost as if it's an indictment of liberal democracy and its potential to lead to fascism. Very weird, not at all relevant to today's society whatsoever.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

WarEternal posted:

Almost as if it's an indictment of liberal democracy and its potential to lead to fascism. Very weird, not at all relevant to today's society whatsoever.

Yeah we should just go with communist dictatorships instead.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

My read of The Old Republic and slavery was that it was de jure illegal, but also that the ability for the republic to enforce the laws against slavery were purposefully hobbled so that there was nothing they could do to actually stop it.

The planet with slaves was openly ruled by the same muppet gangster(?) during the period of the prequels and the original trilogy, who was allowed to maintain a monster pit with a different lethal giant muppet inside and a huge lethal sand vagina.

Fantasy stories by their very nature resist complex conceptions of government because they require separate kingdoms that each have distinct absolute monarchs so that an episodic story can take place. The genre is inherently conservative, if not reactionary. This is why any notion of a representative democracy or republic in Star Wars will always have it looking inefficient and powerless, even if it’s supposed to be good, like in the new movies.

It’s also obviously going to reflect the distortions and injustices of our own system that the filmmakers are blind to or accept as normal, like democracy seeming to mean they have more women ceos than the first order.

I truly love hbomb, but sometimes he needs to draw a clearer line between ideology and representation when discussing what movies do.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Grey Fox posted:

Ok those are all fair points. The anti-slavery Republic is primarily lip service.

Padmé’s story is one of a well-meaning liberal slowly discovering that her beloved democracy isn’t nearly what she thought it was. It starts with learning just how racist her own society is against its neighbors and seeing that the Republic tolerates all these horrors at its periphery, and then she sees that she can do nothing to stop the inexorable march toward a pointless war. Anakin is alluring partly because he’s similarly aware of all that’s going wrong. The trouble is that he’s a young proto-fascist.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WarEternal posted:

One problem is that Star Wars has never made any suggestions about how its economy functions, and its heroes are mostly morally pure aristocrats who are most fit to rule by their inborn goodness, while the bad aristocrats ruin things by trying to overreach beyond what is natural.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zoran posted:

Padmé’s story is one of a well-meaning liberal slowly discovering that her beloved democracy isn’t nearly what she thought it was. It starts with learning just how racist her own society is against its neighbors and seeing that the Republic tolerates all these horrors at its periphery, and then she sees that she can do nothing to stop the inexorable march toward a pointless war. Anakin is alluring partly because he’s similarly aware of all that’s going wrong. The trouble is that he’s a young proto-fascist.

The Jedi could have saved him but they only cared about decorum

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

WarEternal posted:

This is a sophism and a dumb meme.

just another fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 25, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

business hammocks posted:

One problem is that Star Wars has never made any suggestions about how its economy functions, and its heroes are mostly morally pure aristocrats who are most fit to rule by their inborn goodness, while the bad aristocrats ruin things by trying to overreach beyond what is natural.

It's provided enough of a framework for the audience to draw the conclusion that it's effectively a hypercapitalist future. The Trade Federation is a corporation large enough to hold a seat in the Senate, and the Separatists were materially backed by other megacorps.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh yeah here's something I thought I saw but I think I may have imagined because it didn't make sense and wasn't commented on.
In Canto Bight the codebreaker they were originally meant to meet, the guy in the White suit with the red lapel, they see him right before being arrested for a parking violation.

In the ship with the hyperspace tracker when they go into the room to shut it off only to find Phasma and the evil BB8, and some more Stormtroopers... Was that white suit lapel guy in the room? I could swear I saw him there next to Phasma but I can't make any sense of it.

Could someone who's seen this more than one tell me if I imagined this?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Could someone who's seen this more than one tell me if I imagined this?

You imagined it.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

just another posted:

Please don't repeat a dumb meme that I doubt you could elaborate on beyond "hmm, sounds provocative..."

Huh? I agree with your other post, I dont think this film goes that far, but I wish it had. Especially the insinuation that just following orders would have resulted in a better outcome, and the fact that Rey kept the books was my main problem with the whole thing. Leia does make overtures towards the resistance being a sort of spark that will ignite revolution. Overall I found the themes pretty muddled, but it's more likely that the discord is between my desire for a more personally satisfying version of the film and the actuality than it is the film itself being confused about its themes.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

WarEternal posted:

Huh? I agree with your other post, I dont think this film goes that far, but I wish it had. Especially the insinuation that just following orders would have resulted in a better outcome, and the fact that Rey... was my main problem with the whole thing. Leia does make overtures towards the resistance being a sort of spark that will ignite revolution. Overall I found the themes pretty muddled, but it's more likely that the discord is between my desire for a more personally satisfying version of the film and the actuality than it is the film itself being confused about its themes.

Sorry, edited it to be less of a jackass. What I meant was the whole "liberalism leads to fascism" meme which became popular on the forum around the time Trump was elected. It's a sophism.

But yeah the film had a pretty clear message that good guys should be listened to and obeyed, because lots of people die if you don't. Between that and the reaffirmation of the Jedi Order, it's very reactionary.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

i want hayden to be back in #9 to talk about unconditional love and look handsome

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wild Horses posted:

i want hayden to be back in #9 to talk about unconditional love and look handsome

Can you imagine how disappointed kylo ren would be to try meeting Darth Vader’s ghost and then have Christensen pick up and start giving him poo poo lines to run on Rey?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

business hammocks posted:

Can you imagine how disappointed kylo ren would be to try meeting Darth Vader’s ghost and then have Christensen pick up and start giving him poo poo lines to run on Rey?

:heysexy: I hate sand
:black101: wow me too!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas from Santa Snoke!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Looks like the film is imploding at the box office. That sucks. I liked it. Probably means that so 9 is going to be a super-safe retread of ROTJ. Bleh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

Looks like the film is imploding at the box office. That sucks. I liked it. Probably means that so 9 is going to be a super-safe retread of ROTJ. Bleh.

My surmise remains that it'll probably finish up around $900 million or so, which is very good but not for a Star Wars movie.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Wheat Loaf posted:

My surmise remains that it'll probably finish up around $900 million or so, which is very good but not for a Star Wars movie.

It's at eight hundred million now and that's before Christmas numbers, I think. I might be reading this wrong. Basing this off Box Office Mojo. So I think it's reasonable that it can beat a billion since it only needs another 200 million and it will be in theaters for a while. But I could easily be wrong.

Frankly, I feel like Disney did bring this on themselves though. Their decision to release annually was a bad idea. I feel like the Han Solo movies actually going to bomb. Like bad for a normal movie. The reality is that this was not supposed to be something released annually. You do that and all the specialiness goes away. Doesn't matter how good the movies are at that point.

It sucks as a Star Wars fan though. I actually like this new Direction, but there's no way they're going to commit to it now.

Also, neo-nazis going to claim victory over this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

I feel like the Han Solo movies actually going to bomb. Like bad for a normal movie.

So does Disney, apparently. If only because of all the other movies that are scheduled to come out around the same time (it's slated for a fortnight after Avengers, a week before Deadpool 2 and to a lesser extent Ocean's 8 and a fortnight before Incredibles 2).

As for TLJ, I think the problem is that more or less everyone who wants to see it probably has seen it, and the poor word of mouth around it will put off other people who might have gone otherwise.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 25, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

So does Disney, apparently.

If only because of all the other movies that are scheduled to come out around the same time (it's slated for a fortnight after Avengers, a week before Deadpool 2 and to a lesser extent Ocean's 8 and a fortnight before Incredibles 2).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/25/can-star-wars-recover-from-last-jedis-rave-reviews-and-huge-grosses/#331b235d7d2e

Well this gives me a little hope that the movie still going to do well. Essentially, this might just all be normal for a movie like this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/25/can-star-wars-recover-from-last-jedis-rave-reviews-and-huge-grosses/#331b235d7d2e

Well this gives me a little hope that the movie still going to do well. Essentially, this might just all be normal for a movie like this.

I've mentioned before that Forbes is very odd about this. They have two main movie guys from what I can tell. There's Scott Mendelson, who liked the movie and puts a fairly positive spin on everything, then there's Rob Cain, who didn't like the movie and has mainly commented that it (and probably the entire Star Wars franchise) is done for and there's no way back for it. They're both using the same numbers but they seem to have arrived at different conclusions from them.

I think it'll be like Batman v Superman. That was another movie that was "supposed" to make a billion dollars, had a very big debut, dropped very steeply in its second week and ultimately fell short of what its studio wanted.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it'll be like Batman v Superman. That was another movie that was "supposed" to make a billion dollars, had a very big debut, dropped very steeply in its second week and ultimately fell short of what its studio wanted.
Also, both prominently featured at least one of the main characters daydreaming about the other's shirtless, muscular body.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've mentioned before that Forbes is very odd about this. They have two main movie guys from what I can tell. There's Scott Mendelson, who liked the movie and puts a fairly positive spin on everything, then there's Rob Cain, who didn't like the movie and has mainly commented that it (and probably the entire Star Wars franchise) is done for and there's no way back for it. They're both using the same numbers but they seem to have arrived at different conclusions from them.

I'm in accounting. Let me tell you a little secret: numbers actually mean really little. Oh sure, you can derive a lot from numbers, but you're limited by your own perspectives. 2 + 2 will always equal 4, but is for a big number or a small number? Maybe that's a bad example, but I have definitely seen people take great numbers and say they're terrible and take bad numbers and say they're good. It all comes down to perspective. I once saw a company lay off a lot of people because they were expecting 16% growth in a year and they only got 10, which is still very good for a company that old. What really defines numbers is your expectations and your biases. They say, for example, you should always set your expectations with investors low because, if you don't meet them, you're punished, but, even if expectation were low, if you exceed them, you're rewarded.

What I'm saying is, one of the guys like the movie so he can make the number say good things. One of the other guys is clearly one of the fans who absolutely despises it and want Star Wars dead because he didn't like one movie and is making the number say bad things. Maybe I'm being harsh on the latter, but if that's actually happening then it's not far off the mark.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

I'm in accounting. Let me tell you a little secret: numbers actually mean really little.

I think the numbers are really interesting especially as regards movies (I enjoy that kind of trivia) but I must confess I don't completely understand them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Star Wars (the original) hasn't turned a profit on paper. No movie does.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

jivjov posted:

You imagined it.

I feel like Mike when he thought Yoda was dancing in front of the fire

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Numbers are only good if they're divisible by two AND three.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Numbers are only good if they're divisible by two AND three.

That's a really, really, really subtle jab at the sequels.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Covok posted:

Maybe Disney needs to re-edit the existing films.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

This film was already super-safe. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a better example of an Operation Margarine story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
In the end does a big budget movie in Hollywood really turn a profit? They can do all kinds of poo poo with accounting there and get away with not paying taxes or actors or whatever by saying they didn't make a profit off Harry Potter or something and I think they've been sued at times for it.

It probably depends on how the dude probably feels at the time, maybe this movie doesn't make movie producer Avatar all time #1 money and he goes in a pit of despair and says cancel all the Star Wars.