Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
What the hell why are BOTB hovering around an exalt right now?

Even the low ilvl ones are high priced too.

I'm glad I have one but now I'm not sure if I want to sell it or try to use it like I originally planned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

zxqv8 posted:

I'm glad I have one but now I'm not sure if I want to sell it or try to use it like I originally planned

It's the default endgame chest for life builds, and everyone's playing life builds.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

1-68 in one morning what the christ how is that even possible?

Nah it's really easy when you've got the luxury of leveling items and you plot out exactly what you're doing. I had all my gems prebought and in my inventory when I leveled up, only stopping periodically for breaks.

Now the guys that are faster than that on fresh characters, that's something I'll never get close to.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

1-68 in one morning what the christ how is that even possible?

You don't stop for trivial things like killing mobs, or trading, or picking up items.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Yeah if you have goldrim, a tabula, and wanderlust, you can blaze through the main story very quick assuming you don't stop for anything that isn't required to progress.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fastest I've done so far was double pen + vd. You just right click towards the end of the map, everything dies along the way, and your skill still works if you're out-of-mana.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Goldrim, Tabula, Wanderlust, Lochtonial Caress, Karui Ward, double Elreon rings, a stash tab with weapons to swap into, a Darkness Enthroned with two jewels that have no level requirement, all the gems you need, etc.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Ok question about Elemental Penetration. Is it worth stacking it really high (like over 100)? Or does it only ever give diminishing returns? I thought that if you get it high enough you start getting back into exponential returns. But maybe that's an insane thing to think?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Jinnigan posted:

Ok question about Elemental Penetration. Is it worth stacking it really high (like over 100)? Or does it only ever give diminishing returns? I thought that if you get it high enough you start getting back into exponential returns. But maybe that's an insane thing to think?

A certain percentage amount of pen will always add the same amount of damage, no matter what. If you have a 100-damage attack, then 1% of pen will always add 1 damage.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
You can reduce monster's resistances past 0, in which case it works as a damage multiplier ('more'). If the mob starts at 0% resistance, having 25% resistance penetration is a 25% multiplier on all your damage. This is Good. And that's actually the worst case for resistance penetration. If the mob starts at, say, 75% resistance dropping that down to 50% is doubling your damage.

Elemental penetration really owns.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

zxqv8 posted:

they have been hovering around 80-90 chaos ever since the es nerfs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

RPZip posted:

You can reduce monster's resistances past 0, in which case it works as a damage multiplier ('more'). If the mob starts at 0% resistance, having 25% resistance penetration is a 25% multiplier on all your damage. This is Good. And that's actually the worst case for resistance penetration. If the mob starts at, say, 75% resistance dropping that down to 50% is doubling your damage.

Elemental penetration really owns.

Kinda makes me want to start a non-Inquisitor caster a little, I can't imagine non-Shapers having enough resistance that Inquisitor zeroing is always better than stacking penetration

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Jinnigan posted:

Might as well repeat my :effort: post from Discord here:

Penetration is basically a More modifier (initially), since elemental damage taken equals base damage times one minus resistance.
100 dmg vs. 75% resist = 25 dmg. 100 dmg vs. 25% resist = 75 dmg. 100 dmg vs. -25% resist = 125 dmg. 100 dmg vs. -75% resist = 175 dmg.
The min(Rt, Mt) equation from the wiki just says that something's actual resistance is their resistance minus penetration, unless their resistance is higher than their max resistance, in which case actual resistance is max - penetration.

What the chart from the wiki is trying to say is that the first point of penetration you have has more effect on the end result than the last point you have. In my example, you can see that the first 50 penetration multiplied the damage by 3, from 25 to 75. The last 50 penetration multiplied the damage by 1.4. So eventually you get to the point where it might be better to add raw damage instead of penetration.
If instead of going from 100 dmg 100 penetration to 100 dmg 150 penetration I went to 150 dmg 100 penetration the final damage would go from 175 to 187.5.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Kinda makes me want to start a non-Inquisitor caster a little, I can't imagine non-Shapers having enough resistance that Inquisitor zeroing is always better than stacking penetration

Random trash has 0 resists across the board, even in maps. Bosses have 30, I think.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
According to Wiki, Kitava is 25%, Atziri is 30%, Shaper/Guardians 40% and Merc+Uber Izaro (unbuffed) 45%.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Except almost all the selfcaster builds on the forums are still berserkers because there are no spell leech nodes, which is like having to play Witch to play a 2h sunderer or something

This is my pet peeve and I shall die on this hill until it is changed :arghfist::saddowns:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
elemental penetration has hard diminishing returns - 25% pen on a monster with 75% resistance is much better than on a monster with 0% res. By the same token, 75% pen (from e.g. curse + gem) is really good when monsters have high resistances, but you'd be better off pouring that investment into a combination of other increases or multipliers instead if monsters are generally running around with 20-40% or so - other gems, even flat increases, would probably be more efficient

there's no diablo2-like dynamic where really high penetration can pierce immunity and suddenly open up possibilities for a monoelemental build. in the ancient past I suppose the intention was for players to swap penetration for certain map mods

Ciaphas posted:

Except almost all the selfcaster builds on the forums are still berserkers because there are no spell leech nodes, which is like having to play Witch to play a 2h sunderer or something

This is my pet peeve and I shall die on this hill until it is changed :arghfist::saddowns:

it's not just any leech node, it's 3% life and mana leech

it also puts you near lots of life, rather than ES

ronya fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 25, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

vOv posted:

Random trash has 0 resists across the board, even in maps. Bosses have 30, I think.

Bosses have 30 ele 15 chaos, guardians and shaper have 40 ele 25 chaos.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ronya posted:

elemental penetration has hard diminishing returns - 25% pen on a monster with 75% resistance is much better than on a monster with 0% res. By the same token, 75% pen (from e.g. curse + gem) is really good when monsters have high resistances, but you'd be better off pouring that investment into a combination of other increases or multipliers instead if monsters are generally running around with 20-40% or so - other gems, even flat increases, would probably be more efficient

there's no diablo2-like dynamic where really high penetration can pierce immunity and suddenly open up possibilities for a monoelemental build. in the ancient past I suppose the intention was for players to swap penetration for certain map mods

it's not just any leech node, it's 3% life and mana leech

it also puts you near lots of life, rather than ES

it's stupid and i hate it blaaaargh

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Ciaphas posted:

This is the reason why I have never played a caster (that and how much I hate ES.) You can play anything near the bottom of the tree and easily pick up the attack leech nodes by slayer and that basically fixes any kind of sustain issue you have. Its also near all the life nodes that lets you tank up now that ES is nerfed. But no for casters you need to stick a life leech gem in and if you roll a no regen map mod you better have a mana potion in your inventory too or you're in for trouble. You also don't have much armour or evasion nodes near you if you go through the witch section of the tree.

At the start of every league I always wonder why I don't try a caster then I would start building it on the PoE skill tree and then realize why I don't play caster again. Melee forever.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
i have faith that at some point GGG will discover a method of sustain that isn't leech

maybe life/ES regeneration per ailment inflicted recently or something

the broader game design problem is that hobbling sustain just isn't a very fun way for players to experience speedbumps on their skinner-box-lever-pulling adventure - it can be less effective but not a total brake

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 25, 2017

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Played around in PoB some and the highest effective penetration (curses are technically lowering resistance, not adding to your penetration) I could get without pimped out skill gems was 418%. With maxed out skill gems and a +1 socketed skills corruption on the Shroud of the Lightless, that goes up to 427%. This is a level 79 elementalist with 33% increased life, not much else defense-wise from the skill tree, wielding Tempestous Steel and using Frost Blades, so good luck...

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Bouquet posted:

Played around in PoB some and the highest effective penetration (curses are technically lowering resistance, not adding to your penetration) I could get without pimped out skill gems was 418%. With maxed out skill gems and a +1 socketed skills corruption on the Shroud of the Lightless, that goes up to 427%. This is a level 79 elementalist with 33% increased life, not much else defense-wise from the skill tree, wielding Tempestous Steel and using Frost Blades, so good luck...

Wait curses doesn't make resistances go negative? So me skipping out on a cold penetration gem and using frostbite is a bad idea? I'm going to need to rethink my gem/aura setup.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Velveteen posted:

Wait curses doesn't make resistances go negative? So me skipping out on a cold penetration gem and using frostbite is a bad idea? I'm going to need to rethink my gem/aura setup.

The only difference between penetration and lowered resistance is that penetration is effective even if your target is resist capped. Which doesn't matter for fighting mobs.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

vOv posted:

The only difference between penetration and lowered resistance is that penetration is effective even if your target is resist capped. Which doesn't matter for fighting mobs.

it matters if you're in a map with cold res mods or whatever (or rares with auras/resist)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kild posted:

it matters if you're in a map with cold res mods or whatever (or rares with auras/resist)

Can those get mobs anywhere near cap? I figured it'd be like 30-50% at most.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

vOv posted:

Can those get mobs anywhere near cap? I figured it'd be like 30-50% at most.

AURA_Resists +35% to all Elemental Resistances (Hidden)

of Elemental Resistance +40% to all Elemental Resistances (Hidden)

Resistant +25% Monster Chaos Resistance
+40% Monster Elemental Resistance

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
What are good links for LL Glacial Cascade mines if you don't have the helm enchant? I'm currently using GC - Phys to Lightning - Remote Mine - Minefield - Conc Effect - Increased Critical Strikes/AOE for bosses/trash.
My pastebin is: https://pastebin.com/GNfWRqbd Most builds I see are running trap and mine support.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

damnfan posted:

What are good links for LL Glacial Cascade mines if you don't have the helm enchant? I'm currently using GC - Phys to Lightning - Remote Mine - Minefield - Conc Effect - Increased Critical Strikes/AOE for bosses/trash.
My pastebin is: https://pastebin.com/GNfWRqbd Most builds I see are running trap and mine support.

Windz did swap trapmine to phys to lit on his guide. Still using it myself

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

When the price of exalts skyrocket, do big ticket items stay pinned to exalts, or chaos?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Holy poo poo, Scold's Bridle is 5ex this league!??

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Question, my wild strike/ molten strike raider is up to t10/11 maps. Since I've played him I've earned roughly 300 chaos. Should I dump this into him or go with a new build that night take me further.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I found my first-ever Exalt while running through act 8 during the story.

I'm guessing I should sell this for Chaos Orbs? I have very few (12 or so). I'm confused by the trade page -- people are listing them for really weird prices.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I found my first-ever Exalt while running through act 8 during the story.

I'm guessing I should sell this for Chaos Orbs? I have very few (12 or so). I'm confused by the trade page -- people are listing them for really weird prices.

Yeah, sell it. You should be able to get 90c or so

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I whispered like four people from that poe.trade website and nobody responded. Why doesn't this game have a proper auction house?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Not this :can: again

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

I whispered like four people from that poe.trade website and nobody responded. Why doesn't this game have a proper auction house?

That's not a can of worms you want to be opening

But the long and short of it is GGG already think trading is way too easy as it is, we're lucky it doesn't get worse

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Here's something better to open:

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/945386273719566336

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so what did everyone get? fire horns for me. i have been rolling with a dark fire look so i am trying to work these in now. had been using the celestial hood plus bleeding eyes. thinking just horns plus the eyes are looking kind of good.

hope someone got a nice lion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I got an Ice Helmet. Looks like rear end. :v: