Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Do ABA+, especially starting with 8 dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Cool, thanks guys. Except for that Ironman suggestion, I'm not that crazy.

Also, is it me or does the WOTC mod scene seem rather...underdeveloped? I recognize that the expack came out this year but I figured mods would be digging more into the guts of the game instead of the usual cosmetic stuff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It took a long time for that stuff to develop for the base game as well, and all the big overhaul mods are incompatible and some of the more prolific makers have lost interest on XCOM 2 modding (Grimy Bunyip, Long War etc)

That being said there are a bunch of meatier ones. Reality Machina has a ton out I really enjoy. Some of my personal favorites are the ones that let you fulton extract stunned ADVENT (with a chance to deprogram them and get a hybrid soldier or intel) which also works with Allies Unknown (Makes a fourth faction that lets you recruit aliens and robots. Right now there are plugins for a bunch of Mass Effect Aliens including Geth, Twi'lek, HK units from KOTOR, the robot soldiers from one of the recent CODs and Hybrids which are normal dudes with Skirmisher customizations and the Advent Captain 'Mark Target' ability all of whom which use normal classes. Also Mutons, Vipers and Pectoids with unique classes. You can put in as many or few as you want)

There's also an interesting classless system with random perks and a bunch of new ones called MINT I've been watching. Not all the changes are my cup of tea (Cannons can't move and fire any more for instance), but its really cool.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 24, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think the most glaring part of it is that the available class mods for WOTC don't even fill up one page, which is kinda shocking to me. And of them, Richard's class pack is the only one that interests me because I want an infantry class, and a mod that separates Grenadiers into a cannon class and explosive class.

But I guess it'll get much better over time, just like XCOM2 vanilla.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Sparks and skirmishes both get bonus actions. I use sparks as breachers and skirmishes as finishers. Its important to understand that both take risks so I use them in place of risking other soldiers.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Zore posted:

Allies Unknown (Makes a fourth faction that lets you recruit aliens and robots.

Which one does this? There's a lot of AU mods on the workshop so I'm having trouble finding it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I finally got the expansion and there's so much going on I'm feeling totally overwhelmed the entire time.

So far it seems like covert ops where an Ambush is possible aren't really worth doing? At least maybe not early in the game where I have mag weapons and basic armor. My soldiers keep getting ambushed so I'll have two soldiers in a mission up against a Chosen, multiple Lost swarms and 2 Reinforcement pods dropping every single turn and the best outcome I can hope for is sprinting for the extraction point and losing one or both of them along the way (usually both). I can't even figure out how to beat these ambush missions while save-scumming.

The very first Resistance defense mission I went to had a Chosen, 2 Faceless, Mutons and Mecs. In fact I think I've been fighting Mecs consistently since the third mission and in general it seems like enemy types are showing up 2ish months earlier than I'd expect them do.

I'm playing on Commander which I had no problem with in Vanilla but I'm losing 1-2 soldiers on every single mission now :shrug:

On the other hand the game is vomiting credits at me and I've been able to buy/build everything I want right from the get-go without running out of resources.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the series of mods that interact for capturing enemy units are great. Install MOCX and make a character pool full of villains set as dark vip and attempt to capture ones you like. Or just grab randos.

Only thing that sucks is Richard's classes SWAT dudes have a stun thrower that doesn't count as legal stuns for Fulton purposes. Technician's gremlin stun works though.

Using all those also adds a later where MOCX has the default classes you can't get without reneabling via ini so you can treat MOCX encounters like "hmm I don't have a vanilla ranger yet..."

edit: sounds like LW2 Secondaries updated and maybe fixed this stun issue for arc throwers!

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 26, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lynx posted:

Which one does this? There's a lot of AU mods on the workshop so I'm having trouble finding it.

The basic Allies Unknown WotC does this. You then pick whichever species mods ala carte you want to recruit them in game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What's the one that adds the fourth faction that's super shoddily implemented and I hate looking at. I just wanna have salarians and combat droids in my game without having THE SPECTRES standing next to the canon factions.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bogart posted:

What's the one that adds the fourth faction that's super shoddily implemented and I hate looking at. I just wanna have salarians and combat droids in my game without having THE SPECTRES standing next to the canon factions.

They changed it so the faction is now called 'The Liberated' and has a picture of a Viper :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just get rid of it! :negative:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I feel I can advertise this now in the spirit of good cheer - in the International Voice Pack mod, I V.A.'d the Scottish English voice pack.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is there a mod that works for WOTC that I can skip the intro mission

And a squad size mod

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is there a mod that works for WOTC that I can skip the intro mission

And a squad size mod

Robojumper's squad select has a menu option that lets you change the starting squad size anywhere up to 10. You run into some issues if you bump it too much though since soldiers will start spawning inside objects and on top of each other.

I play with a starting size of 6, goes up to 8 with the 2 AWC upgrades, and haven't had an issue.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just got the xcom2 expansion yesterday, and it was great. they fixed a lot of the graphical glitches and the long loading times that made xcom2 really hard for me to play, and the new units seemed cool.

today, the game keeps crashing whenever i load a save game (tried 3 separate games, all the same problem), despite the fact that i could do so yesterday. anyone encountered this bug, or know how to fix it?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Zore posted:

Robojumper's squad select has a menu option that lets you change the starting squad size anywhere up to 10. You run into some issues if you bump it too much though since soldiers will start spawning inside objects and on top of each other.

I play with a starting size of 6, goes up to 8 with the 2 AWC upgrades, and haven't had an issue.

Yeah I just wanted to start at six, thanks.

Are there any good compendiums of mods that are cool and good right now? Someone just gifted me WotC and I wanna dive in with some extra stuff too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ZenVulgarity posted:

Are there any good compendiums of mods that are cool and good right now? Someone just gifted me WotC and I wanna dive in with some extra stuff too.

I have about 87 cosmetic mods that I can suggest

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

ZenVulgarity posted:

Start with ten, curbstomp Gatecrasher, then dial the squad count back down. It's as close to skipping that mission as you're gonna get and you do get a couple of teams worth of squaddies to boot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

Its really up to personal taste. I'm running about 125 right now, but I probably need to cut back on the cosmetic ones since my load times have suffered.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

I have about 87 cosmetic mods that I can suggest

I'd love to know some!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Easiest way to go through Gatecrasher quick is to start at Reaper HQ and end up with a stealthy boy to scout for you and throw extra-strength exposives.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'd love to know some!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1243924119

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Samovar posted:

I feel I can advertise this now in the spirit of good cheer - in the International Voice Pack mod, I V.A.'d the Scottish English voice pack.

Merry Christmas, and well done voicing Sgt. Duncan Deadmeat. Does XCOM have a tartan?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Here's my modlist for anyone interested. Big old mixbag of everything

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1243960371

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
As long as you use the Alternative Mod Launcher you can go pretty hog wild with mods. I just recentely finished up a game with like 350+ mods going. Load times may suffer, but they seem to do that as campaign length drags on anyway.

edit: here's a quick export of stuff I was playing with. Not everything worked 100% or completely bug free but it was a good time and successfully finished the game. https://pastebin.com/34Wanvvu

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 26, 2017

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Played a couple of missions and saved.

Tried to play again, crashes,

Disabled all mods, crashes

File integrity check, crashes

Guess I should just reinsall now? gently caress if I know.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Have you deleted the mod config files? Also definitely use the alternative mod launcher.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

dyzzy posted:

Have you deleted the mod config files? Also definitely use the alternative mod launcher.

Oh, right, nuking the config folder

Thanks!

edit: That did it

edit 2: Or not. Crashes post the logos now, so progress!

edit 3: Nuked the savedata and config, ran through another mod launcher, still crashes at going to the menu.

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 26, 2017

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, after all this time, I've just now noticed something in the Avenger's bar.

They have loving cupcakes in the bar.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 26, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

You not respecting the troops or something, BlazetheInferno????????

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I am! I am! I look in the bar all the time! Which makes it all the more baffling that I've missed this critical piece of information until now!

I am ashamed! :bang:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Prop Wash posted:

Merry Christmas, and well done voicing Sgt. Duncan Deadmeat. Does XCOM have a tartan?

Alas, I know of no tartan which incorporates black/teal/light blue in the pattern, but glad you enjoy it. The mind-controlled lines and psychic power lines were the most fun to record, and yet also the least Scottish. They were certainly the most hammy.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

So, after all this time, I've just now noticed something in the Avenger's bar.

They have loving cupcakes in the bar.

Iirc that's a "thank yous" to some fans who sent Firaxis cupcakes during the development of xcom 2 :3:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
...I forgot the most important mod for my list. A squad size mod. Whoops. And apparently the only squad size mod that's WOTC compatible is one that adds two more squad upgrades up to 8? I was hoping for a "start at 6, upgrade to 8" mod...

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

After loving reinstalling the game all the mods work.

:shrug: :xcom:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

toasterwarrior posted:

...I forgot the most important mod for my list. A squad size mod. Whoops. And apparently the only squad size mod that's WOTC compatible is one that adds two more squad upgrades up to 8? I was hoping for a "start at 6, upgrade to 8" mod...

Robojumper's Squad Select UI mod works with WOTC and has a Preferences option to set starting squad size anywhere between 3 and 10 (while leaving the two GTS squad size upgrades alone).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

Robojumper's Squad Select UI mod works with WOTC and has a Preferences option to set starting squad size anywhere between 3 and 10 (while leaving the two GTS squad size upgrades alone).

Oh cool, thank you. Thought it was just a UI adjustment; you'd think someone into so many games with big modding scenes would be more thorough when reading mod descriptions.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
lol got an Advent supply raid with 25 enemies including Sectopods and Andromedons with a surgical sitrep, rip western Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I just got gifted the vanilla version of this game yesterday and I was wondering if there were any quick reference type resources which give a fast overview of what various techs and proving ground projects actually do. I want to move up to a harder difficulty level and I assume that I'm going to have to stop being so wasteful of resources on the strategy level - I'd rather not have to get a tech tree and then write little notes all over it saying "tier 2 armour unlock, costs 150 supplies" or whatever, since I haven't actually memorised all this poo poo yet.

Also am I missing something or are the individual unit upgrade armour suits pretty poor value for money? They have to be researched first and then you have to buy them invidually, and the first tier suits seem to have a fairly narrow period during which they're actually viable before you replace them with tier 3 of the 'standard' body armour - is there some way to upgrade them into the upgraded (WAR / wraith suits)?

For a new game is there any upgrade path better than rushing the tactics school and then weapon and armour upgrades? The various minor upgrades are cool, but nearly everything costs supplies on top of the research cost and it feels like I don't have any to spare on top of upgrading the basic abilities of my units.