Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Also, did anyone else notice that as you explore each region it gets darker and darker? Woodfall has a happy ending, Snowhead has a dead Darmani, Great Bay has a dead Mikau, stolen eggs, Lulu's lost voice and eventually she's gonna realize her love is dead, and Ikana...well, just look at it.

Sorta yes and no. You mention the eggs and Lulu's voice, but that falls under "stuff you can fix", which every region has, like the poison swamp, monkey boiling, gorons freezing alive,, and mummy dad here. The stuff you can't fix, like dead people, do definitely trend toward harsher themes as you go.

You don't meet ghosts or dead bodies in the swamp and it's fine when you fix it. Darmani was a hero, but he looks to be on the older side, has already been mourned, and the mountain gets spring when you fix it. Mikau is young, with a life full of potential left behind, you watch him die, no one else knows, and they'll still have pirates when you're gone.
That in mind, Ikana is in an interesting place on that gradient where you still can't prevent the dead from dying, but there's not really anyone left to mourn them, either, so you're just helping them and there's not the same sort of lingering sadness when you're done. So it's more like the atmosphere is darker than the others, but the stuff you find and accomplish there is less oppressive on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The solution to the pirate problem is clearly to seed their hideout with bees.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I like the concept behind this dungeon. It's basically "Fetch Quest: The Dungeon", which is an interesting idea. But it falls short for me. Maybe it's the lame attempt at humor from the Gibdos that doesn't really vibe with the rest of the game (particularly Ikana), maybe it's just that it feels like padding, but something about it just rubs me the wrong way. I can't quite put my finger on it.

It would be OK if you could always get everything you need within the well, but instead you basically have to run around and do prepwork just to get in, and if you don't know what you need and are unlucky you might even have to leave and do more prepwork. That kinda grates.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The only things you can't get inside the well are blue potion and beans, the items that the two Gibdo in the very first room want. If you've got those you don't have to leave to get anything.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Good news, we were able to record today! Bad news, the aftermath in discord was....well...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Well, don’t keep us in suspense, who won??

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Tyty. He went Quinn vs my Karma and boy was that dumb.

Got a few good hits in though.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
While we all collectively hope joy and seasonal LP prosperity on Fae and her stalwart Argate/Artix navis, I'd like to present the thread with an only tangentially-related yet chill 64-bit "Zeldawave" mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHUvykXL8Og

I stole this from a PYF thread somewhere and thought they'd help to pass some more time in between fan arts. Anyway, I became lightly head-bopped with lo-fi beats and vague nostalgia for the OoT themes and thought I'd share. Happiness and good brain chemistry to us all!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 63 - I Wanted To Stand On It

Yay an update! We recorded recently so updates should be back on track soon! Enjoy the last of the under the well segment!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Looks like I picked the exact perfect time to finish binging the entire LP! :v:

I find this LP fascinating since the entirety of my Zelda experience is getting to the Goron mask in the Gamecube release of this game and stopping for whatever reason(well, that and playing ~10 minutes of Ocarina of Time before getting bored and stopping). So seeing an LPer go through more or less as blind as I am is its own level of charm. :allears:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just wanna say that the Ikana Castle music is pretty darn fantastic.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 64 - I Have Some Questions

Welcome to the dance party!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Zombies are much less threatening when doing pirouettes

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I can't believe someone wouldn't like Ikana, it's clearly one of the most atmospheric and memorable places in the whole series.

Just to mention, since Link's jump distance is directly proportional to the velocity he runs off a ledge unlike in OoT, if you only need a bit of extra distance you can roll off the edge instead of messing with the Bunny Hood.

There's no upper limit to it either so standing on the edge and using the recoil from a bomb explosion will send Link off for quite a leap.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Merry Christmas, friends! Here's an early update as my gift to you, and also because I'll be visiting my girlfriend between christmas and new year and won't be able to post any until like the 2nd

Episode 65 - Can I Unlearn This?

also in the holiday spirit, have a bonus episode!! If you're playing/watching blind along with me then only watch this once you've finished the main episode. I both forgot arrows and went to the wrong place in the beginning but the payoff is worth it I think!

Bonus 2 - Parade

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:aaa: That's amazing! I never knew that was a thing!

Merry Christmas!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Merry Christmas!

I love the creepy mirror shield face. They reused so many assets from OoT but decided to turn the shield into a screaming face, it's great

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The Redead doing the Cossack kick dance is the best, as is Fae instantly humming Hava Nagila (Not that you'd find many Jewish Cossacks).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nihilarian posted:

Merry Christmas!

I love the creepy mirror shield face. They reused so many assets from OoT but decided to turn the shield into a screaming face, it's great

To be fair, they kinda had to. The old mirror shield is a polished hylian shield which wouldn't fit in Majora's Mask. Though I doubt too many people would mind/care, but since they did at least have a modelling team creating some new assets it was probably fairly easy to slap together a new shield.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
In the well, there was mention in one of the well videos of offering a fresh salad to one of one of the gibdos, and that got me to thinking...would the Deku Princess count or would that be too dark even for Majora's Mask?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The thing from the Bonus video is something I never knew about, despite 100%ing Majora's Mask half a dozen times.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft6PkWRj00A

Merry Christmas Fae! :3:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

huh, for some reason I can't find the gif I made any more, only the tweet since discord died during the video so I couldn't directly subject Fae to it.
https://twitter.com/feyerbrandx/status/931975198022217729

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
What server of FF14 do you play on, and what job is your main? This is vital.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I'm a bard on Cactuar along with some friends I started a free company with!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I had completely forgotten about this until I saw you equip that mask and go into the boss room. God this game is weird (in the best way)

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Faerie Fortune posted:

I'm a bard on Cactuar along with some friends I started a free company with!

On a scale of 1/10 how catgirl are you

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

none at all, I'm a dragon lady because they look loving rad

also! I am currently in a train station waiting for my train home so there might be an episode tomorrow, if not then Friday for sure, I'm sure you're all dying to see my reactions to actually having to use these awful puppets to make progress

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know it's the server name, but now I want FF14 to have cactaur-riding bards.

They'd be singing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7y_9OCCqHM

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

Bruceski posted:

I know it's the server name, but now I want FF14 to have cactaur-riding bards.

They'd be singing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7y_9OCCqHM

If they're riding cactuars, they're probably singing this instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LGTEI1RMoQ

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FrankZP posted:

If they're riding cactuars, they're probably singing this instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LGTEI1RMoQ

I've seen the video/song that clip is cut from and it raises even more questions.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

ahahaha I'm so bad at this, I got pneumonia and then suicidal ideation, its fun being me! Here's an episode

Episode 66 - Don't Look Down

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Artix's confidence that Stone Tower is not a steaming pile of hot garbage is amusing. That climb by itself is bullshit. But I will concede the music is great

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I mean, Stone Tower is kinda bland and dumb, but Stone Tower Temple? I will *fight* you. :colbert:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Bring it on, little man :black101:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I can bench press my girlfriend, I got your back Artix let's fuckin' battle

(I love the stone temple a lot, even if it really did gently caress with my sense of direction on more than one occasion)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The climb sucks, but you only have to do it once and I remember the proper dungeon being better. Definitely not as frustrating as having to make racing jumps at the end of Snowhead multiple times.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've never heard the fan theory about the Tower before, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who assumes that no theory is too insane for Zelda's fanbase. :allears:

Mostly because my main exposure to Zelda fan theories is people making hilariously convoluted timeline theories that start looking like Timecube after a while, but still.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So hi, friends! I have an announcement to make!

We are nearing the end of our journey, with the most recent recording session having me complete stone tower temple, all we have left to do is get the salesman's mask and get back home to Hyrule. And I want you guys to be there with me when I do it!

For those who don't remember my OoT LP, for that game I streamed the final boss battle live so folks in chat could cheer me on and watch my live reaction to the ending of the game! We're keeping the tradition and doing the same thing this time! Its gonna be a great time, but a reminder that this will be the final boss and ending cutscenes so if you're watching blind along with me, we are a fair bit ahead of the videos that I've posted in here!

Speaking of times, if you want to be a part of this you can join in at my twitch channel this Saturday, March 3rd at 1pm EST/10am PST/6pm GMT! Don't worry if you miss it, the stream will be posted as an episode just like the OoT version was! I'll see you all on Saturday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
To be clear, there is still a bunch of optional stuff that we will absolutely still be tackling, including getting the rest of the masks (and maybe Stone Tower fairies?), but since it drops you back at the start of the cycle after beating the game anyway, we kicked around the idea of just powering through now. Hope to see you there!