Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Vileneuve is competent and technically skilled, but doesn’t have the mind of a visionary, so his version will probably suck, although he did fine adapting a Chiang novella and making a sequel to Blade Runner, another movie from a competent yet close minded director.
Lynch’s Dune just needs to be recut. Omit all explanations and voiceovers, add all the scenes Lynch had to cut due to duration concerns. Shuffle a few things around at the beginning. Blaze up. Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DebonaireD posted:

Villenueve is a haaaack
Wrong

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The spacing guild might know where Earth is, but without computers and with 10,000 years of planet hopping, it's not that surprising most people don't. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if everyone's star charts are total fiction and only the guild knows where everything really is.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sekenr posted:

Considering how the footnotes in the books claim that Atreides family descend from Atreus or Agamemnon, earth is either a half-forgotten legend or the books is a fantasy universe where real earth history doesnt apply.

I personally think earth could be anything and they forgot which planet it is over millenia.

Even the footnotes are written from the perspective within the universe rather than being a definitive voice-of-god. It's probably just like how the Julians claimed to be descendants of Aphrodite and since they had power it was regarded as fact.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool trivia about space travel in dune:

folding space predates discovery of the spice, and navigators aren't used to actually fold the space, but to use their prescience to keep the spacecraft from colliding with astrological objects as space is folded.

before the discovery of spice, they lost i think like a third of their ships folding space

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I've only read the first book, and some of God-Emperor, but I'm really enjoying reading this thread.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Vileneuve is competent and technically skilled, but doesn’t have the mind of a visionary, so his version will probably suck, although he did fine adapting a Chiang novella and making a sequel to Blade Runner, another movie from a competent yet close minded director.
Lynch’s Dune just needs to be recut. Omit all explanations and voiceovers, add all the scenes Lynch had to cut due to duration concerns. Shuffle a few things around at the beginning. Blaze up. Enjoy.

What's funny is that having only seen the movie a few years ago, I'm not that much of a fan! It feels oddly airless, dumbed down version of something that might just be downright unfilmable.

The production design was top notch tho. Combining that with the vibrancy of the Children of Dune miniseries would be amazing.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dune miniseries was insanely bad

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

paul_soccer10 posted:

folding space predates discovery of the spice, and navigators aren't used to actually fold the space, but to use their prescience to keep the spacecraft from colliding with astrological objects as space is folded.

before the discovery of spice, they lost i think like a third of their ships folding space
correct. they fold space with holtzmann engines.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
keep in mind before denis villeneuve, the last director touted for a dune film project was peter berg

director of such films as deepwater horizon, lone survivor, and battleship

i'll take villeneuve

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are holtzman engines the magic devices that enable all the futuretech like suspensors and shields?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yeah I mean wtf

^ holtzman effect is suspensors and shields I think

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

paul_soccer10 posted:

I thought they originally used Thinking Machines to plan the flights and the use of spice was a substitute for them after trying to do it manually wasn't working

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defiance Industries posted:

I thought they originally used Thinking Machines to plan the flights and the use of spice was a substitute for them after trying to do it manually wasn't working

oh ya that makes sense i think this is accurate

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
D U N E

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
another thing i don't think i saw brought up in the "why don't they use lasguns on shields to make explosions more often" talk is that if i remember right civilian casualties are also a pretty big taboo. like not as severe as the use of atomics but there's basically a big space convention on "don't loving get innocent civilians killed over your stupid loving blood feuds" and that's why it's called the "war of assassins", because they have to do all this sneaky bullshit instead of just figuring out the best way to plant a big bomb

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also my worthless amateur psychoanalysis of God Emperor of Dune is that when Leto II is lamenting how he cannot bang the super hot space lady, it's ol' Frank perving on some younger lady and wishing he could be young again. but obviously there's more to the book than that

i only read all six books once, back in high school. the readthroughs since then I've stopped after God Emperor, but i recently picked up Heretics and Chapterhouse so next time i'm gonna read all six.

if you're looking for other good Frank Herbert space stories i seem to recall Whipping Star and The Dosadi Experiment to be good books

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Competent and technically skilled but lacking any artistic vision is the very definition of a hack, last I checked. See also "workman-like" directing. These are not words you can attribute to David Lynch. Arrival was fine but it was like an episode of TNG stretched out over two hours. I kept waiting for any more ideas to show up in that movie but they just had a basic premise and stretched it way past the point of interest. That movie is kinda boring. The new blade runner, though... yeesh. I couldnt remember the last time I'd seen such an emotionally inert movie. The original seems vibrant and full of life and humor by comparison. The plot was corny, the pontificating speeches were corny, the super spooky jared leto character was laughable, and the last minute rebellion plot line was like something out of the sci fi channel.
That one scene in arrival where the alien shows up in her room in that dream/vision was kinda trippy and creepy so maybe there's a distant hope for an appropriately unsettling dune. But what's he gonna do, out-weird Lynch? Don't get your hopes up.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
too late theyre already way up

sicaro was real good
prisoners was good
arrival was good
blade runner was pretty good, and visually beautiful
i havent seen enemy, but i hear its good

D U N E 2018 babey. it better be twice as long as blade runner 2049

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DebonaireD posted:

Competent and technically skilled but lacking any artistic vision is the very definition of a hack, last I checked. See also "workman-like" directing. These are not words you can attribute to David Lynch. Arrival was fine but it was like an episode of TNG stretched out over two hours. I kept waiting for any more ideas to show up in that movie but they just had a basic premise and stretched it way past the point of interest. That movie is kinda boring. The new blade runner, though... yeesh. I couldnt remember the last time I'd seen such an emotionally inert movie. The original seems vibrant and full of life and humor by comparison. The plot was corny, the pontificating speeches were corny, the super spooky jared leto character was laughable, and the last minute rebellion plot line was like something out of the sci fi channel.
That one scene in arrival where the alien shows up in her room in that dream/vision was kinda trippy and creepy so maybe there's a distant hope for an appropriately unsettling dune. But what's he gonna do, out-weird Lynch? Don't get your hopes up.

The Wrongest Post

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i don't think D U N E is as deep as people make it out to be so villineuve is fine. it's space opera basically.

and i'm a huge dune fan.

also i looked it up and confirmed navigators use holtzman engines.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Are Toto gonna be blasting out power chords while Paul conquers the worm? No? Then who gives a shiiiitt
Dune is good because its like the one sci fi franchise that isnt pro fascist and doesnt have a deep problem with women

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DebonaireD posted:

Are Toto gonna be blasting out power chords while Paul conquers the worm? No?

U never know

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I haven't read the books but aren't the major behind-the-scenes bad guys an order of women-only ninja space nuns or something?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DebonaireD posted:

Dune is good because its like the one sci fi franchise that isnt pro fascist and doesnt have a deep problem with women

This is a strange post and a bizarre claim.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DebonaireD posted:

Dude what

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Also I haven't read the books but aren't the major behind-the-scenes bad guys an order of women-only ninja space nuns or something?

The Bene Gesserit. The major inspiration for which, if I remember correctly, was Frank Herbert growing up around a bunch of older catholic women.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They fall into the trap of "women use sex to control men and make them do things!"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

paul_soccer10 posted:

dune miniseries was insanely bad

The Dune miniseries but not the Children one. James Mcavoy was insanely charasmatic and it had pretty suprising level of production leve and the like.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DebonaireD posted:

Dude watch enemy.

And 2049 was a triumph regarding trying to follow like the most influential sci fi movie of all time and getting almost universal approval for doing it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dune is less fascist than a lot of sci-fi but Herbert was pretty conservative I think

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Lmao at the dude who hates Villenvue and also the guy who said Herbert had no problem with women.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

Lmao at the dude who hates Villenvue and also the guy who said Herbert had no problem with women.

Best part? Same guy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Lefty sci-fi writers have utopias or at least resistance to the fascist order.

Herbert: nope. just feudalism and tyrannical sandworm gods lol (also this is a bad thing but you're hosed still)

so Herbert is interesting

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The bene gesserit are not the bad guys, that's the emperor and the harkonnen. The witches are power brokers, royal advisors, commandos and the secret orchestrators of galactic events on the millenial scale. They hold all the cards and its not exactly clear that Paul is frustrating their carefully laid plans. They have the last lines in the book.
Frank Herbert dearly loved his wife and stopped writing after she died. She and him are the probable inserts for the final super power characters at the end of chapterhouse. I mean, you have to put all this in the context of the burgeoning feminist movement of the time that writers like Asimov ignored and Herbert embraced. I mean christ guys it feels like we're not even reading the same book here

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Best part? Same guy

Ahahaha

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
My biggest problem with stillsuits is why the gently caress are they black on a desert planet. Black absorbs heat!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

They're white on the old, old book covers.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DebonaireD posted:

The bene gesserit are not the bad guys, that's the emperor and the harkonnen. The witches are power brokers, royal advisors, commandos and the secret orchestrators of galactic events on the millenial scale. They hold all the cards and its not exactly clear that Paul is frustrating their carefully laid plans. They have the last lines in the book.
Frank Herbert dearly loved his wife and stopped writing after she died. She and him are the probable inserts for the final super power characters at the end of chapterhouse. I mean, you have to put all this in the context of the burgeoning feminist movement of the time that writers like Asimov ignored and Herbert embraced. I mean christ guys it feels like we're not even reading the same book here

i like this post, make more like it pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
He is right that Dune isn't fascist though.