Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
When promising land to an ally, does it count if the land goes to their subject nation?

Specifically if I promise land to Castile, and their PU junior Aragon is the one who gets it, will Castile be satisfied or will they call me a dirty liar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mechanical Ape posted:

When promising land to an ally, does it count if the land goes to their subject nation?

Specifically if I promise land to Castile, and their PU junior Aragon is the one who gets it, will Castile be satisfied or will they call me a dirty liar?

Hover over their icon on the warscore screen, it'll tell you if they're upset and why.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

uPen posted:

Hover over their icon on the warscore screen, it'll tell you if they're upset and why.

It won't tell you when they join in on the promise of land, but won't actually take any of the land you offer, go gently caress yourself Saxony.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

StealthArcher posted:

Doesn't half of the "top religion" stuff mostly coming down to having a means of stacking even more Core Cost reduction though?

the core creation is good, the monarch events are good, the tolerance is good.

but you don't get any core creation from an even better religion, orthodox. humanist orthodox is so good that rebels will lose support before they even know they're mad. a potential of -8 unrest in orthodox provinces, +3 tolerance of heretics and heathens, -10 years of seperatism (-5 unrest), before stacking whatever else you can find. when the unrest in your country is so low you can really start to go ham with overextension

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

It won't tell you when they join in on the promise of land, but won't actually take any of the land you offer, go gently caress yourself Saxony.

It would be really cool if you could actually plan out and decide these things before you start a war.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be really cool if you could actually plan out and decide these things before you start a war.
:ohdear: what a concept!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
This has certainly been asked 2 to 3 hundred thousand times but why the gently caress do my enemies constantly get spawns of 2k troops when i attack them despite them having no piety and no prestige, yes they are Pagan and I am Norse pagan but everything i've read says they need to have 200 piety to spawn free troops and apparently that's a complete lie?

Jesus christ what an annoying mechanic, especially since it doesnt tell you what the gently caress is happening.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I Love You! posted:

This has certainly been asked 2 to 3 hundred thousand times but why the gently caress do my enemies constantly get spawns of 2k troops when i attack them despite them having no piety and no prestige, yes they are Pagan and I am Norse pagan but everything i've read says they need to have 200 piety to spawn free troops and apparently that's a complete lie?

Jesus christ what an annoying mechanic, especially since it doesnt tell you what the gently caress is happening.

You're in the wrong Paradox thread, friend

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Well, poo poo

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

tbf, it is a poo poo mechanic.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Wafflecopper posted:

You're in the wrong Paradox thread, friend

drat and I just thought I had missed out on some updates to Norse Custom nations

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Found out that I'm real bad at Eu4 again

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I set up a Mingsplosion at the start of the game and Dali somehow managed to snag the mandate of heaven and then just sat on it for a couple of hundred years with their 5ish provinces. They even somehow managed to enact one mandate thing when I wasn't watching. But suddenly Ayutthaya declared for it, easily grabbed it and managed to hold on to it for several years before Wu (who always blobs the best) went to war over it. Wu were gaining ground when suddenly an event struck poor Ayutthaya for not being Chinese enough which among other things tanked their mandate down to zero. The one sided war ended in a curb stomp.

Wu's glory was short lived however as despite all of their tributaries, prosperity and stability they had one huge rear end in a top hat neighbor who slowly tanked their mandate and then used the combat penalties to beat the poo poo out of them and take almost all of their coastal provinces. :)

It's very tempting to chain declare war on their tributaries one by one when the dumbasses will happily step in to defend them so I can snag some more land each time.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 25, 2017

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The war to dismantle the ottomans and bring Jerusalem back into Christian hands is underway. Oh god they are so huge :(

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Affi posted:

The war to dismantle the ottomans and bring Jerusalem back into Christian hands is underway. Oh god they are so huge :(

Have some ~ottomanspiration~

Of course that's with my broken custom nation. :v:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Affi posted:

It'll be a nasty fight but look on the bright side: You would have won and it'll be only a few years, even if it felt like forty!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Affi posted:

Have faith friend!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Welcome to the club if you present your membership card at any participating Burger King they'll give you a free crown

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Welcome to the club if you present your membership card at any participating Burger King they'll give you a free crown

:nsavince:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

this is me when my annual "lets see if i can do ryukyu now" eventually fails

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i have like 2000 hours in this game and i didn't know how tolerance affects religious unity until just now

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's what makes humanism so overpowered. Never care about religion ever again

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

oddium posted:

i have like 2000 hours in this game and i didn't know how tolerance affects religious unity until just now

It's a relatively new mechanic, got added like a year ago maybe? Tolerance was really bad before that change.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How does it affect it? And why would anyone take religious ideas except for rp reasons?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Affi posted:

How does it affect it? And why would anyone take religious ideas except for rp reasons?

8 missionary coptic + deus vult, mostly.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Affi posted:

Taking religious gives you holy war casus beli, which is insanely good before you get imperialism if you’re surrounded by different religions. Also, with Copts for instance, you need to have some provinces be a certain religion, which means having high missionary conversion speed is good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Affi posted:

negative tolerance provinces do not contribute to religious unity at all, 0 tolerance contributes 25% of what they would if they were the state religion, +1 is %50, +2 is 75%, +3 is 100%

e: as for religious ideas, there's no cap to tolerance of the true faith and it has a base of +3, also deus vult is good

oddium fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 26, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Religious ideas used to be better when Deus Vult was one of the first ideas instead of the last one.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So how come the loving Ottomans can cross the sound? I might win anyway but its such a slog if I cant trap their armies in asia.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Affi posted:

So how come the loving Ottomans can cross the sound? I might win anyway but its such a slog if I cant trap their armies in asia.

Countries' armies can cross a blockaded strait if they own the provinces on both side. You can still do gamey poo poo like taking Corfu and trapping a giant army there, if you own the province.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Not own, but control. So if you siege down Constantinople and Edirne during the war you can blockade those straits normally.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Countries' armies can cross a blockaded strait if they own the provinces on both side. You can still do gamey poo poo like taking Corfu and trapping a giant army there, if you own the province.

Ugh that loving explains it. It worked in a different war and (I believe) it used to work a year ago or so but I guess I did have Constantinople and Edirne back then.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Affi posted:

Religious has a bunch of good events, most notable a crap ton of +1 stability.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't think of a single bad idea in the group too. Unlike other groups such as Offensive.

Mantis42 posted:

Religious ideas used to be better when Deus Vult was one of the first ideas instead of the last one.
On the seventh idea god rested and later punished everyone with a comet.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 26, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

offensive has like one bad idea. good second choice mil idea group, especially because the -5 years of seperatism/-1 national unrest policy

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's still two more than religious. I treat the tiny reduction in training time to be bad as well, a complete waste of the 400 mil point price tag. In my almost 1600 hours I can't remember ever being in a situation where I cared about that at all. :shrug:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the training time reduction is the bad one, what other one do you think is bad

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Extra prestige from land battles.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Extra prestige from land battles.

extra prestige = reduced AE impact which is really good when fighting a war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, it's been a while since I played EU4 and I was wondering how drastic the changes were since Mandate of Heaven? I see we have a new expansion pack as well, is it worth getting?