Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

When did Spongebob even begin airing? I'm 35 and I feel like i was at least 25 when it started, so waaaaayyy outside the target demographic. Did you still watch Nickelodeon into your mid/late twenties and tell your aunt about it for some reason? Or is she just one of those people who can't believe their nieces/nephews "are getting so tall!" (I'm kind of like that with my nieces & nephews...)

^^ Do adults actually make and distribute lists of what they want? I thought part of becoming an adult was figuring that poo poo out on your own, or at least stop caring.

Spongebob has been on for almost 20 years now. It is old enough to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Inspector 34 posted:

When did Spongebob even begin airing? I'm 35 and I feel like i was at least 25 when it started, so waaaaayyy outside the target demographic. Did you still watch Nickelodeon into your mid/late twenties and tell your aunt about it for some reason? Or is she just one of those people who can't believe their nieces/nephews "are getting so tall!" (I'm kind of like that with my nieces & nephews...)

^^ Do adults actually make and distribute lists of what they want? I thought part of becoming an adult was figuring that poo poo out on your own, or at least stop caring.

I think it started in the late 90s so I would’ve been ~13

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Why? Why do I trigger those drat security sensors, entering and exiting stores? It's never consistent if it'll go off or not. Devices on my person, phone or not, settings on my phone one way or another..

There's no way a phone can set those off. You probably have an article of clothing or something with an active tag somewhere in it. There's the obvious tag that the store itself adds, but sometimes items like jackets or purses will have tags embedded in them from the factory that don't all get deactivated by the cashier.

Either that or someone has hidden a security tag in one of your shoes, a classic prank.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

There's no way a phone can set those off. You probably have an article of clothing or something with an active tag somewhere in it. There's the obvious tag that the store itself adds, but sometimes items like jackets or purses will have tags embedded in them from the factory that don't all get deactivated by the cashier.

Either that or someone has hidden a security tag in one of your shoes, a classic prank.

Or if you have a security badge that you hold up to a sensor pad to unlock a door. Some of those have been known to set off store security systems.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Lemon posted:

The first one I get, but I don't see the issue with the second. If you've already bought them a gift, what does it matter if they add more to their list? Unless they're removing the item you've bought?

It's the fact that
1. it links back to the first peeve in that she only asks for fairly expensive items, most of which I can't afford so it doesn't matter what she's adding and
2. the fact that she couldn't just wait and send me one all-inclusive list closer to Christmas

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
My mother passed away a few years ago, but one thing I don't miss about her was the fact that I had told her 100+ times over the course of my life to not buy me clothes as gifts, because we didn't have the same taste, I never liked what she got me, and she was wasting her money -- this was said politely, angrily, kindly, sadly, gently, firmly -- and it didn't matter, she never listened to me, and she kept getting me clothes.

This meant every Christmas and birthday, we had to do this tired song and dance of her saying, "Now, I know you said not to get you clothes..." and me opening a box to find clothes I would never wear. Then I would get frustrated with her, and then she would act SO terribly hurt and disappointed in my reaction, and then I would have to comfort her and soothe her feelings, and then I would feel like a terrible person for being so ungrateful, and then I would get upset at her for repeatedly putting me in the position to feel like a terrible person all because she never loving listened to me when I said, "Please don't buy me clothes."

That's all she had to do: respect my wishes and not do something that she knew would upset me. But just like everything else I had asked her to stop doing because it upset or hurt me, she never stopped doing it.

So bless her heart, she had a lot of good qualities, but gently caress people who turn gift-giving into a minefield.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It's never even nice/high quality or even thoughtful clothes in my experience with people like that either. It's always "this was on sale for 2 bucks at walgreens and I thought of you" or something.

I'm pretty sure some people really enjoy making people feel guilty (my parents are definitely prime examples) and they are fishing for exactly that type of reaction. If the holidays don't have at least one shouting match/fight then that's just boring, they need some juicy drama to talk about until next year.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Re: lists.

I have a wishlist on Amazon. All year, anytime I see something online that I think, "hmm, I like this but I can't justify buying this for myself right now", it goes on the list. So when my parents and my husband's parents asked what I wanted for Christmas this year, I was ready with the link to my wishlist. I guess that wasn't good enough or something because they all still wanted to know specifically what I wanted, ignoring the list altogether (which is a peeve by itself).

Isn't the best part of opening presents the surprise? Where's the thrill if I know exactly what I'm getting already? Even if it's a pair of socks, as long as it's surprise socks I'll be happy!

I don't even need them to get me anything at all, but they insist and then make me feel guilty about being "hard to shop for" :saddowns:

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Dec 21, 2017

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rabbit Hill posted:

My mother passed away a few years ago, but one thing I don't miss about her was the fact that I had told her 100+ times over the course of my life to not buy me clothes as gifts, because we didn't have the same taste, I never liked what she got me, and she was wasting her money -- this was said politely, angrily, kindly, sadly, gently, firmly -- and it didn't matter, she never listened to me, and she kept getting me clothes.

This meant every Christmas and birthday, we had to do this tired song and dance of her saying, "Now, I know you said not to get you clothes..." and me opening a box to find clothes I would never wear. Then I would get frustrated with her, and then she would act SO terribly hurt and disappointed in my reaction, and then I would have to comfort her and soothe her feelings, and then I would feel like a terrible person for being so ungrateful, and then I would get upset at her for repeatedly putting me in the position to feel like a terrible person all because she never loving listened to me when I said, "Please don't buy me clothes."

That's all she had to do: respect my wishes and not do something that she knew would upset me. But just like everything else I had asked her to stop doing because it upset or hurt me, she never stopped doing it.

I don't know how we never met, but it sounds like we have/had the same mother. They sound so much alike we could be siblings.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Who the gently caress are you friends with, because these behaviours are cartoonishly awful?

I cannot think of ANYONE who would do these things besides literal children.

My parents were both like this when I was growing up. They would make each other lists of what they wanted. Then, if my mother didn't get something that was on the list, there would be an apocalyptic fight.

No wonder I loathe christmas.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My peeve is people not being appreciative of gifts. If I got a pink bunny suit my parents were going to make drat sure I thanked my aunt for it. I understand not wanting people to waste their money on stuff you won't use, but sometimes that comes across as "Ugh, I wanted a gameboy not SOCKS!" Not that that's how any of you sound, but I'm sure you all know people who are just greedy little shits who don't appreciate anything.

One of my ex girlfriends' family actually made this stuff a part of their Christmas though and all of the clothes they got went immediately into a keep or return pile. Receipts were always included with clothes, and in a week or so they would make a family day of heading to the mall to return/exchange all of their stuff at the same time.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
Speaking of people being ungrateful: I hate when people don't appreciate handmade gifts. I've entirely given up making things for certain people because they'd rather have a bag of candy or whatever bullshit toy/gadget/article of clothing someone else found in the Walmart clearance bin. I got sick of making something I was sure they were gonna love, that was actually useful and unique and suited to their tastes, then seeing it get tossed into the pile of cheap bullshit they'd forget about the next day. My entire step-family is like this... it's all about the volume of presents under the tree, so just pile as much poo poo in there as possible!

But in cases like Rabbit Hill's mom, I think it's entirely reasonable to tell someone "hey, just so you know, I'd rather not receive gifts like this" especially if they're close family, and if someone gets that feedback and still keeps giving you poo poo they know you won't enjoy, that's pretty lovely on their part.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Nettles Coterie posted:

Speaking of people being ungrateful: I hate when people don't appreciate handmade gifts. I've entirely given up making things for certain people because they'd rather have a bag of candy or whatever bullshit toy/gadget/article of clothing someone else found in the Walmart clearance bin. I got sick of making something I was sure they were gonna love, that was actually useful and unique and suited to their tastes, then seeing it get tossed into the pile of cheap bullshit they'd forget about the next day. My entire step-family is like this... it's all about the volume of presents under the tree, so just pile as much poo poo in there as possible!

But in cases like Rabbit Hill's mom, I think it's entirely reasonable to tell someone "hey, just so you know, I'd rather not receive gifts like this" especially if they're close family, and if someone gets that feedback and still keeps giving you poo poo they know you won't enjoy, that's pretty lovely on their part.

This reminds me of the peeve I have in a friend (ex-coworker FB 'friend') who sucks at making things, but won't stop making horrible 'wire sculptures' that look like high school reject art, and insisting I go hang out so he can give me more gifts. He's embedded in internet (DeviantArt) culture that will praise anything and everything you do, but that doesn't work in real life when you have no eye or skill for making anything. There's also bead work that looks like it's from an old folks home, and nightmare cooking.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who realize they are doing something that's annoying you and that realization makes them do it more. Then when you snap at them they get all pouty wondering why you're so mad etc.

also known as: being home for the holidays.

Tied to this: Just this mindset in the first place. People doing something when they're obviously trying to set you off but acting like they're doing you a favor just so they can have a martyr moment. I refuse to even play that game anymore

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rodbeard posted:

I'm 31 and multiple people still expect me to make them a Christmas list. It's a pain because when I was a kid I could just ask for a bunch of video games but now I barely have time for my steam library as it is. I end up just holding off on buying some of the stuff I need toward the end of the year just to have stuff to ask for.

Same. It's nice to get gifts I guess but I literally just don't care. Holidays are an excuse for our family to eat good food together and hang out, I don't really have a need for physical things that I can't afford myself. I understand where people asking for wishlists are coming from because it's nice to buy people stuff but I can barely even think of anything

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who realize they are doing something that's annoying you and that realization makes them do it more. Then when you snap at them they get all pouty wondering why you're so mad etc.

also known as: being home for the holidays.

Ugghhhhhh my boyfriend does this. With farting. He stopped the for months the first time we (re-)got together but he's starting it again. It's annoying and disgusting and he know it pisses me off. He says "I can't help it" and "if you don't fart during the farts will just come out at night." Bullshit, I worked 2 jobs with him where he/we had to spent many hours around people and he never did it then, and I highly doubt he does it at his new job. Dude, you can hold in farts; or, if you're desperate, you can do a silent-possibly deadly one. And I can hear him forcing it out, too.

He's a child and immature in many ways but still I'm gonna make him a Christmas card that doesn't have immature stuff on it.

E: hate Christmas/holidays sooooooo much. Mid November to Dec25 is my yearly, year and a half of hate. My job has a pretty good soundtrack (retail) but they've now interspersed it with Christmas songs. I really think I said this already but I am very upset about it so oh well. There's some songs by 3 different artists that plays, it is super annoying.

E2: I literally just remembered that, as a 5th grade kid, our class had to go to some auditorium and sing Christmas songs, so me and a bad kid who didn't like Christmas songs either (but we never even talked to each other before this-clique and all) Sung hosed up lyrics to the songs like "joy to the world, cause it is dead, we killed it up with bombs" and so on. I can't remember the exact song but there was one about Santa where we sung about him dying.

We had to go to this thing @ 8pm and would fail the semester if we didn't go (apart from legit reasons like health and such).

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Dec 22, 2017

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

E: hate Christmas/holidays sooooooo much. Mid November to Dec25 is my yearly, year and a half of hate. My job has a pretty good soundtrack (retail) but they've now interspersed it with Christmas songs. I really think I said this already but I am very upset about it so oh well. There's some songs by 3 different artists that plays, it is super annoying.

Having to deal with this just going to the store is bad enough. I honestly feel sorry for anybody who works retail during this time of the year. Having to deal with the customers is bad enough, but having to do it with annoying music constantly playing in the background would make me go postal.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Inspector 34 posted:

My peeve is people not being appreciative of gifts. If I got a pink bunny suit my parents were going to make drat sure I thanked my aunt for it. I understand not wanting people to waste their money on stuff you won't use, but sometimes that comes across as "Ugh, I wanted a gameboy not SOCKS!" Not that that's how any of you sound, but I'm sure you all know people who are just greedy little shits who don't appreciate anything.

Oh, you've met my sister! She makes a list of expensive makeup she wants, and god help you if you buy anything else. Our mum used to try to buy her a couple nice surprises every year until last year where she worked really hard to buy things she thought my sister would like, and she immediately turned around and said 'like, thanks, you can return all this stuff now :downs:'. I mean, sure, logically that's better than just stuffing it in a cupboard, but...goddamn, have a little tact.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

My family is somehow in denial about me not participating in gift exchanges. Like, instead of just being mad at me for being an rear end in a top hat, they act genuinely shocked and surprised year after year after year for 15+ years running.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've prolly kvetched about this before, sorry, but my technological pet peeve is standby memory.

I've heard it all. Standby memory is harmless. Windows will release it when and if it needs to. There's no need for stuff like RAMMAP to clear standby memory.

I mean, that's all true... except that I can tell just by the degree my hard drive is active and my game's framerate is dropping that Resource Monitor will be telling me that 3/4ths of my 16gig is in standby memory. That when I use RAMMAP to clear it, everything else I'm doing on my computer will only then decide to actually allocate some of the suddenly-not-in-standby-anymore memory to tasks, and all of that disk usage and framerate stuff will vanish.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
My peeve is something that is more than a peeve but I'm sure it's understood why: People who try to bitch out retail workers. I have on a number of occasions witnessed some asshat (it always seems to be older people) starting to yell and scream at cashiers/merchandisers/counter workers and every time I step in and tell them "this worker can't talk back and tell you what an rear end in a top hat you are, but I sure as gently caress can". Every time without fail their balls shrivel up and hide inside them as soon as they are called out on their child like actions.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
My dad was so hard to buy for. He would claim he didn't want anything but would get so excited when we opened presents. Then he would be disappointed by what he got because we had to guess. But didn't we know what he liked? Sure, but he would have already bought it for himself before Christmas.

Although it was amusing when he would act surprised at what I got, even though the box was marked "From Dad". But I think that's nearly all fathers.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

E2: I literally just remembered that, as a 5th grade kid, our class had to go to some auditorium and sing Christmas songs, so me and a bad kid who didn't like Christmas songs either (but we never even talked to each other before this-clique and all) Sung hosed up lyrics to the songs like "joy to the world, cause it is dead, we killed it up with bombs" and so on. I can't remember the exact song but there was one about Santa where we sung about him dying.

We had to go to this thing @ 8pm and would fail the semester if we didn't go (apart from legit reasons like health and such).

what the gently caress

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

People on Discord who change their avatar and name at the same time. I can't tell who the hell you're supposed to be!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate the random numbers in discord usernames, because I had to change my account a few months ago as it was connected to the wrong email (one that I cannot access) so I couldn't reset the password, and it was almost impossible to find the goons I was in contact with. I got lucky, but at least one hasn't responded to my friend request sent months ago.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
For years we sent my in-laws food for Christmas, because they were poor and often snowed in. We thought they appreciated it. When our nephew came to visit, he said they threw most of it away because it wasn't brands they liked.

Saved us a fortune because now they get nothing.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

"Every word you just said was wrong" looks like it's becoming the latest catchphrase. Thanks, Luke!

(or maybe it's just limited to CineD, one can only hope)

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Aesop Poprock posted:

what the gently caress

Yeah broke rear end inner city school, maybe it was mandated because we were singing to a company gathering so they probably got money from it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Seventh Arrow posted:

"Every word you just said was wrong" looks like it's becoming the latest catchphrase. Thanks, Luke!

(or maybe it's just limited to CineD, one can only hope)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bYlxqWRe3M

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When people obviously don’t want something and don’t say that but instead give a reason for why it can’t happen. Not big stuff either, little things. We have a Christmas pig that lights up I think is cute and I wanted to set it out somewhere for when family comes over. I said let’s put it here but there’s no room. Well then here but it’s not fitting in with the decor. It’s obvious you don’t want the pig out because you’re going to find a reason why everyplace is no good. Just say it. But you don’t want to be the bad guy.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
One time, for a reason I can't recall, I had to type the name Andre into my phone. Now, every single time I type the word "and" it auto corrects to Andre. gently caress you phone.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

One time, for a reason I can't recall, I had to type the name Andre into my phone. Now, every single time I type the word "and" it auto corrects to Andre. gently caress you phone.

I’m used to using androids but don’t really give a poo poo about using iPhones but my nice newer android broke and I’m using an iPhone that’s a few years old and it is aggressively terrible and fights me every step of the way. It will just randomly decide it can’t copy links, especially image links which makes trying to post pictures here on it frustrating, it doesn’t remember where I’m at on any website if I go to another tab and deletes anything I had written, and it will refuse to let me change certain words because it’s sure it’s right. It’s like my phone is an aggressive Alzheimer’s patient and I am going to kill it with my rage when I buy a new one

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Drove home around 1am after Chrimbo, passed three cars on the backstreets with no streetlights. None of those dickheads turned their high beams off. Thanks for blinding me you pricks, I hope a kangaroo jumped in front of your car. :argh:

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The way Christmas is celebrated in the US nowadays. All this build-up for an entire month and then bam, its over in one day. People take their lights and decorations and trees down on the 26th. Christmas is actually supposed to be 12 days, starting on the 25th and lasting until January 6th. Thats where the "12 Days of Christmas" comes from. Christmas Day is actually the start of the celebrations. My family still leaves our stuff out until the 6th, or whenever is convenient after the New Year. We're not even Catholic or particularly religious. It just seems like a better way to do it because its lame to have all this to-do and hype for one day and then immediately yank everything down. Let it breathe a little, y'know?

The problem is that, in the US, "Christmas Time" pretty much starts on Thanksgiving Day, so by the time Christmas Day arrives we've been inundated with Christmas crap for a loving month. But thats not a healthy way to do it. To me it always made sense to leave everything up until after New Year. Ive always mentally considered the Holidays to last until New Years anyway.

Of course for those of you who hate Christmas this is probably annoying as gently caress to you, lol

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
When people (especially adult people who shouldn’t ever have occasion to display the immaturity that usually accompanies this atrocity) say “wanoo/wan-oo” instead of “want to” as in the following fictional exchange:

“You’d better do [thing] if you want [advantageous outcome].”

“But I don’t wanoooo.”

“Wanna” doesn’t bug me as much. And I’m okay with toddlers being this dramatic/lazy about how words are said. But when a grown-rear end human uses that pronunciation, especially coupled with that whiny tone, I get very upset.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blue Star posted:

The way Christmas is celebrated in the US nowadays. All this build-up for an entire month and then bam, its over in one day. People take their lights and decorations and trees down on the 26th.

I don't know a single person who doesn't leave their poo poo up til at least January usually out of pure laziness

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I saw christmas poo poo going up before halloween, and ads for boxing day sales on like two weeks ago. Christmas has always been over-commercialized, but this year it feels like they're not even bothering to pretend we don't live in a purely capitalist wasteland

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please refer to it by its proper name of CHRISTmas

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Danaru posted:

I saw christmas poo poo going up before halloween, and ads for boxing day sales on like two weeks ago. Christmas has always been over-commercialized, but this year it feels like they're not even bothering to pretend we don't live in a purely capitalist wasteland

Right, I always feel like it can't get worse and every year it's a little longer, a little louder, and a little more plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I saw a lot of posts on Facebook from friends of friends, or people I vaguely associated with in high school, about the "war on Christmas" and that pisses me right off. What a bunch of loving babies. You're not being "persecuted" just because people want to be a little more inclusive of other cultures or religions. Say "Merry Christmas" if you want to, nobody is going to stone you or whatever the gently caress you imagine is happening.

These are the same people who get upset over the red Starbucks cups every year and I can't imaging a more butthurt group of people. Don't you have anything better to do?