Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You all have funny ways of spelling Vulkan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
https://youtu.be/medYpKTrBAQ

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

that's cool as gently caress

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

OhDearGodNo posted:

Thanks- I think I need to get back in and finish painting the vehicles. I took a break to do my travel army (white scars) but maybe it's time to switch back for a bit.

I looked but lost my pie charts, however I can give you a quick rundown:

Beastmen troops: obtain a beastmen box, and catachan box. The beastman's chest is puffed out. This means that the standard rifle pose of any of the human guardsmen won't work. You can use a single body if it's a pictol and melee weapon, or for unique ideas (I used the large horns from the beastmen box for the dudes with vox casters for example). For the vast majority, you're going to replace the torso of the beastman with the torso of the catachan. Take your trusty jeweler's saw, and cut the beastman in half at the waist- try to do it around the narrowest part. Use files/mould line remover/knife to smooth it out, and affix the catachan torso. They don't fit perfectly, so you'll need to green stuff the joint and sculpt it back into a single body. I like to sculpt the GS as an extending of fur up the abdomen to help.

Here is an early close-up

The stormtroopers are MUCH easier. Just cut the beastman in half again. You need to "open" the armor flaps at the base of the Scion's torso a little, but after that it's fairly straightforward.

The Bullgryns:

Nork:

Thanks. They're very cool.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

that's cool as gently caress

I too got hard.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Does there exist some kind of program that will make Magic card sized data sheets of my units for easy reference during a game? I printed out my Battle Scribe sheets, but fumbling through six sheets of paper to find the value I need is frustrating.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I hope this becomes a thing. Seen so many fan trailers that never end up done, it’s safe to remain cautiously optimistic

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

BJPaskoff posted:

Does there exist some kind of program that will make Magic card sized data sheets of my units for easy reference during a game? I printed out my Battle Scribe sheets, but fumbling through six sheets of paper to find the value I need is frustrating.

I use Snagit to select and copy the data sheets from pdf. I then paste them into a normal document file, fitting a few to a page, and laminate.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Goose Willis probated, a Christmas miracle.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Bombogenesis posted:

Hope y'all had a good holiday time, Hams thread.

Got a Stormsurge, Wraithknight, Triumvirate of Ynnead, Start Collecting: Tau, a Hammerhead, a Devilfish, a Tau Commander, the large GW case and DoW 3...my Christmas was pretty good.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

:suspense:

This is what you show people when they ask what this game is about.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Had a game last Friday wherein my brother in law tried to figure out null deploy/go-second advantage. It did not go well. I won something like 13-5 because the mission was 1pt per objective held and/or unit killed per turn, and my Cult and gribblies could pop up everywhere. Highlights include my spending the entire game unsuccessfully trying to down a Ghostkeel that gave no fucks, some Genestealers wrecking a squad of Fire Warriors and half of a Broadside before being absolutely shot to poo poo, and watching a 200 pt unit that GW tries to sell as a baller melee monster (Haruspex) go down in one turn after only killing a single Stealth Suit.

In good news, using more vehicles for the Genestealer Cult and leaving actual 'Stealers and Broodlords to Nids seems to do the trick: your opponents can stay in CC with Rending Claws or they can back away to get blasted by tank fire while your big bugs close in for the kill.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

:suspense:

This is what you show people when they ask what this game is about.

:same:, holy drat. Fully animated in UE4, it appears.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Corrode posted:

GW tournaments require canon Chapters to use the 'proper' rules.

Tourneys having their own painting rules is fine, but also isn't the RAW. As long as my opponent isn't trying to get a game advantage by confusing opponents with their paint scheme, why do I care?

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 26, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Liquid Communism posted:

Tourneys having their own painting rules is fine, but also isn't the RAW. As long as my opponent isn't trying to get a game advantage by confusing opponents with their paint scheme, why do I care?

This is factually incorrect. The codices are explicit that (for example) Ultramarines should use the Ultramarines tactics, and even that successors with known founding Chapters should use their founder's tactics. Only successors with no clear founder are suggested to choose a tactic from the table. Since the only thing that marks out one Chapter from another is the paint scheme, the necessary logical followup is that you're supposed to use the "correct" Chapter for how you've painted your dudes. GW are strict about it at their own events, which suggests that's their interpretation too.

In the real world of course, the majority of people take the attitude that they don't mind. I don't care either - I've played against enough grey plastic nonsense armies in my time that if my opponent has bothered to paint their dudes to a reasonable standard I don't give the slightest poo poo what minor special rule they want to pick. But this whole "it's not RAW that I have to!!!" argument is silly, because any reasonable reading of the rules suggests exactly the opposite.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Cataphractii supremacy

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can Dark Angels use the Standard of the Emperor Ascendant?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can Dark Angels use the Standard of the Emperor Ascendant?

Is it in the Dark Angels codex?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

Is it in the Dark Angels codex?

Nope. But Dark Angels are Space Marines, so why wouldn't they be able to use Relics whose only requirement is that the Warlord be a Space Marine?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nope. But Dark Angels are Space Marines, so why wouldn't they be able to use Relics whose only requirement is that the Warlord be a Space Marine?

Presumably because the SM codex explicitly states that DAngels, Bangels and Wolves can't use the stuff in the warlord traits, stratagems, relics section of the book.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The requirement is for there to be a "Space Marines Warlord" and you can give them to any Space Marines CHARACTER.

Dark Angels are Dark Angels, not Space Marines, and their codex references "Dark Angels Warlord" and "Dark Angels CHARACTER" respectively.

bonds0097 posted:

Presumably because the SM codex explicitly states that DAngels, Bangels and Wolves can't use the stuff in the warlord traits, stratagems, relics section of the book.

Annoyingly that section does say Blood Angels and Space Wolves but doesn't mention DA by name. It does include the following handy text though which makes the point I was making above more explicitly:

"In the rules described in this section we often refer to 'Space Marines units'. This is shorthand for any ADEPTUS ASTARTES unit that has one of the following Faction keywords: <CHAPTER>, ULTRAMARINES, IMPERIAL FISTS, SALAMANDERS, WHITE SCARS, RAVEN GUARD, IRON HANDS, CRIMSON FISTS or BLACK TEMPLARS. A Space Marines detachment is therefore one which only includes units with one of these keywords.

Note that other Space Marine Chapters, such as the Blood Angels and the Space Wolves, deviate significantly in terms of organisation and fighting styles. These Chapters therefore cannot make use of any of the rules or abilities listed in this section, and instead have their own rules."

Living Image fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 26, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bonds0097 posted:

Got it, it was under "Space Marine Units" and DA are considered "Other Space Marines".

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Corrode posted:

This is factually incorrect. The codices are explicit that (for example) Ultramarines should use the Ultramarines tactics, and even that successors with known founding Chapters should use their founder's tactics. Only successors with no clear founder are suggested to choose a tactic from the table. Since the only thing that marks out one Chapter from another is the paint scheme, the necessary logical followup is that you're supposed to use the "correct" Chapter for how you've painted your dudes. GW are strict about it at their own events, which suggests that's their interpretation too.

In the real world of course, the majority of people take the attitude that they don't mind. I don't care either - I've played against enough grey plastic nonsense armies in my time that if my opponent has bothered to paint their dudes to a reasonable standard I don't give the slightest poo poo what minor special rule they want to pick. But this whole "it's not RAW that I have to!!!" argument is silly, because any reasonable reading of the rules suggests exactly the opposite.

Not to be a dick, but can you make with the rules quote?

I've been over my stuff and I'm not finding anything in C:SM or the 40k main beyond 'painting your models is a cool hobby'. The traits are keyed to faction keyword, not a paintjob.

Am I missing a line here somewhere?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

Not to be a dick, but can you make with the rules quote?

I've been over my stuff and I'm not finding anything in C:SM or the 40k main beyond 'painting your models is a cool hobby'. The traits are keyed to faction keyword, not a paintjob.

Am I missing a line here somewhere?

There isn't a specific rule linking paint to rules. What he's saying is that the rules state that if your Chapter is "Ultramarines" then you can't use benefits that are for White Scars, and that the only way to differentiate Chapters is by color scheme. Therefore the expectation ("necessary logical follow-up") is that if you have blue marines with giant U symbols all over then you should be using Ultramarine rules.

In reality there is no obligation so long as your list is clear. I don't recall any tournaments requiring it either. Very few people are going to care, and outside of Space Marines most people won't know what color scheme goes with which faction anyway.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Well that sucked, I needed to go exchange a crusader for a regular land raider at GW and i thought sweet I'll pick up Marbo if theres any left.

And they were loving closed.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Artum posted:

Well that sucked, I needed to go exchange a crusader for a regular land raider at GW and i thought sweet I'll pick up Marbo if theres any left.

And they were loving closed.

Wait, yeah my GW is closed Monday/Tuesdays. Is there a work around for this?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

No big event will prevent you from playing your Ultramarines as Imperial Fists, or whatever else you deem the superior chapter of the day.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
gimmie dem christmas leftovers!!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/26/the-second-day-of-nurgle-great-unclean-onegw-homepage-post-3/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That is an absurdly disgusting sculpt.

Well done GW!

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

BY THE EMPRAH.

Taking bets on what actually comes out first, this or The Lord Inquisitor.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Look at this gross rear end boy. Goddamn.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I love the little Nurgling just chilling on the Great Unclean One's shoulder.

I wonder if there's a promotion process, like every Great Unclean One started off as a Nurgling and just continued to please Papa Nurgle until he became big and awesome.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I just noticed the little fella in the lower right doing his best impression of the big guy, 10/10.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I love the little Nurgling just chilling on the Great Unclean One's shoulder.

I wonder if there's a promotion process, like every Great Unclean One started off as a Nurgling and just continued to please Papa Nurgle until he became big and awesome.

One of the GUO special characters did that, kinda.
Ku'gath was a runty Nurgling who fell into Nurgle's plague cauldron while big Papa N was brewing his most perfect plague. Lil' Ku'gath drank the entire thing and transformed into one of the most powerful GUO's ever and Nurgle just kinda laughed the entire thing off. Ku'gath on the other hand got a giant complex about it and now travels around trying to recreate the plague with what scraps of notes Nurgle kept around.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I should consider doing a Deathguard army once I have a core of Primaris done. So sometime around 9th edition.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I should consider doing a Deathguard army once I have a core of Primaris done. So sometime around 9th edition.

This is my plan. I assume another big release will hit before I get around to it. I just say whatever chaos faction is the newest at the time I am ready to paint an army, then I that is what I will begin.

Senjuro posted:

BY THE EMPRAH.

Taking bets on what actually comes out first, this or The Lord Inquisitor.

Neither will ever be finished fully.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 26, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
If they do the same AOS Khorne aesthetic in 40k, my wallet will be in trouble. Slaanesh and Khorne are my jam. Tzeeentch and Nurgle not so much.

Edit: I thought everyone's favorite was Foulspawn!

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 26, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

One of the GUO special characters did that, kinda.
Ku'gath was a runty Nurgling who fell into Nurgle's plague cauldron while big Papa N was brewing his most perfect plague. Lil' Ku'gath drank the entire thing and transformed into one of the most powerful GUO's ever and Nurgle just kinda laughed the entire thing off. Ku'gath on the other hand got a giant complex about it and now travels around trying to recreate the plague with what scraps of notes Nurgle kept around.

I'm guessing they're removing Ku'Gath from the rules (mainly because there's no way GW are going to make a new / upgrade kit just for him). The new 'special' GUO is called Rotigus.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm glad GW realized "The FW GUO is one of our most popular models ever, maybe we should just make a plastic version of him".

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I appreciate this turn of events, having been working through Death Guard now. Now I’ve got another awesome set of models to plan around for a Daemonic detachment just in time for their codex to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

gently caress yes that GUO