Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Thundarr posted:

My sam regularly does this with boring old normal combo hits. :colbert:

That's 13k on a normal hit Fire 4, I direct crit for something like 22k :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vermain posted:

Ah, yeah, I forgot about Chaos. It's relatively new, isn't it? I recall it only coming around last year or so.

Yeah, it's quite fresh.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, either way I only remember wiping once, though I myself died more than once due to feeling overwhelmed and failing to follow what was happening around me very well, especially as things fell apart.

It’s the first time I’ve done any kind of raid-related things in an MMO since City of Heroes, so. Uh. Yeah.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Ahh don't sweat it, you'll get there. I got severely stressed out by Satasha of all things when I played the open beta. As a thaumaturge.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, my more experienced friends were also falling all over the place because of the team falling apart, so it wasn’t just me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ahh don't sweat it, you'll get there. I got severely stressed out by Satasha of all things when I played the open beta. As a thaumaturge.

in fairness, people were clueless in open beta, sastasha is the first dungeon and it was a crap shot as to whether you'd get a bad or a super bad.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Chaos has always been around but for a long time it was in Canada with the NA servers despite being billed as EU. It's since been moved to Germany I think. It also got two new servers added around Stormblood's launch, Omega and Louisoix.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

in fairness, people were clueless in open beta, sastasha is the first dungeon and it was a crap shot as to whether you'd get a bad or a super bad.

I was with three friends but it was the first MMO I'd played outside of PSO/2.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

kirbysuperstar posted:

I was with three friends but it was the first MMO I'd played outside of PSO/2.

I really miss PSO

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I really miss PSO

We all do.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
This is an empty quote.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I really miss PSO

I can never forgive Sega for continually giving us lovely Sonic games and still no PSO2! :sassargh:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well, either way I only remember wiping once, though I myself died more than once due to feeling overwhelmed and failing to follow what was happening around me very well, especially as things fell apart.

It’s the first time I’ve done any kind of raid-related things in an MMO since City of Heroes, so. Uh. Yeah.

It's definitely not anything to stress over or feel bad about. LotA and Syrcus are both really overwhelming for new players coming into the game in the 4.X world, since the pace of fights is completely off what you'd have seen back in 2.X. King Behemoth used to be this 4 or 5 minute controlled fight where you had people tanking the Iron Giant off to the side, killing the bomb adds, draining the energy from the towers, and then hiding behind the meteors in a cycle. Nowadays, all of that's compressed down into about a minute and change, so it's incredibly confusing on your first run through. Only Xande and Phlegethon really emerged out the other side in a roughly similar state to 2.X, since their fights are heavily scripted.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I actually liked the original Phantasy Star games and kind of can't forgive Sega for not making another Phantasy Star Not-Online. Also, what the hell did they do to Shining Force?

But enough about that. I've found out that every sprout around is spamming ex trials for Christmas. Get in on that, guy who wanted to try pugging that poo poo. I got three ex trials in a row trying to do my mentor roulette! (Only one cleared.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ruta posted:

I actually liked the original Phantasy Star games and kind of can't forgive Sega for not making another Phantasy Star Not-Online. Also, what the hell did they do to Shining Force?

I wouldn't trust post-DC Sega to make a good classical PStar, tbh. Though I think Rieko Kodama is still there..

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not that I feel bad about it so much as everything was going wrong, and my relative inexperience didn't help much.

I talked to my friends to refresh my memory (and because they have a better eye for this stuff) and this is what happened:

quote:

- Tanks were aggroing through the ready check before other team members were even through the gates, and did a poor job of mitigating issues as they came up.
- Healers were flat out just not healing people, including having our alliance's white mage burn all her MP reserve partly through the first boss
- In the three way Atomos fight our tank was pulling every ADD while we were on the platform, and during the Behemoth fight pulling him on top of the boulders

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

TFRazorsaw posted:

quote:

and during the Behemoth fight pulling him on top of the boulders
Trap meteors are a sacred tradition. LotA remains the most entertaining 24-man specifically because there are ways to engage with the other alliances outside of just being a shitter and repeatedly killing yourselves.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Atomos remains the best fight in the game

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Potato Jones posted:

Trap meteors are a sacred tradition. LotA remains the most entertaining 24-man specifically because there are ways to engage with the other alliances outside of just being a shitter and repeatedly killing yourselves.

I don't know what any of this means.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't know what any of this means.

The reason I mentioned someone tanking the Iron Giant off to the side above is that their big frontal slash actually damages the meteors dropped on the ground that you have to hide behind to survive Ecliptic Meteor. A "trap meteor" is where people hide behind a meteor, thinking it's safe, and then someone pulls the Iron Giant over to it, it destroys the meteor, and everyone previously behind the meteor gets obliterated by Ecliptic.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

that sounds obnoxious

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Which would be vastly simplified if DPS could be hosed to switch targets to the iron giant for like three GCDs, of course.

Also, unclear from your wording what exactly your tank was doing on Atomos, but what they should be doing is snagging the adds and bringing them close enough to the platform for the ranged DPS and healers (who should be the ones on the platform) to hit them without stepping off the platform. The tank should not, of course, be one of the 4 people who are supposed to stay on the platform.

Wiping on Atomos is basically either a. people don't grasp the very basic concept of "stand on platform until platform stops glowing" (often either by "don't have enough on platform at all" or "mistakenly think their signal to step off platform is when their Atomos dies") or b. adds running amok, because unlike Atomos they actually hit back, and they buff each other if several are alive at once.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Or someone just drops a rock inside behemoth's circle and then the melee deeps that were stacking up behind that rock for maximum uptime get murdered.

Also for the atomos thing, the tank is supposed to grab the adds and pull them back to the pad. Otherwise you've got 4 people falling asleep in the back.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think I might be conveying what my friends were trying to tell me incorrectly. My apologies for that. Like I said, this was all new to me and I'm still having trouble understanding.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Brainamp posted:

Or someone just drops a rock inside behemoth's circle and then the melee deeps that were stacking up behind that rock for maximum uptime get murdered.
This is a trap meteor (trap ice on Amon in Syrcus Tower). The unaware or unsuspecting stack behind a barrier that is inside the boss's circle, meaning their attack still hits them. Deliberately destroying a meteor is too much effort, it's bad play, but getting people killed because they aren't paying attention, that is the real art.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, whatever these people were doing, I feel like they lost the claim to keeping the rest of the team on their toes when they were acting ahead of ready checks and the rest of the team so much as even GETTING to the boss.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

TFRazorsaw posted:

well, whatever these people were doing, I feel like they lost the claim to keeping the rest of the team on their toes when they were acting ahead of ready checks and the rest of the team so much as even GETTING to the boss.
That's fair, more or less, half and half. Part of the reason the old dungeons flow quickly is because the majority of players have done it a hundred times, so a ready check is a formality, a delay between now and the boss being dead. So if everyone is at the boss and nobody is pulling, that's a waste of time, but that means some people see it as, "I am at the boss, nobody has pulled, this is a waste of time, [Shoulder Tackle]."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Potato Jones posted:

That's fair, more or less, half and half. Part of the reason the old dungeons flow quickly is because the majority of players have done it a hundred times, so a ready check is a formality, a delay between now and the boss being dead. So if everyone is at the boss and nobody is pulling, that's a waste of time, but that means some people see it as, "I am at the boss, nobody has pulled, this is a waste of time, [Shoulder Tackle]."

It's honestly one of the most liberating things about leveling a tank. You finally can rightly just say "No gently caress all you" and pull the boss.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
MmmMMmm God yes Pissvale Leveling Roulette inject that poo poo right into my veins!

Oh gently caress thats the stuff.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

MmmMMmm God yes Pissvale Leveling Roulette inject that poo poo right into my veins!

Oh gently caress thats the stuff.

wanna see the skill usage pie chart for that blm

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Potato Jones posted:

That's the thing, we weren't all at the boss.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Kuvo posted:

wanna see the skill usage pie chart for that blm

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh god that hits the spot

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's the thing, we weren't all at the boss.
Right, which is Scenario 2 from my post; I see the boss, ergo, I must attack the boss.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
OK so i just logged in on my WAR for the first time in more than a year and what happened to my skill bars. Where's my providence

Where's my bloodbath

where the gently caress is my brutal swing

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh god what did they do to Berserk??

I think i'll just log out again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Oh god what did they do to Berserk??

Made it better?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Consider this: at level 70 Warrior gets to go to buzzsaw city for like 15 seconds

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It's like spatula city, but with way more murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I dunno about buzzsaw city, i'm still reeling here that they changed my base damage combo all around, and Maim doesn't give me the damage boost anymore. Aaaaaaaa

Not to mention i need to completely reorder my three hotbars, and read up on these new class skills. I really shouldn't be doing this at 2 in the morning