Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

The Lothric Knights are definitely Dark Souls as hell and will repeatedly kick your rear end when you first run into them. I think the shield bash they have that's perfectly engineered to hit you out of the "circle around to the right with your shield up" tactic everyone learned from the previous games is great.

The spear ones are kind of turtley so you cheese them by breaking through their guard with a few hits or a couple of kicks.

haha god drat i thought i was just bad at dark souls for not being able to kill those easily

i died to the first boss because i spent all my estus and mana healing up and didn't have anything left for him (still got him to like 10%), once i skipped those enemies i ended up 2 shotting him, then 1 shotting the rotted greatwood and 2 shot on crystal sage

those loving knights have killed me more than all the bosses i've fought, i tried to parry them a bunch and couldnt and eventually realised my fancy new 100% block shield didn't have a parry option :darksouls:

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Maleh-Vor posted:

Lothric Knights are made to punish Dark Souls 1 and 2 style play. You've been trained to circle around away from their weapons and backstab, and that's precisely what their shield bashes punish. It's funny the first few times, but generally just pretty rude and they're a lot harder than early enemies in other Souls games. The overall best tips are using the Stance weapon art on Long/Broadswords that breaks their guard, or two-handing your weapon and hitting them 3 times, or kicking their shield. Parrying them is also effective, but a risk as always.

But that's kind of the thing... Since I just came from Bloodborne I was trying to play it closer to that, moving in and out of combat and focusing on dodging and attacking when I had an opening instead of turtling and it backfired spectacularly.

The sword dudes I could deal with, since they have a 3-hit combo that leaves them open to getting a few hits in, but with the weapons I was using (the twin scimitars), the spear dudes were 100% bullshit. I couldn't kick their shields out of the way, my attacks would bounce off their shields and wreck my stamina since I didn't have a two-handed mode, and even if they didn't nail me mid-roll they'd recover from their attack animations before I could get a hit in.

I had to go back to the old DaS shield and board just to get past them. :<

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Edmond Dantes posted:

But that's kind of the thing... Since I just came from Bloodborne I was trying to play it closer to that, moving in and out of combat and focusing on dodging and attacking when I had an opening instead of turtling and it backfired spectacularly.

The sword dudes I could deal with, since they have a 3-hit combo that leaves them open to getting a few hits in, but with the weapons I was using (the twin scimitars), the spear dudes were 100% bullshit. I couldn't kick their shields out of the way, my attacks would bounce off their shields and wreck my stamina since I didn't have a two-handed mode, and even if they didn't nail me mid-roll they'd recover from their attack animations before I could get a hit in.

I had to go back to the old DaS shield and board just to get past them. :<

On my dex run with the twinblades you're likely using, I found I could deal with the spear knights by baiting their charge weapon art, and dodging through it towards their weapon arm, not their shield arm. Then I could punish it. They were rarely worth killing though, and I ended up just outright skipping them, which is always a valid tactic in Dark Souls. I also ruined their day with my dagger build since spears are really really weak against the Quickstep weapon art.

Don't save up FP to use your weapon arts on bosses, by the way, you'll end up rarely using it. Spin Slash from the Twinblades doesn't bounce off greatshields if I remember correctly.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, I ended up running past them afterwards, but I was trying to clear the 2 lurking in the courtyard right before Bort since I wanted to kill the red eye knight there without them shanking me in the liver.

I'm also salty about having my rear end handed to me by those wankers so take my hyperbole with a pinch of salt, but honestly they really feel weirdly out of place for how early in the game you come across them.

I gotta start using FP more; I've been getting a bunch of weapons and haven't really made up my mind on which one to run with, so I haven't started upgrading stuff yet. I'm doing relatively fine, damage-wise, so I may do some research before committing.

Oh, question while we're at it. What are some good attribute breakpoints to aim for if I'm doing dex/str?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DS3 exists in a weird liminal space where the developers had to create a product that would simultaneously live up to the marketing of the series as an insane, ballbusting challenge for veteran players while still being accessible for new players to the series that had only picked up on it after the hype of the previous two games. It's why the High Walls feel like such a strange mixed bag of difficulty: you've got your bog standard zombie soldiers straight outta Undead Burg hanging out next to Lothric Knights, who have attack patterns that make Alonne Knights look like crippled sloths.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Vermain posted:

DS3 exists in a weird liminal space where the developers had to create a product that would simultaneously live up to the marketing of the series as an insane, ballbusting challenge for veteran players while still being accessible for new players to the series that had only picked up on it after the hype of the previous two games. It's why the High Walls feel like such a strange mixed bag of difficulty: you've got your bog standard zombie soldiers straight outta Undead Burg hanging out next to Lothric Knights, who have attack patterns that make Alonne Knights look like crippled sloths.

I don't think that Lothric Knights are really that much worse than the regular hollows- they've still got no poise if they're not using a weapon art, for one thing- and I'd much rather take them on than the black knight in the burg just starting out. They definitely require a better grasp of the changes to the system to beat, but that's presumably the point.

I do tend to think Highwall's a pretty rough start, but that's as much because you've got 3-4 weak estus charges as because of the enemies you're dealing with.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Hello thread, I am in need of some advice.

For my first largely blind (and limping, tripping, stumbling) way through the game, I went with a quality build so I could have access to various types of weapons and see how they worked.

Then I found the claymore. I want to use other things, but it's just .. it's so good. I can't stop using it as my general purpose, go-to weapon. :negative:

Any recommendations for other weapons? I've been as far as the profane capital, but that just seems to loop back around to the dungeon. Also I stumbled upon the snowfield. Point being, I have access to a really large variety of stuff, I'm just not sure what to use.

Edit:

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh, question while we're at it. What are some good attribute breakpoints to aim for if I'm doing dex/str?

From what I've seen on build guides, 40 seems to be standard before scaling starts to break down.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 26, 2017

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Buried alive posted:

For my first largely blind (and limping, tripping, stumbling) way through the game, I went with a quality build so I could have access to various types of weapons and see how they worked.

Then I found the claymore. I want to use other things, but it's just .. it's so good. I can't stop using it as my general purpose, go-to weapon. :negative:

Any recommendations for other weapons? I've been as far as the profane capital, but that just seems to loop back around to the dungeon. Also I stumbled upon the snowfield. Point being, I have access to a really large variety of stuff, I'm just not sure what to use.

Lucerne.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Buried alive posted:

Edit:

From what I've seen on build guides, 40 seems to be standard before scaling starts to break down.

Really just play whatever weapon you think is the coolest, or you like using its moveset. I totally agree about the claymore though, it's just so good. But to be fair it's not that much better than most any other weapon.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sum Gai posted:

I don't think that Lothric Knights are really that much worse than the regular hollows- they've still got no poise if they're not using a weapon art, for one thing- and I'd much rather take them on than the black knight in the burg just starting out. They definitely require a better grasp of the changes to the system to beat, but that's presumably the point.

I do tend to think Highwall's a pretty rough start, but that's as much because you've got 3-4 weak estus charges as because of the enemies you're dealing with.

Black knights are really easy to parry once you fight a couple of them and get over the panic barrier, their attacks are mostly slow and not combos, and they never come in groups until the very end of the game. I would absolutely rather fight a black knight (even a DS3 black knight) than a Lothric Knight at a low level tbh.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Buried alive posted:

Edit:

On your first playthrough you should probably just try to get through the game using whatever weapon feels best to you, trying to experience as many weapons as possible on a single playthrough seems dumb especially since you're saying it's already difficult.

And yes the claymore is good, ever since using it in Demon's souls I always made it my goal to find a claymore and a greatshield ASAP in every Dark Souls

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Im playing through for my first time and mostly blind. Its a real challenge to not go back to Bloodborne controls. L1 is not a trick weapon sicc nasty combo move and Triangle is NOT heal god drat. I've missed this feeling of going in blind. I thought I was good at these games but I guess I just played DeS, D1 and BB a whole lot ! PLease Stop stabbing me caped knights !

Aug 24, 2011

gently caress farron keep wtf

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

where the red fern gropes posted:

gently caress farron keep wtf

get a dagger and quickstep through the muck

hth

Aug 24, 2011

scamtank posted:

get a dagger and quickstep through the muck

hth

how does that work? dual wield a dagger and use left strong attack?

i'm pretty sure i cleared the area out already though, i just dodge rolled through everything

turns out those giant loving poo poo dog ghost-skull-summoning cultist things can be lured into fires for a relatively easy kill, but i'm thinking i need to start pumping my faith so i can lightning spear some fools

e: uhhh wait is there an NPC sitting on one of the thrones? i have not seen him before...

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 26, 2017

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

just have a dag in your proper hand and use the L2 tech, yes

the bandit double-knives will do

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

how does that work? dual wield a dagger and use left strong attack?

i'm pretty sure i cleared the area out already though, i just dodge rolled through everything

turns out those giant loving poo poo dog ghost-skull-summoning cultist things can be lured into fires for a relatively easy kill, but i'm thinking i need to start pumping my faith so i can lightning spear some fools

e: uhhh wait is there an NPC sitting on one of the thrones? i have not seen him before...

He’s been around from the beginning. If you’ve killed the Curse-Rotted Greatwood, he can do some really useful things for you.

Characters do come and go from Firelink, though, so check back there regularly.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Iretep posted:

no see i already have a str dude doing that. im trying to think of a weapon that doesent use poise so i can skimp out on vit to the minimum.

I have a sl125 faith character and freely interchange blessed and lightning infused weapons:
Astora gs
Lothric knight ls
(Wolnirs)
Saint bident
Bastard sword
Partisan (a+ weapon)
Crow quills
Whip class weapons, dex infusion + lightning bundles/miracle buff

?

Aug 24, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

He’s been around from the beginning.

poo poo, i really like exhausting all dialogue so i'm guessing i won't be seeing all of his until NG+

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

poo poo, i really like exhausting all dialogue so i'm guessing i won't be seeing all of his until NG+

His dialogue isn't missable, I don't think. There are other npc questlines that are though. And a couple of them are finicky and very tough to figure out without looking things up. But yeah, that's what NG+ is for.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

honestly look up at least Seigward and Sirris' questlines you're most likely gonna gently caress them otherwise

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

honestly look up at least Seigward and Sirris' questlines you're most likely gonna gently caress them otherwise

And you really want to look up Siegward’s questline because he’s a big help with an essential boss.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 26, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yhorm is easy, the real reason to want seig's quest is because he gives you a slab

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm at the Crucifixion Forest bonfire; I managed to get to the Farron Keep one but decided to come back and finish exploring the forest until ran into the Crystal Sage.

So, here's my question: Is the game stacked against the player even more so than usual for souls games? I'm at level 30 right now (including like 5 levels I got from which apparently I shouldn't have since I now look like beef jerky), and I'm feeling like everything's a struggle. Levels right now are around the 6k souls point, and enemies are giving me... ~80 souls each. I ran from the Road of Sacrifices to the Crucifixion bonfire and got only ~4k souls, even after killing the NPC and the two Giant Enemy Crabs.

Every enemy attack's hitbox feels like it lasts juuuuust enough to catch me when I come off my roll if I read them wrong and roll in the wrong direction, ran into an rear end in a top hat with a club that either caught me with the tail end of his swipe of guard broke me in a single hit (and the proceeded to critical my face) who could attack and roll forever, ran into dudes who could shoot spells faster than I can swing, and the list goes on.

I was planning on rolling mostly towards dex and using fun/weird weapons, but I've fallen back to longsword (the ice one for now) and board because it's the only thing that's not getting me murdered instantly.

Could be just a severe case of Git Gud or confirmation bias on my part (or just good old whining), but I'm having a bitch of a time and I'm no newcomer to the souls series. :(

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm at the Crucifixion Forest bonfire; I managed to get to the Farron Keep one but decided to come back and finish exploring the forest until ran into the Crystal Sage.

So, here's my question: Is the game stacked against the player even more so than usual for souls games? I'm at level 30 right now (including like 5 levels I got from which apparently I shouldn't have since I now look like beef jerky), and I'm feeling like everything's a struggle. Levels right now are around the 6k souls point, and enemies are giving me... ~80 souls each. I ran from the Road of Sacrifices to the Crucifixion bonfire and got only ~4k souls, even after killing the NPC and the two Giant Enemy Crabs.

Every enemy attack's hitbox feels like it lasts juuuuust enough to catch me when I come off my roll if I read them wrong and roll in the wrong direction, ran into an rear end in a top hat with a club that either caught me with the tail end of his swipe of guard broke me in a single hit (and the proceeded to critical my face) who could attack and roll forever, ran into dudes who could shoot spells faster than I can swing, and the list goes on.

I was planning on rolling mostly towards dex and using fun/weird weapons, but I've fallen back to longsword (the ice one for now) and board because it's the only thing that's not getting me murdered instantly.

Could be just a severe case of Git Gud or confirmation bias on my part (or just good old whining), but I'm having a bitch of a time and I'm no newcomer to the souls series. :(

It's a constant criticism of the game, enemies move at Bloodborne level speeds and the player really doesn't. They also have long combo chains with delayed attacks thrown in to punish panic rolling. Crucifixion Woods is just a punishing area in general though, so don't get too down on yourself.

Also, Dex weapons take a while to get going until you have plenty of Dex to take advantage of sharp infusion. I've typically had a much easier time with strength early in the game. But things should get better as you go on.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

It's a constant criticism of the game, enemies move at Bloodborne level speeds and the player really doesn't.
Dark souls 3 midroll literally has more iframes and less recovery frames than bloodborne's dodge.

Actually, after doing more research the second thing seems ambiguous. No one seems to have exact dodge data for bloodborne, probably because it's not on PC. Regardless, they're quite similar. Dark Souls 3 has very fast movement.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 27, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Buried alive posted:

Edit:

dex and str have the standard 40 soft cap. vigor gets a semi-soft cap at 27, although it's still not terrible in terms of returns until 40.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dark Souls 3 for some reason feels much shorter than the previous games even if the runtime is the same. The cemetery appears twice, the hub and the kiln aren't real-levels, Anor Londo and Profaned Capital contain little beyond their lords, and the garden is just a garden. Since so much of the game is either swamp or citadel you never really venture far from your starting point on the high wall. Izalith and Crystal Cave may be balls but there was a definite sense of progression when you ascended to the library overlooking a regal city to descending to the absolute bowels of hell.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
My main complaint is I would've liked to have been able to go straight to the Grand Archives in NG+. They already give you the option of fighting the dancer real early, and I don't like the fact that after murdering the Dragonslayer armor, the only thing standing between you and the prince is a stinking corpse of one of his personal guard not being near the door at an appointed time.

This corpse also has a weapon I would've liked getting in NG early too!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Very generous of the devs to put the best looking armour in the game (fallen knight set) so early in the game. I've not really played DS2 and it's been a while since I played DS1, but did the pyromancey hand always require titanite? It seems like I don't really have enough as is.

Also, are those skill art things really worth it? I started as a knight and I get to use like four cool looking swings till I run out of juice, and I've yet to encounter anything that couldn't be beaten by either rolling, blocking, or just using normal attacks.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

In DS1 the pyro hand just costs souls, albeit lots and lots of them. In DS2 it costs fewer souls but there’s an upgrade item specific to the pyro hand. DS3 is the only one where it needs titanite. Just wait a bit basically, DS3 is tight with resources at first but will eventually give you loads of titanite.

Skills are sometimes good and a few are really good, but generally they are overshadowed by regular attacks. Stance skill has the useful shield breaking attack, but it’s nothing you couldn’t achieve a bit more slowly by kicking.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I've found skills to be really really good in invasions. Most of them are good as mix-ups to catch people when they don't expect it. Beyond that, the underwhelming-in-single-player spinny skills that a bunch of weapons have are generally unparryable and give tons of poise which make them amazing in the right situations.

There are only a few skills that I felt were mostly useless. Like the one that most of the scythes have that's incredibly hard to hit anything with.

e:

Vermain posted:

I dunno. The Lothric Knights are definitely harder than any (non-black knight) normal enemy in the first couple areas of 1 but I don't think 2 or 3 had any early-game gently caress-you difficulty walls as severe as the Capra Demon.

I also think that the fact that the group before the boss don't really chase you and are easily run-past-able, and that the same enemies reappear in much later areas with mostly the same moves kind of suggest that they are more of a late-game enemy and the couple in the high wall are meant to be run past for a lot of players.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 27, 2017

Aug 24, 2011

i have started using the hollowslayer greatsword, i also have my eye on the farron greatsword

please tell me opinions about these two things, i also want to raise my faith a lot to shoot lightning bolts at people

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Ah, I guess it's good to hear that most skills are useless. I'd probably use them more if they didn't use FP. I got a great shield and when I found out that the bash attack uses FP I deemed it trash

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Useless is maybe a tiny bit harsh. They do have definite multiplayer utility as Shear Modulus pointed out and for some (mostly magical/fancy-rear end) stuff, the skill really makes the weapon.

In general though I agree that the FP cost is rather irritating. Imagine if Bloodborne docked you a non-regenerating resource for everything you did with your weapon in trick mode! I don’t like the FP system in general, it strongly encourages players to just find the most FP-effective tactic (for melee characters, never using skills; for sorcerers, great heavy soul arrow to the end of the world...) and cling to it like grim death so as not to have to waste any more flasks on ashen estus than absolutely necessary.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I started with DS1 and after a few humps I was reasonably good while my friend who started with Bloodborne and DS3 had way too much trouble for being experienced in it. I skipped DS2 because I bought the Sotfs and heard its worse than the original and went straight for DS3.

It was brutal I had such a hard time in DS3 until I found out the poise doesn't work like it did in DS1. So midgame I switched focus on dex and katanas and the Legion Greatsword and the game became trivial. Started another pure strength build and Vordt's greathammer just staggers everything. I still like DS1 more but I have to admit replaying DS3 is easier.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Very generous of the devs to put the best looking armour in the game (fallen knight set) so early in the game. I've not really played DS2 and it's been a while since I played DS1, but did the pyromancey hand always require titanite? It seems like I don't really have enough as is.

Also, are those skill art things really worth it? I started as a knight and I get to use like four cool looking swings till I run out of juice, and I've yet to encounter anything that couldn't be beaten by either rolling, blocking, or just using normal attacks.

That set is a trap because you're actually wearing piss stained pants

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Buried alive posted:

The Claymore has been consistently one of the top ten Souls weapons in the Souls games that matter and it remains exquisite here. You honestly can't go wrong with it, it's pseudo-unique and just good for any situation. The difference in fun/difficulty soloing bosses with the claymore vs other weapons is night and day, and if you don't want a build that may rely on other players (like a squishy sorcerer) and if you want to actually wield a shield, use the claymore.

If you absolutely MUST use another weapon, the Exile's Greatsword is a solid weapon, as is the Carthus one. The Follower's Saber in the snowfield area is also a very good weapon. It sort of depends on your stats, but to be honest, if you want to sword-and-board it, the claymore is the clear best choice.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Claymore has been consistently one of the top ten Souls weapons in the Souls games that matter and it remains exquisite here.

I was a longsword person for most of DeS (Blueblood sword with a high luck stat and Magical Weapon utterly destroys that game), but DS1 and 2 was Claymore all the way, and my first run through BB was Ludwig's, which is Longsword + Greatsword.

As I mentioned/whined about, I wanted to break away from that for DS3, but I found the Claymore and... oh boy, here I go killing again. It's currently at +3 (when do you start getting Large Shards? I think I've found 2 total) and just took me through all of the Cathedral.

Speaking of, is the Bedchamber bonfire the closest to the boss down here? 'cause it's a hell of a run if I need to retry this boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Vic posted:

I started with DS1 and after a few humps I was reasonably good while my friend who started with Bloodborne and DS3 had way too much trouble for being experienced in it. I skipped DS2 because I bought the Sotfs and heard its worse than the original and went straight for DS3.

It was brutal I had such a hard time in DS3 until I found out the poise doesn't work like it did in DS1. So midgame I switched focus on dex and katanas and the Legion Greatsword and the game became trivial. Started another pure strength build and Vordt's greathammer just staggers everything. I still like DS1 more but I have to admit replaying DS3 is easier.

you were lied to, aside from one change everything they changed in sotfs is better