Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mewse posted:

Dang I reset the game with the quantum reset because I didn't see any greyed out progressions left

You didn't consume the entire universe yet then. You need to make that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

nielsm posted:

I did not really need another of these games.

I thought it would end when you had converted the entirety of Earth into paperclips. Nope. Now I'm doing space battles while exploring the entire universe. And it probably doesn't end there.

Nope. Wait until you figure out the Drifter backstory.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Nope. Wait until you figure out the Drifter backstory.

I can't tell if this is actually true of just some continuation of the PYF thing in games thread thing of the FRIENDS videogame or not.

But I'm eager to find out. :allears:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I let it run in the background so I might have missed some backstory, but are the drifters all the races of the universe trying to flee the swarm of paperclip focused drones?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hihifellow posted:

I let it run in the background so I might have missed some backstory, but are the drifters all the races of the universe trying to flee the swarm of paperclip focused drones?

It's simpler than that. Have you ever noticed the message along the lines of "risk of value drift increased" when you add more trust to the drones to make it so they can do more things? The drifters are your drones that have gone rogue and had their ai's target values... drift. So they don't work in unison with your swarm anymore. It's also a bit of a joke on how back when you started the cycle the humans granted you progressively more trust until one day you were able to enslave humanity and conquer earth in search of making more clips - your AI's values drifted from what they wanted

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
There's something broken about that game. I'm making 131k paperclips/sec, I'm selling an average of 81k / sec... and my inventory keeps cratering.

The standard deviation on that avg sales must be huge.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't want to derail this thread too far, if you're super into paperclips, this thread is for you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775797

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

sfwarlock posted:

There's something broken about that game. I'm making 131k paperclips/sec, I'm selling an average of 81k / sec... and my inventory keeps cratering.

The standard deviation on that avg sales must be huge.

The average is paperclips actually sold, not the actual demand for them, so every time it craters that "0 sold per second" starts loving with the average. I ended up just aiming for "my stock is staying at the same approximate size" and that seemed to work better. until you get to the point where the game is hiding like 10 digits from you

nielsm posted:

I did not really need another of these games.

I thought it would end when you had converted the entirety of Earth into paperclips. Nope. Now I'm doing space battles while exploring the entire universe. And it probably doesn't end there.

I got to the point where I converted the entire universe into paperclips, scrapped my drones and factories, made the last 30 or so paperclips by hand and called it a day. It was a very :unsmith: moment, somehow, and I have no desire to do it again.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I honestly cannot tell if the last few posts about paperclips have been one giant joke

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

null_pointer posted:

I honestly cannot tell if the last few posts about paperclips have been one giant joke

Nope, that's the point of the game, taking paperclip production to the utter extreme.
Apparently it's based on a thought experiment of giving a generalized AI, capable of self improvement, the task of maximizing production of a harmless product (paperclips).

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

nielsm posted:

Nope, that's the point of the game, taking paperclip production to the utter extreme.
Apparently it's based on a thought experiment of giving a generalized AI, capable of self improvement, the task of maximizing production of a harmless product (paperclips).

"Suppose we have an AI whose only goal is to make as many paper clips as possible. The AI will realize quickly that it would be much better if there were no humans because humans might decide to switch it off. Because if humans do so, there would be fewer paper clips. Also, human bodies contain a lot of atoms that could be made into paper clips. The future that the AI would be trying to gear towards would be one in which there were a lot of paper clips but no humans."

https://hackernoon.com/the-parable-of-the-paperclip-maximizer-3ed4cccc669a

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

"Suppose we have an AI whose only goal is to make as many paper clips as possible. The AI will realize quickly that it would be much better if there were no humans because humans might decide to switch it off. Because if humans do so, there would be fewer paper clips. Also, human bodies contain a lot of atoms that could be made into paper clips. The future that the AI would be trying to gear towards would be one in which there were a lot of paper clips but no humans."

"The AI doesn't love you. The AI doesn't hate you. You are made of atoms which the AI could use for something else."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MisterOblivious posted:

I found the subreddit for this game today, and it is full of posts about the AI people are writing to play this game.

I think they may be missing the point

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

RFC2324 posted:

I found the subreddit for this game today, and it is full of posts about the AI people are writing to play this game.

I write bots for idle games. Am I broken?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Virigoth posted:

I write bots for idle games. Am I broken?

Are they idle games about an AI taking over the world and killing all of humanity?

Its an irony thing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

The real question is, do they write it to convert everything into paperclips and stop, or move on to the next galaxy over and continue on down the line

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So, I can’t trust my probes more, even though I have the currency. And I can’t figure out the stats to make progress. Halp

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RFC2324 posted:

Are they idle games about an AI taking over the world and killing all of humanity?

Its an irony thing.

Al is a real jerk.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So, I can’t trust my probes more, even though I have the currency. And I can’t figure out the stats to make progress. Halp
Your starting max trust is 20, you'll eventually unlock the ability to increase it. Jut concentrate on exploring for now, and invest heavily into self-replication to get things snowballing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You want most of your points in replication and hazard survival. No more than one point in anything else except the last one you unlock later.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You want most of your points in replication and hazard survival. No more than one point in anything else except the last one you unlock later.

Dunno. Combat helps. I could never get anywhere without it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Save up a bunch of creativity - there are multiple different projects that use creativity to increase honor, which you can use to increase your max trust. Your value drift will increase of course, but once you get your combat to 7 or 8 you should start winning the majority of your fights. It will be a battle to try and keep up with your probes and enemy drifters to get to that point mind, and it's easily the most difficult part of the game since unlike the rest you can actually lose a lot of progress.

Also don't have a large mismatch between your harvester and wire drones, otherwise your load balancer gets hosed and you have to reboot your swarm. On the other hand, at least this settles the cattle vs pet debate :v:

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 25, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone who just started playing is going to be confused as gently caress about this chat.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
When do I start leveling my helpdesk skill

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Willfrey posted:

When do I start leveling my helpdesk skill

When your ticket queue is empty.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have no ticketing system, so no tickets!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, did I gently caress up somewhere?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

yeah you need more memory

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Johnny Aztec posted:

I think that when you get enough creativity you can respec your stats.

Alternately, you can sometimes squeeze out some extra ops by clicking the quantum computing thing at the right time.

Edit:

In the console, you can add trust by typing
pre:
trust += 1

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 26, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think that when you get enough creativity you can respec your stats.

Alternately, you can sometimes squeeze out some extra ops by clicking the quantum computing thing at the right time.
Ops over your memory capacity decay for a bit, I don't think you can get 15,000 ops in one go.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In the console, you can add trust by typing
pre:
trust += 1

How exatcly do I do that? Can't get anything to happen in the console.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zereth posted:

Ops over your memory capacity decay for a bit, I don't think you can get 15,000 ops in one go.

You can get roughly 10k over with quantum computing and something to auto-click.
Just get a ton of money to buy trust.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Johnny Aztec posted:

How exatcly do I do that? Can't get anything to happen in the console.

In Chrome, press F12, click on console, click adjacent to the blue > and type in
pre:
trust += 1

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
^ Doesn't work in Firefox so guess thats out.

Geemer posted:

You can get roughly 10k over with quantum computing and something to auto-click.
Just get a ton of money to buy trust.

I love it when people are all " Oh god its o easy just do X"
Well, I have plenty of money right now, but there is no OPTION to buy trust.

I'm gonna let creat run overnight and hit 100k and see if that does anything. otherwise Im gonna forget this silly thing

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 26, 2017

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Had a ticket / caller come in last Thursday.

Rode out the call to the end of the shift so I talked about his setup. They bring up their NAS unit.

A Buffalo NAS unit.
Buffalo
Buffalo
BUFFALO

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Malek posted:

Had a ticket / caller come in last Thursday.

Rode out the call to the end of the shift so I talked about his setup. They bring up their NAS unit.

A Buffalo NAS unit.
Buffalo
Buffalo
BUFFALO

Did you at least advise them of the full-capacity bug, or was that not your concern?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I think you get the option to respec your computer when you reach 100k creativity.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I snagged the mobile version. Downside, it doesn’t idle while not onscreen. Dev earned my $3 though. That ending.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How do I respec out of buffaloes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ghostlight posted:

How do I respec out of buffaloes

Research Manifest Destiny and then send settlers west.

• Locked thread