Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Alkydere posted:

Who would play John McClane? Kermit? Gonzo? Beaker? Ms. Piggy?

...Elmo?

I think it would be

John McClain - Kermit
Wife McClain - sweetums
Hans Gruber - Gonzo
Carl from family matters as Cop - Mrs Piggy
Rich douchebag - fozzie
Roided out henchmen - Sam eagle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
The cool part about castles is they're astoundingly cheap to buy, so if you're a shipping magnate or something you can just pay the opportunity cost to get the stones shipped here and reassembled.

It's always neat seeing actual European derelict castles taken apart stone by stone and carefully reassembled in the new world.

E: I mixed up two things. You can buy derelict castles dirt cheap (and people do, because it's cool) but nobody moves them. All the castles in the US were quarried here, I think. People do buy historic timbers/windows/cornerstones/etc and use them as part of new construction, but not the entire thing.

Harik fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 26, 2017

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think it would be

John McClain - Kermit
Wife McClain - sweetums
Hans Gruber - Gonzo
Carl from family matters as Cop - Mrs Piggy
Rich douchebag - fozzie
Roided out henchmen - Sam eagle

The main antagonist in Muppet adaptations is always a human being (Treasure Island, Christmas Carol, etc), so Gruber should be played by a human and Gonzo would play Ellis

Naturally Statler and Waldorf would be the FBI guys

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

theflyingorc posted:

Are we pretending that the left won't boycott a product because of a tenuous connection to something we don't like

Bit of difference between "I won't support product because they think gay people are subhuman filth who aren't allowed to marry" and "I won't support product because I don't like the guy running for President with a tenuous connection to the founder"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Alkydere posted:

Who would play John McClane? Kermit? Gonzo? Beaker? Ms. Piggy?

...Elmo?

It's the role Bert was born to play. He might not be a Muppet, dammit...but search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"Now I have a machine gun. Wakka wakka!"

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Happy Christmas from Grandpa Mason and his Muppet kittens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcwaw92R1QY

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Which Muppet would be Argyle?

And I still maintain Gremlins is the best Christmas movie.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's worth revisiting David Frum's excellent article from back in march, "How to Build an Autocracy".

The top comments were very interesting:

Commenter RJay's suggestion of rebuilding our social institutions is probably our best chance of getting out of our current predicament.

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
Are we still posting nostalgic christmas videos? Cause I've got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnIFTtW1pko

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Push El Burrito posted:

And I still maintain Gremlins is the best Christmas movie.
Gremlins has always been my favorite Christmas movie.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Liquid Communism posted:

I watch Scrooged and Die Hard instead. I used to like ACS until one of the local stations started doing a 24 hour marathon of it before the holidays.

Hey, KM, try the folks in AI. Keeping things that should by all rights be dead on the road is a passion over there. If you haven't read the Trukk thread, it will enlighten you and entertain.

If you're going to to read the Trukk Thread, you're also going to need the companion thread, Requiem For A Jeep

And the main course: I Bought a Truck: Bad Decisions ITT

A story of frustration, failure, restoration, and recovery.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

enraged_camel posted:

It's worth revisiting David Frum's excellent article from back in march, "How to Build an Autocracy".

The top comments were very interesting:

Commenter RJay's suggestion of rebuilding our social institutions is probably our best chance of getting out of our current predicament.

Just "rebuilding social institutions" sounds about as simple as just "curing cancer." What is the foundation that we should build upon? Investigative journalism in itself doesn't seem relevant, because people don't care about facts anymore.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vaishino posted:

Are we still posting nostalgic christmas videos? Cause I've got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnIFTtW1pko

This whole special was amazing. Same with the Claymation Easter one. :allears:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Wark Say posted:

Most Jazz classics are phenomenal low-key Christmas songs. Most of them make you chill in ways nothing else does (except maybe some good weed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZHUVjQydI

:frogc00l:

My daughter is in town for the rest of the week and my parents are like a 10 minute drive from here. Girlfriend decided to scram with her parents to Merida, so it's mostly goofy father-daughter bonding while watching doofy anime, dumb movies and eating unhealthy amounts of food. Also, Violin-Viola duets. ;)

I don’t care how many pages ago this was, but violas are awesome!!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

mp5 posted:

The main antagonist in Muppet adaptations is always a human being (Treasure Island, Christmas Carol, etc), so Gruber should be played by a human and Gonzo would play Ellis

Naturally Statler and Waldorf would be the FBI guys

I guess I'm fine with this. Animal is obviously the limo driver.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

How the gently caress is Rowlf the Dog not playing Al Powell.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Just "rebuilding social institutions" sounds about as simple as just "curing cancer." What is the foundation that we should build upon? Investigative journalism in itself doesn't seem relevant, because people don't care about facts anymore.

The foundation can be anything: community service, religion, or even just hobbies. At the end of the day people who otherwise would not spend time together outside of work or school need a reason to do that.

For example I'm involved in a worldwide community service organization that has chapters all over the US. Each chapter, including mine, has people from all walks of life. Because we all focus on rebuilding and serving the community, differences of opinion (even on politicized topics like what should be done to help the poor) are much more tolerated and even welcomed. We have liberals and conservatives and libertarians and there hasn't been a single instance of toxicity or even bickering that mirrors the current nation-wide political divide.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

http://www.newsweek.com/christmas-att-layoffs-midwest-bonuses-trump-758391

quote:

AT&T plans to lay off and fire more than a thousand workers starting early next year, according to local reports.

Across the Midwest, an estimated 600 workers were notified they were being laid off by the company on December 16, a week before AT&T announced it was doling out $1,000 bonuses to 200,000 of its employees in celebration of the Republican Party’s tax overhaul.

Why for tax cuts to job creator cause jobs go down? :thunk:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

There Bias Two posted:

Again, I am happy and honored to serve.

punchline 2: Jeb! reference

punchline 3: fishmech

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

enraged_camel posted:

The foundation can be anything: community service, religion, or even just hobbies. At the end of the day people who otherwise would not spend time together outside of work or school need a reason to do that.

For example I'm involved in a worldwide community service organization that has chapters all over the US. Each chapter, including mine, has people from all walks of life. Because we all focus on rebuilding and serving the community, differences of opinion (even on politicized topics like what should be done to help the poor) are much more tolerated and even welcomed. We have liberals and conservatives and libertarians and there hasn't been a single instance of toxicity or even bickering that mirrors the current nation-wide political divide.

It's amazing what can happen when you get people away from the TV or the Internet and get them working together face-to-face, toward a common goal.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/945382566869188608

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Harik posted:

It's always neat seeing actual European derelict castles taken apart stone by stone and carefully reassembled in the new world.

They did that at The Cloisters museum in manhattan, they disassembled some castles and chapels or something and crammed them all together, it’s pretty great.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

Leofish posted:

It's amazing what can happen when you get people away from the TV or the Internet and get them working together face-to-face, toward a common goal.

expand US labor law to allow workers to take x-number of hours each month of paid leave to volunteer? terrible idea?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I only just saw this in my local newspaper today.

This is the thing that is handed out to grieving widows and purple heart recipients, yes?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Harik posted:

The cool part about castles is they're astoundingly cheap to buy, so if you're a shipping magnate or something you can just pay the opportunity cost to get the stones shipped here and reassembled.

E: I mixed up two things. You can buy derelict castles dirt cheap (and people do, because it's cool) but nobody moves them. All the castles in the US were quarried here, I think. People do buy historic timbers/windows/cornerstones/etc and use them as part of new construction, but not the entire thing.

You think those stupid rich people know that medieval defenses aren't actually that good at defense in the modern era?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Solkanar512 posted:

I don’t care how many pages ago this was, but violas are awesome!!
They sure are! ;)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

xarph posted:

I only just saw this in my local newspaper today.

This is the thing that is handed out to grieving widows and purple heart recipients, yes?

You know silly bands? These are like silly bands except it's the military and not middle schoolers. They collect and trade them. They've been around since Vietnam I think, but Presidential one's only date back to the 90's.

Maybe war widows get them too. I don't know. It's seriously not a big deal.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He'll MAKE it a big deal

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Krispy Wafer posted:

You know silly bands? These are like silly bands except it's the military and not middle schoolers. They collect and trade them. They've been around since Vietnam I think, but Presidential one's only date back to the 90's.

They're not traded, but given out and collected. Their is a 'challenge' system but it's pretty niche these days

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's the role Bert was born to play. He might not be a Muppet, dammit...but search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Don't worry man the Sesame Street crew still count as muppets. They're not the main cast on any version of The Muppet Show but they count and have cameoed at least once. At least Big Bird did.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's still super tacky.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

Bring back the draft.

Seriously, Boomers protesting and getting conscription curtailed is probably one of those things that ruined the country in the long run. Conscription has a number of social benefits, such as crossing racial, ethnic, religious, regional and even class divide; instilling discipline on a wide-scale; fosters team building and personal growth; and providing practical experience to those who might not get it. The problem now is that the military doesn't want essentially temporary employees, they want committed volunteers. We would have to expand it pass the military, like conscripted Park Service or WWA, but I'm pretty sure companies and, to a lesser extent, labor unions wouldn't like the competition. And of course, employing that many people would require money, which would need taxes. There's so many obstacles about reinstating the draft.

I'm hoping those laid-off employees would get that bonus but you know they won't.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 26, 2017

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FilthyImp posted:

True. But that's usually like "hey the bus line here is racist" or "this skunkbag who lives in a literal castle raised the price of his trash pizza because Obamacare"

Wait, wait, wait. The Papa lives in that castle in Kentucky outside of Lexington?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BirdOfPlay posted:

Wait, wait, wait. The Papa lives in that castle in Kentucky outside of Lexington?

yep

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's still super tacky.

In addition to this, it's just another example of how the man is pathologically incapable of respecting tradition, decorum, or displaying anything resembling humility. Simply having a POTUS coin that has one's name on it should be an incredibly humbling, sobering experience. That he has to tack on gold flair and his loving campaign slogan isn't some meaningless nitpick- it's a degradation. Military folks take this sort of thing seriously, as they should. The Presidency is the most serious political office in human history, not some loving homecoming royalty gig.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Bring back the draft.

Seriously, Boomers protesting and getting conscription curtailed is probably one of those things that ruined the country in the long run. Conscription has a number of social benefits, such as crossing racial, ethnic, religious, regional and even class divide; instilling discipline on a wide-scale; fosters team building and personal growth; and providing practical experience to those who might not get it. The problem now is that the military doesn't want essentially temporary employees, they want committed volunteers. We would have to expand it pass the military, like conscripted Park Service or WWA, but I'm pretty sure companies and, to a lesser extent, labor unions wouldn't like the competition. And of course, employing that many people would require money, which would need taxes. There's so ma

I'm hoping those laid-off employees would get that bonus but you know they won't.

Fine, leave the military as a professional volunteer service. Build up organizations for other forms of civil service instead, like a force that supplements the professionals in FEMA (which admittedly feels like a loving hilarious thing to say) & the Army Corp of Engineers with bulk manpower for disaster recovery and whatnot. Plenty of areas I'm sure a lot of good could be done in without really stepping on too many toes.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

You almost ruined Christmas, but, luckily, you're wrong. Castles have walls and turrets and poo poo.

Harik posted:

Xanatos did and put it on top of his skyscraper.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

They are both in Kentucky, so close enough in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bronze posted:

expand US labor law to allow workers to take x-number of hours each month of paid leave to volunteer? terrible idea?

No, not a bad idea, but not really a solution to the stated problem. This would definitely help in some ways because people would do things they are passionate about for the social good, but it doesn't do much to get people connecting with each other that existing social institutions (such as regular work itself) do.

• Locked thread