Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

If there's a limited number of times you can regenarate then why shouldn't growing another body count.

I like giving things consequences and meaning. I think it was a good move.

Probably not going to be able to see the special until post holiday, no one here likes twelve.

Moffat intentionally muddled it by saying "10 regenerated and kept the same face" instead of "10 regenerated into a clone of himself" which I suppose makes sense because it was just meant to be a quick summary and not a deep lore chat, but I love blowing quickly past a mention of an insane sounding event so I'd have preferred the latter. One of my favourite lines in the show is "seal of the high council of Gallifrey, nicked it off the Master in the Death Zone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

trouser_mouse posted:

I thought that was pretty good, some of the sexism stuff was a bit over the top. Loved that Breaking the Wall got a look in - in fact, the whole episode seemed to wrap up all of Murray Gold's music cues nicely, so assume he's off... Will miss Peter Capaldi so much. Wonder if Jodie will be a female David Tennant.

The closest I got to breaking emotionally, honestly, was right as Bill kisses his forehead and Clara's theme kicks in. I initially hated how different that piece was from most of the score when it debuted, but now it may be my favourite leitmotif Gold's written. Just the elegant picking out of those first 7 or 8 notes, the first bar orients you instantly, and that's the effect Clara's supposed to have on the Doctor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

gently caress stephen moffat

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Stabbatical posted:

"One more life won't hurt" was pretty good one. The bit about his name and only children understanding it I didn't quite get though. Felt a bit rambling. :shrug:

Yeah, found myself checking the time during his final monologue; short and sweet works better.

Dabir posted:

I certainly won't miss Moffat's propensity to catharses of spurious morality with twenty minute monologues.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 26, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It had bits I liked and bits I wasn't as keen on. On balance, I enjoyed it while I was watching it, but it didn't leave a huge impression on me beyond the regeneration itself.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Chibnall does. Hopefully it will be different if nothing else.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I will never not appreciate a "the windows are the wrong size" line, and they did that twice, so that's already two points in the episode's favour.

Otherwise, I thought some of the choices made with Bradley's Doctor were a bit off. We knew a lot of the "the First Doctor is a sexist" lines in the spoiler thread, and while I fully expected them to not stick out as badly in context (and not all of them were quite as bad as advertised), a good few of them were still pretty egregious. They weren't even used to address regressive 1960s attitudes or whatever in any meaningful way, they just wrung out a few laughs out of Capaldi's reactions to them. Although, since these weird new faults in One's character were mostly just conjured up for jokes, I guess it's good that the emphasis was on Twelve's embarrassment rather than the faults themselves. And honestly, that embarrassment is a great way to approach the First Doctor - to Twelve, One is him in his teens, moody and immature and probably still into really lame bands and crushing on the Rani, as well as that cantankerous relative you have to sit next to at a wedding with plenty of opinions and no qualms about letting them be heard. That's a brilliant combination of immediately relatable human experiences ripe for comedy and loads of other interesting things, but here it was reduced to Capaldi playing Meathead to Bradley's Archie Bunker.

I didn't hate the episode itself, though - there were lots of nice scenes and little moments, and while I don't think they always quite hung together, the strength of the performances carried the whole thing more than well. Capaldi and Pearl Mackie were great, as always, and Bradley was too, even though I wish he had taken a bit freer an approach to the First Doctor, since he sometimes felt a bit constrained by having to imitate Hartnell's mannerisms at every turn. I did like that his frazzled look on Rusty's planet looked very much like Hartnell's in The Daleks, though.

But oh man the regeneration was brilliant and Capaldi was so brilliant and I'm gonna miss him but here's Jodie and she's already brilliant :allears:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dabir posted:

Marry Russell T Davies, kill Chris Chibnall. Easy

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Yeah, it'd be one thing if they used the sexism to tie-in with him becoming a woman, but they don't. It doesn't really serve any other purpose than to go "check out how much more progressive the character of the Doctor has come", even though that doesn't make sense for the character and confusing the time period 60s Who was filmed in, with the character himself.

As Mokinokaro says, there's sexism in the Hartnell era, and the charater is massively paternalistic - and there's discussion to be had about the evolving role and attitude towards women during the shows run (even the basic change of viewing the Doctor's travelling partners, not as "assistants", but "companions") - but the lines feel really odd coming out of the first Doctor's mouth.

Like, imagine if there were similar comments, not about Bill's sex, but about being an openly lesbian woman of mixed-race descent, prevailing to 60s views at the time. It'd be really weird and awful.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 26, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Originally Bill wasn't even going to be in the episode, but Moffat figured it would be a waste to have One be super old fashioned without Bill around to commentate on it and for Twelve to be super embarrassed about it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It was, like agressively Okay. It was nice to see Bill back, and I enjoyed having the 1st and latest doctor play off of each other, but there really wasn't much going on. Though I admit I enjoyed it way more than last years. And yea it was weird that they went to the trouble to make actors up like the 1sts companions and then they just kind of vanish.

I do hope in the future they're not afraid to cast other actors as earlier doctors. I'd love see the 2nd or 3rd show up.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I thought it all worked pretty well honestly. Doctor Who was a very casually sexist and chauvinistic show back in the '60s (Much like just about everything else) and incorporating that into One's character really helped drive home the theme of change and just how far the Doctor has come over the years. Everyone's embarrassed by the stupid poo poo they said when they were young and The Doctor is no different. This wasn't the First Doctor as he was back when it was Hartnell was playing him, the powerful old authority figure. This was the First Doctor as he exists to us now with 50 years of retroactive perspective. The character as he was conceived back then doesn't exist anymore and never really can again.

That line from somewhere back in Ten's run has never seemed more apt. "Trying to be all old and important, like you do when you're young."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
To be fair, they cut out all the jokes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I watched it twice today (once by myself this aft and then a rewatch with the girlfriend later with World Enough & Time / The Doctor Falls). My verdict is that I enjoyed it but there are parts which i would have rewritten.

the second time through had me wondering if the original napkin sketch for this story was written for John Hurt - Capaldi. Any info on that?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
My only complaint is that the Captain felt like he was just there so Moffat could put Mark Gatiss in the episode

Also Twelve should have regenerated after "One more lifetime won't kill anyone, except me," but I'm not going to bitch about an extra two and a half minutes of Capaldi getting to ramble

TinTower posted:

Let's see what Twitter thinks of Jodie:

:smithicide:
It's extra stupid because Twelve crashed the Tardis, Thirteen's not the one who exploded

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Soothing Vapors posted:

My only complaint is that the Captain felt like he was just there so Moffat could put Mark Gatiss in the episode

Also Twelve should have regenerated after "One more lifetime won't kill anyone, except me," but I'm not going to bitch about an extra two and a half minutes of Capaldi getting to ramble
It's extra stupid because Twelve crashed the Tardis, Thirteen's not the one who exploded

I'm not wading into that morass to fill even one brain cell with the opinions of horrible stupid people but I will say that I don't understand why the Doctor keeps regenerating in his/her TARDIS without any safeguards or anything.

I mean Nine went fairly quietly, Ten wrecked the TARDIS, Eleven crashed it, and Twelve blew it up. Just park the drat thing and go regenerate below decks or something! You used to not detonate everything in a four block radius when you did this!

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm not wading into that morass to fill even one brain cell with the opinions of horrible stupid people but I will say that I don't understand why the Doctor keeps regenerating in his/her TARDIS without any safeguards or anything.

I mean Nine went fairly quietly, Ten wrecked the TARDIS, Eleven crashed it, and Twelve blew it up. Just park the drat thing and go regenerate below decks or something! You used to not detonate everything in a four block radius when you did this!

Eh, that's the next guy(girl)'s problem

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

joe football posted:

Eh, that's the next guy(girl)'s problem

:sigh:

BTW, can someone get me a GIF of One's monocle popping out? That thing's gonna get a lot of mileage from me.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I just realized I typed "his/her" earlier and :3: a little

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

That was awesome, I'm excited for the next series. I wasn't expecting the return of the old music cues, that was a good way for Murray Gold to go out.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Chokes McGee posted:

Haha yeah

maybe actually falling out of the Tardis because you keep making the same dumb mistake will finally teach him/her to stop doing it

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hope the Doctor keeps doing it as the first test of the next Doctors ability to live up the the legacy.

If you can't survive a run of the mill regeneration induced TARDIS crash, then you can't really be the genuine article.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
"Well one more lifetime won't kill anyone...Except me" would have been great last words right up there with "You were absolutely fantastic, and you know wot, so was I!" but then they blew it

It is a pretty important episode but I kind of dislike it when they do massively consequential metaphysical revelations for the sake of one story, such as welp the human afterlife is now every human being(that was only humans wasn't it?) through all time being perfectly recreated and living forever as a computer person, presumably in paradise. Like that seems way more important then the doctor's trying to figure out their regeneration hangups and will probably never be brought up again

Also did they ever explain why the doctor didn't remember the first doctor having this adventure? The 12th doctor definitely mentioned this so it had to have been addressed at some point and I just missed it?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

joe football posted:

"Well one more lifetime won't kill anyone...Except me" would have been great last words right up there with "You were absolutely fantastic, and you know wot, so was I!" but then they blew it

It is a pretty important episode but I kind of dislike it when they do massively consequential metaphysical revelations for the sake of one story, such as welp the human afterlife is now every human being(that was only humans wasn't it?) through all time being perfectly recreated and living forever as a computer person, presumably in paradise. Like that seems way more important then the doctor's trying to figure out their regeneration hangups and will probably never be brought up again

Also did they ever explain why the doctor didn't remember the first doctor having this adventure? The 12th doctor definitely mentioned this so it had to have been addressed at some point and I just missed it?

Agreed, and the rule on multidoctoring (and multimastering) is that only the incarnation farthest down the personal time stream can retain the memories, at least consciously. That's why 10 and 9 didn't remember what happened to Gallifrey - because 11 was there, only 11 remembers the whole affair, and even then only once he experienced it as 11.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

joe football posted:

even that line + the "doctor, I let you go" thing would have been better

joe football posted:

not really but they made a point last week of noting that Missy couldn't remember details of meeting the Master because of Timelord Bullshit

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
So the Doctor becomes a woman, and immediately crashes the TARDIS.

Great start .....

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

joe football posted:

Twelve says to One that they're both in a state of temporal grace, maybe that's how they addressed it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

HardKase posted:

Great start .....

Oh man did you think of this yourself? :haw:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

HardKase posted:

Great start .....

The Doctor blows up the TARDIS, causing it to crash, and then becomes a woman. Clearly, men are the bad drivers in this story.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CommonShore posted:

My verdict is that I enjoyed it but there are parts which i would have rewritten.

Same.
They missed out on one massive 'HOLY poo poo' moment they could have done.
After Bill and Nardole hugs him, the Doctor walks away. Then a third glass entity appears, some complete random person we haven't seen before and says 'Was my dress sense really that bad?
Bill and Nardole grin and all teleport out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It wasn't all-time great, but it was good. I did like Rusty showing up again because that's just the sort of circularity I enjoy in a story like this. Capaldi's speech at the end did go on a little too long, but hey, let the man filibuster. I'm super nervous about what Chibnall is going to do, but I'm sure whatever it is Whitaker won't be the problem.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I admit most of my Who knowledge comes from the new series, I've seen very little of the classic. I know Logopolis is better, and I know The Caves of Androzani is drat-near perfect.

But of the ones I've seen, this is the best regeneration episode. It's not perfect and there's some problems, especially early on (although let's be honest, it kind of is a perfect capstone for Twelve's final story to be a shaky start but a great finish), but when it wanted to do something it did it well. I genuinely enjoyed a lot of the jokes around One early on as well as all of the serious exploration of him later, the callbacks were actually pretty free of what we'd usually worry about with Moffat callbacks, the 'twist' was a lot of fun to see arrive, and of course the Christmas Armistice scene was beautiful. The regeneration in the TARDIS dragged on a little, but honestly I was bawling by then anyway, so I didn't care. And of course, Thirteen's first scene is great.

A couple things I wanted to specifically note:
-Rusty was probably the nicest callback they could've made. It's not a demanding one for the audience to remember, it's not overused, doesn't take away anything, or lead them to just recycle, he was just a fun one to see come back. Plus, it means Briggs is there to farewell Moffat too.

-Gatiss did surprisingly well, better than I expected, although that may be in part because he was basing his performance on Courtenay. The cinema I was watching this in showed a Twelve/Moffat retrospective before the special and a making-of after, and Gatiss' input on the latter was really cute. He was cast because Moffat wanted him around for his last story, and loved that after so many years as a fan, writer, director and actor he finally got to say it was bigger on the inside. He also talked about how hard it was to not undersell the TARDIS since he's so used to it, so you can see the Captain in the background of the scene where they arrive on Rusty's planet where he's trying to figure out how the TARDIS just moved them :3:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

HardKase posted:

Great start .....

:drat:
:master:
:laffo:
:iceburn:
:hurr:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm just really, really relieved that they didn't have the Christmas truce be caused by the Doctor(s) somehow.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

Im just saying why make that direction decision? It is questionable as hell.

Other than that the episode was done good who.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

jivjov posted:

The Doctor blows up the TARDIS, causing it to crash, and then becomes a woman. Clearly, men are the bad drivers in this story.

This is actually a perfect example: 10 regenerates into 11, TARDIS is crashing, doesn't represent all men but just 11.
11 regenerates into 12, doesn't know how to fly the TARDIS, doesn't represent all men but just 12.
12 regenerates into 13, TARDIS is crashing, "oh my gosh women drivers!"

Imagine a world where one man acting like an idiot is taken as representative of all men. It's not like it's hard to think of examples of men acting like idiots.

(Only the Romanas and River have demonstrated an ability to properly fly the TARDIS every time, anyway...)

Also, I propose that we formally give additional names to Rusty. He is now Rusty T. Davies. And he must immediately get a Big Finish series where he travels time and space with his companion Handles.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
This just in - Doctor Who fans in disagreement, film at eleven.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Speaking of River, really loving weird for 12 to go on a tear about how only children can hear his name when River knows it. I know continuity is messy in this show but it was Moffat's choice to have her know it and make a big deal about that in the first place so it feels super weird to have him suddenly decide that adults can't comprehend it or whatever.

ETA: welp having just typed that out I just realised that it actually works perfectly if the reason why River can know his name is because she's part Time Lord, and that would also explain 10's reaction to hearing it in her first episode. So I guess I just made myself actually like a very twee, overly long speech about children being able to understand things adults can't.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 26, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Narsham posted:

Also, I propose that we formally give additional names to Rusty. He is now Rusty T. Davies. And he must immediately get a Big Finish series where he travels time and space with his companion Handles.

Another part of the making-of was Briggs talking about Rusty, and says he's looking forward to the spinoff series of Rusty fighting the entire Dalek armada.

Oh, and another thing from that special that I think people here will find interesting: the initial plan for the Tenth Planet scenes at the start wasn't just to splice in some reshoots with some remaining footage, but to do a whole reshoot with a combination of 60s and modern cinematography and special effects. They showed a pre-effects cut of it, and it's beautiful.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Narsham posted:

He is now Rusty T. Davies.

QUELLE DO-MAGE, DAAVVVROOOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Those Twitter comments are clearly just clever trolls. Every NuWho regeneration has resulted in a crashed Tardis and a Ginger joke. It’s a running gag now.

• Locked thread