Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Infinitum posted:

Question regarding Playstation Plus

If I subscribe once that months free games have already been announced, do I get access to those games?
Or do I need to wait until next months batch arrives to claim them?

I'm certainly not chomping at the bit for Darksiders or Kungfu Panda atm

You get the games available at the moment you sign up. You don't get any games from previous months. If you let Plus lapse you lose access to any free games you claimed and get them back if you reup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

I also highly recommend Valkyria Chronicles as a must-play, so keep an eye on the PS4 remaster.

I will probably be buying VC4 on the Switch baby

The Holy Trinity is now PC + Switch + PS4

Rot in hell 3DS

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Infinitum posted:

I will probably be buying VC4 on the Switch baby

The Holy Trinity is now PC + Switch + PS4

Rot in hell 3DS

Whoa. Hey. Please be respectful towards the 3DS, who has been a good friend to all of us.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
3DS is probably my favorite system of all time where I don't like the hardware at all. Don't like the 3D effect, don't like playing games with a stylus, don't like the buttons. Devs sure as poo poo made a ton of great games for it though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Randallteal posted:

3DS is probably my favorite system of all time where I don't like the hardware at all. Don't like the 3D effect, don't like playing games with a stylus, don't like the buttons. Devs sure as poo poo made a ton of great games for it though.

It feels bad in the hands imo but the games yeah

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

Whoa. Hey. Please be respectful towards the 3DS, who has been a good friend to all of us.

3DS was indeed good, and was a good friend to all.

It's just... I literally have not picked it up since I got my Switch.

So yeah... Time to update the Trinity of Good Gaming Platforms

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Monster Hunter has abandoned 3DS for the sunny shores of consoles and for that I can cast the 3DS to a viking funeral. So long, my friend, but my future is in the big wide World.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
3DS has a ridiculously large backlog that I don’t think I’ll ever exhaust and as such I will always have a home for it

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

nachos posted:

3DS has a ridiculously large backlog that I don’t think I’ll ever exhaust and as such I will always have a home for it

Yeah I am going to be playing my 3DS for years still.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Randallteal posted:

Kid Icarus was a lot of fun to buy preowned so I didn't get the stand to help not gently caress my wrists up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Vita forever in our hearts.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Vita forever in our hearts.
My Vita forever in my closet maybe-almost everything that comes out is on the PS4 now too.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Vita means life. *plays persona 4 forever.

*dies

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Samurai Sanders posted:

My Vita forever in my closet maybe-almost everything that comes out is on the PS4 now too.

I will be getting P3/P5 Dancing games on Vita when they come out.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I just fired my Vita up last night.

Gotta play me some Lumines!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Hello, please rate my purchases for a console I do not own yet
- FIFA 18
- Assassin's Creed Origins
- Journey
- Witcher 3 GOTY
- Uncharted Collection
- Bloodborne

Are there any other must must must haves on the cheap atm that I have missed out on?

Infamous Second Son/First Light should be cheap right now. GOTY edition of Horizon Zero Dawn is also $50. Yakuza 0 has also been on some pretty steep discounts in the PSN store the last week or so.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, I do not understand the FFXV controls... Time to find the thread...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hang out. Cast magic. Watch brofest

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ew.

I don't know how to block. All he does is dodge.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Snak posted:

Oh god, I do not understand the FFXV controls... Time to find the thread...

FFXV has custom button mapping, like a lot of japanese games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's not about which button to hit, it's about why holding the dodge button only blocks randomly, but dodges 95% of the time. Google is not helping.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm playing Nier Automata it is good as gently caress.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

JBP posted:

Yeah. It's amazing. The 'so many endings' is chapter endings. Also :yosbutt:. Also the real combat is in the chip menu. I gotta play that game again.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Snak posted:

It's not about which button to hit, it's about why holding the dodge button only blocks randomly, but dodges 95% of the time. Google is not helping.

i'm only an hour in but i'm pretty sure it dodges normally but blocks when there's specifically a block command prompt

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

For big cinematic boss encounters holding it will block. For normal fights holding it will dodge or with perfect timing parry and counter.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm only an hour in but i'm pretty sure it dodges normally but blocks when there's specifically a block command prompt

Like I've just been training at a campsite, and I haven't had a single block prompt in like 5 rounds. I had 3 in one round earlier. Surely blocking and parrying isn't a "once in a blue moon" opportunity?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

Like I've just been training at a campsite, and I haven't had a single block prompt in like 5 rounds. I had 3 in one round earlier. Surely blocking and parrying isn't a "once in a blue moon" opportunity?

The prompts don't show up unless you're in 'danger' from a telegraphed attack and currently not blocking, I think.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

Yes, it is. Perhaps even gooder than gently caress.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've done ending A and G because I wandered off to find treasure and the game was like nine s was never seen again lol.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I still thank the nameless ps savior that helped me through those credits God bless you sir. Merry Christmas

I did pay it fwd.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So if you start holding square too soon, you don't block? And forfit your chance to parry? I mean, that makes sense from a mechanical standpoint. I just spent 20 minutes trying to do parries and no matter what timing I used, Noctis just sidestepped every attack, except for the ones Inhad the perfect timing for him to phase through.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

About halfway through P5 and it's approaching my top 5 all time, how feasible/worth it is it to try to play some of the older ones? Like P4 had a Vita edition right? They still make those?

Think I found my first disappointing moment in the game: at the end of the fourth palace's boss fight, I dealt the last blow, Futaba made her remarks and I got the "FIRE!" prompt. I assumed I was about to rock Wataba's face with the ballista, having sent Morgana to ready a shot a few turns before but not needing it when the boss did the dive move with basically no health left, but instead Joker just fired his pistol. Real anticlimatic.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

About halfway through P5 and it's approaching my top 5 all time, how feasible/worth it is it to try to play some of the older ones? Like P4 had a Vita edition right? They still make those?

Think I found my first disappointing moment in the game: at the end of the fourth palace's boss fight, I dealt the last blow, Futaba made her remarks and I got the "FIRE!" prompt. I assumed I was about to rock Wataba's face with the ballista, having sent Morgana to ready a shot a few turns before but not needing it when the boss did the dive move with basically no health left, but instead Joker just fired his pistol. Real anticlimatic.
3 and 4 are both really good. Also you could branch out into the main line Megami Tensei games on the 3DS if you’re interested in just the dungeon crawling and combat parts and not the school life simulator and cutscene heavy parts.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

So if you start holding square too soon, you don't block? And forfit your chance to parry? I mean, that makes sense from a mechanical standpoint. I just spent 20 minutes trying to do parries and no matter what timing I used, Noctis just sidestepped every attack, except for the ones Inhad the perfect timing for him to phase through.

Parry might be an unlockable skill, you'll want to check the ascension grid. Otherwise, yeah, cinematic blocks aside.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, I can do parries, but it seems totally random whether Noctis blocks an attack with his weapon (so I can do a parry), or sidesteps it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Persona 4 Golden is great. Only other one I've played so far, though I intend to get to 3 at some point. The one thing about the older games that's not as good as 5 is that the dungeons are basically just hallways with enemies, but the boss fights are good and the story is great.

The SMT games tho that's where the real good poo poo is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

Like, I can do parries, but it seems totally random whether Noctis blocks an attack with his weapon (so I can do a parry), or sidesteps it.

Because I think it depends on whether your bros have the skill unlocked for the parry follow-up. As I said, may want to consult the grid.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I have done parries during training. But also have had no opportunity to block during training. Either Noctis can block and parry Gladiolus during training, or he can't. And I know he can, because I've done it. I don't see how this can be a skill tree thing.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Snak posted:

Have you done the tutorial? In any case do the tutorial. Access it from the start menu.

You don't normally block. You hold the button which makes Noctis magically dodge most attacks. Magic and extra-large attacks you usually have to manually dodge by quickly pressing the dodge button twice. There is a 'counter-lite' you can perform by attack immediately after magically dodging, however:

Some hard-hitting attacks, always telegraphed, can be blocked and counter-attacked. There will be a big red icon on the screen. Press and hold the dodge button, just like you would normally dodge the attack. Noctis will block, then you can press the attack button for a strong counter. Some bosses will be much easier if you learn how to fish for counters. Oh, and you need to have MP so don't overuse the dodge. Do the tutorial.

Also, alway try to attack from behind. Always try to attack from behind together with a bud. This might trigger coop attacks which to huge damage.

And last but not least, some weapons like the great sword have alternate tasks if you let go of the attack button during a string of attacks, pause for a beat, and press the button again. The great sword has a 360 swinging attack which is pretty useful. This does not show up during the tutorial.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Persona 4 Golden is great. Only other one I've played so far, though I intend to get to 3 at some point. The one thing about the older games that's not as good as 5 is that the dungeons are basically just hallways with enemies, but the boss fights are good and the story is great.

The SMT games tho that's where the real good poo poo is.

I've still yet to fully wrap my head around the difference between Persona and SMT. Like, it's the same series, but one is is high school and one isn't?