Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unzip and Attack posted:

In addition to this, it's just another example of how the man is pathologically incapable of respecting tradition, decorum, or displaying anything resembling humility. Simply having a POTUS coin that has one's name on it should be an incredibly humbling, sobering experience. That he has to tack on gold flair and his loving campaign slogan isn't some meaningless nitpick- it's a degradation. Military folks take this sort of thing seriously, as they should. The Presidency is the most serious political office in human history, not some loving homecoming royalty gig.

Do they? Do they really?

Patiently waiting to witness the armed forces' inevitable groundswell of protest against this assault on their traditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Alkydere posted:

Don't worry man the Sesame Street crew still count as muppets. They're not the main cast on any version of The Muppet Show but they count and have cameoed at least once. At least Big Bird did.

Yeah, I've been amusing myself imagining hearing "come out t'the coast, we'll have'a few laughs" in Bert's voice for the past two hours or so.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Donnie is the fastest man on earth.

I'm sure his first 3 wives agree. 4th one would too, but NDA's are a hell of a thing.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

enraged_camel posted:

Commenter RJay's suggestion of rebuilding our social institutions is probably our best chance of getting out of our current predicament.
The biggest thing that needs to happen is that people need to get serious about policy and competence in government, not just use elections as grievance dumping grounds for stupid poo poo (especially poo poo that the official being elected has no power to change, like NFL policy), and the people that care about that need to show up and vote so it stops being a turnout contest fought out among the PR-news-entertainment complex.

Also, one of the big (maybe intentional?) ironies of the "fake news" thing in particular is that Fox News, Breitbart, Infowars, etc. are among the worst horseshit peddlers out there, but they're getting a fraction of the derision that's heaped on CNN regularly, ironically out of a sense that it's not cool to criticize independent news outlets.

I think that dam might be starting to break though, the "FBI coup" stuff being peddled lately seems to have crossed a line for a lot of people.

Misread that as endorsing the the opening line of Ministry's "Jesus Built my Hotrod."

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 26, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://mobile.twitter.com/ChuckGrassley/status/945043100975665152

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

BirdOfPlay posted:

Xanatos did and put it on top of his skyscraper.

Yeah, but then it turned out the stone was infested with an invasive species.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

BirdOfPlay posted:

You almost ruined Christmas, but, luckily, you're wrong. Castles have walls and turrets and poo poo.

They got permits for that crennelation?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I love that it's a real teal account.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

This is what happens when you don't have your staff around to work the computer machine box 'tweeter' thingy.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Great job to whoever made sure we were ready for this day.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

Do they? Do they really?

Patiently waiting to witness the armed forces' inevitable groundswell of protest against this assault on their traditions.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

@ChuckGrassley for king of twitter!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Data Graham posted:

Do they? Do they really?

Ask any veteran friends/family you have what they think of it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Ask any veteran friends/family you have what they think of it.

No one gives a gently caress about challenge coins

Still tacky as gently caress though

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Your Boy Fancy posted:

The deep fried pizza is actually a Scottish thing I think. There’s a shop in Edinburgh that serves Crunchy Pizza next to deep fried Mars Bars and its kind of awesome. Once.

Basically your own-the-libs friend is street-level Scottish.

something being gourmet scottish cuisine is not a point in its favor

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Are there any rumblings of more indictments from Mueller before the end of the year?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crows Turn Off posted:

Are there any rumblings of more indictments from Mueller before the end of the year?

Lol there were no "rumblings" of any of the previous ones.

Anything Mueller does is gonna be known when it happens

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Lol there were no "rumblings" of any of the previous ones.

Anything Mueller does is gonna be known when it happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwBLPaUYqFo&t=210s

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 26, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Young Freud posted:

Bring back the draft.

On the other hand, screw all that poo poo in this rotten country, I 100% expect it would do nothing but brutalize a bunch more vulnerable people and further radicalize the terrible ones.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The deep fried cheeseburger doesn't need your respect to be awesome

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

Bring back the draft.

Seriously, Boomers protesting and getting conscription curtailed is probably one of those things that ruined the country in the long run. Conscription has a number of social benefits, such as crossing racial, ethnic, religious, regional and even class divide; instilling discipline on a wide-scale; fosters team building and personal growth; and providing practical experience to those who might not get it. The problem now is that the military doesn't want essentially temporary employees, they want committed volunteers. We would have to expand it pass the military, like conscripted Park Service or WWA, but I'm pretty sure companies and, to a lesser extent, labor unions wouldn't like the competition. And of course, employing that many people would require money, which would need taxes. There's so many obstacles about reinstating the draft.

I'm hoping those laid-off employees would get that bonus but you know they won't.

Why am I not surprised that ostensible "liberals" love quasi-fascist government policies like mandatory conscription?

Not even liberals' #1 bad guy china practices conscription anymore.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Peven Stan posted:

Why am I not surprised that ostensible "liberals" love quasi-fascist government policies like mandatory conscription?

Mandatory civil service is not a terrible idea. I mean we already have jury duty so this is just farther down that rabbit hole. Of course America would not implement it that way - it'd be mandatory Go Murder Brown People Across The Globe so no way I'd ever support it here. But I don't find it objectionable in principle :shrug:

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Peven Stan posted:

???

Conscription has been practiced by virtually every liberal society since liberalism was invented. A war of real seriousness pretty much requires it for the military to function smoothly.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kilroy posted:

Mandatory civil service is not a terrible idea. I mean we already have jury duty so this is just farther down that rabbit hole. Of course America would not implement it that way - it'd be mandatory Go Murder Brown People Across The Globe so no way I'd ever support it here. But I don't find it objectionable in principle :shrug:

I think that mandatory national service for a year or two of some sort is a great idea to give young adults some life experience and a greater appreciation for the size and scope of their country. However, I think to be best implemented it needs to have multiple outlets rather than simply military service. There are a lot of schools, charities and other worthwhile causes in the country that could use additional volunteer help.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Look up the phrase "manpower channeling" and get back to me.

Hint: The rich always got their deferments and the draft board justified conscripting poors and minorities because they were going to be worthless anyway, might as well make them cannon fodder for overseas imperialism.

Contrary to popular belief it was always the lower classes which opposed the vietnam war- college boys didn't start turning against the war until they got their draft deferments taken away.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fearless posted:

I think that mandatory national service for a year or two of some sort is a great idea to give young adults some life experience and a greater appreciation for the size and scope of their country. However, I think to be best implemented it needs to have multiple outlets rather than simply military service. There are a lot of schools, charities and other worthwhile causes in the country that could use additional volunteer help.
In fact military service needs to not be part of the mandatory civil service at all, because it's not civil service.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kilroy posted:

In fact military service needs to not be part of the mandatory civil service at all, because it's not civil service.

Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Peven Stan posted:

Hint: The rich always got their deferments and the draft board justified conscripting poors and minorities because they were going to be worthless anyway, might as well make them cannon fodder for overseas imperialism.

Contrary to popular belief it was always the lower classes which opposed the vietnam war- college boys didn't start turning against the war until they got their draft deferments taken away.
Yep this is potentially a huge problem with the idea and it absolutely would not be resolved in a satisfactory manner in the US, which is why (among other reasons) I oppose the US trying this.

It would have to be no deferments, no weaseling out, no exceptions. If you got bad feet or whatever bullshit we'll find something for you to do, no matter how rich your daddy is. And if you got a legitimate thing that precludes most jobs we'll still find one for you.

Also, preferably there are no rich daddies in the first place, but that's neither here nor there.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Two words mate - haggis naan

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Peven Stan posted:

The patronizing tone is unnecessary. If you're saying that the rich find loopholes and take advantage, that's true of literally every system ever created where money is a thing that exists, and not an indictment of the concept itself. That doesn't make a draft, in itself, an illiberal practice.

Also, having an all volunteer military has proven no more effective in stopping us from having an army made up of the poor and minorities used to invade other countries aggressively.

TheBalor fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 26, 2017

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kilroy posted:

Which is why I used the term national service instead. A stint in the military is one means of serving one's country, but it's not for everyone and there is little or nothing to be gained from shovelling people who have no inclination or interest towards it into the ranks. Other options must be provided if the people engaged in such a program (and the country as a whole) are to benefit from the experience and their work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Kilroy posted:

Yep this is potentially a huge problem with the idea and it absolutely would not be resolved in a satisfactory manner in the US, which is why (among other reasons) I oppose the US trying this.

It would have to be no deferments, no weaseling out, no exceptions. If you got bad feet or whatever bullshit we'll find something for you to do, no matter how rich your daddy is. And if you got a legitimate thing that precludes most jobs we'll still find one for you.

Also, preferably there are no rich daddies in the first place, but that's neither here nor there.

America, home of the free. Just let us send you off to go murder people for a year or two first.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

America, home of the free. Just let us send you off to go murder people for a year or two first.
Do you read the forums with avatars off, usernames off, and massive debilitating brain damage?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kilroy posted:

Do you read the forums with avatars off, usernames off, and massive debilitating brain damage?

This could actually be a fun game where you try to guess which post is whose.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don’t have time for those things I’m too busy at mandatory civil service deployment at the border rounding up illegals.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
on the other hand, we should completely disband the military and use the money saved to give everyone healthcare, free college, and bring back the CCCs

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Read up on Zivildienst in Germany/Austria, it was basically alternative civilian service for those who objected to the military and involved stuff like work at hospitals or nursing homes. It’s probably not a terrible idea but they shut it down for some reason :iiam:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t have time for those things I’m too busy at mandatory civil service deployment at the border rounding up illegals.
Those are all actors (incidentally also on mandatory civil service) performing for your benefit. You simple, simple man. Like I said we find something for everyone to do.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If I could redo my life, then I definitely would have chosen to stay in my lovely dead end hometown for an extra year, a place I haven’t been to in what over a decade now and don’t ever plan on going back ever, working for a __________ entity to gain valuable life experiences, and living with my parents that I literally can’t stand being around for reasons I’m not going to explain on an Internet forums.

Yeah, I sure wish I could go back and change things sometimes.

Oh but civil service doesn’t need to be in your lovely hometown. You can move for it you say. Okay, but who’s going to be paying 18 year old me with a high school diploma living wages in an actual city with opportunity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

I loathe FoNY with every atom of my body. It's like the Irish section of It's A Small World Escaped in to the real world.

Best Christmas movie: Die Hard
Best Christmas song: "White Wine in the Sun" by Tim Minchin. Look it up on line.

Trump sucks, so does Turnbull.

• Locked thread