Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

helicopter parenting

I wanna do the joke but I want to do it in a way that’s only cruel to people named Landis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

business hammocks posted:

I wanna do the joke but I want to do it in a way that’s only cruel to people named Landis.

Only the living can feel pain.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Twitter's done some nasty poo poo to me and my mind at various times too, and yet I still go back to it more than any other social media. I'm currently fine with it but I kind of use it primarily as a shitpost app which is what it's best at, either that or the odd screed (usually when drink is involved). And I tend to mute anyone as soon as they get annoying. gently caress trying to actually have a discussion there, that's when it's immediately and irreversably awful.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Justice posted:

Twitter's done some nasty poo poo to me and my mind at various times too, and yet I still go back to it more than any other social media. I'm currently fine with it but I kind of use it primarily as a shitpost app which is what it's best at, either that or the odd screed (usually when drink is involved). And I tend to mute anyone as soon as they get annoying. gently caress trying to actually have a discussion there, that's when it's immediately and irreversably awful.

Twitter has such a lovely interface for any kind of lengthy conversation that I just tune out without even trying. I'd say most of what I do with Twitter is promote other people's stuff, on rare occasions my own/my company's work, retweet job openings, respond with bad jokes that people just ignore (probably for the best)... I just don't know how to get invested in any kind of serious back-and-forth there, it's worse than Facebook, and Facebook is really bad. It also helps that I don't automatically get notifications when people respond to me, unlike with Facebook.

Most of my social media interaction is Facebook, which is usually with people I know, which is usually very positive (the negative stuff I've cut down on and the whole platform opt-in rather than opt-out by nature, which helps), and this dying forum, which... I don't know, I've had to stop myself from being in certain threads/forums for my own mental health, it's easy because a good meltdown probation acts as a nice, deliberate, documented wake-up call.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Twitter has such a lovely interface for any kind of lengthy conversation that I just tune out without even trying. I'd say most of what I do with Twitter is promote other people's stuff, on rare occasions my own/my company's work, retweet job openings, respond with bad jokes that people just ignore (probably for the best)... I just don't know how to get invested in any kind of serious back-and-forth there, it's worse than Facebook, and Facebook is really bad. It also helps that I don't automatically get notifications when people respond to me, unlike with Facebook.

Most of my social media interaction is Facebook, which is usually with people I know, which is usually very positive (the negative stuff I've cut down on and the whole platform opt-in rather than opt-out by nature, which helps), and this dying forum, which... I don't know, I've had to stop myself from being in certain threads/forums for my own mental health, it's easy because a good meltdown probation acts as a nice, deliberate, documented wake-up call.

I always get the feeling with how Twitter is that you're almost always just talking past each other when you're having a conversation with someone else, especially if it gets a lil' heated. You're always at least 2 tweets behind so what's the point? May as well skip straight to gently caress you. Facebook doesn't have that problem, but...ugh, Facebook. Barely use the thing.

I might try and learn how Insta works in 2018, as far as actually trying to build a social media brand goes. I have some folks who use it a lot and it's probably really freaking good for it, little better than visual stimulation - certainly compared to reams of text.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Justice posted:

I always get the feeling with how Twitter is that you're almost always just talking past each other when you're having a conversation with someone else, especially if it gets a lil' heated. You're always at least 2 tweets behind so what's the point? May as well skip straight to gently caress you. Facebook doesn't have that problem, but...ugh, Facebook. Barely use the thing.

I might try and learn how Insta works in 2018, as far as actually trying to build a social media brand goes. I have some folks who use it a lot and it's probably really freaking good for it, little better than visual stimulation - certainly compared to reams of text.

A friend of mine is trying to keep up an Instagram presence for her fashion blog, and apparently she's had issues with how it would disappear followers from her? It's not very easy getting feedback as to why and how people engage or disengage.

Edit: Mildly annoying thing about Twitter is how I end up following people involved in shows I watch, and then I have to unfollow them because they're spoiling current seasons for me and I'm always years behind.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 25, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A friend of mine is trying to keep up an Instagram presence for her fashion blog, and apparently she's had issues with how it would disappear followers from her? It's not very easy getting feedback as to why and how people engage or disengage.

Yeah I got guys in the retro game world who do a lot of Insta that I'm gonna be pumping for advice, and the feedback thing is something I just don't get either looking at it. It certainly feels like pissing into the void. But if you can crack Insta then hoo boy.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I never used twitter but I frequently go to Tumblr to look at fanart

Not sure if that's better or worse...

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 25, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

twitter delenda est

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

I never used twitter but I frequent go to Tumblr to look at fanart

Not sure if that's better or worse...

Now there's a social media network that I do not and will not ever understand. Tumblr is utterly alien to me.

My general Twitter hates:

-People who constantly retweet or make sick owns of the sitting President that he will never ever read and are destined for nothing more than a spot in a dusty floor of the new wing in the Library of Congress that's going to be needed to store all of his tweets and interactions. Like anyone else who is sane I have Trump blocked on Twitter - it's not even about his lovely politics, it's because I have no desire to read the same tweet 20 times in a row as everyone says "Yeah but you're a oval office mate" and gets 100 retweets for it. Unfortunately this means that half the timeline is just "This tweet is unavilable" which if anything increases my desire to mute even further.

-People who retweet literally every tweet from one of their other accounts on their main or 2nd account. In a row. All of their week's tweets, at one single time. People ACTUALLY do this. You have achieved nothing but flooding the timeline of everybody unfortunate enough to follow you, you are a complete arsehole and frankly you deserve to be straight up kicked in the nuts.

-Tweetchaining, tweetstorming, manthreading, whatever it's called now. 20, 30, 50 tweets in a row. Get a blogger account, a livejournal, anything, just shut the gently caress up and shitpost like everyone else.

-Retweeting 95% of the terrible poo poo that Buzzfeed puts out is virtually a guaranteed mute. Make an effort to find whatever original article they've been ripping off or otherwise find a source who actually treats the people who work for them properly. The only thing that Buzzfeed puts out that's worth a piss is Worth It. And that one article a couple of weeks ago about the crazy Internet family exploitation people.

-General endless whining and moaning about anything and everything, being an insincere liar who wants to get in on every single hashtag and make it about them, clearly enjoying your big cult of personality while publically claiming that you don't have such a thing, constant "Hey why don't you buy me a coffee?" bullshit, spreading nothing but negativity...general life peeves translating perfectly to social media.

-Those bloody comedy hashtags that are like "#ReplaceMovieTitleWithBallsack" "#MovieTitlesButOculusRift", "#MovieTitlesIn4WordsWithTrump". Not funny. Ever. At any point.

-People who don't think that this is the best Tweet ever:

https://twitter.com/50cent/status/22201409032

Something like that. Merry Christmas, let's crack open some bottles!

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 25, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Justice posted:

Now there's a social media network that I do not and will not ever understand. Tumblr is utterly alien to me.

My general Twitter hates:

-Tweetchaining, tweetstorming, manthreading, whatever it's called now. 20, 30, 50 tweets in a row. Get a blogger account, a livejournal, anything, just shut the gently caress up and shitpost like everyone else.

Yeah, that really exacerbates the terrible way Twitter fails to deal with responses and conversations, because people respond to each and every one of them and it's entirely disjointed.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
For a video review of a sexy Medusa statue this video is surprisingly thoughtful and very entertaining. I mean he didn't convince me it was anything other than a sexy Medusa statue for sad shut-ins but he did a bloody good job all the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eMbrkEIHQ4

Its by a bloke by the name of BardicBroadcasts whose only real claim to youtube fame thus far was his comedic review of Heroquest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wrageowrapper posted:

For a video review of a sexy Medusa statue this video is surprisingly thoughtful and very entertaining. I mean he didn't convince me it was anything other than a sexy Medusa statue for sad shut-ins but he did a bloody good job all the same.

Its by a bloke by the name of BardicBroadcasts whose only real claim to youtube fame thus far was his comedic review of Heroquest.

Of all internet critics, this guy has the best speaking voice.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 25, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Twitter was poo poo even before it became rampantly fascist.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kim Justice posted:

Tumblr is Twitter except with full blog posts instead of just a couple of sentences. Part of the reason I never got into Twitter was that it just felt like a step backward from Tumblr.

Course the only reason I even still use Tumblr is because of heavy, heavy curation of blogs I follow down to just the good ones I actually enjoy reading, mostly theatre blogs and a couple of political blogs. And the internet review crew, naturally, though I think Allison is the only one still active there. (or at least I only ever see new posts from her)

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Tumblr is Twitter except with full blog posts instead of just a couple of sentences. Part of the reason I never got into Twitter was that it just felt like a step backward from Tumblr.

Course the only reason I even still use Tumblr is because of heavy, heavy curation of blogs I follow down to just the good ones I actually enjoy reading, mostly theatre blogs and a couple of political blogs. And the internet review crew, naturally, though I think Allison is the only one still active there. (or at least I only ever see new posts from her)

So, the same as me, then. Tumblr has somewhat of a reputation as a hellsite, though I'm not sure if that's just because of the fact that the userbase skews young and to the progressive side. But there's also all manner of bugs and poo poo that users have had to deal with, as well as constant unwanted revisions from the staff.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like this encapsulates everything about twitter, good and bad, and that it is indeed mostly bad:

https://twitter.com/realjameswoods/status/944847235870683136

I mean, I liked Hercules too, but yikes.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The weird face he makes at the end of just about every shot is a bit much, though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

business hammocks posted:

I feel like this encapsulates everything about twitter, good and bad, and that it is indeed mostly bad:

https://twitter.com/realjameswoods/status/944847235870683136

I mean, I liked Hercules too, but yikes.

i would love to see idiots like james woods blow a gasket over vice president (or even president) keith ellison, noted out-and-proud muslim. i don't know what deity i need to pray to in order for it to happen, but man.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Moatman posted:

Also the sex scenes are hilariously poorly written

e: actually gonna censor that first one a bit more

:vince:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Wrageowrapper posted:

This guy has good taste in art.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

For me its this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME8REocVFOo

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

This makes the count two for internet critics whose voices one wants to hear.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

He sounds like Roald Dahl and and I want him to be my grandfather.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Pirate Jenny posted:

Seeing all this about Landis come out now reminds me of the Louis CK deal, albeit with the still less fact checked space we're in now where it came out via Twitter instead of the New York Times. This has been an "open secret" since before I even knew Chronicle existed. But I've been saying this for weeks - I don't know a single woman in LA who doesn't know someone with a creepy Max Landis story. How the HELL has it taken this long to come out?

Because it seems like in general white dudes have trouble listening to non-whites or non-dudes, especially pertaining to the faults of other white dudes?

I don't mean to be a jerk about it, but that's kind of the trend. Remember when people were defending pewdiepie's "kill all jews" "prank," insisting that it couldn't possibly imply anything hosed up about him, at least until he actually said the N-word during a stream? Even then he's still incredibly popular. I mean, I'll hope this time Landis et al will be shunned like the creepers they are, but, you know, I'll believe it when I see it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“He’s just a (30?-year-old) kid! He didn’t understand!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Thing is, Pewdiepie and WSJ was kind of a hit job in a way. Like, the whole Fiverr thing was a Keemstar jab that got out of hand ("Subscribe to Keemstar" was the other thing he paid them to display). The other big bit where he's in full Nazi regalia was part of a skit commenting on things being taken out of context by the press, which then...well, got taken out of context by the press lol. So there is all that. Like, if I'm going to criticise PDP for that, then I may as well criticise all the other pro folk who've done skits like that and executed them well if it's purely about the props or the costume or the whatever...not that the execution was any good, but I see it as jokes that missed the mark more than anything.

And then the idiot goes ahead and says "What a loving n-word!!!" on stream, and it's not exactly the first time...like, I can still believe that in doing such a thing he was being ridiculously immature and stupid. I actually can, because he's a thoroughly sheltered YouTuber who was basically brought up by the Internet. He was raised by Internet culture. I don't think he's actually super racist. But still, god-drat IT you foolish foolish idiot, what are you doing.

The whole Pewds situation still remains crazy for me in that the biggest guy on YouTube had NO monitoring. NO team behind him. NOTHING. Just do whatever, dude! Here's a big fuckoff Disney contract!...like, as dumb as Felix is that's on them too for just chucking money his way and then not actually bothering to learn or monitor any single freaking thing about it, just thinking that "HEY CLEARLY THIS SWEDISH GUY WHO LETS PLAYS SCARY GAMES AND EVEN THE MOST CURSORY SEARCH WOULD SHOW THAT PEOPLE HAVE CALLED HIM OUT FOR MAKING EDGY JOKES ABOUT RAPE AND ALL THAT ISN'T GOING TO DO ANYTHING TO SPOIL THE GOOSE" is obviously not the way to go about life...I just don't understand. If I were Pewdiepie I would have a loving team around me doing literally everything. PR, editing, making the vids, the works...like sure I'll have to pay them, but I'll be making that money for a hell of a lot longer. I might have a future beyond the time when the balloon inevitably goes up on this whole thing. Nearly 20 million subscribers and no-one who's paying him thought it was a good idea to manage him in any way...sorry, but that's colossally, unbelievably stupid. If I was Pewds I'd probably use the R-word there.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Pewds gets a lot of the blame for the youtube "adpocalypse" too. I think the timing works out pretty well to that end since I thought a lot of the advertisers leaving and YouTube cracking down on "advertiser unfriendly" stuff came pretty close after he tanked all his contracts.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
There’s got to be a story behind Joel Osteen’s appearance on the Movie Nights set in the Santa with Muscles episode.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Pewds gets a lot of the blame for the youtube "adpocalypse" too. I think the timing works out pretty well to that end since I thought a lot of the advertisers leaving and YouTube cracking down on "advertiser unfriendly" stuff came pretty close after he tanked all his contracts.

It was a perfect storm, in that so much poo poo suddenly happened at the same time. You've got the biggest channel on YouTube being such a big thing on the news, people noticing that IS propaganda videos have ads on them, YouTube's ad policy utterly firing back in their faces...many of these things were destined to happen eventually and then they all happen at the exact same time. The big problem at the heart of it all is YouTube and Google's reticence to monitor anything through human eyes and rely on anything except their algorithm as opposed to basic common sense. And their answer to it all? Improve the algorithm. This is not a cycle we have seen the last of, I'm sure.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kim Justice posted:

It was a perfect storm, in that so much poo poo suddenly happened at the same time. You've got the biggest channel on YouTube being such a big thing on the news, people noticing that IS propaganda videos have ads on them, YouTube's ad policy utterly firing back in their faces...many of these things were destined to happen eventually and then they all happen at the exact same time. The big problem at the heart of it all is YouTube and Google's reticence to monitor anything through human eyes and rely on anything except their algorithm as opposed to basic common sense. And their answer to it all? Improve the algorithm. This is not a cycle we have seen the last of, I'm sure.
Youtube doesn't make Google the kind of money (if it actually makes money at all, which I'm not sure it does?) it needs for them to hire people to actually look at things. Same problem that twitter has.

So it'll never really be fixed really. The bottom just has to completely fall out from under it.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Pirate Jenny posted:

You know, other than the hypothetical good it might do for my mental health.

Heck yeah! Even if you want to undelete, don't to it until after New Years. Have fun with, y'know, real life human beings who you enjoy being around and who love you.

You can always just get a Brand Manager who posts Official Content Announcement tweets, peppered with the occasional On-Brand Retweet of an Article that Provides Synergy.

Or just let Kali randomly lick the Retweet button. It's just as effective.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Back from Christmas. My daughter is 20 months old, just old enough to grok opening presents and being cute.

Time to unload the DSLR...

1100 JPG+RAW files and 10 1080p movies, totaling 28gb.

Even though I'm going to have to sort those photos and edit that footage, I have ZERO regrets.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sage put up his review of Endless Waltz. It's what you'd expect from a show as batshit nonsensical as Gundam Wing. My biggest surprise however is that he considers Stardust Memory to be criminally underrated.

I mean, I can understand liking the show for its looks, because 0083 is one of the best looking Gundam shows, but I'm wondering if we watched the same series. 0083's plot is okay but it's storytelling and most if it's characters are infuriating.

Anyways Sage is closing out the month with Best Gundam: War in the Pocket.
Hope you like hamburgers for Christmas.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

sounds like he already talked about both Best Gundams already though

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

sounds like he already talked about both Best Gundams already though

I don't see any G Gundam.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yardbomb posted:

I don't see any G Gundam.

Yeah that's pretty hosed that he hasn't talked about it.

Also I'm still waiting for him to get to Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Thing is, Pewdiepie and WSJ was kind of a hit job in a way. Like, the whole Fiverr thing was a Keemstar jab that got out of hand ("Subscribe to Keemstar" was the other thing he paid them to display). The other big bit where he's in full Nazi regalia was part of a skit commenting on things being taken out of context by the press, which then...well, got taken out of context by the press lol.
The WSJ piece wasn't a hit job in the least. Not at all. Not even a tiny little bit. The Wall Street Journal is, first and foremost, a financial paper. Pewdiepie is YouTube's single largest public facing asset, to put it in financial terms. That Felix is, in turn, running around pulling stunts like this, regardless of the inciting motivation, is absurdly relevant when it comes to prospecting the health of YouTube as a platform. Felix isn't just some dude down the street making videos, he's a small corporation. Idiots got bent out of shape because the Journal had the temerity to actually take him seriously and not put on the double-padded gloves just because he's a known dumbass. Because, hey, it turns out advertisers and the other kinds of people who tend to read the WSJ found Felix's asinine shenanigans deeply relevant to their interests.

Like, "it was a Keemstar jab that got out of hand" isn't an excuse, it's just an explanation. It tells you how we got here, but changes nothing about the scenario.

Ditto for the other bit. It wasn't "taken out of context" because it is, on its face, an intentionally offensive gesture. Out of context would be sharing screengrabs from Inglorious Basterds and claiming Christoph Waltz is a Nazi. Out of context would be if Felix were actually doing a sketch. "I'm going to sit here dressed like a Nazi specifically because I know it will offend people, and then I can say 'gotcha' when they're predictably offended" isn't an improvement in context.

The point the WSJ piece ultimately raised was "if this is the kind of stuff the biggest names on YouTube are up to, then who has their hand on the wheel?" is such a ludicrously relevant and important question that the fact so many YouTubers of all stripes decided to circle the wagons and scream "hit piece" makes me want to choke people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Lol "he only dresses as a Nazi and had dudes wave a bigoted sign that got them banned from a big income source while he faced nothing in order to prove that the (((crooked media))) would say it's bad, which those fuckers did. Actually that means he won"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kim Justice posted:

The thing that gets me is that, you know, I can understand why they'd be gunshy about hiring people to monitor their system, because it's so loving huge I don't think even the people running the company have any idea how big it is. Like, they have the numbers but the actual scope of the website is mind numbing.

Let's start with video games. We've got game reviewers, game streamers, game trailers, game podcasts, LP's, walkthrough's, speedruns, OST's, remixes, industry watching, machinma, tournaments, retrospectives, documentaries, collectibles, cosplay, conventions and everything else I'm forgetting. There are entire communities uploading content to YouTube on any one of those given subjects. And that's just the video games section, board games, DnD, sports all have just as huge if not larger communities doing the same thing.

Now expand that to include any given topic you can think of. Knitting, sewing, painting, music, home improvement, math, history, academia in general, movies, politics, puppies.

Now multiply by the number of languages YouTube is available in.

Add in businesses trying to advertise to very specific groups from all of those categories, catering to their specific regions and languages, and yeah, trying to put people in charge of monitoring all that is basically impossible. Where would you even start?

• Locked thread