Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

Oh no, not complaining in the complain about video games thread :qq:

I googled it the moment I realized the money system was strangely uneven, and it is one of the worst design decisions I've seen in a game, let's concentrate 99.99% of all rewards at the completion of 0.01% of the content. Also make sure virtually all the side missions have no pay off whatsoever, monetarily, or narratively.

Cummun drive a tow truck for this crack whore for an hour.

I gave up on the "narrative" in GTA V for good when franks ex who left him for a doctor ran into his apartment and said he had to rescue uber gently caress-up Lamar from some crackhead stronghold in order to "keep it real".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
But that supercar-stealing mission with the long race was cool.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Cummun drive a tow truck for this crack whore for an hour.

I gave up on the "narrative" in GTA V for good when franks ex who left him for a doctor ran into his apartment and said he had to rescue uber gently caress-up Lamar from some crackhead stronghold in order to "keep it real".

it's really weird and dumb how they keep trying to push this serious crime narrative in GTA when it's totally at odds not just with the playstyle but also literally every other detail they managed to put in the world. When half of the things you're driving by on the way to a Serious Crime for Serious Reasons are covered in cynical parody billboards there's some loving brutal tonal whiplash.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think it's serious at all... but it also isn't a parody because the underlying structure of the plot isn't challenged. It feels a lot like somebody read a script to a heist movie and decided to make their riffs on the story into the dialogue.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

it's really weird and dumb how they keep trying to push this serious crime narrative in GTA when it's totally at odds not just with the playstyle but also literally every other detail they managed to put in the world. When half of the things you're driving by on the way to a Serious Crime for Serious Reasons are covered in cynical parody billboards there's some loving brutal tonal whiplash.

Just :lol: if you think any point in GTA 5, at all, is being 100% serious. Any serious moment in GTA 5 is pretty much like that brief serious moment in a comedy; and make no mistake the game is a massive parody while also kind of being the thing it's parodying. But it's in no way even a little bit serious though. Doubly so since I play the Online side of things a lot and now there's crazy AIs, a flying Delorean and the Batman car.

Now GTA 4.. if that's what you're talking about.. that was loving tonal whiplash. That was trying to be serious and have a sympathetic main character who wouldn't have the heart to kill an unarmed bad guy, who would then plow over a sidewalk without giving even a single gently caress. Fortunately GTA 4 did lead to great parodies of this in both Saint's Row 4 and the creation of Trevor in GTA 5, a character designed to literally act 100% consistent between cut scenes and gameplay. No matter which of the characters you favored, there's no arguing Trevor was the most honest with how you were going to act the second the movie ended..

I guess what i'm saying is it totally depends which GTA and the reason 4 is such a.. debatable chapter is how realistic they tried to get. It's more of the exception to the rule since Vice City and San Andreas were of the same comedic tone as 5: 4 was so notable this way a lot of people thought of GTA as the "serious" crime sandbox vs Saint's Row and totally forgot that until 4 GTA itself was a comedy.

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think it's serious at all... but it also isn't a parody because the underlying structure of the plot isn't challenged. It feels a lot like somebody read a script to a heist movie and decided to make their riffs on the story into the dialogue.

Again, guessing you're talking about part 4. Part 5 has missions like "We need a plane so let's steal it off a US Naval Carrier and kill half the crew, FOR AMERICA!" and it seems to know how loving ridiculously stupid it is and revel in it so it's actually kind of fun.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 21, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I've only played like twenty minutes of V and it seemed like more of the same from IV based on the huge marketing campaign, so if they really did dial back the melodrama from IV that's good. But...still kinda too little too late, since it put me off the series and there are other open world crime games that suit my needs these days.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I've only played like twenty minutes of V and it seemed like more of the same from IV based on the huge marketing campaign, so if they really did dial back the melodrama from IV that's good. But...still kinda too little too late, since it put me off the series and there are other open world crime games that suit my needs these days.

It starts out with the most "normal" of the three protagonists. Then you get to Trevor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ubQWiIfGNc

..who single handedly fixes the entire franchise.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i guess autismal nitpicking about jrpgs is, with the mainstreaming of gaming in the last decade, an unpopular video game opinion

RPG is such an overused blanket term now. People said JRPG a lot back when the only real type of game that described was DQ or FF-likes, and it seems ridiculous to call loving Yakuza 0 (Dan from Giant Bomb did this a lot) a JRPG. Like its from Japan and it has stats, thats pretty much every loving game made in Japan these days.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

romanowski posted:

it's actually extremely hosed up how little love skies of arcadia gets in general

I loved SoA but im not gonna pretend that it doesnt have quite a few flaws, especially the drat encounter rate

Taht being said I love ship to ship battles and I wish there was more of that kind of stuff in games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

skies of arcadia always looked cool but the gamecube version was apparently worse somehow and also it's like $160 now with no chance of a rerelease

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blazing Ownager posted:

It starts out with the most "normal" of the three protagonists. Then you get to Trevor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ubQWiIfGNc

..who single handedly fixes the entire franchise.

In a way each of the characters represents a different aspect of a GTA protagonist at first.

Franklin is a straightforward “wants to get rich and get out of his life” like a GTA character you might expect.

Michael is a basically the protagonist of a former GTA game that got rich and retired after running out of stuff to do.

And as you say, Trevor is the protagonist that represents how players actually play.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

skies of arcadia always looked cool but the gamecube version was apparently worse somehow and also it's like $160 now with no chance of a rerelease

um whoever told you it was worse is lying, it's the same game but with more content, kind of improved graphics, and a noticeably decreased encounter rate (with exp rebalanced to make up for it)

the ship battles are great but the regular battle system is pretty good too, it has enough twists to it that it requires at least some thought to strategy beyond just spamming your strongest magic attack. you also get a base halfway through the game that you can build by finding new crew members and I like that kind of stuff

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

Just :lol: if you think any point in GTA 5, at all, is being 100% serious.

The "mini games" including the tow truck missions were seriously boring at least.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fruit on the bottom posted:

In a way each of the characters represents a different aspect of a GTA protagonist at first.

Franklin is a straightforward “wants to get rich and get out of his life” like a GTA character you might expect.

Michael is a basically the protagonist of a former GTA game that got rich and retired after running out of stuff to do.

And as you say, Trevor is the protagonist that represents how players actually play.

i thought they were supposed to represent the protagonists from the three GTA 3 games. Trevor is GTA 3, Michael is vice city and Franklin is san andreas

I only played a bit of gta5

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

here's an unpopular opinion about futuretech and reviving a lovely dead genre, the MMO:

people are doing more poo poo with AI all the time and it's only getting weirder

i think the best application of this would be an MMO

feed a computer a few D&D manuals from a few different editions, some sci-fi books, and the griefing thread's posts about ultima online and everquest as source material, let it hum away undisturbed by human minds for a few months, and then spin up the servers and explore your surreal worlds where nothing quite makes sense except according to its own internal "logic", and you equip HP as armor in the form of dogs or something absurd like that

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

here's an unpopular opinion about futuretech and reviving a lovely dead genre, the MMO:

people are doing more poo poo with AI all the time and it's only getting weirder

i think the best application of this would be an MMO

feed a computer a few D&D manuals from a few different editions, some sci-fi books, and the griefing thread's posts about ultima online and everquest as source material, let it hum away undisturbed by human minds for a few months, and then spin up the servers and explore your surreal worlds where nothing quite makes sense except according to its own internal "logic", and you equip HP as armor in the form of dogs or something absurd like that

Luckily you don't have to wait for machine learning to experience this, because Space Funeral already exists!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it's super weird that people always lose their minds when Nintendo games feature poo poo that other games already have, and act like Nintendo pioneered it. Like, the hang glider in Zelda. You'd think it was the first game to ever do it with the way people talk about it. Or photo mode in Mario. Like that's a really common feature in games and the Mario one isn't even that robust compared to most of them.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
When something has a large and rabid fanbase, that's pretty par for the course. It's also something that happens when a feature is included in an overall more solid whole. Like how many innovations are credited to Apple/iPhones that were first seen in other phones, but which were just worse/less popular than iPhones overall.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I'm playing through Final Fantasy 5 right now and it has the best mechanics out of all the FFs through 9 I think. The job system is just way more fun than materia or espers and less obtuse than junctoning. It's just very delightful to play, and with the original graphics, the colors just pop really nicely. FF4, 6, 7, and 9 are fun to think about playing, but 5 will always be more fun to actually sit down and play.

I can't stand 8. I got a lovely scratched disc from a blockbuster and can't remember poo poo except it had a weirdly fun card game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oscar Wild posted:

I'm playing through Final Fantasy 5 right now and it has the best mechanics out of all the FFs through 9 I think. The job system is just way more fun than materia or espers and less obtuse than junctoning. It's just very delightful to play, and with the original graphics, the colors just pop really nicely. FF4, 6, 7, and 9 are fun to think about playing, but 5 will always be more fun to actually sit down and play.

I can't stand 8. I got a lovely scratched disc from a blockbuster and can't remember poo poo except it had a weirdly fun card game.

FF5 has some great challenge hack roms, if you want to get even further beyond! one turns the game into a roguelike

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/957/

https://github.com/abyssonym/grand_cross

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Jeza posted:

When something has a large and rabid fanbase, that's pretty par for the course. It's also something that happens when a feature is included in an overall more solid whole. Like how many innovations are credited to Apple/iPhones that were first seen in other phones, but which were just worse/less popular than iPhones overall.

nintendo and apple both are more about refining existing features than just adding features wholesale that don't really work in their ecosystems yet

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Rutibex posted:

FF5 has some great challenge hack roms, if you want to get even further beyond! one turns the game into a roguelike

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/957/

https://github.com/abyssonym/grand_cross

That's awesome, thanks! I first played FF5 in like 1994 or 95 on an emulator but it holds up really well.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Oscar Wild posted:

Yea, 5 and Tactics are really good because the job system is so robust. Tactics has a bunch of difficulty mods and total conversion mods too.

I tried out the infamously difficult FFT romhack and I had trouble even getting through the prolouge battle with gafgarion at the church because all the random NPCs had stuff like Auto-potion and nobody but Gafgarion could do more than 30 damage at a time. Very fun way to start the mod, with a guest battle where you cant control anyone but Ramza and only one of the CPU controlled guests can actually damage anyone

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Theres a total conversion called journey of the Five where you get special characters and jobs for Solid Snake, Ramza, Cloud, Link and Dante, lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Last of Us is possibly the best multiplayer game ever.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

should I buy a 3ds, or a switch?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Away all Goats posted:

There's more games on the 3DS. If you like Monster Hunter, it's either not coming to switch or taking a real long time. Switch has Zelda, though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Away all Goats posted:

do you not have a smartphone?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

OMGVBFLOL posted:

do you not have a smartphone?

I do but touchscreen controls are terrible. Also like the vast majority of them are some combination of online-only, free to play, grindy bullshit

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi was fun and good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 was the best one

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Away all Goats posted:

I do but touchscreen controls are terrible. Also like the vast majority of them are some combination of online-only, free to play, grindy bullshit

there's millions of phone games. 99% of them are hot trash, but that still leaves many thousands of really good ones. Just get a $20 Bluetooth controller for you phone if you want to get fancy and avoid the touch screen

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

:dice: are one of the worst things to ever happen to gaming.

Bf1942: unranked free-for all, tons of mods, gimmick maps, general stupidity

Bf2: persistant online ranks that unock weapon that can take MONTHS of grinding. Your progress towards rank only counts on official servers, No more mods, no more custom maps

Oh and the Desert Combat mod that went on to become BF2 was better than the finished product.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pound_Coin posted:

Bf2: persistant online ranks that unock weapon that can take MONTHS of grinding. Your progress towards rank only counts on official servers, No more mods, no more custom maps

Oh and the Desert Combat mod that went on to become BF2 was better than the finished product.

BF2 had mods and they were a little bit better than the ones for bf1942 but a lot of desert combat's conceits were a lot more interesting than the ones of bf2(for example, guided weapons being dumbfire weapons with splash was far more interesting gameplay wise than the lockon weapons that any good player could avoid).

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yeah the “stinger” that just used the flak guns’ mechanics was genius

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pound_Coin posted:

BF1 is one of the shittiest FPS I have ever played. I was actually shocked at how backwards these games have become since the days of Halo 2.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pound_Coin posted:

I don't know it suffered the same (this is the unpopular opinion thread) change in feel when Unreal Tournament went from 99 to 2003 or whatnot.

It took on a really different feel once people started taking it seriously and I never really got into it again.

ED: I did play and enjoy BF3 for a while until I realized that the only usable class was engineer with explosive slugs and an anti-tank weapon and anything else was for suckers.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yeah the “stinger” that just used the flak guns’ mechanics was genius

Motherfuckers need to port searigs and basrah's edge already.

I could be wrong, but i think the BF series was the first to move to the persistant ranked account poo poo that every game has now?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The whole point of Battlefield is dicking around. Who cares about ranked poo poo just get in a tank with some buddies and bs about life.

Bad company 2 was top ten MP games ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Super high end graphics poo poo is really impressive. 4K HDR poo poo that is designed for it generally looks amazing and I don't fault people for buying 144hz crazy rear end monitors if they can afford it, because it's just that fuckin nice. Graphical quality contributes to the experience of having a good time playing games beyond the aesthetic and while I appreciate technically efficient graphical styles, aint nothin wrong with being a "graphics whore" these days. Bring on the high res texture packs