Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Der Shovel posted:

How about my earlier question, though. Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of the Queen Elizabeth vs. the Bayern? Does either line turn to poo poo later on and should be avoided at all costs?

Go British BBs. I don't have any British BBs but the time to play German BBs has come and gone imo.

The Bayern and Gneiseneau are the sweet spots in the German BB line. It gets lovely after that. Not that the ships themselves are bad but they uptier poorly and their main strength of brawling progressively becomes a liability rather than a strength. As you go up in tiers, Battleships in general, especially German ones lose more and more mobility and get progressively larger. Both the Fat Freddy (T9) and the GKF (T10) are simply massive ships with poor turning rates that are torpedo magnets. Torpedoes progressively get faster and more stealthy with longer ranges making it harder and harder to get in close. German main gun accuracy is also the worst across the board and they have the fewest forward facing guns at most tiers meaning that sniping doesn't do much for your cause and you can't do the mid range 15km snipes that the USN ships can do.

Ever since they lowered the citadels on the USN line of BBs, the turtleback scheme of the Germans has turned from a strength into a liability as well. Before they buffed the USN BBs, if you got in close against USN ships and could get a broadside shot on them, it was citadel city and you would bend them over and drill them unlubed. The penalty for this was that since you had thick armor that fused shells, once you get up to T8+ and everyone has big guns, you would take full pen damage a lot of the time on the way in but it was usually worth it. But nowadays, even if you make it past all the torpedoes, don't get BBQ'd to death by cruisers, you still have to get really lucky to get citadel shots off to KO USN ships before you get torn apart yourself. Meanwhile any shot that doesn't citadel USN BBs typically are overpens.

The other flavour that German BBs excel at with high powered secondaries also gets worse as you get into T9 and T10. Once again thats just a function of having more torpedo spamming DDs that have long range, fast moving torps that are hard to spot. You really have to do some Professor X poo poo sometimes especially if you get 4 or 5 DDs on a team.

That said German BBs are probably the best at stomping the competition when downtiered, for mostly the same reasons except reversed. The torpedo threat isn't nearly as bad and with shorter ranges in general at lower tiers, secondaries once again become a big factor. I still get decent (150k damage) games on occasion with the Bismarck and its fun curb stomping T6 and T7 opposition but being up tiered against Yamatos and Montanas isn't fun at all. but I haven't touched the GKF in many weeks now.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

German BBs are the least funnest BBs atm with few exceptions, and are the most problematic BBs to play when up-tiered.

The QE is a uhhhh hosed and mediocre but the KGV gets good and the Monarch is OK. The British line culminates in the Conq which is broke as gently caress and still OP.

Edit: Mike doesn't mention the Bismark, hence my asking

Is there any truth to the Bismark being broken and/or lovely now? All i've seen lately is how it's horrible, but I've always heard until recently it's awesome. Also, if/when I ever get a t10, Yamato or German b? I'm a filty casual, but have some free xp saved up and should get to t10 by 2031 :derp:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Catpants McStabby posted:

Edit: Mike doesn't mention the Bismark, hence my asking

Is there any truth to the Bismark being broken and/or lovely now? All i've seen lately is how it's horrible, but I've always heard until recently it's awesome. Also, if/when I ever get a t10, Yamato or German b? I'm a filty casual, but have some free xp saved up and should get to t10 by 2031 :derp:

Bismarck didn't get worse, it's still great top tier, the only problem it has is being the weakest of the four tree tier 8 BBs when playing bottom tier, which happens more often these days.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I kinda liked the Bayern. But im also weird and thought the Gneezy was pretty good too - fast, tanky. Yes only six guns with bad accuracy. But since you have torps and passable secondaries I would just get close and the guns worked well enough at shorter range.

Did not really like the QE. Does not have the ridiculous turning circle like the Warspite. But the KGV is fantastic. 10 guns, 25 sec reload, nasty HE shells. Range is a bit underwhelming.

I think ultimately the British line is better at tier IX and X, if you care about high tier games

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Catpants McStabby posted:

There was a time about 18 months ago when German BBs were still new ships that the Bismarck was literally the terror of T8 but meta conditions as well as a string of small but noticeable debuffs have steadily eroded its standing. It was always treated as a god tier ship so it took a while for perception to catch up to reality. The Bismarck has lost its top dog status for quite a long time now.

At that time T10 games weren't nearly as prevalent and the Bismarck got its fair share of being top tier. Nowadays, most of my daily Bismarck games are T9 or higher. I do get the occasional top tier game but it feels rare (personal bias maybe?). Being top tier is important because the Bismarck, like all German BBs, have bad dispersion and bad penetration curves on their AP making them easy shatters and bounces at long ranges. However, most T7 and lower battleships only have 25mm deck and bow armor and the Bismarck guns overmatch that stuff so you don't care about so much about the penetration power. As long as it explodes in the ship, you are all good. Once you get to T8 and higher, the armor scheme changes to 32mm across the board so you get a fuckton of bounces and shatters that you didn't have to deal with as a top tier ship. This goes for cruisers too. Germans were never good at citadel hunting but as long as you can land shells, even a mix of overpens and regular pens was good enough to tell cruisers gently caress off. With better cruiser armor at higher tiers its even harder to do damage now.

German secondaries also got nerfed a while back. The Bismarck features 16x105mm rapid firing secondary guns. It used to have a 9% fire chance that could be buffed to 12% with flags and skills. It was never the actual damage from secondary batteries that made them so obnoxious. It was always the mass amount of fires that they started on enemy BBs. This has now been nerfed to 5% base chance and you can boost it up to 8% with skills and flags. Once you take into account innate firefighting chance most ships get, its essentially a huge nerf. It takes a lot longer on average to start fires so between the time it takes for you to get 2 fires, force a damage con, and then get another fire to start really cooking them, they might have gotten away from your secondary range or help managed to arrive or they could have blasted you several times with their guns into your super structure. They compensated this by giving German secondaries built in IFHE and a bit more range but in reality it doesn't come close to making up for the lost fire damage.

Bismarck Hydro also got nerfed so your torpedo warning also took a hit.

Finally the player base has mostly caught on in terms of how to deal with German BBs in terms of game knowledge. When the German BBs first launched (when I started playing) everyone was hunting citadels but the Germans with turtleback were essentially immune to this issue. Players would aim for the waterline, lose half their shells to dispersion in the water and then only get a few regular pens on the super thick turtle back. You could literally sail around broadside on and not get punished in German ships. Nowadays, most of the regulars who aren't brain dead know to target the weatherdeck. German weatherdeck armor is thick unlike most other country's BBs and will fuse AP shells so stuff that hits high will be regular pens and not overpens. So landing a ton of shells which all fuse and explode for full damage value means that these days, if you give broadside in a German ship, you are probably eating close to the same amount of damage as them landing a few citadels on you.

Its essentially death by a thousand cuts. But the Bismarck is still dominant when down tiered. As Rabbit said though, it feels really rare.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
I've not played in a long time and got one of those please come back emails...will that stack with the refer a friend bonus (last game played was in Feb '17)? Might be just enough to give it another look. When I stopped the newest line was German DD's I believe, that or UK Cruisers.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
IS there a good guide explaining proper aiming, knowing penetration values, etc. while I can hit stuff and occasionally get a citidel, I still like I'm severely lacking in knowing the mechanics. This being a wargaming product after all it isn't exactly clear up front.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Ranked is pain because the Benson isn't toothy enough to gun down other DDs and when I do well in cruisers/battleships I'm still relying on the rest of my team to not throw. I think I'll get the 23/Aki tomorrow and give that a go because killing DDs is the most important thing.

I just want to escape the rising tide of poo poo before the warbeasties are all around me.

Hencoe posted:

IS there a good guide explaining proper aiming, knowing penetration values, etc. while I can hit stuff and occasionally get a citidel, I still like I'm severely lacking in knowing the mechanics. This being a wargaming product after all it isn't exactly clear up front.

It isn't quite as easy as World of Tanks or whatever because there are no pen indicators and it is one of those things you just kind of have to go by rules of thumb and learn specifics over time. There's a good aiming video in the OP that kind of works, though, and after a while you'll get better at shooting.

Unless you're like me and you're like a year into the game and you still can't use spotter planes because you're retarded

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Ranked is pain because the Benson isn't toothy enough to gun down other DDs and when I do well in cruisers/battleships I'm still relying on the rest of my team to not throw. I think I'll get the 23/Aki tomorrow and give that a go because killing DDs is the most important thing.

I just want to escape the rising tide of poo poo before the warbeasties are all around me.

It isn't quite as easy as World of Tanks or whatever because there are no pen indicators and it is one of those things you just kind of have to go by rules of thumb and learn specifics over time. There's a good aiming video in the OP that kind of works, though, and after a while you'll get better at shooting.

Unless you're like me and you're like a year into the game and you still can't use spotter planes because you're retarded

I don't know how you guys can't use spotter planes. It makes it so much more easy to shoot someone at range / behind cover. You can really get a good idea of their speed and direction even if you aren't using navigator. The only annoying thing is, if you are in a habit of constantly mouse looking around you between shots, you can find your view has suddenly snapped backwards or something.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Just got a Kidd from a supercontainer (1st time I get a ship).
It seems to be a very gimmicky boat and I don't know what captain to use for it, I have a 19pt Gearing with RPF and the torp reload skill but it doesn't feel very appropriate, I think Kidd need either Manual AA or Basic Fire training.
What other ship do you think would best share a captain with the Kidd ? if I use a dedicated captain I fear he will never get to 17 or so points as I won't use it much (I own a ton of premiums)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Krogort posted:

What other ship do you think would best share a captain with the Kidd ? if I use a dedicated captain I fear he will never get to 17 or so points as I won't use it much (I own a ton of premiums)

Whichever captain you use in the Atlanta.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Krogort posted:

Just got a Kidd from a supercontainer (1st time I get a ship).

Man I wish I could get a supercontainer, period! I've been playing actively for two months now again, and I get 2-3 containers every day. I always pick supercontainer and I think I've received one supercontainer.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
10 Medium crates report (EU)

Scharnhorst
Okhotnik
Kamikaze (supercontainer)

4000 doubloons
3x flags

Only managed to play Scharnhorst so far, drat the thing is fun, even if I'm not particulary good with it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Lord Koth posted:

Given how poo poo tying exp to class-based mechanics can be in WoWP, let's not. Or bluntly, if you happen to be playing ground attack (or presumably a bomber), and it's a low cap map that your team takes a majority of early, WG has a message for you - get hosed.

You could never be that hosed in botes. Either there's still enemy ships to spot/strike, or you have won. But yes, I've known the joy of being in a GA/Bomber and capping all the bases then having nothing to do.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

You could never be that hosed in botes. Either there's still enemy ships to spot/strike, or you have won. But yes, I've known the joy of being in a GA/Bomber and capping all the bases then having nothing to do.

If I'm in my a-26, I'll just go around murdering the enemy bomber(s) to pass the time. In terms of GAs, if team capped fast, I look to position myself ready to catch the point that is down from 100% once it flips and unlocks. Otherwise, I'll use the forward cannons on the enemy gas. Granted, none of those help on xp exactly.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

Kerrow posted:

10 Medium crates report (EU)

Scharnhorst
Okhotnik
Kamikaze (supercontainer)

4000 doubloons
3x flags

Only managed to play Scharnhorst so far, drat the thing is fun, even if I'm not particulary good with it.

ugh lucky you. I got 10 mediums and 1 large and got 2000 dubloons, and everything else was camos/flags. Not happy about it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gonna blow soooooooooo much free ship silver when I get home finally kitting my premiums out fully with module upgrades. Thanks for giving me a huge chunk of zero-effort coin, WG!

Not sure if it's worth putting that super-expensive last mod on my Ark Beta, though. Thoughts?

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Gonna blow soooooooooo much free ship silver when I get home finally kitting my premiums out fully with module upgrades. Thanks for giving me a huge chunk of zero-effort coin, WG!

Not sure if it's worth putting that super-expensive last mod on my Ark Beta, though. Thoughts?

I wouldn't until you've got more coin padding unless you just happen to play your Ark Beta a decent amount. I usually kit out the stuff I'm more likely to play on any given day first.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
You know, while I know it's totally possible to get RNG hosed on the loot boxes, I'm always surprised at how decent the contents of the boxes are compared to other games. Bought 25 big boxes because I gotta Go Down Gamblin' and got ~15k dubloons (with a bonus 3 10-point Gallant captains from dupes), a Dunkerque, Giulio Cesare, Duca, and another 180 days of premium. Between last Christmas, the Halloween event, and this Christmas I don't think there's been a time where I haven't gotten 2 or 3 times the worth of poo poo compared to how much I've actually spent*.

*Though I guess with the amount of money I've spent on this game the real joke is on me

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I mean, equipment is 60% off now, hard to say no to that.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I've been getting nothing but tier 10 games in my tier 8s all day long.

See the furry Montana? Yeah he was broadside tanking a Yamato who somehow didn't kill him. His contribution was distracting the Yamato while I burned it down.

Even when I'm bottom tier it constantly feels like I have to play as hard as I can or my team will gravitate towards losing as surely as Skylab gravitated into the loving ocean.

Every so often I get like one guy who knows what he's doing and plays with me in jolly cooperation, and I love those pubbies. They are the best people. They make the world a better place. They get karma points.

I appreciate the fact that lovely teammates let me get monster games by leaving all the damage on the table but I've had so many games today where I had the only kills on my team in a bottom tier boat.

HFX posted:

I don't know how you guys can't use spotter planes. It makes it so much more easy to shoot someone at range / behind cover. You can really get a good idea of their speed and direction even if you aren't using navigator. The only annoying thing is, if you are in a habit of constantly mouse looking around you between shots, you can find your view has suddenly snapped backwards or something.

I just can't do it. I don't know how because I haven't had much experience in using them, and when I am using them, I am usually shooting at max range- which makes things even more difficult. It is funny though when you're playing your NC and some carrier gets lit way early and you drill his rear end because he's still sitting in the spawn.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 26, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Now that I'm no longer a "broadside all day erry day" Battleship player, I loving love the Arizona. Tanky, accurate and PUNISHING.

Highlight was spotting a Perth who thought he was hidden in smoke and was just casually sitting ~12 KM away from me. My AP broadside hit him pretty much full on, citadeled him and blew him the gently caress up. His reaction: "Hm." :v:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Der Shovel posted:

I loving love the Arizona. Tanky, accurate and PUNISHING.

Hello sir, have you heard of our lord and savior HMS Warspite?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sperglord Actual posted:

Hello sir, have you heard of our lord and savior HMS Warspite?

God damnit is this one of those talks that ends with me buying a new ship?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

Warspite isn’t tanky at loving all. It can turn and has amazing guns, but everything will full damage pen you at any angle and you’ll get your poo poo pushed in if you’re ever caught broadside.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Der Shovel posted:

The Warspite is all about those guns and it’s agility. Everything else is ehhhhhhh.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I need to play more cruisers. Should I get stupid paper Soviet cruisers, stupid paper French cruisers or actual stupid American cruisers? Already have Zao and Hindenburg, and Edinburgh, so not eager to get to Minotaur since I don’t really like the smoke gameplay.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Velius posted:

I need to play more cruisers. Should I get stupid paper Soviet cruisers, stupid paper French cruisers or actual stupid American cruisers? Already have Zao and Hindenburg, and Edinburgh, so not eager to get to Minotaur since I don’t really like the smoke gameplay.

Do you plan to do anything in particular with them (ranked, clan battles)?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

wdarkk posted:

Do you plan to do anything in particular with them (ranked, clan battles)?

I mostly use the Hindenburg for clan stuff. I don’t actually have any ships with radar to-date. I’ve gotten through Cleveland in the US tree, Schoors in the Soviet and tier 5 or 6 in French. I’ll probably do all of them eventually but I should probably focus one to actually get somewhere soon. I do generally enjoy AP more than HE so maybe the US tree would be best given their good normalization/pen?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Got the discounted 20-pack of medium boxes. Let's see what's in them.

x45 Dragon flags
x15 Ouroboros flags
x45 Wyvern flags
x15 Hydra flags
x60 Fir Tree camos
5k doubloons
Okhotnik
Perth
Giulio Cesare

Trying to decide whether I want to try a few more or just get more doubloons for discounted ships.

E: gently caress it, let's do this.

5k doubloons
x90 Fir Tree camos
x60 Wyvern flags
x30 Ouroboros flags
x30 Dragon flags
Mutsu

Not as satisfying as last year's haul, but all stuff I can use.

Somebody Awful fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 27, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Velius posted:

I mostly use the Hindenburg for clan stuff. I don’t actually have any ships with radar to-date. I’ve gotten through Cleveland in the US tree, Schoors in the Soviet and tier 5 or 6 in French. I’ll probably do all of them eventually but I should probably focus one to actually get somewhere soon. I do generally enjoy AP more than HE so maybe the US tree would be best given their good normalization/pen?

AP and radar is the American biscuit, yes

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Velius posted:

The russian CLs do have the super fun for DDs/UK cruisers long range radar. Shorter time active though.
Sounds like you want US cruisers though. I'm holding off on the line until I see what the new ones are like myself. Playing the Baltimore and New Orleans doesn't seem fun.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

NTRabbit posted:

AP and radar is the American biscuit, yes

The Soviet and French tier 10s have very high AP penetration at range even if the normalization is, well, normal.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Used doubloons to get Hood.

Was not expecting it to face tank Iowas. :stare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bah goddamned humbug, WG.

They've now tuned it in both WoT and WoWs that you don't get the gold/doubloon equivalent for their gifts - just the premium account and garage/port slot, with a zero-point Albany *captain* if you already have an Albany.

And I only used my ~come back~ windfall to deck out my really lucrative premiums, so as I see it, I didn't waste them so much as invest them in the only ships I have that are over Tier 5.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 27, 2017

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Rigging ranked by having 2 of my accounts in carriers face each other is really draining. Everyone on both teams hates you, even if you give them a good show. It's like pro wrestling.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ST, French battleships

Base range of secondary armaments was increased:

Richelieu and Gascogne, tier VIII - from 5 km to 7 km
Alsace, tier IX - from 7 to 7,5 km
France, tier X - from 7 to 8 km

:quagmire::france:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Rigging ranked by having 2 of my accounts in carriers face each other is really draining. Everyone on both teams hates you, even if you give them a good show. It's like pro wrestling.

You were always a jobber.

Ranked so far is rather terrible, but the bottom feeders seem to have scraped into lower First League which makes things easier since they love to eat torpedoes. The real problem with purple player eaters is that a lot of them are still in the damage farm mindset and that costs teams games.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
Trying my hand at Pan Asia DDs now that they're not so bleeding-edge new. Up to the John Wayne, which feels like a giant step down from the ShenYang. Thinking of skipping it.

Is the Fushun another horrendous grind or is it going to be marginally more pleasant than this pile? It seems like the line finally "matures" at T7 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Mauzeraut posted:

Trying my hand at Pan Asia DDs now that they're not so bleeding-edge new. Up to the John Wayne, which feels like a giant step down from the ShenYang. Thinking of skipping it.

Is the Fushun another horrendous grind or is it going to be marginally more pleasant than this pile? It seems like the line finally "matures" at T7 or so.

The Fushun is almost exactly the same as the Russian DD it is based on, the Podiasky or whatever the gently caress it's called. The difference is that it has better torps. It isn't bad.

The DD after that, the tier 6, is completely overpowered and will be nerfed at some point because holy poo poo it is strong.