Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Suprised that Nobody mentioned that the hit monster book from 1997!!! Is finally getting the long awaited movie adaptation.

Yes i talking about MEG!!
(https://www.empireonline.com/people/jason-statham/jason-statham-stars-exclusive-image-meg/)

And best of all the movie is starring JASON STATHAM!!!!

Stath himself posted:

who doesn’t want to watch a film about the biggest shark that’s ever existed?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

Slashers feel a little too mean spirited for Christmas. I do love Gremlins, Rare Exports, and Krampus though. I want more like that.

Black Christmas is one of the best Christmas movies ever, and also a perfect slasher flick.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TheCool69 posted:

Suprised that Nobody mentioned that the hit monster book from 1997!!! Is finally getting the long awaited movie adaptation.

Yes i talking about MEG!!
(https://www.empireonline.com/people/jason-statham/jason-statham-stars-exclusive-image-meg/)

And best of all the movie is starring JASON STATHAM!!!!

I hope he has to race the shark in a submarine.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it was a rather cheap move to give the game some emotional gravitas. Trust me, no one is playing GOW for a study in how constant conflict wears down on a soldier's psyche, they're playing it because you can chainsaw dudes then blow them clear with your oversized automatic rifle.

When they use an instrumental version of the song in what is supposed to be a very ~emotional~ cutscene in 3 I had to stop playing because I was laughing too hard. It's so bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shoombo posted:

Black Christmas is one of the best Christmas movies ever, and also a perfect slasher flick.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Was San Andreas even all that popular? I remember the trailers but I never went to see it.

It grossed 473 million worldwide. I think there's a sequel planned too, and the director also made Rampage with The Rock.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If it hadn't had Dwayne Johnson it would have sucked. Luckily that wasn't the case.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

https://youtu.be/xr4yK2ZW1wI

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Love that "can you believe this poo poo?" look.

And this is the guy who started paying his bills by doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWu3JqLMImY

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

AceOfFlames posted:

Love that "can you believe this poo poo?" look.

And this is the guy who started paying his bills by doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWu3JqLMImY

How the gently caress have I never seen this before? That's hilarious.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXOoR9JV7ck

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gonz posted:

How the gently caress have I never seen this before? That's hilarious.

Yeah, dude had an... interesting backup dancer career back in the 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvhgG9ee9Aw

I like to think that every so often someone pranks him on his blockbuster sets by suddenly playing these songs on their phones behind him.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

TheCool69 posted:

Meg has been in development hell for over a decade and was probably mentioned in greenlight threads from ten years ago, I'm still slightly suspicious that the film will disappear and never get an actual release but I'll be happy if it finally does, even if I am not really interested in it. It has a lot to live up to with ridiculous shark movies now.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Len posted:

I hope he has to race the shark in a submarine.

You should read the novel and join me in wishing they'd just adapted it scene-for-scene :getin:

End spoilers for the first book (yeah, there's more than one): He kills a shark by driving his submarine into the shark, then cuts his way out deeper - through to the heart, so he can stab it to death.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 26, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I think Gears of War was the first that stuck in my craw. The Social Network is more a cover of a slow song, not so much one slowed down. San Andreas was the first one that really stuck out and I will blame them for really ramping up the trend.

I liked the Gears of War ad because independent of the game it was interesting and memorable and they pulled it off pretty well even if it was probably just a redub and they had originally planned to just do buttrock over it. The Xbox360 had only been out a year and it wasn't exactly flying off the shelves because it didn't really have a killer launch lineup and seemed like not much of a step up compared to what was already out for current systems, that was the first time I saw a next gen game that actually caught my interest.

When they actually tried to include that in the games itself in the sequels it was just laughably terrible though.

The MSJ posted:

It grossed 473 million worldwide. I think there's a sequel planned too, and the director also made Rampage with The Rock.

Also it was one of the first few titles to get a proper 4k bluray release so a lot of early adopters bought it because what else are you going to use to show off your new setup.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Christmas and horror go way back. Christmas Carol is basically a horror story.

"Most Wonderful Time of the Year" has a lyric about telling spooky ghost stories.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Don't forget Krampus

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Casimir Radon posted:

Slashers feel a little too mean spirited for Christmas. I do love Gremlins, Rare Exports, and Krampus though. I want more like that.

Isn't Black Christmas one of the first slasher films?

Fake edit: Just checked, it came out 4 years before Halloween.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

If it hadn't had Dwayne Johnson it would have sucked. Luckily that wasn't the case.

More like Alexandria Daddario and "earthquake" but the Rock helped.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Not sure if murder mystery ones would count, like the sherlock holmes on a train ones

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Psycho's a slasher.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Peeping Tom is a slasher. It was out in 1960.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gatts posted:

More like Alexandria Daddario and "earthquake" but the Rock helped.

Pretty cool that she plays his daughter instead of girlfriend like every other movie would do.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Peeping Tom is a slasher. It was out in 1960.

It's considered a proto-slasher. It's that grey area where it doesn't fit the common tropes of what is considered a "Slasher" but it's in the DNA of the genre like Psycho.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

joylessdivision posted:

It's considered a proto-slasher. It's that grey area where it doesn't fit the common tropes of what is considered a "Slasher" but it's in the DNA of the genre like Psycho.

It's interesting to consider how that almost destroyed the director's career because contemporary audiences were so disgusted by it, which seems so quaint to our 2017 eyes. Similarly, I remember reading about this big name Golden Age Hollywood actor or producer (I don't remember who) being so offended by the screenplay for Bonnie and Clyde that he described as "an open sewer" or something like that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maxwell Lord posted:

"Most Wonderful Time of the Year" has a lyric about telling spooky ghost stories.

Yeah telling ghost stories is a Christmas tradition in some places. I think it's mostly a thing in Britain.

Over here in Iceland Christmas (or Yule) is heavily associated with monsters.

Such as the gargantuan Yulecat who eats everyone who does not receive any clothes for Christmas.

His owner is Grıla, an ancient child eating ogress. Among her hundreds of monstrous children are the Yulelads who are basically the Icelandic equivalent of Santa.

The oldest mentions of Grıla are from the poetic Edda written by Snorri Sturluson around 1220.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Settle down Dwight

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shoombo posted:

I love Mary Elizabeth Winstead, but Black Christmas sucks.

The MSJ posted:

Pretty cool that she plays his daughter instead of girlfriend like every other movie would do.

Carla Gugino is shockingly age appropriate for him, being one year older.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sir Kodiak posted:

That's a remake of the 1974 classic.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah telling ghost stories is a Christmas tradition in some places. I think it's mostly a thing in Britain.

Over here in Iceland Christmas (or Yule) is heavily associated with monsters.

Such as the gargantuan Yulecat who eats everyone who does not receive any clothes for Christmas.

His owner is Grıla, an ancient child eating ogress. Among her hundreds of monstrous children are the Yulelads who are basically the Icelandic equivalent of Santa.

The oldest mentions of Grıla are from the poetic Edda written by Snorri Sturluson around 1220.

Victoria Christmas Cards were pretty great.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Awww those adorable kitties are going to beat someone within a inch of their life and steal all their money.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah that's the God awful remake. The original is really good. I'd also recommend Christmas Evil for straight up bonkers Xmas horror, and Silent Night, Deadly Night for a surprisingly good slasher.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Alehkhs posted:

End spoilers for the first book (yeah, there's more than one): He kills a shark by driving his submarine into the shark, then cuts his way out deeper - through to the heart, so he can stab it to death.

When you can’t quite remember the Melville quote but you’re fairly sure you have the gist of it.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Can I ask a question in this thread (because it's about 2017 movies): how far wrong am I in presuming that Star Wars will fall short of a billion dollars this time round? I think it will end up in the $900 million region. According to Wikipedia, it's on $775 million at the moment, and based on what I've read about it, the fact that it had a very steep drop in its second week seems to me to indicate that most people who want to see it have already seen it and aren't interested in seeing it again (which its poor word of mouth will surely exacerbate). Are there still $300 million left for it make?

I think it will finish off as the second or third biggest movie of the year (in terms of money earned) behind Beauty and the Bast and Fate of the Furious and coming in fourth seems like a possibility as well.

Boxofficemojo has it releasing in China in January. It's not a super huge deal in China or anything, but I think that + remaining legs should be enough to get it over a billion for sure

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bright continues to be uniquely terrible

https://twitter.com/charles_kinbote/status/945474183273869313

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Now I hope it gets nominated in that category for the Oscars (it's in the shortlist). And maybe win, like Suicide Squad.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That's either really lovely or really sloppy or both. It's Netflix, the credits don't even take up the entire screen, why wouldn't you just throw everybody's names on it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Jays shall not replace us!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

Alternatively:
A ska cover of the MASH theme.

I didn't find that exactly but there's a shitload of covers (including Manic Street Preachers :psyduck:) and I just listened to a whole bunch of different versions in a row which may explain why this had me laughing so hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykEeGRC5U_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I think Gears of War was the first that stuck in my craw. The Social Network is more a cover of a slow song, not so much one slowed down. San Andreas was the first one that really stuck out and I will blame them for really ramping up the trend.

Gears is also the most hilarious instance of it.

• Locked thread