Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
GULENISTS EVERYWHERE!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

By next year Erdogan would have purged his country so much he will be hunting gulenists inside his own party.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He will take pills to remove the internal Gulen in him.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He will take pills to remove the internal Gulen in him.

that rumble is Alex Jones sensing an opportunity

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Toplowtech posted:

By next year Erdogan would have purged his country so much he will be hunting gulenists inside his own party.

most gulenists already were

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate, dear thread of horrors.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/944684542358585345

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

TURKEY: Repercussions of Ergoden posted:

“No! I must kill the Gulenists” he shouted
The radio said “No, Recep. You are the Gulen”
And then Recep was Fethullah

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

merry xmas you dirty kafirs

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Kafir is already plural

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

guidoanselmi posted:

merry xmas you dirty kafirs

Kurtofan posted:

Kafir is already plural

close dnd and MERRY CHRISTMAS

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Merry Christmas!

As gift to the thread I bring an NY Times article about Saudi Arabia loving up royally.

Why Saad Hariri Had That Strange Sojourn in Saudi Arabia
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/24/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-saad-hariri-mohammed-bin-salman-lebanon.html

quote:

BEIRUT, Lebanon — Lebanon’s prime minister, Saad Hariri, was summoned at 8:30 a.m. to the Saudi royal offices — unseemly early, by the kingdom’s standards — on the second day of a visit that was already far from what he had expected.
Mr. Hariri, long an ally of the Saudis, dressed that morning in jeans and a T-shirt, thinking he was going camping in the desert with the crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman.
But instead he was stripped of his cellphones, separated from all but one of his usual cluster of bodyguards, and shoved and insulted by Saudi security officers. Then came the ultimate indignity: He was handed a prewritten resignation speech and forced to read it on Saudi television.
This, it seemed, was the real reason he had been beckoned to the Saudi capital, Riyadh, a day earlier: to resign under pressure and publicly blame Iran, as if he were an employee and not a sovereign leader. Before going on TV, he was not even allowed to go to the house he owns there; he had to ask guards to bring him a suit.

quote:

Lebanese officials described the long hours between the arrival and the resignation as a “black box.” They said they were reluctant to press Mr. Hariri for details. When asked, one of them said, Mr. Hariri just looked down at the table and said it was worse than they knew.
Saudi Arabia had many pressure points to use against Mr. Hariri. It could threaten to expel the 250,000 or so Lebanese workers in Saudi Arabia, damaging Lebanon’s economy. And since Mr. Hariri is a dual Saudi citizen, with extensive business dealings in a country where kickbacks are endemic, they could threaten him personally. An Arab diplomat said Mr. Hariri was threatened with corruption charges.
The prime minister was handed a resignation speech to read, which he did at 2:30 p.m. from a room an official said was down the hall from the prince’s office. The text blamed Hezbollah and claimed his life was in danger; it used words that associates said did not sound like him.
Hours later, the Saudi authorities began their corruption roundups, detaining two of Mr. Hariri’s former business partners, a reminder of his own vulnerability.

quote:

Meanwhile, the Saudi prince, apparently undaunted by international concerns, summoned yet another leader, the Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, and issued instructions on Palestinian politics. Officials differ on what Mr. Abbas was told in Riyadh. But Lebanese officials were alarmed. They dispatched General Ibrahim and a Palestinian envoy to Amman, Jordan, to debrief Mr. Abbas, three senior Lebanese officials said.
Concerns were high for several reasons. The Saudi recommendations to Mr. Abbas could destabilize the fractious Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon, a senior Lebanese official said. Separately, a Lebanese ally of the Saudis had urged jihadist factions in one Palestinian camp to form a “Sunni resistance” militia to counter Hezbollah — an idea so dangerous that the jihadists themselves refused, Lebanese and Palestinian officials and a Western diplomat said.

mediadave fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 26, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Neat

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mediadave posted:

Merry Christmas!

As gift to the thread I bring an NY Times article about Saudi Arabia loving up royally.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/24/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-saad-hariri-mohammed-bin-salman-lebanon.html

He seems to be trying to unite the Middle East in hatred and disdain of the Saudi royal family and I think that's the real spirit of Christmas.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

quote:

an idea so dangerous that the jihadists themselves refused

When you're so off your loving rocker that jihadists in refugee camps think you're crazy

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

mediadave posted:

Merry Christmas!

Great story. And it seems to indicate MBS really is a man that lives in the past and wants to recreate its 'glory days.' Time was you legitimately could kidnap kings and popes, have your thugs bully them into whatever proclamation you liked and it worked.

But nowadays, when societal realities are far more complex due to things like larger population numbers and mass media, and when the rough outlines of a story like this can trickle out and be summed up in less than 2 months after the fact, all this does is cement the fact that MBS or any of his cronies are the last kind of people that could bring about any kind of meaningful reform in his country. Just more of the same cynically trying to disguise itself far more poorly, due to the naked brutality in Yemen and hamfistidness of poo poo like having its rich tortured to death in the Ritz.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kurtofan posted:

Kafir is already plural

Kuffar :eng101:
Or
Kafiroon
Or
When talking about only 2
Kafiran

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Kuffar :eng101:
Or
Kafiroon
Or
When talking about only 2
Kafiran

Oh gently caress, i was sure it was the other way around

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate, dear thread of horrors.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/944684542358585345

Glad to see the rest of the world is celebrating Christmas again :smugdon:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Has Thomas Feldman commented on the disconnect between his blowjob of an interview and MBS's actions?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Has Thomas Feldman commented on the disconnect between his blowjob of an interview and MBS's actions?

if you asked ol' tommy free to comment on every time his articles were shown to be hopelessly stupid, he would not have time to write more

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Don’t think so. But Corey Friedman did a good piece on it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Friedman's a dumbass, but he's basically an avatar of elite conventional wisdom in the US, and the article served its purpose in demonstrating where that is these days (if perhaps in a more embarrassingly fawning way than the cynical calculations the elites think they're making). Obama was probably the least pro-Saudi president we've had in decades, and even he mostly kept his disdain for them quiet aside from some undiplomatic observations to reporters toward the end of his presidency. Despite whatever misgivings he had, he still helped them bomb the gently caress out of Yemen, and gave them a free pass on doing the same poo poo they always do when they poisoned the Syrian rebellion by funding and arming jihadists. Trump obviously campaigned against Saudi Arabia because Hillary was (correctly) perceived as being too pro-Saudi, but of course he flipped the second they flattered him/he was captured by the foreign policy establishment after taking office since he had no real views of his own. I don't know if it's an economic concern about what the Saudis could do to oil markets or just a (valid) fear that either the Saudis would be even worse enemies than they are allies or that turning on them would lead to regime collapse and a jihadist state, but all evidence suggests we're more likely to cut even a treaty ally like Turkey loose than Saudi Arabia, especially since Erdogan's ranting about Israel all the time while the Saudis are pressuring the Palestinians.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Of course, the problem is widdling our allies to basically two of the least popular states in the Middle East, both with their own issues with human rights abuses and considerable internal issues. Basically, at this point, the only thing the US is really getting out of the alliance system is really oil, and even we have been cutting back our imports considerably. Our foreign policy in the region basically is only guided by political inertia and there is a reason it seems completely rudderless. It is why it is also so easy for the Russians to score points.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So called moderate jihadists behead a pilot they shot down with a MANPAD.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IvanSidorenko1/status/945665485009453057

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not a doctor but his head sure looks attached. May all the victims of that shitheads barrel bombs sleep well tonight.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
It’s okay Volkerball. All of your beloved jihadists in that video will be dead soon.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
If only those moderates had killed that pilot in a civilized manner, like by dropping a 500 pound bomb on him

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It’s okay Volkerball. All of your beloved jihadists in that video will be dead soon.

What unit were you in during the wars against the Taliban and AQI, I forget.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Throatwarbler posted:

So called moderate jihadists behead a pilot they shot down with a MANPAD.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IvanSidorenko1/status/945665485009453057

But its fine to rain down indiscriminate destructive ordinance from above amrite fellas? No tears shed .

Savy Saracen salad fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 27, 2017

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I can understand why people feel compelled to pretend beheading is normal, (they have to defend these scum somehow), but I don't understand why they expect anyone to believe them.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
“Torturing and beheading people is wrong unless they are a member of the SyAAF” - Guys who love Freedom and democracy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If he was beheaded, prove it. Shouldn't be hard, since a lot of people are claiming HTS got him. If you got nothing and you're just dumb enough to take RT claims at face value, gently caress off back to CSPAM.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ivan Sidorenko shills bigly for the regime. It is no surprise that they are painting a bad picture of the opposition.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CrazyLoon posted:

Great story. And it seems to indicate MBS really is a man that lives in the past and wants to recreate its 'glory days.' Time was you legitimately could kidnap kings and popes, have your thugs bully them into whatever proclamation you liked and it worked.

Stay safe Pope Frank :ohdear:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Thug Lessons posted:

I can understand why people feel compelled to pretend beheading is normal, (they have to defend these scum somehow), but I don't understand why they expect anyone to believe them.

It's amazing how you only ever show up to put words in people's mouths or tell the lurkers what we really think in this thread.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Volkerball posted:

If he was beheaded, prove it. Shouldn't be hard, since a lot of people are claiming HTS got him. If you got nothing and you're just dumb enough to take RT claims at face value, gently caress off back to CSPAM.

It looks like they just slashed his throat. Which is an insanely normal thing to do to prisoners of war, basically anyone would do it.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Duckbox posted:

It's amazing how you only ever show up to put words in people's mouths or tell the lurkers what we really think in this thread.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm responding to the people who are actually posting in defense of this because actually bombs are just as bad as wantonly murdering a POW.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thug Lessons posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm responding to the people who are actually posting in defense of this because actually bombs are just as bad as wantonly murdering a POW.

I'm not going to defend jihadists, or war crimes, but murdering a POW is probably less evil than bombing a hospital. It's weird for either side at this point to pretend like there are any rules left to play by given how brazen both sides have been in flouting them.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's worrying how the actions of killing people in war have become so disconnected that we are happy to accept dropping tonnes of explosive ordinance indiscriminately on civilian centres while being shocked and appalled at the act of killing an enemy soldier post combat. Any death of a military captive is reprehensible (although every military force ever is guilty of it to varying degrees) but in the context of a war zone where civilians are being bombed daily it's really not a shocking action to expect revenge attacks against enemy pilots. Of all the horrible things that have happened in the Syrian war this is nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Thug Lessons posted:

It looks like they just slashed his throat. Which is an insanely normal thing to do to prisoners of war, basically anyone would do it.

I mean yeah it pretty much is in this conflict. This is not a defense of anything btw, I have no interest in the insane moral olympics some people here like to compete in. I prefer not to take the side of any of the thugs in this conflict.