Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

New Karn is going to either be over powered as gently caress or garbage.

Even though they should really just reprint Karn Liberated and not add to Tron.

Tron is fine though, print it and bring in Wasteland because Dominaria is a shithole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
All planes in the multiverse are either shitholes or run by shitheads.

Much like the real world, actually.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sometimes, you get both at the same time!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Star Man posted:

Lorwyn :smug:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lorwyn elves

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Lorwyn elves

They certainly don't run the place, also I think they're less douchey after the day/night cycle got fixed.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Does Oona not run Lorwyn anymore, because she's kind of a shithead

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elyv posted:

Does Oona not run Lorwyn anymore, because she's kind of a shithead

Nope. Maralen took over.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Kaladesh seems fine since the victorious good (and bad) guys in that conflict had no depth and thus no way of being evil

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Star Man posted:

Last we saw Dominaria was a wasteland.

I saw a developer comment that the new Core Set was originally going to be the second Dominaria Set and that unless it bombs it’s probably going back in the rotation of planes we see more often because they came up with a bunch of new ideas for Dominaria.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Why do Jhoira and Teferi look the same in the new picture but Jaya is now an old grandma

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

Why do Jhoira and Teferi look the same in the new picture but Jaya is now an old grandma

Teferi was a planeswalker, and Jhoira looks like she's in her late teens anyway.

Oh yeah Jaya was also a planeswalker.

Weird.

Oh I got it. Time magic.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't know the details but time fuckery was explicitly part of the old tolaria story

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Jhoira got up to some accidental fuckery with the time portals that basically slowed her aging waaaaaaaay the hell down, to the order of a second taking years. I believe she got together with Jodah, who was similarly ageless.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

GoutPatrol posted:

Slow time water from the ruins of tolaria.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/ask-wizards-december-2002-2002-12-02

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

quote:

December 24, 2002

This question first appeared on October 17, 2002.
Q: "On all the new cards, when referring to a player, it says 'he or she.' I've never heard of any girls playing Magic. Can you clarify me on this? Do you know of any girls that play Magic: The Gathering?"
-- Jarrid Legere, Milwaukee, WI

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
sassy elaine chase owns

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Angry Grimace posted:

Last we saw Dominaria was a wasteland.

I saw a developer comment that the new Core Set was originally going to be the second Dominaria Set and that unless it bombs it’s probably going back in the rotation of planes we see more often because they came up with a bunch of new ideas for Dominaria.

Thats cool, i liked origins when they made references to actual planes.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I just wanna see thallids again, I know I'm gonna be disappointed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Same but cephalids

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kurtofan posted:

Same but cephalids

Same but Lemures.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I'm hoping one continent of dominaria is just Thrulls vs Thallids/Saprolings in a foreverwar

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If you aren't just absolutely stoked to put tide counters on crab people and revisit the greatest tribe of all, I don't know what to tell you.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Something tells me that a sequel to Fallen Empires would be pretty miserable.

Sorry if I ruined your dad jokes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Year 3456 : the Nantuko cephalid war still rages on.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Star Man posted:

Fallen Empires 2 would actually have more powerful cards than the original. :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Star Man posted:

Well, Hymn and Goblin Grenade would probably find a home in Standard pretty quickly if reprinted.

And no need to apologize, the merit of dad jokes is they come pre-ruined.

Tubgoat posted:

Fallen Empires 2 would actually have more powerful cards than the original. :v:

Honestly even if tide counters made Homorids go from "pretty good" to "really good" instead of "bad" to "slightly less bad," it wouldn't be a good mechanic. It's just busywork bookkeeping.

Thrulls could be cool to see again. Saclands could be re-worked to something people would use. Storage lands probably not.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 26, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
A hot take:

Gen-X Magic: 1993-2003
Millenial Magic: 2003-2014
Post-millenial Magic: 2014-present

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
A random thought; what's the jankiest modern deck that could legitimately use a playset of snapcasters in it? Burn and Mill don't count

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Archenteron posted:

A random thought; what's the jankiest modern deck that could legitimately use a playset of snapcasters in it? Burn and Mill don't count

Mono-blue tokens.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Storage lands probably not.

Would this be horrifically broken?

Less-Bad Storage
Land
T: Add <> to your mana pool.
T: Put a counter on Card.
T, remove X counters from Card: Add X C mana to your mana pool.

Edit: It doesn't strike me as unplayable.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 26, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

Turns? I think that deck's stock has fallen enough that it's considered jank now.

E: There are also way jankier versions of Mill than my UB list. You could go monoU with Sanity Grinding! :getin:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 26, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Archenteron posted:

I'm hoping one continent of dominaria is just Thrulls vs Thallids/Saprolings in a foreverwar

supposedly this is sarpadia

Tubgoat posted:

Less-Bad Storage
Land

The Time Spiral dual storage lands were playable, but I don't believe the Masques ones were(a little before my time)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Less-Bad Storage
Land

Probably a little too good in my far from expert opinion.

Being able to make turns where you miss your curve drop into ramp built into the land would be pretty great, and even baseline this is an incredibly reliable and self-contained turn 2 3-drop enabler since turn 1 you're most likely gonna use the storage ability.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

here's your playable storage lands

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Hedron Alignment combo

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Being able to make turns where you miss your curve drop into ramp built into the land would be pretty great, and even baseline this is an incredibly reliable and self-contained turn 2 3-drop enabler since turn 1 you're most likely gonna use the storage ability.

You can’t play a turn 2 3-drop with this theoretical version. I think they are probably fine. They probably wouldn’t even be auto 4-ofs, except maybe in monocolor decks.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Tubgoat posted:

Less-Bad Storage
Land

Losing the activation cost to put a storage counter on seems reasonable for being monocolored instead of two color like the TSP storage lands, but then again the TSP lands saw plenty of play in decks that only used them to generate one color so maybe losing the activation cost is too much of a boost.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

this is an incredibly reliable and self-contained turn 2 3-drop enabler since turn 1 you're most likely gonna use the storage ability.

Unless I'm blind there's no way to tap to add the second counter and then tap to take 2 counters off on turn 2.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

You need to store twice before it gives any ramp, though. So it'll tap for 2 on turn 3 if you spend turns one and two adding storage counters.

It honestly seems kinda mediocre, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, I'm a big idiot. In light of the fact that I messed up on uh... counting, it's probably something that would still be safe to print.

It's still pretty good, but probably not too good. Still seems like it's a 4-of replacement for basic lands unless you care about the subtype for fetching or whatever, since it's "basic land, plus you can squirrel away mana to still play magic if you get stuck on 2 lands for a few turns."