Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
TalkingPointsMemo - Hard Work Pays Off

quote:

A feel good story of one of the GOP tax cuts top beneficiaries, Dalton DeVos, nephew of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, son of Amway President Doug DeVos and grandson of Amway co-founder Richard DeVos. Sailing is a tradition in the DeVos family and Dalton has just returned from a two year trip circumnavigating the globe on the 76 foot Reliance along with a small crew. From Michigan Live: “He was still a student at Grand Valley State University when he approached his parents about the idea in 2013. The following year he bought the boat and hired a captain. Nine months after graduating with business and marketing degree in December 2014, he began the journey.”

If anyone doesn't know, AmWay is one of the largest pyramid schemes in the U.S. and it protects its operation with dicey legalese. I could link you to a NYT article about "multi-level-marketing" (that is pronounced "pyramid scheme.") But John Oliver's team already did an informative AND funny bit sooo-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI

Tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Moatman posted:

Holy poo poo.
Now if only Utah would vote for someone without an R next to their name

Too many people in Utah who are too invested in the idea of the world ending and getting to play polite volleyball with Eloheim, Jesus, and Joseph Smith vote to let that ever happen.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sheep-dodger posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/945624910898122752
:psyduck:
So he admits that repealing the mandate is a deliberate effort to sabotage the ACA, that's surely going to go over well!

No, Donald, they won't. See, Democrats have nothing to lose and everything to gain by monolithically opposing you on all things health care, dumbass.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

KickerOfMice posted:

If anyone doesn't know, AmWay is one of the largest pyramid schemes in the U.S. and it protects its operation with dicey legalese. I could link you to a NYT article about "multi-level-marketing" (that is pronounced "pyramid scheme.") But John Oliver's team already did an informative AND funny bit sooo-

Tax:

How do you write the words "Hard Work Pays Off" and "he approached his parents about the idea" in the same article without dying of irony?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Moatman posted:

How do you write the words "Hard Work Pays Off" and "he approached his parents about the idea" in the same article without dying of irony?

It's Talking Points Memo, which leans comfortably left, especially on the dickery of the rich. It's a smartass headline.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Is it wrong for me to wish death on the President?

I'm pretty sure that a stroke or heart attack is the only thing that will stop the insane senile narcissistic cancer that has been elected President, so if there was a just a loving God looking to prove that He exists......just sayin'

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

“Why don’t kids just ask their parents for multimillion dollar loans to start a business?”

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

KickerOfMice posted:

It's Talking Points Memo, which leans comfortably left, especially on the dickery of the rich. It's a smartass headline.

Oh I got TPM and one of the right wing rags that starts with a T confused

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Unoriginal Name posted:

I'm pretty sure that a stroke or heart attack is the only thing that will stop the insane senile narcissistic cancer that has been elected President, so if there was a just a loving God looking to prove that He exists......just sayin'

It would be wrong not to, imo

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Moatman posted:

Oh I got TPM and one of the right wing rags that starts with a T confused

Yeah np. But that bullshit is about as shameless trust-fund-baby as you could possibly get. It would be funny if it wasn't so loving depressing. These are the people who represent you out-of-work coal miner! :tizzy:

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Alter Ego posted:

No, Donald, they won't. See, Democrats have nothing to lose and everything to gain by monolithically opposing you on all things health care, dumbass.

this is why they won't

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PerniciousKnid posted:

I thought Reid was Mormon.

From Nevada. Utah is a much, much different electoral landscape.
https://twitter.com/hunterschwarz/status/581548960856215552

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 26, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KickerOfMice posted:

Yeah np. But that bullshit is about as shameless trust-fund-baby as you could possibly get. It would be funny if it wasn't so loving depressing. These are the people who represent you out-of-work coal miner! :tizzy:

Speaking of, is the new tax plan still going to gently caress the coal industry in the rear end, or did they fix that?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Unoriginal Name posted:

you should wish for impeachment and an investigation that topples pence as well, cause a stroke just puts that rear end in a top hat into office.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

this is why they won't

:lol: Nothing matters, am I right?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Boon posted:

:lol: Nothing matters, am I right?

just like they didnt cave on daca amirite?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Last night over Christmas dinner my nuclear family was bitching about Trump and my grandma said “now, be respectful, you’re in a Republican house.” So then she got four earfuls about how her boy is a trash can. She’s a “never questioned a straight-R ticket” republican voter, not a spiteful hate golem, and it’s California so it doesn’t really matter, but sorry grandma, it being Christmas doesn’t mean that you get a pass on watching your only granddaughter burst into tears because your preferred presidential candidate wants her to lose her health insurance.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Speaking of, is the new tax plan still going to gently caress the coal industry in the rear end, or did they fix that?

If I remember correctly, In the fossil-fuel game: oil and gas will reap huge benefits, but coal gets hosed because it's a dying industry no matter what happens (coal is used for many things, but not to heat homes anymore/ power transportation), and therefore, not profitable.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

just like they didnt cave on daca amirite?

They sucked at one thing so they will suck at every single thing. :psyduck:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Mind_Taker posted:

“Why don’t kids just ask their parents for multimillion dollar loans to start a business?”

Reminds me of that article from earlier this year about 'If I can pay off my student debts in just 3 years, anyone can'. Then it turns out that they did it by living with their parents, being given a job at a non-profit owned by their mother (that paid DC wages in the Midwest) and getting a bunch of rental properties given to them as a wedding gift.

Fake Edit: This rear end in a top hat.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

KickerOfMice posted:

They sucked at one thing so they will suck at every single thing. :psyduck:
They suck at every single thing, so it is likely they will continue.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KickerOfMice posted:

If I remember correctly, In the fossil-fuel game: oil and gas will reap huge benefits, but coal gets hosed because it's a dying industry no matter what happens (coal is used for many things, but not to heat homes anymore/ power transportation), and therefore, not profitable.

Well right, but there was a thing right after the Senate passed their scribbled-in-the-margins version where a bunch of coal industry owners were all like "Uhh this means we no longer can take the deductions that make us able to turn a profit at all, this means we're basically out of business in months".

I assume it was fixed along with the "whoopsie daisy we made it so businesses that take industry standard deductions to get tax breaks now no longer get any better rate than if they didn't deduct anything, ruining entire business models overnight" thing, but I didn't hear anything for sure about it.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Well right, but there was a thing right after the Senate passed their scribbled-in-the-margins version where a bunch of coal industry owners were all like "Uhh this means we no longer can take the deductions that make us able to turn a profit at all, this means we're basically out of business in months".

I assume it was fixed along with the "whoopsie daisy we made it so businesses that take industry standard deductions to get tax breaks now no longer get any better rate than if they didn't deduct anything, ruining entire business models overnight" thing, but I didn't hear anything for sure about it.

Misunderstood your question. And I've looked, but I cannot find anything relevant either. So yeah, if noone is complaining loudly about how this damages REAL AMERICA, it's probably "fixed" somehow.

^^
:v:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 26, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It is like this country is run by super villains

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/945642712174333952?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1

Coelacanthian
Dec 23, 2008

KickerOfMice posted:

Tax:

I have some inside info on this. The AP article being circulated about his trip is word for word the press release from his family. The kid has literally been loving around for 3 years, going from port to port drinking and golfing and struggling through such hardships as flying commercial airlines occasionally.

The interesting thing to me is that the family itself is an incorporated business. The boat thes riding in is able to be written off (along with a lot of expenses) if the family can spin this as a kind of business trip. Like he's gaining management experience or something. It's super loving gross.

Ask me anything. The kid is not a bad guy, just so unbelievably sheltered and clueless as to the extent of his privelage.

Coelacanthian fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 26, 2017

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Shifty Pony posted:

What's the estimate for next year's health care premium increase due to the individual mandate repeal, >30% right?

Might not want to be claiming credit for that one...

Dunno about anyone else, but my premium, which is the lowest cost one I could find on my state exchange, went from $427 a month to $635 a month. And that's with a purely idiotic $14k out of pocket before any coverage kicked in at all. I was going to cancel and do without but fortunately my company found a group plan this year so I'll now be paying around $300 a month with a much more reasonable deductible and out of pocket max.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Republicans were only up in arms about "death panels" because they'd love to shove us all into meat grinders the instant we're no longer capable of making them money.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They were crying about Death Panels the same time they were cheering the idea of letting people die from lack of health care at GOP debates.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

KickerOfMice posted:

America is too stupid to recognize irony and will literally believe that rich kids work hard by having their parents take care of everything for them.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

WoodrowSkillson posted:

When her and Nick cannon walked into a buzzsaw by antagonizing Eminem it was really funny

buzzsaw? lollll

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

iraq will always ensure bush is worse but man this kind of poo poo is far more brazen and awful under trump.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 26, 2017

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

"He's not really Mormon," "he's only Mormon to get votes," "he'd be excommunicated if he wasn't a senator."

Reid is very disliked in Utah.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KickerOfMice posted:

Tax:

Yes but have you considered that John Oliver is terrible, unfunny, a bad journalist, and ideologically unacceptable

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

"He's not really Mormon," "he's only Mormon to get votes," "he'd be excommunicated if he wasn't a senator."

Reid is very disliked in Utah.

It's kind of weird to think that an entire state has been taken over by a cult.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yes but have you considered that John Oliver is terrible, unfunny, a bad journalist, and ideologically unacceptable

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I've woken up from my alcohol-induced coma to tell you that The Ref is the best xmas movie. Okay ty

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's gremlins.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Okay I'll bite why is Oliver now one of the bad ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

SSNeoman posted:

I've woken up from my alcohol-induced coma to tell you that The Ref is the best xmas movie. Okay ty
The Ref has Denis Leary and Kevin Spacey, both noted poo poo human beings, and was already a double poo poo movie. It's poo poo.

• Locked thread