Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Jymmybob posted:

RO and DI water are huge bitches to deal with unless you're set up to handle them with without having any copper or carbon steel/iron touching them but mix them with additives and they're much better than tap water for heating and cooling systems. Just make sure you're adding the right type and quantity.

I'm softening all the water (unfortunately, the asshat who renovated this place didn't separate the outside spigots from the rest of the water, so the cars will be getting luxurious washes), but there's going to be a dedicated RO line that only goes to a new sink faucet and to the fridge. No copper on the RO system line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Oh yeah, I just thought about how bad a jet's blowout would be on the runway, no wonder it's overbuilt

The tyres have thermal fuses in them that usually prevent a catastrophic blowout. And most of the stress on tyres is during landing - I'm pretty sure (although an actual aircraft maintainer will probably come along and school me) that if a tyre decompresses during landing, the landing gear strut/axle/bogie is designed to have the other wheel take all the weight (and heat) for long enough to stop the plane. (Obviously, aside from replacing the blown tyre, the rest of the landing gear assembly will need a full inspection...)

That's for commercial jets (which all have at least two tyres per landing gear strut), for private jets or GA you're pretty much on your own (although all of the private jets I've looked at have dual-tyre wheelsets for the main landing gear at least).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I literally knew nothing about this until four days ago, since I'm thinking of getting a water softener and RO unit installed. Apparently people have run their RO water lines to their on-demand hot-water taps at their sink, with subsequent catastrophic failure of the copper holding tank.

I had a softener kill a washing machine because it sped up the galvanic corrosion. Thank you Whirlpool for using an aluminum "spider gear/arm" on your stainless steel washing machine drum.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tater_salad posted:

I had a softener kill a washing machine because it sped up the galvanic corrosion. Thank you Whirlpool for using an aluminum "spider gear/arm" on your stainless steel washing machine drum.

We know drat well that isn't an oversight on their engineer's part.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Beach Bum posted:

No poo poo. After pulling apart my 4A-GE 16v I resolved to never again mess around with anything other than purified/distilled water and coolant.

This is easily prevented by flushing once or twice a year. Its more due to coolant gaining an electrical charge due to age and contaminants, and then encouraging corrosion.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Flushing once or twice per year isn't supposed to be necessary.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I design RO systems for ultrapure water applications, as well as potable water applications.

Stainless steel is fine. Copper / brass / galvanized / black steel not so much.

RO is essentially a very, very fine filtration process that is fine enough to remove salts and metal ions. Think 0.0001 micron, hence the relatively high pressures required. The result of this is that pH is depressed, but thats not what causes the issues. Removing all the ions from the water results in water that very much wants to replace those ions with something, and if possible, it will pull the ions out of piping / whatever it gets in contact with.

Dannywilson posted:

E: I suppose carbonic acid via CO2 absorption could make it acidic?
ultrapure water pulls CO2 out of the air very readily. I'm working on a project utilizing 2-pass RO followed by Electrodeionization (EDI) to produce water for a steam turbine for a power plant. When filling the storage tanks for the boiler, the water is filled through the bottom of the tank to prevent aeration of the water. Typically it's preferable to fill a tank from the top, as then the pumps are always working against a constant head pressure.

On potable systems, depending on what's being removed, we'll often blend RO permeate with feed water to get to the target TDS level. The blended line is typically then passed through UV, and finally chlorinated before storage / distribution.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 25, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are people who don't just use distilled water and/or premixed coolant?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TrueChaos posted:

I'm working on a project utilizing 2-pass RO followed by Electrodeionization (EDI) to produce water for a steam turbine for a power plant.

When I built my first saltwater reef aquarium, I used boiler feedwater from the water plant at the power plant my dad worked at for the initial mix/fill, and then for top-off water. Stuff was cleaner than anything out of a consumer-grade RO/DI system. The aquarium was only 4.5gal, so it was trivial to move enough water for top-off needs, but once I moved to bigger tanks later, I had to get an RO/DI system, and I always had minor issues with the water from those.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

Flushing once or twice per year isn't supposed to be necessary.

I had a roommate with that philosophy for toilets once.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Cojawfee posted:

My fiance's old 525i was filled to the brim with hose water. Checking the overflow tank gave me a heart attack because it was thick and brown from all of the sediment
Hell, my Capri still had its original coolant when I bought it 25 years later, and it took me 10 flushes to remove all of the reddish brown particles from the coolant

I feel like it's only cast iron blocks that actually need to be flushed every year or two, because when I've changed coolant on aluminium blocks that weren't maintained properly, there was virtually no sediment in the coolant

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

TrueChaos posted:

I design RO systems for ultrapure water applications, as well as potable water applications.
I think one of the best things about this site is that it generally takes under a dozen responses for someone who is a definitive expert to weigh in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I think one of the best things about this site is that it generally takes under a dozen responses for someone who is a definitive expert to weigh in.

The problem is you get the wannabe experts in under half a dozen.

(we've all done it)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

xzzy posted:

The problem is you get the wannabe experts in under half a dozen.

Well I drank filter coffee once and it didn't corrode my mug so I can't see how water filtration can corrode metals at all :colbert:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
We recently installed a wastewater recycling system that has a 60gpm RO unit as the last stage and the installers valved it to a line that wasn't supposed to be fed RO. It was a fun time trying to figure out why sometimes parts in the pretreatment section of that line were rusting in rinse stages when the acid stage wasn't being used until I tracked back the water line and found that sometimes the operators opened the RO feed instead of city water.

:argh:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dannywilson posted:

This is completely false. RO seeks to return the water to a ph of 7.4 which is exact neutral.

E: I suppose carbonic acid via CO2 absorption could make it acidic?

Water's not corrosive because it's acid or basic. Water is corrosive because it's a highly polar molecule. Ultrapure water is totally neutral, but it's also one of the most corrosive substances known. It will happily corrode the hell out of brass, iron, and a lot of non-stainless steels.There's a reason that ordinary water winds up with a lot of ions dissolved in it in the first place.

It won't corrode stainless steel, but it can attack any impurities in the welds and wind up causing leaks.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The best way to get information is not to ask for it, but to post the wrongest thing about it and get dogpiled with the right information.

e: not saying I was intentionally doing that, but I like the flood of good info, so yeah.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 25, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Cojawfee posted:

Guys who work at a lab will be like "hey if distilled water is good, DI water will be better!"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cojawfee posted:

Premixed is almost 2x the price of just mixing it yourself. But yeah, I don't get why you'd bother using anything besides distilled water...it's less than a dollar a gallon at the store.

Source: 4 loving radiators in 18 months.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

We recently installed a wastewater recycling system that has a 60gpm RO unit as the last stage and the installers valved it to a line that wasn't supposed to be fed RO. It was a fun time trying to figure out why sometimes parts in the pretreatment section of that line were rusting in rinse stages when the acid stage wasn't being used until I tracked back the water line and found that sometimes the operators opened the RO feed instead of city water.

:argh:

What kind of process? Also lol of they were using RO perm for the rinse step (I'm assuming in some kind of media filter, carbon / mmf), what a waste of energy.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Dannywilson posted:

The best way to get information is not to ask for it, but to post the wrongest thing about it and get dogpiled with the right information.

e: not saying I was intentionally doing that, but I like the flood of good info, so yeah.

Better than Ars Technica, where you post the CORRECT information and then get dog-piled with wrong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Regardless if you are using premixed, etc, you need to flush your coolant annually. It WILL gain a charge, and it WILL corrode your engine. Period. That doesn't change regardless of what water you use, it'll just happen faster with tap water than with purified water.

There are simple electrical tests you can do with your coolant to verify its health and whether the coolant needs to be changed:

https://www.familyhandyman.com/automotive/car-maintenance/coolant-testing-with-a-multimeter/view-all/

http://www.ve-labs.net/electrolysis-101/how-to-test

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 26, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CommieGIR posted:

Regardless if you are using premixed, etc, you need to flush your coolant annually. It WILL gain a charge, and it WILL corrode your engine. Period. That doesn't change regardless of what water you use, it'll just happen faster with tap water than with purified water.

There are simple electrical tests you can do with your coolant to verify its health and whether the coolant needs to be changed:

https://www.familyhandyman.com/automotive/car-maintenance/coolant-testing-with-a-multimeter/view-all/

What about eurotrash cars that run pressurized coolant systems

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There are modern cars without pressurized cooling systems?

And all that does is help keep the boiling point high and keep the hoses under pressure, it's not going to make the coolant last longer.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 26, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

This isn't even close my experience with 3 20+ year old cars I've taken toward 150,000 miles without corrosion problems.

And for what it's worth, the manual on my current Nissan has the first coolant change is 105,000 miles or 126 months. Second change is 180,000 miles or 216 months.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Another great GM thing: Dexcool.

(Sarcasm btw)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

glynnenstein posted:

This isn't even close my experience with 3 20+ year old cars I've taken toward 150,000 miles without corrosion problems.

And for what it's worth, the manual on my current Nissan has the first coolant change is 105,000 miles or 126 months. Second change is 180,000 miles or 216 months.

Its called anecdotal for a reason.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The only thing I can think of that you may be thinking of is a pressurized reservoir, and the solution there is to wait until it cools down.

:v:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'll stick to my owner's manual recommendation of 5 years/100000 miles, if that is ok.

edit: It's DexCool :laffo:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The makers of dexcool were so smart they made it the color of rust so you can't use a visual inspection to decide if your coolant system is falling apart.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

I'll stick to my owner's manual recommendation of 5 years/100000 miles, if that is ok.

edit: It's DexCool :laffo:

Congrats on the future headgasket job.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

glynnenstein posted:

Does driving a japanese chrysler qualify you to comment on this?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

glynnenstein posted:

With manufacturers competing on service charges these days (free servicing, capped price servicing), the intervals are only going to get longer. We already have "sealed for life" ATX that will fail under 10 years because never serviced, sludging up engines etc.
They used to make money with servicing and people complained. Now they are extending everything and people are eating it up, not realising the goal has just changed from a dealer making money via servicing to the manufacturer making money by selling you a new car because your old one is stuffed in 5 years - not that new car buyers care because they often don't keep them that long, but eventually when it catches on it will hurt them with resale/trade in value.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

BloodBag posted:

Does driving a japanese chrysler qualify you to comment on this?

It's just my experience, so maybe I'm lucky. Changing coolant annually seems really excessive to me having it made it 24 years with 1 radiator failure in a mix of cars through 500,000ish miles going off of manufacturers schedules the whole way. The Nissan example is what I have now, but they're hardly an outlier with that interval.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

glynnenstein posted:

It's just my experience, so maybe I'm lucky. Changing coolant annually seems really excessive to me having it made it 24 years with 1 radiator failure in a mix of cars through 500,000ish miles going off of manufacturers schedules the whole way. The Nissan example is what I have now, but they're hardly an outlier with that interval.

Of my 5 Audis, many pushing 31 years of age, I've only had one radiator fail due to the plastic endcap cracking because the fan failed. I change yearly by draining half the coolant and refilling.

But both of our examples are anecdotal evidence.

I mean: What's the benefit to NOT changing your coolant? Its a fairly low cost way to ensure you remove any corrosion products and keep your coolant fresh. Its not like its an expensive maintenance you are talking about. And especially as coolant electrolysis is a proven concern, are you really willing to risk catastrophic block and head corrosion over that?

"I'm way more than a radiator and a coolant flush combined!"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 26, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Fo3 posted:

With manufacturers competing on service charges these days (free servicing, capped price servicing), the intervals are only going to get longer. We already have "sealed for life" ATX that will fail under 10 years because never serviced, sludging up engines etc.
They used to make money with servicing and people complained. Now they are extending everything and people are eating it up, not realising the goal has just changed from a dealer making money via servicing to the manufacturer making money by selling you a new car because your old one is stuffed in 5 years - not that new car buyers care because they often don't keep them that long, but eventually when it catches on it will hurt them with resale/trade in value.

What the gently caress cars are you driving that the mechanical bits don't last 10+ years?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CarForumPoster posted:

What the gently caress cars are you driving that the mechanical bits don't last 10+ years?

Seriously! The average age of cars on the road is over 11.5 years in the USA. For every new car there are ones much older being driven. Or a crapload of them at 12 years. I don’t plan on replacing my wife’s car until it hits 8-10, the main driver now is getting new features like a backup camera and enhanced phone integration.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

CarForumPoster posted:

You've never heard of a tran failing in under 10 years? That started after sealed for life b/s. I think cars are going to not last as long because now they are pushing out maintenance for everything else - because they are dropping the price on servicing - capped or free , and will do less preventative maintenance and fluid/oil changes.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 26, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CommieGIR posted:

Congrats on the future headgasket job.

Bonus points if you have a Northstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Not so much a horrible failure, but technically interesting; my dad killed a halfshaft in his Austin 7, so he's had to pull the axle apart, and the differential doesn't use bevel gears for the centre, it's an arrangement of spur gears, kind of like a Torsen B or Quaife without the LSD function: