Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wrar posted:

Hey Rhyno, see if you and the wife-to-be dig on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oupPB1-FNxA

kexp fukkin owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
St. Paul and the Broken Bones put on an excellent live show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
this is what I want but Top Gun being the best film of ALL loving TIME might be influencing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx51eegLTY8

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
She's probably afraid (correctly) you and the groomsmen are going to strip to the waist, oil up, and play some 'volleyball' as foreplay

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

this is what I want but Top Gun being the best film of ALL loving TIME might be influencing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx51eegLTY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxFq16IG_k0

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Got my wife a Glock 42 so she's happy :v:

Why not a 43 (or a 26)? Just curious.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Why not a 36 (or a 24) or a 36? Just curious.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

DICK DICER posted:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Why not a 36 (or a 24) or a 36 (or a 29)? Just curious.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

well she may be taller than 5'2"

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well I just discovered Ash vs the Evil Dead

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DICK DICER posted:

It's sooooooo good

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

DICK DICER posted:

What

Just what

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Why not a 43 (or a 26)? Just curious.

Smaller profile for my wife to carry, and over $100 cheaper than a 43.

Considering the difference between 9mm and .380 is negligible it was a no brainer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is unpleasant.

I can't wait for the stories of people freezing their tits off lining up on boxing day to get $50 off a lovely tv.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

This is unpleasant.

I can't wait for the stories of people freezing their tits off lining up on boxing day to get $50 off a lovely tv.

It's pretty miserable down here and we're like a good eight degrees warmer. gently caress this poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yes that is very unpleasant.......This however is quite pleasant

Beach day tomorrow :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its 50°F out. I might have to close my window soon. :qq:

Edit: drat Lecia, I was at least going to avoid completely rubbing it in. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
End of day results, one very stressed fiance but no dead grandparents.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I’m at a campsite sitting in the sun in a folding chair with a tin of cider and CCR on the Landcruiser stereo and chilli/lime/garlic marinated chicken grilling on the Smokey joe and going to catch a snapper tomorrow

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Merry Christmas you goons.

So I hung out with mom/stepdad for awhile. They reminded me of an old leather jacket I had left behind. I think I paid $15 or $20 for it at a thrift store ages ago. I think I only wore it a few times, but it was comfy. So I looked at the tag, and, uh..

It's a military jacket. G-1, so Navy or Coast Guard probably? Looks like it's from 1982 (contract 1982-1). MIL-J-7823E(AS), from Flight Apparel Industries. Anyone know anything about these things? It's in what I think is decent shape (not excellent, but good.. warm too). Has velcro sewn where a badge would go. Seems like they're either cowhide or goatskin, no idea how I'd tell the difference.

It fits me a lot better now that I've lost 40 lbs. :v: But if it's worth something, I'd rather not wear it much.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So Lepin Lego knock-offs are no joke. Santa brought my son the Saturn V and LeMans racer. He hasn't made the rocket yet, but the LeMans car is not 100%, but a solid 99%+ equivalent. It's a Technics set, and a couple of the advanced mechanism don't operate as smoothly as Lego brand, but with a bit of massaging they can. Overall? $55 delivered for a set that costs $130 from Lego is tough to argue against... https://shop.lego.com/en-US/24-Hours-Race-Car-42039

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Merry Christmas you goons.

So I hung out with mom/stepdad for awhile. They reminded me of an old leather jacket I had left behind. I think I paid $15 or $20 for it at a thrift store ages ago. I think I only wore it a few times, but it was comfy. So I looked at the tag, and, uh..

It's a military jacket. G-1, so Navy or Coast Guard probably? Looks like it's from 1982 (contract 1982-1). MIL-J-7823E(AS), from Flight Apparel Industries. Anyone know anything about these things? It's in what I think is decent shape (not excellent, but good.. warm too). Has velcro sewn where a badge would go. Seems like they're either cowhide or goatskin, no idea how I'd tell the difference.

It fits me a lot better now that I've lost 40 lbs. :v: But if it's worth something, I'd rather not wear it much.

Quick googling says Flight Apparel Industries was a reproduction, albeit a pretty good one.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Seminal Flu posted:

So Lepin Lego knock-offs are no joke. Santa brought my son the Saturn V and LeMans racer. He hasn't made the rocket yet, but the LeMans car is not 100%, but a solid 99%+ equivalent. It's a Technics set, and a couple of the advanced mechanism don't operate as smoothly as Lego brand, but with a bit of massaging they can. Overall? $55 delivered for a set that costs $130 from Lego is tough to argue against... https://shop.lego.com/en-US/24-Hours-Race-Car-42039

I bought myself and my sister & brother in law some of the Lepin sets too. I got the porsche 911 which over here is £260 vs £60 for the Lepin set and then some out of production sets which are also ~£60 for the Lepin vs £250-£400 on ebay. We haven't started them yet but have been through the bags and it looks pretty good.
I feel a bit bad doing it but its hard to argue at that price difference!
Lego need to start re-producing some of their out of print sets to keep the resale prices down and drop the pricing on some of the big new sets.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Merry Christmas goons. Too much traveling already and came down with a cold, but life is still pretty good. Made a delicious brisket for Christmas Eve dinner.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Lego need to start re-producing some of their out of print sets to keep the resale prices down and drop the pricing on some of the big new sets.
But but but my investment! :qq:

Seriously, this is a thing.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Seminal Flu posted:

There's a lot I've been eyeing off. Some of the smaller sets aren't any cheaper than the real deal here (due to the $US and greedy pricing). But some of the larger sets can be good. Not necessarily lepin brand, heard better things about enlighten or some other brand, like Gudi? From what I read those two brands are the second best after legit stuff
I ended up getting a legit lego truck locally for $20 (as well as some hotwheels plus a non related slot car racing track). But some smaller lego sets would have been no cheaper for the lepin than china after the currency conversion, may as well buy legit local. But if he develops further interest in lego I want to get the space shuttle and launch pad set which I think is about US$30 but would be a ~$90 set here. You can't get the legit lego old launch pad anymore I think, but you can get a legit shuttle for $20, so maybe have two shuttles to mix and match together and a base/launch station or whatever E: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GUD...mStoreLevelAB=5

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 26, 2017

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

But but but my investment! :qq:

Seriously, this is a thing.

Lego cannot be happy about the Chinese reproduction market, and In my opinion they need to start seriously thinking about the way they release sets in order to sort it out. At the same time they could fix the 'lego as an investment' market.

All they need to do right now is to started re-producing some out of print sets - If they just picked a handful of best sellers per year and started re-selling them it would sort a lot of stuff out.

With how famed Lego are for inventory control and automation there is no way that it can cost much to re-tool their production lines to do this.

Longer term, I eagerly await they day when Lego gets their production and inventory systems sorted out such that you can order any set you like from their online catalog and they will just produce it on demand and ship it...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I seriously thought about fixing up my old sets, but no chance of finding specialty pieces from pre 1990. I need some round shields, hinged turn table pieces, saddles, old school space air tanks and helmets and a whole bunch of other crap specialty old pieces and no chance these days. If they remolded all sorts of old stuff like that then there wouldn't be "investors". Also funny their parts online store close from DEC to FEB anyway. I was bored and willing to restore some of it for my kid over the holidays, but store closed.
E: ooh, the "flexi hose piece" too

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 26, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I had some lego castle from like 25 years ago, I think I remember seeing it on ebay awhile back for literally thousands of dollars. There's a bunch of special blocks in it, like the walls, and I've seen those sell for $Texas. My parents still have it somewhere and I think when my bro and his wife have kids they're gonna get it along with several bins of lego sets and loose blocks.

E: I myself am hoping by next payday lego millenium falcons are still at CT, hopefully price reduced. People here tend not to buy out the expensive sets and I want one so bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We have 3D printers, LEGOs days are numbered :getin:

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
hello chat thread

merry tuesday

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DJ Commie posted:

Speaking of wire snips, I used Harbor Freight 304SS lock wire and pliers to make a tamale steaming frame. Food Grade!

Lol. Safety wire is one of my favorite tools. More than duct tape or vice grips.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

We have 3D printers, LEGOs days are numbered :getin:

As are all figurine-based tabletop games.

:black101:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MrYenko posted:

Nobody will miss Games Workshop

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

MrYenko posted:

I really should dig out all my old Battletech figurines... gently caress, pretty sure I have the TV show on betamax still kicking around. And now I'm off to hunt for mech games for the Xbox!

There goes my productivity for today.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Fermented Tinal posted:

I had some lego castle from like 25 years ago, I think I remember seeing it on ebay awhile back for literally thousands of dollars. There's a bunch of special blocks in it, like the walls, and I've seen those sell for $Texas. My parents still have it somewhere and I think when my bro and his wife have kids they're gonna get it along with several bins of lego sets and loose blocks.
I still have those castle sets. I didn't get the biggest castle but I have nearly every other set. The medium castle, the very small one with seige tower, plus catapult, ballista, many wagons, knights etc. They're the ones I was trying to restore. I need a lot basic blocks which are no big deal (1x1 plates, holder plates, base plates, 1x2 angle, 1x1 cylinders and cones etc), but there's problem with old shields, weapons, saddles, horse harness/turntable, wagon wheels and some other unique pieces.
My kid likes them so I'd like to restore. Plus I want to restore my old space sets from late 70s and very early 80s

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 26, 2017

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I should dig out all my old Lego, I was very active with them from like 1976 through 1986. I have several space sets, and several expert builder sets. I'm pretty sure I haven't lost any of it, although I do know some of the more fragile pieces are broken. They had these tiny half long locking rings with teeth on them and they were fragile as all hell. I thought I lost all the instructions for them but 2 years ago when my mom died we cleaned out her workroom and found a box that had my name on it. Among all the memorabilia of my youth that I thought I'd lost, were all my Lego instruction books.

The little gray fuckers, I know I broke a bunch of them:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

KakerMix posted:

Nobody will miss Games Workshop

They have been arseholes since the 80s and doubled down when they realised they had overextended themselves with a huge non franchised retail arm. Not even like the rules themselves haven't been decent for over a decade anyway. They just release more and more powerful things so whales will jump onto the flavor of the month and drop a couple more grand.

If they were smart they would consolidate the retail stores into larger regional places to go play the games/make stuff, provide classes and tutorials like they used to and cut back on production while selling licenses to their back catalog that provide the instructions for 3D printers to make the sprue. Become an IP company and make your money from selling books, modeling tools and their dumb paint. Of course they are not smart and will just reduce quality, up prices, poo poo on their staff and litigate resellers and anyone who looks at a 3D printer.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

LloydDobler posted:

They had these tiny half long locking rings with teeth on them and they were fragile as all hell.
The little gray fuckers, I know I broke a bunch of them:
I have 4-6 of them and I have no idea where they came from. I'm suprised out of all the 1x1 plates and slightly bigger specialty pieces I've lost or broken, why the hell do I have these pieces and never lost or broken them, and where the hell did they come from. I've lost 99% instructions (got a lot online though), but if I don't remember the set, then whelp, no idea why I have that or those pieces. E: There's a whole bunch of the axles stuff and grey peices too, but no idea what I had. I think I just bought a few spares or gear sets for no reason and not a construction set just because I had $5 but not enough to buy anything proper with my pocket money.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Anyone looking for Lego bits needs to learn about this thing called Google. I guarantee you can get 90+% of what you're after for literally pennies. The Lego thread in DIY & hobbies can help you out too.

• Locked thread