Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Tech tree could use some work. Researching first-tier automation is literally pointless if you don't have the refining techs yet, because everything in the automation category seems to need refined metal. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dogen posted:

Gasses don’t pass through liquids, though.

oxylite immersed in water doesn't emit anything either

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Well that's unfortunate.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Is it just me, or does air pressure move gasses around VERY slowly? Like, on one side of the wall could be perfect air, the other side is near vacuum but because the opening between them is small, it takes forever to fill.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Is it just me, or does air pressure move gasses around VERY slowly? Like, on one side of the wall could be perfect air, the other side is near vacuum but because the opening between them is small, it takes forever to fill.

Yeah it's quite annoying, they need some fans or something to get some circulation going.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah it's quite annoying, they need some fans or something to get some circulation going.

Yeah, and there's no intake vents other than the pumps themselves, so it's really difficult to just keep the air circulating. Hmm. Well, hopefully it's something they will address at some point.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

It goes very slowly with small openings - you need to widen the opening or use mesh/airflow tiles if you want gases to circulate well. I try to place my air vents in open areas, widen openings or use mesh tiles to avoid bottlenecks, and make sure there's always a decent route for the gas to go where its weight is going to tell it to go.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A 3 wide opening is a lot more than 3 times more effective than a 1 wide one, too, due to how gasses seep around. I always try to make my mesh tiles 3 wide when I can due to this.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

A 3 wide opening is a lot more than 3 times more effective than a 1 wide one, too, due to how gasses seep around. I always try to make my mesh tiles 3 wide when I can due to this.

Yeah bear in mind that gasses can't mix, so if you've got like 1 gram of CO2 floating in a 1 tile opening then it will prevent any other gasses from passing through that space at all.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'd just like gas DENSITY to move around a lot more like fluids. I understand the mixing/flow may not be good through small openings, but if you have a big differential in density then the gas should flow very quickly. Bah.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Basically, the game needs more explosive decompression.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this game seems right up my alley, the winter sale has a very good price, but I must ask That Most Necessary of Questions: is it worth it in the current early access phase?

many thanks in advance :)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yes

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
The Oxygen Not Included Experience:

I had 5 down there earlier, but didn't think to take a picture.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Travic posted:

The Oxygen Not Included Experience:

I had 5 down there earlier, but didn't think to take a picture.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fully delitized franky enwrapped in filth and mud hope you enjoy.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Goddamnit Frankie.

I'm in the late game for my latest colony and I've noticed that after a while all my dupes seem to turn on "auto-sweep". They'll stop whatever they are doing and will not rest until every last item anywhere on the map is picked up.

It's happened the past two games and seems to start when I do my first clean-this-poo poo-up pass after the colony is mostly self sufficient. I tell them to sweep the base and from then on they sweep everything. Does this happen to anyone else?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Travic posted:

Goddamnit Frankie.

I'm in the late game for my latest colony and I've noticed that after a while all my dupes seem to turn on "auto-sweep". They'll stop whatever they are doing and will not rest until every last item anywhere on the map is picked up.

It's happened the past two games and seems to start when I do my first clean-this-poo poo-up pass after the colony is mostly self sufficient. I tell them to sweep the base and from then on they sweep everything. Does this happen to anyone else?

Is it a priorities thing? Dupes will store stuff autonomously if there's storage containers set up for it without needing to be specifically told to sweep. I think they go by the priority level of the container, so if you set an "accepts all" storage unit to priority 5 they'll go put stuff in it before most default tasks.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I had two workers accidentally encase a third in a tile and then everyone immediately went to bed and refused all orders to free the poor lady. She made it through the night, but she sure made some interesting noises.

This game owns.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Did you hit the Red Alert button? That should get everyone out of bed and working while an annoying siren plays.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Thought there might be something like that, but hadn't found it yet. Thanks!

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Having no borderless windowed mode is infuriating. What the heck. It's so trivial to do.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Got this during the steam sale, been doing a short run and then restarting repeatedly to apply what i've learned and get further each time. My last colony however was something of a spectacle and reminded me a ton of Space Station 13.

So I noticed after a few hours that my duplicants' immune systems were starting to tank and had gotten down to around 60% or so. Well, that's not good. A look around with the different view modes reveals a fridge completely covered in yellow dots, so I have my dupes disinfect it... to no effect whatsoever. Turns out the food inside the fridge was the problem, not the fridge itself. Well that's a loving bummer, but why is the food all lovely and poisoned? A glance around the map reveals that my main loving water reservoir is FULL of loving yellow dots! What the gently caress?!

It then occurs to me that much earlier on, an hour or two ago, a duplicant had something of a bladder mishap and peed on the floor because I was replacing the outhouse with a properly plumbed lavatory and he just couldn't hold it in. Some of it managed to drip into the reservoir, but I recall thinking to myself "Well it's just one tiny drop in a bigass tank of water, it'll just dissipate". WRONG. Those germs had taken the opportunity to multiply and completely occupy my water tank, turning what should be a clean bounty of nature into a stygian piss-filled hell; and that's the water they're using to make the Lice Loaf. Their immune systems have been tanking because they've been eating pee food for several hours. gently caress!

A glance at the research tab reveals a Water Tepidizer, which can heat the water up to get rid of the germs in it. Great, let's do that! A bit of researching and building later, I have my fancy new tepidizer installed in the piss tank, and... it tanks my whole power system single-handedly. One problem after another. So I decide gently caress it, i'll put a second coal generator in to give it the juice it needs. It is around then that my equipment all starts sparking, sputtering and misbehaving. Unbeknownst to me, the power system in this game has Considerations and it does not like that i've hooked up two giant loving industrial power plants to a tiny little ribbon wire running all over my entire base. To compound problems, stress levels are also starting to tank because the haughty little fucks working my colony have decided since they're so good at poo poo they should get better quality food and rooms, which I can't imagine is helping their immune systems at all.

So that is how my colony ended for now; with angry space men eating pee food out of an electrical hazard. All because that ONE BASTARD couldn't hold it in.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That’s pretty much oxygennotincluded.txt, you’re just missing some vomit.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I once hosed up my colony by recycling shitwater and forgetting that the purifier doesn't in fact remove germs.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I built the slime-to-algae still and misunderstood the purpose of the drain pipe. I thought "wow what a weird way to dispense algae" and five minutes later my dorm was filled with shitwater

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

I once hosed up my colony by recycling shitwater and forgetting that the purifier doesn't in fact remove germs.

My newest attempt at a colony has discovered this! Looks like it wasn't the drop of pee in the reservoir after all, but the water treatment plant wasn't really up to scratch. How do you build a functional treatment plant, then? Does it hard require the tepidizer, because that thing eats shitloads of power.

Also how do you get that hydrogen power plant thing to work? Is that one supposed to be particularly tricky?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, like the guy said above, it turns out your power grid doesn't like being run through a tiny wire! That's still the thing I'm struggling with the most, I think I learned the wrong lesson from Factorio, where you CAN hook your whole grid up any which way.

Yeah, and the distinction between "dirty water" and "water with microbes in it" is another mental hurdle. Funnily some plants prefer to be irrigated with dirty water...

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Grey Fox posted:

Thought there might be something like that, but hadn't found it yet. Thanks!
you're looking for the ! inside a diamond, just below the remaining calories display

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

I Said No posted:

Also how do you get that hydrogen power plant thing to work? Is that one supposed to be particularly tricky?

Hydrogen is relatively simple, the electrolyzer just doesn't have a direct gas connection for the hydrogen and oxygen it spews. So it boils down to three things:
1. you should isolate the output inside its own cubby.
2. you'll need some way of filtering the oxygen and the hydrogen so you aren't damaging the generator.
3. you'll need to do something with all that oxygen it generates or your filtering option is going to back up. Good thing your dupes need that to breathe!

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Don't you have to run one of those gas pump things to isolate the hydrogen, though? I've mucked with gas filters and gas pumps before but they eat quite a bit of power, is the output from the hydrogen dynamo thing enough to offset that?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I Said No posted:

Don't you have to run one of those gas pump things to isolate the hydrogen, though? I've mucked with gas filters and gas pumps before but they eat quite a bit of power, is the output from the hydrogen dynamo thing enough to offset that?

People have figured out how to do it without a filter if you do some clever construction but honestly yeah you need an external source to at least kick it off. It’s more of a way to get some power back and burn excess hydrogen than anything.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
One of the mystical thermodynamics of the ONI universe is an electrolyzer properly coupled with a generator creates energy and oxygen. That surplus can power the pump and filter needed and then some.

The trick is in the early game it can actually be hard to breath all that oxygen and later on you start needing to find the renewable water sources to keep it wet.

e. I guess the practical mass transfer is a pain too to get the numbers in the ideal case so in most cases its best to think of as some subsidy power for your electrolyzers.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 6, 2018

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
For a mechanical switch, you'll want 2 electrolyzers and one gas pump.

Put your electrolyzers on one level and make it open on the bottom (airflow or mesh tile).
Pur your gas pump in between, a couple tiles up. Make sure the sides and top are sealed. Also a good idea to seal up the gas pump around the sides so it's only open at the top.
Put the gas pump on a atmo sensor that's at the ceiling and set it to pump at >1000 or something.

The reason this works is that two gasses can't occupy the same tile. So, initially, oxygen and hydrogen will mix. But then as the hydrogen fills the top, oxygen is forced out the bottom. By having an atmo sensor only turn on the gas pump when the pressure is high, you make sure you're not pumping out all the hydrogen and thus letting oxygen get to your gas pump.

Also, make sure you have enough batteries in your grid to hold all the excess power. Your dupes will load power generators to full, which will then operate until empty. If you are making 800 W of power but only consuming 120, then the other 680 is wasted if it doesn't go into a battery. So build lots of batteries and set your generators to only work when the battery storage is low. This allows you to conserve fuel.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Of course, once you've got oxygen production going strong it introduces another, much worse enemy to contend with: Heat.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Khorne posted:

Having no borderless windowed mode is infuriating. What the heck. It's so trivial to do.
Works for me. It's a unity game, add "-popupwindow" to launch options in steam.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Truga posted:

Works for me. It's a unity game, add "-popupwindow" to launch options in steam.
That doesn't do anything for me. I tried.

edit: Oh, you have to turn off fullscreen and it works. That's good I guess.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

One natural gas geyser with 2 Natural Gas Generators is literally the best source of power. Produce enough gas to power two electric power gas plant and they only generate Dioxide that you can move to your oxygen generating Algae Terrarium. Air pressure may end up super high.

Sage Grimm posted:

Of course, once you've got oxygen production going strong it introduces another, much worse enemy to contend with: Heat.
Yes and the best plant to farm in the starting biodome got those really heat sensitive temperature growth conditions.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Toplowtech posted:

One natural gas geyser with 2 Natural Gas Generators is literally the best source of power. Produce enough gas to power two electric power gas plant and they only generate Dioxide that you can move to your oxygen generating Algae Terrarium. Air pressure may end up super high.

:agreed: There are always two natural gas geysers on a map, which together can support five natural gas generators full time (six if you cycle them on and off). The best bit is that they produce polluted water, which you can immediately turn around and pipe into fertilizer synthesizers which produce even more natural gas, which in turn can be used to spool up more generators (3:1 synthesizer to generator). It takes time to find both geysers and get it all spooled up but once you do it's basically free power forever you can expand easily when needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Ratio is 14 fertilizers, 7 generators, and 2 co2 scrubbers per geyser. Also, it's 1-2 nat gas geysers, not 2 guaranteed. Changed last patch, I think.